• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

I became interested in the show due to ponified movie trailers. The one that finally got me to say "Okay fine I'll watch the damn ponies" was Bronyvids' "Watchmen" video with a Pinkie Pie Rorschach.

Partway through "Cutie Mark Chronicles" I got that odd *whoa* feeling. When Fluttershy started singing "What is this place, full of so many wonders" in my head I started going "What is this show, full of so many wonders"...

Then Pinkie's widening rainbow eyes. O_O Boom. Brain melt.

It's the little things, really, that make the subtle distinction between enjoying a kids' cartoon ironically and enjoying a cartoon 'cause it's an awesome cartoon. Like when Twi stood on a literal soapbox (covered in soap bottles, with a picture of soap on it, with a cart full of soap bottles next to it). And when Twi pulled out a book called "Everything you Wanted to Know about Slumber Parties (But Were Afraid to Ask)" I was like, "Did that really just happen? Is this a dream?"

It took me 2 days to watch all the episodes, and in a week I was already making fan videos. All while feeling kind of on the fence about being part of this weird fandom. Then I realized that all fandoms are weird and just went with it.

• Brohoof 1

Hrr hmmm... Let's see...

I remember I typed my introduction to the show in the introduction thread, but I don't mind retyping them again... :)

I was a member of 3DS forums ever since 2010 and saw these odd 'pony' images popping up everywhere, a tleast as icons and reaction images. Initially (that is, over the next 11 months), I ignored them and assumed that it was some cheap, girlie show and like the American Street fighter cartoon, people only posted images to make fun of it. But one day last month in mid-September, I had suddenly just decided to look up a review for the cartoon, unbias and pretty clear headed. I found this review here when I typed in the search inquiry, specifically 'My little Pony friendship is magic review' and it was among the first to show up. Here it is for those who are curious (mind you, it's almost 50 minutes so those who have got time to spare and just enjoy good, fair reviews may just like it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXqVX8C6ffE

So on and so, the review was great and I enjoyed the clips from the show they demonstrated, especially the Flutterguy one! I knew that based on the review from then on I would love this cartoon and I did. It is currently my favorite cartoon and it pays to not be foolish and prejudge things based on things such as color palette and the intellectual property associated with it. It gets you no where. I knew I became a FIM fan as the guy in the video said, or as we are commonly referred to, a brony in mere moments after watching a few episodes each day of the week. Funny, because when I first saw the term I thought it was a racial slur (don't ask) :)

I showed my twin brother, whom I'm hoping will also join the forums soon, and he wasn't as much into it at first, until about part way through episode one, that, and the Flutterrage clip. I did some research on the cartoon, naturally, as I do with all the things that interest me and discovered many things about the creative figureheads. Well that's just about it. And now I await season 2 episode 3.

Edited by Akaraah

I chose may only because I was born that month and apparently I was born to be a brony. I've been fan of the MLP as long as I've known of any pony show out there.

So, since there was only months as option instead of years, which I would not remember either as it is so long ago... May it is.

• Brohoof 1

Something about 25 September 2011. It took me less than week to watch whole first season. When I watched first four episodes I said

"I know it's gonna be so awesome!". And it was like I expected.

I became a fan a few days before Feeling Pinkie Keen first aired, so I guess that makes it mid-February.

My first encounter with ponies was January - I was browsing this imageboard and one of MadMax's comics came up, about Rarity showing off a dress to Spike. I was always a big fan of animation, so I brushed it off, thinking nothing of it.

Before Feeling Pinkie Keen aired, this girl friend of mine from grade school told me about the show on Facebook and urged me to try it out. This was the first I heard about Friendship is Magic. My response was, "My Little Pony, really...?" but I gave it a shot anyway. Sat through the first three episodes in one sitting. I literally cringed once Giggle at the Ghostlies started playing, assuming based on the past incarnations of MLP that it was going to be terrible - but it wasn't that bad. I still don't like Ghostlies, though that's moreso personal preference than anything else. I thought the two pilot episodes were cool and above what I perceived MLP could achieve. Soon afterward I watched the remaining episodes on YouTube (all fourteen of them at the time)... and now I'm regularly ripping the background music from a My Little Pony reboot as a hobby. Golly.

• Brohoof 1

I became a fan a few days before Feeling Pinkie Keen first aired, so I guess that makes it mid-February.

My first encounter with ponies was January - I was browsing this imageboard and one of MadMax's comics came up, about Rarity showing off a dress to Spike. I was always a big fan of animation, so I brushed it off, thinking nothing of it.

Before Feeling Pinkie Keen aired, this girl friend of mine from grade school told me about the show on Facebook and urged me to try it out. This was the first I heard about Friendship is Magic. My response was, "My Little Pony, really...?" but I gave it a shot anyway. Sat through the first three episodes in one sitting. I literally cringed once Giggle at the Ghostlies started playing, assuming based on the past incarnations of MLP that it was going to be terrible - but it wasn't that bad. I still don't like Ghostlies, though that's moreso personal preference than anything else. I thought the two pilot episodes were cool and above what I perceived MLP could achieve. Soon afterward I watched the remaining episodes on YouTube (all fourteen of them at the time)... and now I'm regularly ripping the background music from a My Little Pony reboot as a hobby. Golly.

Sounds like the way I became a brony <3
  • Brohoof 1

I started sometime in early June, instantly fell in love with it after being skeptical about it when I watched the first episode...then a week later, I went and became active in the community.

I think i became a brony like 2 or 3 weeks ago. Watched a few videos of some of the quotes

on youtube, and thought they were quite amusing. So i checked out the show,

and sorta' had a marathon of all zeh episodes... :3

• Brohoof 1

As far as MLP:FIM is concerned, I became a Brony about three weeks ago. Fluttershy Goes Insane was the video that caused it.

Edited by SBaby

Lemme see here, umm... according to my old post in another forum...

it was in April 8 that I watched the pilot for the very first time. After that, it took some time for me to comfortably watch the other episodes, but soon enough, my family knew I watched the show, and the ball started rolling from there.

And here I am now, finally registered to a pony forum. And I don't regret it one bit, pony currency or otherwise. This year has been full of changes for me, and has made me grow as a person in general. Ponies are no exception.

• Brohoof 1

I actually found it through Bungie.net. That site has a ton of anti-bronies and I would never understand what theyb

Hey, try not to paste a whole novel next time :P

Haha, win xD

I just watched applebuck season and the ticket master, for no special reason, and i found that these episodes really remind me of when i first became a brony. The first 2 episodes don't, because i've watched them at least 30 times now, usually trying to turn people into bronies with them... But these 2 episodes just bring me back to that time, when i was just getting into this whole amazing universe. I love that feeling...

I started to watch MLP during the very first day of our summer holiday (2011). Had nothing to do, so i was browsing around the forums and found a discussion about MLP. I thought they were crazy to like something like that but once i watched it....my view of it changed forever..^^

Edited by Jonke
  • Brohoof 1

I'm actually really upset that I hadn't joined the herd earlier. I became a brony in March, so there was already a significant amout of bronies and episodes. I just think it would be so much better to be there at the beginning, when people first started finding the show. That would probably strengthen my love for ponies even more...

Im actually not really a brony. I like mlp but im not so far in it that I am one.

A brony is simply a fan of MLP (friendship is magic to be specific, since that's where the current fandom sprouted) at the very core. I remember I didn't like the term at first, preferring FiM fan, as I never like being clustered into groups, but I've already accepted I like the show, which makes me a brony. There's no difference of liking/loving Batman and choosing not to be called a fan. You might not like DC comics as a whole but if you like something, especially enough to join a forum related to it, then you're definitely a fan. ;)