Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Why are new games boss fights AWFUL.......AWFUL?!

TheMarkz0ne

You want good boss fights?

Wallrider from Outlast

All, and I mean ALL the skyrim bosses

Vader Eloha in OFF

And for a good challenge:

Deerclops, Bearger, Dragonfly, or Moose/Goose from Don't Starve

All Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 bosses

The Evil Within minus the final boss fight

Fixed that for you. And I agree, that boss battle was the best boss battle in the game. I also really liked the fight with Pastel-Burnt in Zone 3. Only time in the game where I had a challenge.

May I just say at least two of those bosses (Mario 64 and Pokemon) I don't find that hard Maybe I found them hard as a kid but now I find them simple bosses. 

There seems to be this mentality that easy=bad. That's not always the case. I mean, I get where you're coming from with wanting a challenge, but a boss fight can have more great about it than just being challenging. It could be well designed, move the story further, or just have great music. Oh, and for hard bosses from newer games, have you seen the boss for Okami?

• Brohoof 1

There are plenty of new games with great boss fights. One example I can name would be The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth, which has almost nothing but challenging and memorable bosses. And that game came out last month. Also, while not quite as new (still pretty modern though), Super Meat Boy has some great boss fights as well.

There are plenty of good boss fights around, but there are also a lot more new and different genres of games; some which may not require boss fights nor benefit from them.

The Boss fights (or Boss battles as we call them) aren't that bad, but It makes things a lot challenging. For Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Charizard is my main bossing character for boss battles, but the Hardest boss I ever fought was tabuu. On Super Smash Bros. for 3DS, The Hands were easy, but not the Master Core. The Humanoid form is the most toughest form I ever fought.

Boss Battles in Kirby Games, well if I'm gonna be a Kirby Master in certain Kirby Games, I gotta do boss battles right? That all depends on which abilities I'm using, but Tornado and Stone are the last resort abilities That I'll use. In Kirby & The Amazing Mirrors, I Always Use Smash Ability in Terms of all-around and play defense. In Original Kirby Super Star, It's always mirror for me so I Don't get any Chip damage from bosses, but in the Ultra Version for the DS, well I normally use ninja, hammer, and plasma for boss battles which it includes helper to hero, and both normal and true arena.

I personally feel that bosses need to provide a challenge otherwise they aren't really a boss. Its the challenge that seperates them from just being another grunt. It is because they are the biggest, meanest, smartest, etc. that they became a boss character in the first place. They also need to further story progression or at least have a reason for being in the story in the first place.

Bosses these days I've been pitted up against have provided almost no challenge (Might just be me, Don't mean to sound braggy) or don't even provide anything really plotworthy. And I hate quick-time event bosses, where the entire fight is a quicktime event. It's not challenging, You either have to be super energized on mtn dew and energy drinks or you just have to remember what buttons to press at what time.

I go into another rant when not meaning to. Basically I think bosses need to be challenging to reassert the fact that they are a BOSS. Just because you have a fancy name and flashy looking abilities, doesn't make you a boss. Being able to set half the arena on fire and summon minions out of the flames while barely taking 10% damage in the first 5 minutes of a fight is a different story. That is a boss.

My favourite game series that has bosses in it is Borderlands, I mean those games are just so good and there boss fights are incredible I love them they're funny and provide a challenge. The raid bosses at the very end are great because they are just so damn hard especially on your own

• Brohoof 1

The InFamous series has some great boss fights and while they're older games the hidden boss fights in Kingdom Hearts were great...sephiroth and ice Titan were a bitch

Three letters: QTE

Quick-time events are stale. They don't give you a real sense of accomplishment other than "I can hit B, then X, then A, then tilt the stick left, then click the left mouse button, then eat a taco...

I mean...it hasn't worked with us before...why do devs think it still makes a boss fight rewarding?

LET US KILL YOUR BOSSES THE WAY WE SEE FIT!

My favourite game series that has bosses in it is Borderlands, I mean those games are just so good and there boss fights are incredible I love them they're funny and provide a challenge. The raid bosses at the very end are great because they are just so damn hard especially on your own

I dunno lol I solo'd UVHM in Borderlands 2. It wasn't that hard, but equipment is everything. The Bee + almost any machine gun = Pretty awesome, especially if you've got aim and distance on your side.

Edited by Space Woona

Boss fights have become way too easy.

Take Dark Souls for example, Said to be one of the hardest games in 7th generation (Lies! They could have made it tougher while keeping it fun.) There was only one real good boss fight in that game and it was a secret boss fight. The others you just needed to know how to dodge. (Take out online and the game loses its difficulty even on hard mode.)

I did enjoy The Evil Within Boss fights, they were enjoyable and intense at least so far. Haven't beat it yet.

Edited by RainbowDarth

The only time Quick time events are good for a boss fight is when you have to perform them to weaken the boss somehow. Take The Legend of Spyro game series. At the end, many of the bosses had many quick time events, however you actually had to fight them as well. You actually had to rely on your ability to dodge and fight and make sure they didn't pound you into the dirt before you could get to that quick time event. And even after the quick time event they still made you fight the boss for another 5 minutes. This would repeat 2 more times and finally the boss would be slain. If you died at any time, you would restart the boss fight from the beginning and would have to go through Fight, QTE, Harder Fight, QTE, Even Harder, etc. etc.

Well most games lack of a good boss fight because many new games doesnt give much of a challenge compared to the old games. Many new games kinda ''holds your hand'' from start to end so every one can get through it

without much effort. You shouldnt expect many hard boss fights in the futher, unless the gaming industry

takes a turn.