• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

I came to the series because of depression.

Allow me to elucidate.

I was having a bad day. A REALLY bad day. And I thought about MLP, and how everyone said it was good. So I checked it out, but didn't watch much of it.

It would be another year before I officially became a brony.

October 2010: I saw a pic of RD and wanted to find the source, but couldn't find it.

Mid-2011: I discovered the show's name, but didn't know about the FiM part. Just typing in MLP only turned up the older generations.

November 2011: I found the first episode while randomly browsing YouTube. Watched the entire first season in 3 days since it was Thanksgiving vacation :D

When I was a hater, a Brony sent me a YouTube video which I found interesting. Later, pony videos started showing up on my recommendations. I watched one by Tiarawhy, then watched the very first episode, and now here I am.

Let's see...

I became a Brony because I first watched the show and loved it, later on discovered what an amazing and wonderful community it is. The show is amazing, and has outstanding quality. The Voice Actors of this show actually care about their fans, it's so cool! It's great being a Brony.

Why did we all become bronies/pegasisters? I believe the proper question is: why not? I don't believe there was any particular reason why I decided to watch. I just tried it one day and was like: "Man, this is good." And the rest went on from there. I can't say why I became one, but I can tell you about 100 reason why I'm glad to be one.

Can't say I actually had a reason. I have a huge reason for staying but none for actually joining the herd. It was just a fluke of seeing some 40k crossover art of Empress Celestia and Chaos Sorceress Twili that sparked a chain reaction turning me into a brony

I became a brony back towards the end of June 2012, and it was because I saw the 'Know your meme' video about MLP. I thought that the show and the fan-base looked awesome, so I decided to watch an episode. After about 3 days of caffeinated beverages, and a sense of glee I finished the first two seasons of the show. After a period of migration looking for brony websites on the internet I found MLP forums and joined in August 2012.

Edited by Rainbow Dash The Fourth

I became a Brony because I was not afraid to give something that I thought was odd a chance. I was always raised to give things a chance and I did and I really enjoy MLP, I always had a knack for being different from the average people around me, I enjoy being myself and doing what I enjoy no matter what others say, I enjoy MLP so I guess I became a Brony because I enjoyed what I saw when I watched the first episode.

Edited by Xelphos

I THOUGHT THE CORPS COULD HELP ME STRAIGHTEN OUT MY LIFE, SIR!

157.png

Okay, no, really, I just started watching the show and thought it was good. tongue.png Not really a very special reason, but there ya go.

Edited by Mandalore Dash

I resisted for years!

Then I heard a coworker talking about it. I asked him, "Are you seriously talking about My Little Pony?"

He said, "Yeah, it's decent. You should watch it."

I was like, "No. Absolutely not. I'm not watching a show for little girls."

But I became curious, so I watched a random episode. My reaction was, "Meh."

Then I heard about the waves made by the season 3 finale, and I knew I had to be missing out on something great. So I tried again, this time starting with the first episode. And for some reason, that made all the difference.

I'm pretty new to the fandom to be honest, I remember at first I tried watching a couple of episodes of it on youtube and I thought they were pretty good but they must not have resonated with me somehow because I didn't watch any more episodes afterwards for quite some time...

Eventually this year in June my friend told me she'd become quite obsessed with the show, after she told me this I think I was pretty skeptical at first as by this time I'd heard a lot of negative things about bronies (that the enitre fandom was full of perverts ect.) but after she showed me some parody videos and some of the fanart (I think I was particularly impressed with the art depicting Luna and Celestia, I was suprised when I learned Luna was actually a character on the show as I assumed she was a fan design) I decided to give the show a try and found myself enjoying it so much I ended up marathoning the entire series in a week. It just annoys me to think that I had such shitty misconceptions about the fandom in the first place as I could've discovered all this a lot earlier...

oh well glad I'm not missing out now :)

Earlier this year probably in April, a friend of mine just asked me one day "Hey, do you know what a brony is?" I replied no and he tells me "It's dude in thier 20's and older who watch My Little Pony." Safe to say I was floored and didn't know what to think at first. So a few days go by and I come across something on youtube, I thought to myself there must be something to this show. Then I gave it a chance the with the first two episodes, and I ended up watching about 14 episodes in one night. After about seven episodes I couldn't stop, not sure how to explain why I love the fandom but I do and the show... I'm so glad I mustered my strength and sat through the intro for the first few episodes, because I cringed a lot and almost turned it off because of the intro.

How I became a Brony, I discovered the show when people were posting pictures on forums (one mostly that I don't visit anymore), fan made videos (PONIES The Anthology) and CR's retrospective on My Little Pony; but I didn't get into it because... the MLP label. I didn't watch it because it was a girls show so I didn't bother with the show (and I have a hatred for real ponies for biting my hand when I was young.) But after a while, I remembered that I like some girl shows, called Princess Tutu & Pretear which are great, so I figured; "Oh what the hell. I like anime that were made for girls, so let's give MLP a try." And then I watched it and... I didn't like it. I didn't know why I didn't like it at first, but I think PaleoSteno said the reason why I didn't like it, "Expedition, expedition, expedition and, oh yeah; Expedition." So then came episode 3 and I stopped watching halfway through the episode (Maybe because their written by Lauren Faust who I think is a better artist then a writer, but that might just be me though.)

So during the same night after I stopped watching, I looked up some of the Black Lagoon voice actors (and to see when the show was getting Re-released over here in the UK) and I got a surprised who voiced the characters. Roberta in the show (who is my favourite character in the show and kinda shares the same name first name for me) who is voiced by Tabitha St. Germain who voices Rarity (as well as Granny Smith, Princess Luna/Nightmare Moon, Photo Finish, Mrs. Cake, Pound Cake, Derpy Hooves, Philomena) which kinda gave me a second chance to watch it, but it wasn't UNTIL I saw who voiced Revy in Black Lagoon that made me wanna watch the show. For those who don't know, Revy is voiced by Maryke Hendrikse who voiced Gilda in MLPFiM. That right there got me to rewatch from episode 5 and I watched from 5-10 that night. BTW, you'll get a laugh out of this; Garcia Lovelace who Roberta is chasing because she wants to resuce him from being kidnapped is voiced by Cathy Weseluck who voices Spike in the show. I find that really funny! P.S. Check out Black Lagoon for other familiar voices in the show.

Anyway, back to My Little Pony, after I stopped watching that night, I found out that MLPFiM was on Boomerang at the time and I watched the first season on there and... I said it was an ok show. I didn't became a Brony then. After a while, Season 2 turned up on YouTube and I didn't catch it at first until the episode Secret of My Excess. After that, I really got interested in the show and I decided to watch the second series from the beginning. I saw full Dragon Spike, Discord, crazy Twilight, Princess of the Night returning, Time Traveling Twight; I was really getting into the show, but then came the video that made me into a Brony.

After watching that video, it made me into a Brony. And that's my Brony story.

Edited by ZionKraze
  • Brohoof 1

That is a good question for me, 'why' I became a brony or in my case a pegasister but for the sake of keeping it simple I just call myself a girl brony lol. Thing is I didnt even know I was one till this fandom spiraled out on a noticeable scale when generation 4 of MLP came out. I was raised throughout the first 3 generations with the slight exception of generation 3 because I was a teen by then and when I saw that I was disturbed beyond almost unreachable lol! I had always loved ponies though but was unaware there was a REAL fandom till MLP FIM came out. After that I realized i was always a brony I just didnt know I was supposed to call myself that. Now why do I love ponies so much? I guess from a girly kid perspective, its because I always wanted to be one! Now that I'm older I can appreciate the morals and friendship lessons the shows and episodes teached me. Why am I a brony? Because I love the franchise, I wish I were a pony and I love the message the shows give us.

Before February 2013, I had heard and seen some of the hype of this show around the Internet. I was actually neutral towards MLP but one fateful afternoon, I searched randomly on YouTube and watched the first episode I ran into (Keep Calm and Flutter On). I was stunned by the fact that this show was actually enjoyable and didn't suck like most other cartoons these days.

Then, I gave it another hour and happened to chance across the The Crystal Empire two-parter and absolutely loved it. I think I was sold at this point and started watching in order. By Applebuck Season, I realized this show was awesome. By Dragonshy, I realized I was completely hooked. By Winter Wrap Up, I found out that this was one of the best cartoons I've ever seen.

Throughout the next few weeks, I discovered the massive fan-base and creative content which only increased my liking of Mlp. That's how I became a brony.

I watched the show when it first came out on 2010 and i enjoyed it but nothing more

It is a good show but i didn't really get into it until i heard about the group

i thought it would be funny to do a presentation on this subject for my English class

Problem was that i got sucked into it while i was doing research 

So I became a brony because i was weak minded

I think I might have heard about it on a totally un-related website. After faffing around with it on the internet for a couple hours, I looked it up on YouTube.

Insert "Sick Bubblegum" here

It was amazing, even though I wasn't sure about liking ponies or anything at the time, I was going to give the show a chance. I watched the first episode.

-Angel Choir-

I thought My Little Pony was for little girls. I was SO wrong. The story, the characters, the animation, the music, the plot, the voices!

AUGH!

And that's pretty much it. I had hated My Little Pony before, because the stuff I saw was Gen 3. But I was so wrong about hating the show.

I joined, as much as I hate to say it, out of pure spite at first.

My best friend for the last 5 years has been talking about an anime that I tried to give a healthy shot, I really did with the anime, manga, and abridged series, but got to the same point in all 3. Now, he is a hyper obsessive fan boy of the show (Naruto btw) and has done little but rant about it nonstop since the beginning of August. I and many others had tried to get him to talk about something else and stop yelling nonstop about it and it's fanfiction. At the same time he was, and still is, the biggest anti-brony that I know. So, after he was talking about the 10 tail, and infinite pies being thrown at someone in the bathroom and all of Naruto's 1337 Pranking Skills, and all the other things for a good couple of hours.

At the time, and I still am, a big fan of the ace attorney series and had been trying to get him into it. (which I have managed to get him to listen to some of the music at least) and out of spite of his constant ranting, I decided to find counter rant material. In the process, I asked him why he hated ponies, and his brothers talked his ears off about it, so he hates it (and he's surprised that I can't stand Naruto or Halo for the same reason). So, I watched turnabout storm and some of the earlier episodes, and just kept on watching from there. I've since then fallen in love with everything about it, and make my fair share of fan work.

Well, I actually started watching MLP about a year ago. I saw 3 episodes from season 1, and I REALLY liked them. But I was to shy to admit I was a brony, and so I kinda left it for a while (a 1 year long while :P) But it wasn't until 2 days ago (my birthday btw) that I started watching the thing again, and this time I admitted it. I am a brony! ;D