Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Female changelings?

Changelingking

My headcanon is that Changelings are a eusocial species, where each Changeling is placed in a certain role at birth, and which role this is can be dependant on sex. Soldier changelings are a male-only role, while females might mostly stay near the hive (I swear I didn't mean for it to sound so sexist).

• Brohoof 1

ALL changelings are male
I may be out of the loop, but where was this stated? Unless there was conclusive evidence that all changelings are male, what's to say there aren't females among their ranks, or even that all changelings are female (being insectoid creatures, this would make more sense to me)?
  • Brohoof 5

As you know ALL changelings are male.(Not counting chrysalis.) But has there been ANY FEMALE changelings?(Again Not Counting Chrysalis) NO. Make one up if you will.

How do you know that they're all male?

If they're anything like ants or bees, then the workers would be all FEMALE.

• Brohoof 4

Since all the rank-and-file changelings we've seen have been basically identical (and they didn't say otherwise in the episode) who's to say that some of them aren't female? In fact, if we take the insect analogy all the way, all workers (including soldiers) would be females.

As for OCs, I've seen both male and female changelings, in both RPs and art.

• Brohoof 2

As it's unlikely that we'll ever get canon confirmation of Changeling genders, this conversation seems unlikely to accomplish much.

That said, I honestly found it hard to tell whether the drones were supposed to be male or female.

The animators seem to enjoy creating ambiguously gendered characters. Just look at the Breezies.

I don't believe it was stated that all of the changelings are male. Just because a character doesn't have eyelashes doesn't mean they're a guy you know ;)

I also subscribe to the eusocial species headcannon. I would have to further research eusocial species to give a guess at what genders/sexes might appear in what areas. On the other hand, perhaps they aren't even gendered or sexed. We have no indication that changeling society has any concept of gender, and with all the biological oddities found in Equestria I wouldn't say it's impossible for there to be creatures who have biological sex, or a different one from those that can be found on Earth.

This is all very fun to consider for a biology student such as myself. So many possibilities, so many things to think about *nerd squealing* 

• Brohoof 4

My headcanon is that Changelings are a eusocial species, where each Changeling is placed in a certain role at birth, and which role this is can be dependant on sex. Soldier changelings are a male-only role, while females might mostly stay near the hive (I swear I didn't mean for it to sound so sexist).

I see where you are coming from, and I think that the females stay near the hive because they have to learn to maintain the hive as the queen first before settling to move it to different areas like what Chrysalis was doing. The role of the females are basically the same roles in the alicorn status which is government. Males on the other hand have to work and support the queen and protect other future queens. The only males that do not work in the hive are the drones, and they are there for reproductive purposes. All I can say is that if you want to understand the changeling colony, look at the bees first. 

My head canon I made that I really like for changeling is that there is male and female and they all look different.  In Canterlot they all looked the same as a military tactic.  Seeing 100s of the same looking thing approaching has a natural intimidation factor.  I like the idea that they were in "uniform" so to speak in the battle to further aid in confusion giving them an advantage.

Somebody else (cannot remember their name, sorry!) said that Celestia's guard isn't really all the same, its just enchanted armor. Once taken off though the guard returns to looking like a normal pony. Maybe Chrysalis did the same thing, all the changelings are different but are enchanted to look the same! That means that males and females would look exactly the same! So yes, it would make sense that there were female changelings

Edited by Princess Oceangem
  • Brohoof 1

@@Princess Oceangem

Even if that was true they threw that out the window with Flash Sentry, since he's not a solid white pony in his armor. 

Even if all the changelings (save Chrysalis) we've seen thus far are males, there is chrysalis, so there has to be females somehow. Or we could go all nerdy and say it's like ganondorf and the gerudos.

Edited by Bright Bastion

Somebody else (cannot remember their name, sorry!) said that Celestia's guard isn't really all the same, its just enchanted armor. Once taken off though the guard returns to looking like a normal pony. Maybe Chrysalis did the same thing, all the changelings are different but are enchanted to look the same! Or I'm just weird!

I know that headcanon and I love that one too! ^^

I think changlings mostly maybe Genderless due

to the shapes they have to shift too,  or it could be

like a ant have where all the workers are female but

don't mate and have kids! 

Hey maybe it's like an ant hive. There's like one female that runs the whole show, like a queen. Yeah the mama. She's badass man, I mean big!

On a serious note, I don't remember it being established that all changelings were male, so it's still up in the air for your interpretation. (Assuming it's even worth interpreting.)

Edited by SpaceOnion

I assume it's through OC, or maybe they function like a bee colony, where it's queen chrysalis who functions as the mother to birth and entire army of male changelings

Or it could be possible that there are, maybe they function differently

Apologies to a several of the posters above, but insect hives (such as ants, bees, wasps, etc.) do not have one female, and thousands of males. That's not how they work at all. You get a Queeen, yes, which is effectively just an egg production system, several males who do nothing but 'service' the Queen, and thousands of sterile females as workers, soldiers, etc. The sterile females are effectively genderless.

So if the changelings are in fact supposed to follow this model, all the 'soldiers' seen in the Canterlot Wedding episode were in fact sterile females.

• Brohoof 2

I highly doubt that Queen Chrysalis is the only female.

Think about it; how is it possible for Queen Chrysalis to produce only male changelings? It's possible she produced a female changeling at some point.

Like some others said, maybe they just play a certain role. Maybe female changelings work in and around the hive, while male changelings work outside of the hive.

Dr. Changeling

As was pointed out in other posts, hive insects typically have 1 mature female that basically just lays hundreds or even thousands of eggs, a few sexually active males that do nothing else, & most of the work is done by sexually immature females.

If this model holds true, Chrysalis isn't just their boss, she is their mommy.  However, w insects, you NEVER find the queen outside the hive once they have started laying eggs.

So, I'll go w "they are all 1 gender" -if gender means anything to a species that can change that fast.

Hey maybe it's like an ant hive. There's like one female that runs the whole show, like a queen. Yeah the mama. She's badass man, I mean big!

Apologies to a several of the posters above, but insect hives (such as ants, bees, wasps, etc.) do not have one female, and thousands of males. That's not how they work at all. You get a Queeen, yes, which is effectively just an egg production system, several males who do nothing but 'service' the Queen, and thousands of sterile females as workers, soldiers, etc. The sterile females are effectively genderless.

So if the changelings are in fact supposed to follow this model, all the 'soldiers' seen in the Canterlot Wedding episode were in fact sterile females.

Honestly, I thought the criticism I would get would be "Bees, man. Bees have hives!"

Either way, with those things running around? You can count me out.

For all I know, they're gonna come outta the goddamn walls, then that's it man! Game over man! Game over!

However, if Chrysalis goes anywhere near Twilight, (totally not my waifu,) I won't hesitate to tell her to "Get away from her, you bitch!"

But why bother? She seems to always have everything under control. Why don't we put her in charge?

You know what I think we should do? I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure. I don't care about any property damage. They can bill me!

Edited by SpaceOnion

Not in the show..... The changelings is a swarm, much like bees. Queen Chysalis does her queenly duty and mates with select male drones, to populate the hive, while those not selected for mating protect the hive. Simple right?