Doctor XFizzle

52 users have voted

1. 1. Did you like it?

• No, I hated it! >(
    • I didn't like it.
    • Meh. It was ok.
    • I liked it!
    • I LOVED IT! <3

I thought it was pretty entertaining :). I had a good laugh and seeing all of those cutie marks  :lol:. Good episode  :D

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm not sure if somepony were to notice back then but I see a filly Derpy to the left of Applebloom.

post-37469-0-46667900-1474255260_thumb.jpg

Besides that, it's a good episode a both being careful for what you wish for because it will backfire on you.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 months later...

The most filler-ish episode of the whole show. Entirely pointless. Kinda fun, with some funny ideas, but we already had the whole cutie mark deal hammered into our heads in season 1, and this episode adds nothing. It's the same episode as every other CMC episode up to this point, and no characters actually learn anything from the experience, despite the fact that Apple Bloom should have backed off the cutie mark obsession ages ago. So glad CMC episodes largely changed focus after this. 

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm not particularly interested in Apple Bloom's extreme obsession with cutie marks, and the show has done so little to develop her otherwise that it was able to spin an entire season 6 episode out of that void. Yes, the bullying, okay, but we already heard this moral, and it's frustrating that she outright hasn't learned a thing by the end. There are a few inspired moments - "My sister is speaking in fancy!" is pretty good, for instance - and it has some energy, but there aren't quite enough laughs here. The knowledge that Apple Bloom brought this upon herself because she refuses to learn this episode's lesson kinda cuts into the fun a bit, and this relies heavily in escalation, so it could have used a little more absurdity. Not intolerable, but doesn't do much for me. And while I like the moral, it's stated in very broad terms, it's something the show has been repeating since the first Cutie Mark Crusaders episode, and this just feels like a very roundabout and somewhat repetitive way of expressing it anyway. I'm not one of those people who's irritated by the friendship reports, but this is one of those cases where it just feels redundant. It's not even like this episode conveys the message more successfully than the past few episodes starring these characters, and they certainly don't learn anything. Pointless. 

Score:

Entertainment: 5/10

Characters: 4/10

Themes: 4/10

Story: 4/10

Overall: 43/100

• 3 months later...

Poor Apple Bloom. She should have known to listen to Zecora...though Zecora continues to suck at giving warnings. I like Zecora, so don’t get me wrong. It’s kind of hilarious that she was ignored again.

I enjoyed this episode. It was fun until Apple Bloom was suffering. They gave a nice indication of it, with her doing the loopy loop on the way home while looking tired.

• 1 month later...

This episode was so boring and pointless. The story is incredibly thin and the CMC don't even pretend to learn the lesson.

The only thing keeping this from being bad is that it has a few good gags and there's nothing that bad here.

Score: 4/10

• 5 months later...

Most of this episode is filler, but it's enjoyable enough filler. Sure, the ending makes the entire thing pointless and there are some boring moments, but I like a lot of the jokes and filler sequences. It's okay.

Score: 6/10

• 3 months later...

The episode was okay, I mean it had interesting ideas(I wondered if a pony could have more then one cutie mark, I actually wish they brought that idea back) and it was mostly entertaining but a bit to dragged out. 7\10. I liked that they included zecora here, and referenced birdle gossip when she thought everyone was hiding from her.

• 3 months later...

I remember this was one of the very first episodes of G4 i ever saw. It brings back some major nostalgia, although, I don't rewatch this episode much. 7/10

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 7/15/2015 at 3:24 PM, Godot said:

Heart's Desire eh? Wish that flower sprouted in real life, am I right?

It couldn't even have been that rare - Zecora used it to fix Apple Bloom's chipped tooth, and also mentioned using it to cure a rooster who had lost his voice.

I can't help but wonder if it could have done anything for Scootaloo or Tempest.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
(edited)

CMC shenanigans are always entertaining and this was an interesting look at the idea of faking a cutie mark. I don't think the episode did enough interesting things with that concept though. I think it would've helped if all three of the CMCs used the heart's desire potion, rather than just Applebloom.

The scene in Zecora's hut was my favourite part of the episode. I found it interesting that she could create all these different types of potions. Also, I loved her explanation on why she couldn't make a potion for cutie marks.

Not a bad episode, but nothing that stood out. :)

Edited by Cash In
Updated thoughts

• 1 month later...

The scene where Apple Bloom mocks Diamond Tiara and Silverspoon was my favorite part to be sure. It was interesting and hilarious, but if the three of them all used it, there would be total chaos. Would have wanted to know more about the cutie pox. 

• 2 months later...

Applebloom discovers the magic of making homemade pharmaceuticals, and the consequences that entails. Twilight warned you that there was no shortcut to get your cutie mark, and do you really want to have a hoop-de-loop as a cutie mark ? It's kinda lame.

And think of Sweetie Bell and Scootaloo, you're leaving them behind just like that ? To feel special for a day ? Shame on you Applebloom.

Good thing Zecora's amazing and knows everything (Zecora for Mayor !). She saw right through our little fillie and made her confess everyhting in front of everyone, so 10/10 for childhood trauma.

Overall, it's pretty entertaining.

7/10, that french accent was a really good try hahaha