Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fight or Flight

TheDashingRainbow

I was wondering if you 'fight or flight' during a physical conflict.

If someone were to come up to you and threaten you.. would you run or fight him?

Let's say you don't have any weapon.. just your fists.

Fight or Flight if it was just fisticuffs?

FoF if he had a weapon such as a knife?

FoF if he had a weapon such as a chainsaw?

FoF if he had a weapon such as a gun (Let's say it's a revolver)?

*Feel free to add more outcomes*

Now.. answer those questions in this scenario as well.

What if your favorite pony was real (Or someone you're close to).. and you knew he was inflicting physical pain to him/her.

Then what would do?

If it was fist combat I would fight.. same goes for him having a knife..

I'm pretty cocky and have way too much self-confidence.. At some points I wish I had less self-confidence..

Now.. if this guy was inflicting pain on someone I loved.. I would fight if it was fists.. knife.. and gun.. if he was up-close to me with the gun.. wouldn't want to take him on if I had to run 100 feet while attempting to dodge bullets...

(Too lazy to proof read.. :P )

I'd definitely like run away begging for my life at every circumstance. I hate conflict, but if someone was threatening and hurting someone I cared about I'd probably muster the courage to knock the crap outta whoever.

For me it's not flight or fight....

It's pit them in the hospital, or put them in the morgue.

Lol, that's fight.

----

For me it'd probably be fight, but if the dude has a knife im outta there, im not trying to look like a hardass.

Though anything can be used as a weapon, so I might try to fight with something if he had a knife. A shoe could be a shield from a knife, your belt could be a whip, keys could be a weapon, especially if theyre on a lanyard, throw some sand in his eyes. you have a lot of options you just gotta think. And then add on top of that fight or flight thing, when that actually kicks in, and you feel the adrenaline, it's something else.

If he was trying to harm a loved one I'd probably go ham on him.

and i actually have a story for the chainsaw one, my cousin worked at a haunted house one year and i was outside of it and she actually got all 5 chainsaw guys to surround me, first one came up to me, and they just started flocking, i picked up a chair and actually tried to fend them off with it, and i ended up throwing it and HAULED ASS down the street, like i left those guys in the dust. So there ya go. 

Lol, that's fight.

----

For me it'd probably be fight, but if the dude has a knife im outta there, im not trying to look like a hardass.

Though anything can be used as a weapon, so I might try to fight with something if he had a knife. A shoe could be a shield from a knife, your belt could be a whip, keys could be a weapon, especially if theyre on a lanyard, throw some sand in his eyes. you have a lot of options you just gotta think. And then add on top of that fight or flight thing, when that actually kicks in, and you feel the adrenaline, it's something else.

If he was trying to harm a loved one I'd probably go ham on him.

and i actually have a story for the chainsaw one, my cousin worked at a haunted house one year and i was outside of it and she actually got all 5 chainsaw guys to surround me, first one came up to me, and they just started flocking, i picked up a chair and actually tried to fend them off with it, and i ended up throwing it and HAULED ASS down the street, like i left those guys in the dust. So there ya go. 

Lmao.. the chainsaw story of yours is awesome.. thanks for the laugh! If people surrounded me with chainsaws I would probably start flailing my arms.. them when their confused.. I fall the the floor and roll into them!! Perfect plan!! Muahahaha!! 

If it's just my personal wellbeing at stake, I'd take flight. I'm just not battle-ready, to put it mildly :P

If someone else was endangered though, then I'd take a risk and fight back. I wouldn't be able to cope if I knew I left someone behind to die/get hurt. 

In most cases I tend to fight, I can't run very fast or rather at least not for long enough to get away from a pursuer but can handle myself in a fight and can in the right circumstances can become a complete monster. 

That depends on a lot of factors.

Fight if I think I can win, otherwise run.

No, just no.  Knife fights are a great way to die horribly.  Just run to fight another day.

When used as a weapon, Chainsaws are arguably just as dangerous to the user as the victim.  I would still run, but would now benefit from the fact that the chainsaw wielder would likely injure himself if he tried to pursue.

The thing about guns is you can't outrun bullets.  If the attacker is close by then I would lunge for him and attack him, better to close where I can control the gun then letting him shoot me in the back at his leisure.  Otherwise I would run for cover. 

Edited by Twilight Dirac

It all depends on range and reaction speed. Sometimes fighting is a correct reaction, and sometimes running away is. But there are various situation and scenarios in which i would react differently.

If i was in melee range, i would choose Fight in all three situations for two basic conclusions:

A. Turning tail and starting to run would also take time (a fraction of reaction time in which my opponent can swing his weapon/ fire his gun at my back).

B. If i get to make the first action, i can avert tragedy if i disable them on the first move. Risky, but possible.

For this scenario, at least the way i see it, there is no other option.

However... if there's several arms' length away from me and my opponent, and they're carrying a weapon, the situation may change. If it's a heavy weapon, a chainsaw as was suggested, i would logically choose flight:

A. A large weapon effectively creates distance between me and my opponent, dangerously lowering my chances of landing a hit while i'm taking serious damage.

B. Logically, a large or unwieldy weapon would slow my foe down. Since i'm unhindered, choosing flight creates and ample advantage in this scenario for me.

C. I won't lie, i'd be probably very terrified at my disadvantage, the adrenaline and desire to prolong my continued existence will fill me with energy and allow me to retreat faster.

If it's a small weapon (weight or shape makes the aforementioned arguments negligible), or a gun (if it is, I might already be screwed), and there's enough distance to contact and react before my foe does, fight, if only for the off chance they already have the intent to do harm to me and are prepared. Otherwise i should try my luck running away.

However... that last scenario you described.

I can't stand to see someone close to me suffer when i can prevent it. I'd go berserk and assault whoever's hurting them with little concern for my safety and well-being at that point.

Edited by Random Insomniac

I have in real life  been in things like this.  Fighting or running is some thing you have to make at that time with the choose you have.

If someone were to come up to you and threaten you.. would you run or fight him? I am in fear for my life and does this person have a way to carry out this threth? I would call the cops cuase this is not worth it.

Let's say you don't have any weapon.. just your fists. Fight or Flight if it was just fisticuffs?  No, i only fight when need be.

FoF if he had a weapon such as a knife?   get some room and look for a weapon that long like a tree limb or pipe (everything's a weapon so unless i am nude i have some kind of weapon near/on me). 

FoF if he had a weapon such as a chainsaw?  is it started and running?    run.

FoF if he had a weapon such as a gun (Let's say it's a revolver)?  NEVER FIGHT SOME WITH A GUN>

If I were innocent and/or scared, I'd rather leave that situation fast. Because I do not want to get into any fights. I'm very peaceful, so therefore I'd leave.

However, if someone (or somepony) makes me mad to a certain extent (I can only tolerate so much before I get to a breaking point), then I would fight to defend myself. If nothing goes well after that and there is no point in further fighting or arguing, then I'll instantly leave that situation without hesitation.

Edited by Jonny Music

If I know that I don't stand a chance, I would be smart and retreat.

I would stand my ground and fight if I had to, though. No doubt.

I don't care what the odds are, who I'm against, or whatever the situation is, I will fight. It wouldn't matter to me, I'm going to stand up for what I believe in no matter what.

For me, it's circumstantial. Am I with other people? Are they with other people? Can I run? How close am I to them? Am I armed?Am I protecting myself, or a loved one? How much space is available in my environment? All of that aside, seven years ago I would have shown whoever is attacking me that yes, there is indeed a 'behind your trachea.' However, after training in my martial art for seven years, I can say that I would just not engage. Recently, someone pulled a knife on me downtown. Instead of using all of my skills to send him to the morgue, like I had always fantisized, I just pushed him aside and kept walking.

I was wondering if you 'fight or flight' during a physical conflict.

If someone were to come up to you and threaten you.. would you run or fight him?

Let's say you don't have any weapon.. just your fists.

*Feel free to add more outcomes*

Now.. answer those questions in this scenario as well.

What if your favorite pony was real (Or someone you're close to).. and you knew he was inflicting physical pain to him/her.

Then what would do?

If it was fist combat I would fight.. same goes for him having a knife..

I'm pretty cocky and have way too much self-confidence.. At some points I wish I had less self-confidence..

Now.. if this guy was inflicting pain on someone I loved.. I would fight if it was fists.. knife.. and gun.. if he was up-close to me with the gun.. wouldn't want to take him on if I had to run 100 feet while attempting to dodge bullets...

(Too lazy to proof read.. :P )

fists. fight

knife. fight

chainsaw. flight

gun. flight.

I can defend against a fist and knife.

Please, Rainbow wouldn't let anyone get the best of her so there'd be no need for help  >_>

• Brohoof 1