Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Has anyone in your family served in the military?

Lisa

Let me think....

One of my grandmother's brothers served as a soldier in the Army during the Vietnam war and another member in her family served in the Korean War (I think)...

Before that, one of my grandfather's brothers served on the USS Scamp (SS-277) during WWII at the rank of Electrician's Mate. The submarine currently lays at the bottom of the ocean south of Tokyo Bay. It is unknown where exactly or why the submarine sank....so the ship, its crew, and my grandfather's brother are at the bottom of the ocean as casualties of the war.

No one in my immediate family served in the military, but my great-uncle served in the National Guard, and my step-grandfather served in the Vietnam war.

(edited)

One of my (older) relatives was a Major General in the US army before he retired.  I forgot what war he was in.

Also, some of my other older male relatives were in the reserves or marines.

Edited by Wyzecat
  • Brohoof 1

My grandfather (paternal) served in the military, don't know which branch, but at his funeral, bagpipes were played, and I cried (mostly because of the bagpipes).

Multiple cousins:

One of my cousins served in Iraq - Army - he was a nurse/anesthetist.
Another cousin was in the Navy, last I knew of him he was stationed in Japan.
Likely multiple other cousins, but can't think off the top of my head.

I'd say plenty more of my not-so-close family are also vets (or still in service).

~ Miles

My paternal grandfather was an infantry officer in the Red Army. He was assigned to the 8th Guards Army and was part of the Soviet force that took Berlin. His wife (my grandmother) worked in a factory making munitions during the war.

• 1 month later...

My father served, his father served, his father before him served and I will be serving as well. I'm going into the USAF, already have the process underway, just waiting on my MEPS date.

• 5 years later...

Well my family left to avoid the civil war but has been in just about every war since: WW1 my great grandfather was in the calvary, unknown if he actually seen the battlefield though, WW2 My grandfather was to be sent to Korea, but instead stayed here and fixed jeeps, his brother was part of the occupation force of Germany, he was less than enthusiastic about that, my other grandfather went to Korea and drove generals around the front lines in a jeep, Vietnam a few great uncles were part of the agent orange thing with...poor results when they came back, and then cousins in all the mid east things, too numerous to mention. Up until the mid east things it wasn't by choice but by draft...and the mid east things were kinda a "series of unfortunate events of being in the wrong time at the wrong place", like enlisting to take advantage of the military benefits the day before 9/11.

• Brohoof 1

That strongly depends on what you call serving. The Netherlands had a draft (they still do, it's just worded in such a way that you don't actually have to do anything unless the country itself is under direct attack and people are needed immediately), so my father and grandfather have been in the army, they just never went to a war. Well, my grandpa lived through WW2, but since he was 8-13 at the time I don't think he did much fighting.

I know I have a relative (can't remember how I'm related) that served as a confederate in the American Civil War and was captured in Gettysburg, and survived the rest of the war as a POW.  

My granduncle served in WWII, and my grandfather was also in the military during WWII, but he was allowed to go to medical school before they were going to deploy him, and when he finished medical school  the war ended.  

That's all I know of. 

Edit:  Remembered I also have a  cousin who was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam, and was killed in a midair collision while there. 

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

My grandpa from my dad side, served for our Vietnam country, my dad did too when he was younger like his dad. My grandpa was also POW so that part was interesting.  And some of my cousins serving for the US. I was thinking about enlisting for the medical field  but not sure my family would be keen about that. Oh well-