Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching Bloodlines (SoL/Dark Mystery RP) [Still Recruiting] Now With Updated OOC!

SilverHeart

2 sequels? That's something to look forward to.. hopefully the third doesn't die out again. o;

Edited by Kaia
  • Brohoof 1

@@SilverHeart,

@,

Hey, a few quick questions regarding Bitter's alchemy and stuff. I'm asking because I'd like to not do something that you'd deem "overpowered" or something. Haha.

Now, just before I start asking, I'm not intended to use anything similar to godmodding for potions. She can't create most of her potions or poisons instantly or on the spot. Most of them will involve using her alchemy kit which may be portable, can't just be set up whenever. Just thought that should be noted prior for reference. 

1. So, since Bittersweet is an alchemist and all, so I was wondering if there were any limitations you'd suggest putting on the potions she creates. For example, if she were to create some kind of poison that could burn through wood (To use against any Timberwolves).

2. Should I limit myself to more-so realistic formula's (such as aluminium + rust + manganese = Thermite (I'm pretty sure that's the formula or something like that.). or is it okay if I do some BSing and just use random things to create relevant potions or what not. 

3. What's your view on Bittersweet being able to just.. have or find things? Sort of like a Dues Ex Machina but instead of solving an impossible problem she just found what ingredient she needed at the right time. 

@@SilverHeart,

@,

Hey, a few quick questions regarding Bitter's alchemy and stuff. I'm asking because I'd like to not do something that you'd deem "overpowered" or something. Haha.

Now, just before I start asking, I'm not intended to use anything similar to godmodding for potions. She can't create most of her potions or poisons instantly or on the spot. Most of them will involve using her alchemy kit which may be portable, can't just be set up whenever. Just thought that should be noted prior for reference.

1. So, since Bittersweet is an alchemist and all, so I was wondering if there were any limitations you'd suggest putting on the potions she creates. For example, if she were to create some kind of poison that could burn through wood (To use against any Timberwolves).

2. Should I limit myself to more-so realistic formula's (such as aluminium + rust + manganese = Thermite (I'm pretty sure that's the formula or something like that.). or is it okay if I do some BSing and just use random things to create relevant potions or what not.

3. What's your view on Bittersweet being able to just.. have or find things? Sort of like a Dues Ex Machina but instead of solving an impossible problem she just found what ingredient she needed at the right time.

Personally I'd prefer you use more realistic alchemy. However I'll let Scribbler decide. I'm quite the stickler for historical accuracy

I don't think we really want any Deus Ex Machina, we won't put you in any situations that will kill you without a way out. Well unless your OC does something stupid, like...well wandering into the forest for no reason...like just because s/he's bored. Then there's a pretty good chance that the OC will get killed because they weren't being smart.

Also one of the reasons we had hall list the inventory of your Ov is to avoid a Deus Ex Machina. Like "Oh no! You've fallen in a hole. It's a good thing you brought your grappling hook to a vacation! You knew this thing would come I handy." Those are the things we want to avoid.

Now if you want to prepare potions, powders, and solutions ahead of time, feel free to ask the NPC's where to gather ingredients. At least a few may know some good spots.

Also we'll wait for Scribbler to throw in his opinion. The above are just my opinions.

• Brohoof 2

@@FirstPonySpectre,

In terms of the alchemy thing, I would imagine Bittersweet would know a bit about chemicals, but I think you're looking at an acid, not a poison on that first one, and would depend entirely on what sort of thing she had brought with her. I don't know of many medicinal ingredients that would act like an acid though, and Bitter is a medical alchemist, who likely wouldn't have that sort of thing. Poison on the other hand, that would be something I could see her having access to. All she'd need to do is botch one of her elixers with a bad ingredient, and it could end up deadly or have some nasty side effect. That, I think would be fine.

As for thermite, that's not exactly something I'd imagine a medical alchemist would want to be carrying. That's more of a chemist or demolitions expert's domain.

On the third point, I agree with Silver, we want to avoid the whole magic skeleton key for all locks situation. That eliminates the need for actual problem solving with what's been given to you. Sometimes you might need to improvise, or run from a situation if you don't see another good option. It'll always be up to you though.

Also hell no I don't wanna cancel. lol We got lots planned, too much to just leave this story. I'm in till the end for this RP :)

Oh, also, apologies for the lack of posting, I've had a rather bizarre couple of days. I'll post tomorrow for sure.

Edited by Midnight Scribbler
  • Brohoof 2

@@Midnight Scribbler,@@FirstPonySpectre,

I just want to add, thermite is an late 19th century creation and wouldn't really be something that alchemists would know, as the art of alchemy was quite dead by the point and had been replaced by Chemistry. That aside, medical alchemists and doctor's of the middle ages would have a great deal of knowledge on poisons, as the best way to counter one poison is to introduce another. I don't understand the science behind it but I do know that doctors/barbers at the time would use one poison to counter the effects of another poison. 

• Brohoof 1

@@FirstPonySpectre,

In terms of the alchemy thing, I would imagine Bittersweet would know a bit about chemicals, but I think you're looking at an acid, not a poison on that first one, and would depend entirely on what sort of thing she had brought with her. I don't know of many medicinal ingredients that would act like an acid though, and Bitter is a medical alchemist, who likely wouldn't have that sort of thing. Poison on the other hand, that would be something I could see her having access to. All she'd need to do is botch one of her elixers with a bad ingredient, and it could end up deadly or have some nasty side effect. That, I think would be fine.

As for thermite, that's not exactly something I'd imagine a medical alchemist would want to be carrying. That's more of a chemist or demolitions expert's domain.

On the third point, I agree with Silver, we want to avoid the whole magic skeleton key for all locks situation. That eliminates the need for actual problem solving with what's been given to you. Sometimes you might need to improvise, or run from a situation if you don't see another good option. It'll always be up to you though.

Also hell no I don't wanna cancel. lol We got lots planned, too much to just leave this story. I'm in till the end for this RP :)

Oh, also, apologies for the lack of posting, I've had a rather bizarre couple of days. I'll post tomorrow for sure.

Yeah, I've always sort of combined Alchemy and Chemistry into one a lot of the time. I gotta work on that a bit, the two are rather similar to an extent anyway. haha. Besides, alchemist sounds so much cooler than chemist. Haha. ^_^

I was also just using thermite as an example, too. I really doubt there is gonna be any random strips of manganese just laying around. And you can't just walk into a store and buy manganese! 

Also, I should most likely specify this in her dossier because I really failed to emphasize this, but she only chose to be an apothecary. Her alchemy skills go much further than just medicine. 

Thanks for clearing that up, though. ^_^ 

@@FirstPonySpectre,

Ah ok, yeah, I think you'll be alright in terms of having the knowledge beyond medicine. Many who deal with medicinal chemistry (or in this case, alchemy) Will likely know some reactions beyond medicinal use. The thing would be whether or not your OC happens to have or come across the ingredients needed to do something specific. Perhaps you could come up with a list of exactly what she does have on her, and we can sort of review it. I think that should help avoid any issues.

------

Posting in the RP soon

• Brohoof 2

@@SilverHeart

This sounds very interesting, So, is it okay if I use my OC Clandestine for this?

Name: Clandestine

Species: Unicorn

Link to profile: In my signature

Other roleplays (I played these with a different OC, but they should still show you what you want to know.): 

A

B

Inventory:

Claw: Allows Clandestine to scale up tall walls really quickly, it fires a hook that pulls her up towards wherever it lands, but only if she can shoot it properly.

Wirecutter: A tool used to disable traps, and alarms.

Lockpicking Equipment: Self-explanatory, she can lockpick any door, no matter how well locked it is. (Minus the Front Gate, as I assumed the ponies are trapped there.)

Flashbangs: Allows her to get out of sticky situations easily, whether the opposing force intends to kill her, or not.

Special Knowledge:
Lockpicking

Stealth, she can get away from someone who may be searching for her, in the instance that this doesn't work, she'll flashbang them, and then go hide somewhere else. Either way, she's really hard to find, and if you do find her, it won't be for long.

How is this?

@@Midnight Scribbler,

@@SilverHeart,

I can probably come up with some form of list but there is one problem... by using real life recipes it will probably get extremely confusing or at the very least complicated. Lol. ;-;. The best way I can see us getting around that is to make it more primitive by grouping ingredients into a few selections. Such as in colors and each color has it's specialty. 

The following is just a draft of what I'm talking about. Not anything final. 

Green Herbs: A must have ingredient for almost any elixir or remedy. Alone it can act as a very weak medicine. Common to find.

Red Herbs: These herbs amplify the effects of other herbs to extremes. Can be extremely dangerous. Moderate to find. 

Blue Herbs: Cause mild intoxication. In higher doses it can cause hallucinations, black outs, and temporary insanity. Rare

Bright Blue Herbs: Act as coolant. Simply touching one of these herbs can cause chills. Used carefully these can lower fevers, or even regulate your body temperature if you're under extreme heat. Moderately common

Orange Herbs: Reverses effect of a herb. For example, it makes green herbs escalate any illness, injury, etc a pony may be suffering. Moderate.

​Purple Herbs: Has effects strongly similar to adrenaline. In a low dose it can cause a pony to suffer small twitches. At high doses it can increase a ponies speed, reactions, etc. Though it also increases heart rate and can cause death.

Pink Herbs: Act as a relaxer. A single pink herb leaf can calm down a nervous pony and when intensified it can put ponies to sleep.  Common.

That's just a draft of what I'm talking about. Basically, a recipe would go something like this...

Poison:

(Green + Orange) + Red = Poison

or you can use herbs to create other sub-ingredients. For example...

Explosive Liquid

Effect: Causes a thrown flask to explode when shattered. 

Recipe: (Bright Blue + Orange) + Purple

Ice Bomb

Effect: When thrown and shattered it releases a sphere of chilling air that can cause a short lasting chill on anyone in the area of effect

Recipe: Explosive Liquid + (Bright Blue + Red) 

It's just an idea. Not sure if it'll work but it at least allows us to not have to constantly converse about what herbs are there specifically as well as will allow me to not have to ask you guys if something is possible considering I'll know exactly what I have and all. Not sure if that makes sense. Haha. 

Edited by FirstPonySpectre

My apologies for my absence, it's not my best but hopefully I've got Cherry up to date with what's happened so far. 

@

I feel as though I should also mention this, Kaia, is there any chance you could make your character's colored text any brighter, we can still make it out. ;)

• Brohoof 2

@@Golbez,

Ah, I hope that everyone could read it now.. ^^ It was a little hard for me to use the color hex online. I have to squint really hard to see my old color - I felt like making a different color, but it just wouldn't suit her. Should I make it brighter? o:

Um.... The RP already started. I'm not 100% sure if you can still get in. Though it's up to SilverHeart and Midnight Scribbler.

Sorry. :c

Oh, well fuck, I'm stupid.

Damn, I'm sorry.

Then again, it would have been nice to at least tell me that instead of just ignoring me, I'm looking at you OP!

:(  Such a shame, I really, really wanted to do this. I even took the time and effort to make a post and everything!

Oh, well fuck, I'm stupid.

Damn, I'm sorry.

Then again, it would have been nice to at least tell me that instead of just ignoring me, I'm looking at you OP!

:(  Such a shame, I really, really wanted to do this. I even took the time and effort to make a post and everything!

Sorry, man. :c I mean, it's still up to the OP's but... -shrugs- 

@@Shadowking58

Okay so now that I'm at home I can post, I never use my phone to post on the forums. I only use it to respond to messages and even then I don't have the time to respond to everyone as fast as I like.

So first off, don't assume someone is ignoring you just because they haven't responded in a few hours, it hasn't even been a day. If it had been 24 hours or they had made two or more posts on the forum or even just on the thread, I'd say you would have reason to believe that you are being ignored. And I know it isn't that I've posted since my last post was roughly 20 hours ago.I'm a full time college student and I have a job. As much as I'd like to I don't have the time to be on the forums all day or respond instantly. This is part of the reason this RP is being run by two people instead of just me, the other part is that without Scribbler, who has helped plan this one from the beginning I don't think I'd be able to pull it off. This is also the reason I'm only playing NPC's/Cast characters and not really using my own OC's as a guest.

Now then, onto your actual application. Like some have said. The Roleplay is full and we aren't really accepting any more players at the moment. What we are doing is gathering a few reserve players in case we have some people drop out of the RP. That doesn't really matter though, since your OC has almost nothing to her sheet. Based on that alone we would not be able to accept your OC. If you go in and flesh out...well pretty much everything then Scribbler and I will take a look at your OC and seriously consider accepting you into the reserve.

• Brohoof 1

@@Shadowking58,

Hey there, thanks for the application (sorry for the delayed response). But unfortunately, the story's already begun, and we're not accepting new players currently. That being said, we may open for new players later on, depending on how active this RP continues to be. One other thing I should mention, is we've only been accepting slice of life style OCs for this RP. Your application likely wouldn't have been accepted to begin with, simply because he's outfitted for battle almost. We will still consider you if you have another SOL character to use, and of course when the applications open again. We advise you read through the OOC main post carefully, it outlines the kind of thing we're looking for in a character application.

@@FirstPonySpectre,

Just read over your post for inventory and herbs. I had a laugh at the blue herb, sounds like magic mushrooms. XD

So as for the whole list you've put together here, I think you have a well made system in terms of usability, and how potent of an advantage it gives your OC. That said, I don't think we'll be allowing explosives, maybe a smoke screen or something, but I'll let Silver put his opinion in on this. Aside from that though, everything else looks fine to me.