Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching Bloodlines (SoL/Dark Mystery RP) [Still Recruiting] Now With Updated OOC!

SilverHeart

I used to be in this awesome RP like you, then I took an arrow to- Okay no, then it went innactive just for me to find out it came back and has been active for a while now. :(

What character did you play? I can't remember.

@@SilverHeart,

Crystal is done now, apart from her picture.

https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/crystal-bass-note-r9258

I'm pretty tired so I'll give your character a look after I get some rest.

@

I'm still deciding on whether or not I think we have room for more OC's. We have quite a few characters in this RP already. Sorry for the wait.

@

I really don';t remember Dark Star being in this RP since he doesn't seem like the kind of OC that fits for this. Though I guess Scribbler could have given you the A-OK to post in the last RP.

@@SilverHeart,

I tried to find myself in the posts and couldn't... though I am VERY sure I was in this RP long ago, but yeah... it died off before I got into doing much so forgetting me is very possible.

...Still, weird.

Could have been a different Bloodlines RP... Because I know I was in a RP called Bloodlines and it had a VERY similar setting.

@

I had actually checked the previous RP too. I think I remember you applying but it doesn't look like you were in it. Though I guess someone could have tried to revive Bloodlines without me knowing. That would have been a jerk move on their part but it is possible.

@,@@Hederik, @@Lume WMj, @, @@The Elusive Cinder, @@Golbez, @@FortyTwo42,  

So I'm going to start working on my next post on Monday, its probably going to be longer than my other posts have been so it will take me a few days. I'd like it if those who have posted for a while could makes some posts. This is the absolute last chance you'll have where Gemma and Lapis are entirely willing to answer your character's questions. 

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

So I took my absolute last chance at ignoring Gemma and Lapis, gold-encased manure that my character believes them to be and instead continue to come off as an old creep, sipping wine and staring at a single far-younger mare, pretending to notice the table-talk around but in reality being virtually absent, having uttered less than twenty words during a lively feast most likely fit for nobility.

Self-application in RPs for the win.

@@FortyTwo42, @@Hederik, @, @@Golbez, @@Lume WMj, @, @@The Elusive Cinder,

I klnow its taking me a while to write my next post. I finally got around to writing part of it and I am going to post it. I haven't advanced the story yet and will try to get that done tomorrow night. Currently it is 2:30 AM and I have a lot of classwork to do before tomorrow comes. So I'm calling it qutis for the night and posting what I have.

I want to apologize for my slow pace, I usually try to have a co-dm so that there is always someone posting however it doesn't seem to be a foolproof system. I'll try my best to finish the post tomorrow after class.

EDIT: If you want to have your characters comment on anything or respond feel free. However that won't change my next post with Gemma and Lapis.

Edited by SilverHeart
  • Brohoof 1

Sorry everyone, but recent events have made it incredibly difficult for me to get onto the forums. I explained this in more detail in my latest status update if you're interested, but basically my home computer broke down and I probably won't be able to come onto the forums regularly until the end of February which is when I predict I'll be able to get a replacement computer. I'm only able to get on very rarely in the meantime, like I'm doing now, when I manage to find someone else's computer I can borrow.

I really don't want to hold the RP up because of this, especially since it seems a major story point is about to happen. So, I've asked SilverHeart to play my characters while I'm gone. Hopefully that stops the RP from being held up if any of you are waiting for my characters to do anything.

• Brohoof 1

@@SilverHeart,

In all sincerity, for a post of such importance in building towards the eventual reveal this was fairly well done. While some of us (no hoof-pointing) might delight in dragged-out, detailed descriptions, the update was dramatic, and promises to forward this story drastically, upping the adrenaline levels from "I bet by the setting something will transpire at some point" to "ma, where's that popcorn, the show is starting". Besides, in creating tension, it is often best to forgo the commonly overlooked refinement of writing for a tension-building, plot-advancing shocker -- and I perceive it as just that, if you insist on stressing the subtle differences in style as "worst post ever".

Also, the image adds quite a lot to the literal description, and I must say I'm intrigued, not being able to recognize the artist from signature alone, whether this was prepared or commissioned when the idea for Bloodlines first formed (if that really was as far back as 2012), just a stroke of luck that a fitting portrayal of a prince unfitting for the position, or indeed a (partial, I'd guess) inspiration for the RP...

• Brohoof 1

@@SilverHeart,

In all sincerity, for a post of such importance in building towards the eventual reveal this was fairly well done. While some of us (no hoof-pointing) might delight in dragged-out, detailed descriptions, the update was dramatic, and promises to forward this story drastically, upping the adrenaline levels from "I bet by the setting something will transpire at some point" to "ma, where's that popcorn, the show is starting". Besides, in creating tension, it is often best to forgo the commonly overlooked refinement of writing for a tension-building, plot-advancing shocker -- and I perceive it as just that, if you insist on stressing the subtle differences in style as "worst post ever".

Also, the image adds quite a lot to the literal description, and I must say I'm intrigued, not being able to recognize the artist from signature alone, whether this was prepared or commissioned when the idea for Bloodlines first formed (if that really was as far back as 2012), just a stroke of luck that a fitting portrayal of a prince unfitting for the position, or indeed a (partial, I'd guess) inspiration for the RP...

Thanks for the kind words. It's not so much that it was terribly written (though that wouldn't surprise me. I'm hardly the best writer here) and more that I wanted to do a lot more wth the encounter. Like making it seem that Gemma and Lapis were trying to keep the Prince secluded from the players. And I wanted to stress the Princes behaviour as unnatural for his character along with making him seem extremely paranoid.

I'll link the artist when I get home. Also this was a commission piece. I'm not sure if he ever added it to his DA. The commission was made back when I wrote fanfiction for what is my unfinished Magnum Opus. That said, that story was part of the inspiration for this RP so I would dare say they are heavily connected.

@@Hederik

Here is his DA, if you want to look at some of his pictures. His art can be a bit disturbing. Or at least I know some people find it so, personally I like it. If you ever want to commission some art from him, he is great to work with it.

http://kvernikovskiy.deviantart.com/

@@SilverHeart,

Well, sounds to me like you easily achieved all of these. Another thought on the matter: virtually any literary work can be improved upon. The mark of a prolific author is being able to accept that and do better the next time round. I know I fall into the opposite category, polishing written text to the point of it breaking, as less content is being added than removed based on its perceived imperfection.

As to the artist... huh. Pretty cool, even if not precisely my style. Not that I mind the darkness/gore, just... doesn't speak to me all that much. And I must say I like your avatar much more in its original colors. Also, I have to admire the commitment to a story if you order commissioned pictures to illustrate it... would that be your signature-dweller, or has the story been hidden deeper? Also, Magnum Opus sounds like a weirdly-named big caliber gun... even if it is an acceptable form of the reverted version I always assumed to be the only correct form. The more you know.

@@SilverHeart,

Well, sounds to me like you easily achieved all of these. Another thought on the matter: virtually any literary work can be improved upon. The mark of a prolific author is being able to accept that and do better the next time round. I know I fall into the opposite category, polishing written text to the point of it breaking, as less content is being added than removed based on its perceived imperfection.

As to the artist... huh. Pretty cool, even if not precisely my style. Not that I mind the darkness/gore, just... doesn't speak to me all that much. And I must say I like your avatar much more in its original colors. Also, I have to admire the commitment to a story if you order commissioned pictures to illustrate it... would that be your signature-dweller, or has the story been hidden deeper? Also, Magnum Opus sounds like a weirdly-named big caliber gun... even if it is an acceptable form of the reverted version I always assumed to be the only correct form. The more you know.

Thanks. I tend to be my own worst critic.

I'm not the biggest fan of gore but I have always liked horror so I've had to get used to it. Sadly it can be difficult to find good horror without Gore.

I'm sure the original colors were great. I'm colorblind and can't see anything outside if an assortment of greys. Scribbler was the one who pointed out that Kvernikovskiy had apparently gotten the colors wrong. The profile picture is suppsed to be Mirror Image.

Yes that is most likely the story. If it isn't it at least should lead to my Fimficton account where you can find it. I really should get around to writing it. It was actually fairly popular (compare to my first two) and a few people had actually expressed regret that I wasn't updating it.

I do believe I used the right phrase, my Latin is pretty rusty but yes, I used to think the same thing. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in some anime, video game, or cartoon there was a weapon called that.

Thanks. I tend to be my own worst critic.

Aren't we all?

I'm not the biggest fan of gore but I have always liked horror so I've had to get used to it. Sadly it can be difficult to find good horror without Gore.

Sadly, it can be difficult to find good horror. At least when it comes to movies. Books manage, video games do too. Movies are either tasteless, disgusting or excruciatingly repeatable and predictable. Usually all of these at same time.

I'm sure the original colors were great. I'm colorblind and can't see anything outside if an assortment of greys. Scribbler was the one who pointed out that Kvernikovskiy had apparently gotten the colors wrong. The profile picture is suppsed to be Mirror Image.

I, hum. Cough. This certainly puts a new perspective on how I'm going to view Mirror now.

I remember you mentioning something about not seeing colors earlier on in the thread, but I supposed at the time it had something to do with your screen not working properly or something... I dunno, I guess I didn't give it much thought. It sounds pretty ironic, when you think about it, that you fell for the colorful ponies without them being... all that.

If you wouldn't mind an awkward question terribly, how do you go about picking colors for your characters and such? Pure randomness or partiality to a color's name? By repetition of what's empirically known to you from other descriptions? Or have you worked out some way of imagining what colors go well together? Sorry if I seem indiscreet, but your particular condition has had me puzzled since I was a kid and I can't help being curious now. Ignore this entirely if I went too far.

Yes that is most likely the story. If it isn't it at least should lead to my Fimficton account where you can find it. I really should get around to writing it. It was actually fairly popular (compare to my first two) and a few people had actually expressed regret that I wasn't updating it.

Several thousand words? By the way you talked about it I always assumed there was an entire saga there... I'll be sure to give these a read once I find the right space of time.

I do believe I used the right phrase, my Latin is pretty rusty but yes, I used to think the same thing. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in some anime, video game, or cartoon there was a weapon called that.

You did. As usual, my striving for flare muddles the point. I have never met with this word order, but was quickly put back on track by Uncle G. And if your Latin is rusty, you're several levels above me in that disposition, I never learned anything beyond the few most popular homo hominis and vidi vicis.

Aren't we all?

Sadly, it can be difficult to find good horror. At least when it comes to movies. Books manage, video games do too. Movies are either tasteless, disgusting or excruciatingly repeatable and predictable. Usually all of these at same time.

I, hum. Cough. This certainly puts a new perspective on how I'm going to view Mirror now.

I remember you mentioning something about not seeing colors earlier on in the thread, but I supposed at the time it had something to do with your screen not working properly or something... I dunno, I guess I didn't give it much thought. It sounds pretty ironic, when you think about it, that you fell for the colorful ponies without them being... all that.

If you wouldn't mind an awkward question terribly, how do you go about picking colors for your characters and such? Pure randomness or partiality to a color's name? By repetition of what's empirically known to you from other descriptions? Or have you worked out some way of imagining what colors go well together? Sorry if I seem indiscreet, but your particular condition has had me puzzled since I was a kid and I can't help being curious now. Ignore this entirely if I went too far.

Several thousand words? By the way you talked about it I always assumed there was an entire saga there... I'll be sure to give these a read once I find the right space of time.

You did. As usual, my striving for flare muddles the point. I have never met with this word order, but was quickly put back on track by Uncle G. And if your Latin is rusty, you're several levels above me in that disposition, I never learned anything beyond the few most popular homo hominis and vidi vicis.

Yes. There certainly is a lot of schlock to deal with when it comes to horror. Though I think I've enjoyed more movies than I have books. Unless you're counting short stories if usually feel that a lot of horror novels fall flat.

Oh? May I ask what you thought before and what changed?

It is isn't it? Personally I find it quite funny that I'm in a fandom that depends so much on color.

Not at all. You're hardly the first person to express interest and confusion in my eyesight and foregoing some tragedy, you won't be the last. I have a few ways. My original plan was to panic and ask around if my color choices are good. Most people don't usually respond to my inquiries and those that did just have token answer with no real feedback in them. You'd think that once I explained my situation people would be a bit more willing to lend a hand.

After trying to outsource help with colors failed, I decided to try and use interior design palletes as references for what colors would work with ponies. This didn't work out too well since I was usually dumbfounded by the names and the color combinations seemed to go against everything I've learned in life about colors.

Finally I've since learned to rely on the show and popular OC designs as references for what colors work. As one would expect this has worked best. Plus over the years I've gained experience in pony design if only for the questionable amount of pony media I've consumed.

Oh haha. Sorry. I was mostly making jokes that translate poorly over text. And I look forward to any feedback you may have once you read them.

Ah good. That would have been embarrassing. I took two years of Latin in Highschool.

Yes. There certainly is a lot of schlock to deal with when it comes to horror. Though I think I've enjoyed more movies than I have books. Unless you're counting short stories if usually feel that a lot of horror novels fall flat.

I'd have to agree, if only because I've seen more movies than books & games combined. But the percentage of success was incomparable in the latter mediums. Mostly, I read Masterton and a bit of Lovecraft, so that would cover both full-blown novels and kinda-short stories. Horror isn't - and never was - my genre of choice, however.

Oh? May I ask what you thought before and what changed?

Well, till now she came across as a friendly, quiet supporting character with a touch of pain in the past. A cartoonish pony in a mask, hiding some scar behind. After seeing that picture and applying the impression to previous knowledge of the character... she seems a lot darker. The picture itself is almost sinister, what with that disgusted expression, as though she was on the verge of erasing an unwanted part of reality. Combine that with some of the things I remember reading about her and some I think I remember, there appears an entire alternative facet to her, of a pony scarred beyond the skin and bone, a ticking time bomb, if you will... Although it's all mostly blind guesses.

Well, if anything speaks of the effectiveness of your methods (to me at least) it's how unexpected the revelation was. To be honest, though, color-capable fans make so many terrible choices in the field being discussed that you'd have to commit unspeakable atrocities for someone to even begin to suspect something.

Personally, for all the color vision I have I can never pick a color for a pony without stressing over it for an awfully long time. My artistic level is at the level of painting "A Flock of Sheep Being Devoured by Polar Bears in the Middle of a Snowstorm", however, so that may be an empty consolation.

I'm gonna take the risk of sounding self-centered and tooting my own horn, but thank's to @Once In A Blue Moon's generous help, I've updated Cursive Inital's page with an actual image. Not much of an achievement, I suppose, but him being my first OC -- and thus this being my first OC art -- I'm pretty excited. Now I just need to get down to cleaning up all that hastily-written text there... in a while.

Oh yeah, and respond in the RP. I'll uh, get to that. Soonish.

Hey everyone, I'm back for a little while! I still don't have a new computer yet, unfortunately, but it shouldn't be too long until I find one. I'll probably have a new computer within a week. Anyway, I've managed to borrow another computer to use today for a while, so I'll try to make another RP post now. It should be up in a few hours if can make one.

Edit: I've made the post now! Although I ended up overestimating how much time I had left, so the ending of my post was a bit rushed. Sorry about that.

Edited by FortyTwo42
  • Brohoof 2

@@FortyTwo42,@@Hederik, @@The Elusive Cinder, @,  @@Mentis Soliloquy

Hello Everyone,

I have some unfortunate news (at least for the RP). I hope I'm not overstepping my boundaries here but @@Golbez, has decided that his time on these forums has come to an end and that it is best for him if he leaves. So while I'm not sure if he wanted to make his departure public all of you would have found out soon enough so I thought it would be nice to have him leave with a bit of a farewell. 

For those worried about how this will affect the RP, Golbez has been kind enough to leave Cherry in my hands. So she is now an NPC but I'll try to keep her as socially engaged with the rest of you as possible.

Edited by SilverHeart

:(

I cannot say I've known the man. All we had between us were a few posts in this RP. But I vastly enjoyed both his style and the fact he'd go out of his way to spice them up with pictures of his OC, like when she hanged head-down outside the cart...

I respect the finality and clarity of the decision as well. It isn't often that someone actually announces their departure when they give up an activity, in the anonymous environment of the internet more than ever. I know I'm guilty of some such, and have seen many more as well -- and waiting for those quietly disappeared can easily kill any endeavor.

Here's hoping this will bring the current team closer.

@@Golbez

Think of us warmly and be assured that so shall we. Find happiness and fulfillment in whatever your new interest might be. And... though unfortunately we only met for a while, your creativity has elicited many a happy smile. Thank you... and I wish you well on your life's journeys.

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Also, munch on this wrench in the gears, as this wretch tries a silent revolt of the RP's pacing.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Cursive were be derided and babied for such nonsense, but I remain intrigued as to what will actually happen.

• 2 weeks later...

,@@Mentis Soliloquy, @@FortyTwo42,  @@The Elusive Cinder,@,  

I'd like to draw everyone's attention to @@Hederik's last post. While you don't have to react or do anything, he has given you all a nice opportunity to do something. I'm going to wait one week and then I'll make my post. If for whatever reason you don't want to make a post or just want to ignore him please let me know, that way I can make my post sooner.

• Brohoof 2