Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are the sirens And Windigoes RELATED?

Changelingking

If i'm sure The dazzling's true forms resemble windigoes. A LOT. (And then there's that elbow fin that i'm not too comfortable with....) Both are Translucent. (Although they MAY just be astral projections.) And BOTH have that same body type. And BOTH feed of of negative energy. (Or magic) So... ARE THE SIRENS AND THE WINDIGOES RELATED? I'll leave you to discuss it.

• Brohoof 3

The Windigos(a.k.a Wendigos) and the sirens may look closely related, but might not be. The Windigos seem to just appear and reappear when hatred is in an area, and don't seem to actually benefit from this and have it by natural power. The sirens do the same, but benefit from it(by getting more power) and hold the power in their necklaces(it's either that or the power is to fuel the necklace's power rather than store it). The necklaces grant the sirens their voice and the Windigos do it without a device of the sort. They do look alike, but their power techniques are different.

Windigo: 

Windigoe_by_orangel8989-d4ji0yv.png

Siren in true form: 

large.png

• Brohoof 1

Probably not they may both have originated from the sea (Maybe). But I think they are two completely different things. As mentioned above their lore's are completely different, but they could be the cannon could prove me wrong well just have to see.

Edited by BROKENLOYALTY

• 9 months later...

I'll put my two cents in.

I'm working on a fanfic that includes this, so I did a little research. The Dazzlings have very similar personalities as the ones used to describe one another in Hearths Warming Eve when the windigos were shown.

Princess Platinum called Hurricane a brute. Adagio, whom I believe is Hurricane, is a brute becuse she was seen grabbing Aria a few times and even Sunset when Sunset tried to touch her amulet.

Chancellor Puddinghead called Princess Platinum a snob. Aria, Princess Platinum, is a snob because she sounded like she could care less about anything and everything that doesn't involve her (Sounds like Princess Platinum, doesn't it?").

And finally, Hurricane called Puddinghead a numskull. Sonata... need I explain?

I know the insults are worded to be directed at the race in general, but we all know they were meant for each other.

So, to answer your question: yes, and no. They are exact replicas of Windigos with different powers and more than one track mind.

oops, need to say how they became who they are.

So, Clover did it by using a weird spell that she cast on the founders. Their joint memory of the event I explained above altered her spell and turned them into creatures similar in appearance to Windigos, but their personalities and power differ.

Perhaps it was an enchantment for the founders, but it instead enchanted their voice and did all this nonsense

I used to think this exact same thing myself.  But when I gave the issue some serious thought, I realized that this wasn't the case.

The sirens are clearly aquatic in nature while the windigos appear to be purely elemental.  The name WINDigo suggests that they are some form of elemental spirit, either of air or snow or both. So, while they do share a similar appearance, they aren't even remotely related.

Feeding off of negative emotions is a striking similarity, I agree, but it's not one that is exclusive to these two races.  Gaining power from emotions is a common theme in MLP.  The Changelings feed off of love while the Crystal Heart is empowered by hope.  So, again, this commonality doesn't indicate that sirens and windigos are related. 

• 2 weeks later...

Well, they do share some similarities, but the Windigoes seem to be much more aerial and elemental in nature. The sirens are clearly aquatic but do levitate, however, even though their true forms shown in the movie are ghostly avatars summoned by their human selves, the Fiendship is Magic comic shows they're "fleshy" and corporeal in nature unlike Windigoes. Perhaps they're rather distant relatives or belong to different branches of equine emotional parasites.

• 3 years later...
On 10/21/2015 at 4:46 PM, Benny said:

I'll put my two cents in.

I'm working on a fanfic that includes this, so I did a little research. The Dazzlings have very similar personalities as the ones used to describe one another in Hearths Warming Eve when the windigos were shown.

Princess Platinum called Hurricane a brute. Adagio, whom I believe is Hurricane, is a brute becuse she was seen grabbing Aria a few times and even Sunset when Sunset tried to touch her amulet.

Chancellor Puddinghead called Princess Platinum a snob. Aria, Princess Platinum, is a snob because she sounded like she could care less about anything and everything that doesn't involve her (Sounds like Princess Platinum, doesn't it?").

And finally, Hurricane called Puddinghead a numskull. Sonata... need I explain?

I know the insults are worded to be directed at the race in general, but we all know they were meant for each other.

So, to answer your question: yes, and no. They are exact replicas of Windigos with different powers and more than one track mind.

oops, need to say how they became who they are.

So, Clover did it by using a weird spell that she cast on the founders. Their joint memory of the event I explained above altered her spell and turned them into creatures similar in appearance to Windigos, but their personalities and power differ.

Perhaps it was an enchantment for the founders, but it instead enchanted their voice and did all this nonsense

I like there theory but there's an issue with it.  Commander Hurricane and Clover the Clever are both canonically stallions while Adagio and Aria definitely are not

• 9 months later...
1 minute ago, Super Splashee said:

But here is a better question for you: Will the Windigoes go away if you giggle at them? (Pinkie Pie style)

Probably. they are attracted and nourished by negative emotions, repelled and hurt by positive ones.  Have to be genuine of course though, but then, Pinkie always is.....

• Brohoof 1

1 hour ago, CypherHoof said:

Probably. they are attracted and nourished by negative emotions, repelled and hurt by positive ones.  Have to be genuine of course though, but then, Pinkie always is.....

I actually wanted to bring this up in a pony discussion. I wondered how Pinkie Pie's S01E02 song would affect spirits of this type. You know, spirits that just have one purpose, and not complex emotions.

This thread was just perfect for bring it up.

Just now, Super Splashee said:

I actually wanted to bring this up in a pony discussion. I wondered how Pinkie Pie's S01E02 song would affect spirits of this type. You know, spirits that just have one purpose, and not complex emotions.

This thread was just perfect for bring it up.

Pinkie in general would be highly dangerous for them, I think. Despite her performance as chancellor puddinghead, I suspect something like the Smile song would be near-lethal for any windigos in the area....

• Brohoof 1