Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has anyone in your family served in the military?

Lisa

Do you have anyone in your family (currently alive or not) who served in the military?

I just found out recently that my Great-Grandfather was a Lance Sergeant who served as an ANZAC soldier in World War 1.

• Brohoof 8

My paternal grandfather was an engineer in the RAF during the second world war, and for some time after it. I believe his father before him was a pilot in the RAF in the first world war, but I'm not 100% sure about that.

If you go back to the first half of the 20th century, especially in most of Europe, you're almost guaranteed to find at least one relative who was involved in the military.

• Brohoof 2

I do know that my grandfather was in the army reserves for the Vietnam War. It isn't the most surprising role when in a military, but I thought it was a nice little fact about my family.

• Brohoof 2

I know my dad has served in the Vietnam War. He's told me about it many times. However, he didn't fight on the front lines or anything. I still can't remember what he said he did when he was in the war. XD

• Brohoof 2

My dad was a tanker during the Cold War. When the russians entered Czchoslovakia and we refused to go in with them, they mobilized the army waiting for a russia "punishment". He told me he never knew that people could sleep while standing =o

My great-grandads fought in bothe WW! (on opposite sides--->Hungary/Romania) and in WW2...same side this time =/

• Brohoof 2

My grandfathers (paternal and maternal) fought in one of those independence wars.

It was the Liberation War in 1971. You don't know? Well, it was when East Pakistan was going to be separated from the rest of Pakistan and become what-it-is-now Bangladesh, but Pakistan refused and a war started.

I don't know more about how they served in the army. My maternal grandfather told me about it, just only that he fought in the war.

• Brohoof 2

My dad was in the Royal Navy for a short while, as was his dad (my Granddad) and my mothers dad (my Grandpa)

My Granddad signed up during WW2, and spent most of his naval career from what I hear as a P.O.W. in Japan. He went back to civilian work at a dock when the war finished and married my Nana.

My dad signed up at 17 (I think in 1973), and didn't stay for long because he went to University and met my mother.

No idea about my Grandapas story 

• Brohoof 2

When my dad was in my age military service was still obligatory to men so he was recruited into an army. Not that he had much choice, other choice was jail. 

There were no wars in those times that he could fight on so he only was through military training and eventually left the army, so that he can stay with family without being called, because "important training". He made decision when one such training took place in time when I was about to be born. 

Not sure about my grandfather though. I don't think he thought on wars, because I heard from him about how bad civilian's life was in Poland in 50s and 60s. 

My mom too was called to be trained as first-aid worker for military. From what she told she managed to get pretty high rank after basic training. She's not happy about it though as it basically means that in case of war she is one of first people they will try to throw to fight. 

• Brohoof 1

My cousin had fully gave up on high school and work to pursue to join the army

He was beyond dedicated, as I've never seen him this serious to participate, as he got better and earned more strength each time I see him

Unfortunately, because he doesn't have his legal documentation, they dropped him off of training because of legal course action, and so far, he's hoping to get his files done to go right back in

• Brohoof 1

Both my grandparents served in WWII, my maternal grandfather enlisted in the Navy in '45 so the war was over before he could see combat. My paternal grandfather served in the Pacific as a plane spotter. He went through some pretty rough stuff, from what I heard, having to hide from the Japanese while sick with Malaria.  He also saw them torture the islanders, presumably for helping the Americans.

My great-uncle was in Europe, but I don't know anything else about it besides that he got a sword from a dead German officer.

My dad was drafted during Vietnam, but he was in communications at a radome near the North Korean border, and spent a lot of time listening to morse code, filling out paperwork, and getting into trouble with his superiors.  A good number of his stories involve alcohol. He did see some North Korean boats get shot down by South Korean jets and a North Korean MiG get lost and crash land on a beach.  The South Koreans tore it up for scrap. Guess they didn't want the free MiG.

• Brohoof 1

Well starting off with my great grandfather who served in ww2 as a radio operator in the desert, his older brother served in the raf and was thought to have fought in the battle of Britian, his younger brother fought as an infantryman at Dunkirk and in Africa. And beyond them are those who served in ww1. I know that the one I desended from served in the trenches throughout the whole war. 2 others served in the navy. Beyond that I know that all the males in the family served in the british army. Plus my grandfather tells me that one of these guys served in the American civil war as a confederate soldier. Our family goes back to around the battle of Hastings and we belive they man that started the family was a archer for the English. But that's only legend that past down.

My dad is retired, he was in the army. Went over to Iraq like 4 times or something.

As for my other family...umm...my great grandpa was in the navy, but he died a few years ago. I don't know anything other than that, I don't talk to any of my family. Most of them I don't even like sooooo....

• Brohoof 1

My paternal grandfather was in WW1, (don't know about Mom's side of the family) my father in WWII, I was in US Marines in mid 1970s. Never made it through boot camp, but I was in. 

I'm cross eyed.  There was a line on the form "Are you cross eyed?"  Being a smart assed kid, I checked "No"  I swear. The Eye Doctor Never Noticed!   This did not inspire confidence in me, but my hometown had 40%+ unemployment at the time (the steel mills were closing) & Viet Nam was over, so...

• Brohoof 1

I had a few but most notable was my step father, he was in the army and actually had a top Secert clearance cause he knew stuff about the strategic defense of our country. Don't worry he never spoke anything he knew,he took to the grave, he took it extremely seriously. He got full military honors on his burial it was very nice

By the way he served during Veitnam, wasn't in the war though

Edited by DaReaper
  • Brohoof 1

I've had lots of my family serve in the military. Two of my uncles serves in Vietnam. One uncle was in the USMC but not when a war was going on. My cousin got killed in Vietnam. I had another cousin in the Korean War. My Grandfather was in World War II, my Great-Grandfather was in World War I, and I had 3 family members fight for the Confederacy and 1 member fight for the Union in the American Civil War.

• Brohoof 2

My dad's uncle was in the Vietnam war and he said it was terrifying jumping off that helicopter, and he lost his right arm and leg from a landmine. My dad is named after him because they weren't sure he was going to survive.

• Brohoof 1

I was in the Marine Corps from 2007-2012. I was in Afghanistan for a year in the Hemland province out of Camp Leatherneck. I was 5811/5812. Military Police and Military Working Dog Handler. My job was to find IEDs and clear paths with my dog.

• Brohoof 4

I don't have any living family members in the military, but my Grandpa and Grandma from my dad's side was a Doctor and a Nurse in WWII.  From my Mom's side, her Grandpa was in the Navy.

I had no idea since we signed up for USAA.  I had no idea that only Military families can sign up for it.  It blew my mind that we were able to sign up for it.  I love USAA, they treat us right where they have no ATM fees.  They also pay for fees on different ATMs for up to $15.  It's so awesome!  :wub:

• Brohoof 1