Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

KSP Pony Mod - looking for pony programmers

Comet Tail

Hey there,

I got an idea at one point. There are a LOT of mods out there for Kerbal Space Program, but so far, to my shock and horror, I haven't seen any pony ones...

So I'm looking to assemble a small team to develop a mod for Kerbal Space Program!

426568__safe_oc_oc+only_parody_space_art

(click for source)

So far, I have a Skype group set up with a total of two members; so we're obviously looking to grow quite a bit.

Currently, my first tier goals will be:

1. Replace Kerbal models with animated pony models that move in a quadrapedal fashion.

2. Using Texture Replacer as a template, reverse-engineer its code so ponies can have varied coats. (Texture replacer gives Kerbals unique textures)

If we finish those and are looking for more to do, there are some optional second-tier goals that may prove more difficult and are less essential (such as replacing the inside-craft icons with 2d ponies that generally look better than 3d ponies.)

Needed Skills:
(Rather tentative, I'm not completely sure what will be necessary, but here's what we're probably going to be working with. You only need one, of course!)
* C# Programming
* Familiarity with Unity
* Texturing (very basic, mind you)
* Ability to hunt down information!
* Public Relations? (Art, advertising, etc)

For the pony models, we can simply use Gary's Mod models to start - or even better yet, better pony models from elsewhere. Apparently it's pretty simple to add pony models. The hard part looks to be modifying the game's original code to change the models used for the Kerbals, as opposed to adding part models.

Anyways, just reply here and send me a PM. I've got a Skype group set up and would much prefer to use that as our chat locale.

• Brohoof 1

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Well, here's an idea - program a contract into the mod that is, "Rescue Nightmare Moon from the Mun's/Moon's surface." If you want, you could expand it to say "Rescue Nightmare Moon and Dawn from the surface of the Moon/Mun."

• 1 month later...

Hey, @Comet Tail

We have a new dev/pony game subforum! Letting you know we're relocating pony game fanart topics from Other Fanworks to here: the general Pony Games, Apps, and Dev Projects section.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I've tried looking a while back and couldn't find any :\

So I left it be, because all I've found was some Equestrian flags.

And I've been getting back in Unity for some practise runs with code. I am interested in helping out, but I wouldn't be able to use Skype ;n; I prefer Discord~

I would love to gallop around the surface of the Mun as a pony, collecting science, and hopping about :D

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah, I've tried looking a while back and couldn't find any :\

So I left it be, because all I've found was some Equestrian flags.

And I've been getting back in Unity for some practise runs with code. I am interested in helping out, but I wouldn't be able to use Skype ;n; I prefer Discord~

I would love to gallop around the surface of the Mun as a pony, collecting science, and hopping about :D

Well, with Veon's permission, perhaps you could poke around and find out how to put a pony model in the game?

Does Unity allow you to put skeletons onto different meshes? If so, you could develop things for the SFM pony models without a spacesuit model, then once someone makes us some good models, we could just use those.

I've actually poked into modelling quite a bit in the past. I've only touched on experimenting with biological forms, though. Mostly I just need to learn how to use extrude properly... That, and maybe get something better than gmax. Problem is I don't like to pirate and I don't like to spend freakishly huge sums of money on a hobby, either, and Blender is the devil to try to learn after being familiar with gmax.

What other options are there? Is milkshape any better than gmax?

Not spacesuit, but my one attempt at 3d stuff:

QP9t4fe.png

Actually, if there's collar-thingies on the joints or something so they don't need to be smoothed then this wouldn't be an issue...