Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you have a senpai?

Haruhi-chan

Senpai = It originates from anime and manga. It's someone older than you. Someone you look up to. If they give the slightest attention to you, you sort of explode. They are just really admired by you and if you are a senpai, bask in it!

Basically, my senpai is my art mentor. He's always really sweet and positive about my art. I'm not very good at drawing, but he inspires me to keep at it. He's so amazing, and I get to see him at my anime convention every year too. I buy most of his stickers, request commissions from him and hang out with him... OH AND HIS HUGS ARE THE BEST. <3 Plus, he's also super cute. 8D

So, do you any of you have a senpai? :3 It's okay if you don't. I bet a lot of you might not even realize what a senpai is before seeing this thread anyway. XD

• Brohoof 10

Well, in this sense I've been a senpai xD (I didn't really bask in it though, it was kind of annoying at worst, and exasperatingly cute at best — though this was a special circumstance, I guess :P )

But, I don't think there's really anyone I looked up to (that I gave that much reverence)... :wat: (an unfulfilled, senpai-less life :( )

• Brohoof 1

Not a living one, no. For me, it's mainly two people. The first is Walt Disney. His passion, his idealism, and his creativity are things I strive to emulate.

The second is Bruce Lee. His strength, wisdom, and near (but not quite) fanaticism to his arts are traits I can only wish I had.

Edited by Steel Accord
  • Brohoof 1

Senpai = It originates from anime and manga. It's someone older than you. Someone you look up to. If they give the slightest attention to you, you sort of explode. They are just really admired by you and if you are a senpai, bask in it!

Just one quick thing that's bothering me a bit. Senpai is just a Japanese honorific, and it doesn't originate from anime and manga, and it's meant to signify somebody who's your senior, like an older student or whatever. It's primarily used for etiquette purposes, like every other honorific in existence.

Also, I don't have anyone like that.

• Brohoof 3

Just one quick thing that's bothering me a bit. Senpai is just a Japanese honorific, and it doesn't originate from anime and manga, and it's meant to signify somebody who's your senior, like an older student or whatever. It's primarily used for etiquette purposes, like every other honorific in existence.

Also, I don't have anyone like that.

Honorifics are also often reworked to mean something slightly different on a person-by-person basis though. Senpai is often used to signify respect to someone who knows more than you do. Not just that it's because they have seniority but that you respect them for it as well.

That was slightly redundant. <__< >__>

• Brohoof 1

>tfw senpai doesn't notice you

i cri evertim

Saying this person is my senpai is kind of exaggerating, but I guess my old music teacher? He was a really good musician and I always tried to show off in front of him. ;p

• Brohoof 4

I wouldn't say it was EXACTLY a senpai by that definition, but... i had one.

An old friend. We had the same hobbies, so we used to hang out in the same circles together. He was a natural leader, quiet and wise - i'll admit i envied him, somewhat- he was all i was trying to be, except i used to be a real flunky, and he wasn't. I aspired to be more like him in many ways. Some of the qualities and lessons i caught on from him helped me become the man i am today. In fact, you could even say i owe discovering my talent in scripting and computer knowledge to him - i used to look up to him so much, and learned all i could from him. Eventually, we become something more akin to best friends and peers, but after a tragedy has befallen him and his family, he grew quite distant from everyone. I tried keeping contact with him, but i haven't seen him in years now.

• Brohoof 1

Honestly, i dont really think i have one. People i look up to? Well, parents, i guess, but i dont think it really counts. Well, guess i just dont have a senpai : P

Mistress, however. Now thats an entirely different matter.

• Brohoof 1

Hell yeeeeeah I do.

Stannis Baratheon is senpai for lyfe. He follows the motto of "kill people burn s*it f*ck school", and I can get behind that.

Also, I just love Stannis. A lot. He's perfect. 11/10 would waifu.

I TOUCHED HIS CLOTHES ONCE

IT WAS NICE

Edited by Sage
  • Brohoof 2

if i understood correctly, a senpai is person that

-is older than you

-someone that you have respect for

-you are romantically attracted to(??, else it would just be an idol, right?i don´t see the difference, except for the "japanification")

i do have a lot of idols, but i am not romantically attracted to them( maybe i was to some of them,  if i would know them? :D)

I guess i dont have one in particular, but i kinda look up to some of the mods on here. theyre really good at crowd control. then again crowd control is easy on this forum because not too many bronies on here rage on the forums.

if i understood correctly, a senpai is person that

-is older than you

-someone that you have respect for

-you are romantically attracted to(??, else it would just be an idol, right?i don´t see the difference, except for the "japanification")

i do have a lot of idols, but i am not romantically attracted to them( maybe i was to some of them,  if i would know them? :D)

It's not really about having romantic feelings but rather respect, like somebody you idolize...? Correct me if I'm wrong on that last part.

It's not really about having romantic feelings but rather respect, like somebody you idolize...? Correct me if I'm wrong on that last part.

but why would someone be worried about "senpai not noticing" them,then?

and how is it different from just having an idol?

but why would someone be worried about "senpai not noticing" them,then?

and how is it different from just having an idol?

It's not used that much in that specific context outside of the realm of anime and manga. On the Internet, it's a joke.

And it is used for a senior of yours that you respect, which you could say is kind of like having an idol.

It's not used that much in that specific context outside of the realm of anime and manga. On the Internet, it's a joke.

And it is used for a senior of yours that you respect, which you could say is kind of like having an idol

ok, i actually used the power of the internet, and it pretty much means a "comrade of higher class" as in higher in the hirarchy of an organization.

it also seems to be referring to someone who is a senior mentor.