Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Most difficult game you've played?

FirstPonySpectre

Company of Heroes.

I play the crap out of strategy games, but unlike most, this one requires much critical thinking. You have to be extremely careful when maneuvering troops and vehicles, one wrong move and you could be put into a hole you can't crawl out of.

Binding of Isaac Rebirth on Steam is pretty difficult, in response to Daring who mentioned Super Meat Boy, Binding of Isaac and Binding of Isaac Rebirth are done by the same person. It's a really good indie game and it plays a lot like the old Zelda games where it's dungeon style and RNG based.

I cannot think of the MOST difficult game I have ever played, but it can think of a recent example, Volgarr the Viking. That game is so unforgiving and it is a case of difficulty actually ruining a game. They tried so much to make the game hard that they forgot to make the game fun. Even my brother who is really enjoying Dark Souls right now, he played Volgarr and did not like it at all. It is retro hard without any of the retro substance.

• Brohoof 1

The most difficult game that I have ever played would probably either be 007 Goldeneye for the Nintendo 64, Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64, or The Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask on (what else) the Nintendo 64.

No I take that back, it would have to be Battletoads & Double Dragon on the SNES. 

the older fire emblem games and advance war are hard. in FE, if someone dies, they are dead. awakening has too much farming. you can max out all your characters WAAYYY too early.

the older fire emblem games and advance war are hard. in FE, if someone dies, they are dead. awakening has too much farming. you can max out all your characters WAAYYY too early.

I'm fining Sacred Stones to be a walk in the park though...

Also they toned down Awakening to appeal to a broader audience. You do know Awakening was going to be the final game, but it sold so well the franchise survived.

I'm fining Sacred Stones to be a walk in the park though...

Also they toned down Awakening to appeal to a broader audience. You do know Awakening was going to be the final game, but it sold so well the franchise survived.

yea sacred stones was easy. problem with awakening, its either too easy or too hard. luntatic mode is a challenge, but still not enough. Lunatic+ though is 4x the enemies at 3 times the power of your own units. Those OP skills make it not fun. you have to reset the game several times because sometimes with the placement of skills on enemies, it makes it literaly impossible. also, you cant get a bad level up in the first 5 chapters or your fucked.

Edited by Elegron

yea sacred stones was easy. problem with awakening, its either too easy or too hard. luntatic mode is a challenge, but still not enough. Lunatic+ though is 4x the enemies at 3 times the power of your own units. Those OP skills make it not fun. you have to reset the game several times because sometimes with the placement of skills on enemies, it makes it literaly impossible. also, you cant get a bad level up in the first 5 chapters or your fucked.

It's called Lunatic+ for a reason, i.e. nice try playing this, to bad you'll die.

they could nerf the skills a little. a single enemy should not be able to wipe out your entire party on his own in the first chapter

I can't think of a specific game, but I can say that I did give up on 2048.
I only made it to the 1024 tile once.

;_;

heres something to motivate you, theres a pony version. and thats further than i got.

blazing blade was fun though. that game made my childhood, and beating the dragon...

Gonna have to give the Most Difficult Game award to Oregon Trails (yes, the DOS one from a good decade before I was even hatched). I now know the meaning of pain, as my friends/family all die one by one because I decide I can ford the river w/o a problem, to discover I'm wrong and drown my best friend. At least with Contra you were dead suddenly and didn't need to see everybody slowly dying around you from fevers :P

Gonna have to give the Most Difficult Game award to Oregon Trails (yes, the DOS one from a good decade before I was even hatched). I now know the meaning of pain, as my friends/family all die one by one because I decide I can ford the river w/o a problem, to discover I'm wrong and drown my best friend. At least with Contra you were dead suddenly and didn't need to see everybody slowly dying around you from fevers :P

28202%20-Oregon%20Trail%20Dysentery-2.jp

You need the honorary I almost beat Oregon Trail shirt...

• Brohoof 1

the older fire emblem games and advance war are hard.

That depends of the player.

-Fire Emblem 2 has the grinding on the world map+dungeons,and there's the easy mode which multiplies the earned experience by 2,and you don't need items to promote,so it can be easy to overlevel your characters.

-Fire Emblem 3 isn't hard if you know what to do.

-On Fire Emblem 4,the player's decissions can make the game easier or harder(dependig of which pairings do you make,or even not making any pairings at all)

-Fire Emblem 5 is difficulty at its finiest,but offering a solid gameplay.

On Advance Wars 1,the only 2 real challenges are Rivals! and AC!Every level,but you don't have any of them to complete the game normally,and,on future installments of the franchise,the AC became more tame compared to the original one.

awakening has too much farming. you can max out all your characters WAAYYY too early.

That's half-true.

If you don't have DLCs,and you're playing on higher difficulty settings,the only way to level up is via Spotpass,which can be reducted to just 1 Exp per kill at certain point.

Is true that Awakening has been made more accesible to newbies(like with the Casual mode,first introducted on Shin Monshō no Nazo ~Hikari to Kage no Eiyū~),and the Easy mode,but it still can give some challenge.

they could nerf the skills a little. a single enemy should not be able to wipe out your entire party on his own in the first chapter

The problem comes that Fire Emblem Awakening removed Nihil,one of the most important skills of the other skill-based Fire Emblem games

Nihil was a skill that,basically,nullified enemy skills,no matter how powerful they were(except probably one or two,but those weren't really powerful).With its removal,they broke all the Skill system,even when they nerfed a lot of skills,like Sol and Luna,which now have a halved effect,and Meteor/Astra,which now deals half damage,or even Wrath,which now only increases Critical Rate by 20,compared to giving an automatic critical like it used to give when your health was less than 50%.

Basically,both Lunatic and Lunatic+ are simply unfair,and that can't be counted as "hardest",as the difficulty comes of how handicapped the player feels during those first stages.

blazing blade was fun though. that game made my childhood, and beating the dragon...

Blazing Sword was the most solid of the GBA versions,as it wasn't unfair like Fuujin no Tsurugi(the axes had very low hit rate,and reinforcements moved directly when they appeared) or Sacred Stones(too easy overall).Also,all the items were balanced to make the experience more enjoyable,except the spell Luna,but that's not important here.

Also,the Dragon was too easy,as it could be 1-round killed with Luna(which had too much accuracy,and ignored Resistance),something that,ironically,Sacred Stones fixed by reducting its base accuracy from 95 to 60.