• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

Curiosity started it all for me. I keep seeing all these pony macros and gifs everywhere that i finally decided to check it out to know what it's all about. I watched the Friendship of Magic two-part episode and thought it was okay. It didn't give me that oh my celestia this is amazing feeling, but i just watched the next few episodes anyway since i can already see the link to episode 3 in the recommended videos on the side of the screen. 

Probably around episode 5 is where started to become a brony. I just keep watching and watching and the next thing you know, I have a mlp folder on my laptop with screencaps, fanarts, memes and all that. 

My little pony has a way of dragging people into the fandom

2013 i watched the show wen i first came out but i didnet rilly pay eny mind to it becues i was still thinking it would be like the g1 and other.

around april i lost a bet and had  to watch s1 s2 and s3  been a brony ever sence 

Edited by lawrence9021

It started something like this. I read this comedy website a lot. Eventually, there was a article on the weirdest works on my little pony or something. In first place was rainbow factory. I had nothing to do, so i decided to read it. That was..... interesting. You may think i would not be interested in the show itself after that, and i was not. But finally, i got curious, and watched the episodes. All of them. On the net.  2013, sometime around September. Gods, i loved the thing.

And that is how i got my cutie mark.

:P

I became a brony back in August, I was in Ohio visiting family and our flight home was cancelled so we had to stay overnight; that night I couldn't sleep so for some reason I decided to go on youtube and find an episode of My Little Pony to watch, because I was curious for a while.  Once I watched my first episode(Call of the Cutie) I instantly fell in love, and within a month I had a t-shirt, applejack plush, and some pony figurines on my desk.  

Edited by aceassasin

I can't exactly remember the month I became an official "brony", but I remember how it happened. It was about a year and a half ago and I had a terrible cold, called into work, and had Netflix in front of me with tons of options. My best friend often told me about MLP:FiM and, being a child of the 80's, I remembered the original cartoon and assumed it was an update of what's already been done. Suffice to say, with some hot tea and a good blanket, I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. This new show was nothing like the slightly cliche, simple show that was in the 80's! My husband came home from work and I explained to him that he had to see this show. He didn't like it after one episode, was indifferent by the second, and became attached by the fifth. It's so funny how becoming a brony just...happens. I have met some great people along the way and the fandom makes me even more proud to be here!

I became a brony in quite an odd way. Me and my buddy have this thing where we watch youtube videos together over Skype and watch each others reactions, and he always played MLP youtube poops. I became interested in the characters and such, so I watched the first episode. Just to see what it was like. 4 hours later, I emerged from my room with red eyes, dry from staring at a bright screen in a dark room and the theme song stuck in my head. I never really stopped obsessing since then.

I became a brony sometime in august. Watched the first episode. I thought it was cute and I saw the immediate appeal it had to the girl who suggested it. Then watched the next couple of episodes and before I knew it, I had finished the first season and had ordered the all three seasons online.biggrin.png 

I actually became a brony about two weeks before I posted this very message (my first day on the site)! I'm already a huge follower of the show. I had some friends who watch MLP and I finally decided to see what the big deal was.

Episode 1: Hooked

Episode 2: Captured

Episode 3+: Addicted

Edited by EmoFlutterguy
  • Brohoof 1

I guess what initially drew me in was curiosity.

Very recently actually, October 2013.

Funny enough it was a College Humor video I saw mocking "My Little Pony" which made me curious.. why do so many people in their 20's like the show?? I have friends who started watching the show long before I did. I initially thought it was kinda stupid but that was before I actually watched the show, all I knew was that the ponies had girly names (except for Applejack) and was essentially created to sell toys for little girls...but then I started watching it, much more than selling toys..much more..and I don't even know...it's crazy. 

I started watching them in chronological order..became more and more interested.. by the time I watched "Dragonshy", I became completely hooked and was watching "MLP:FiM" whenever I had free time..finished all three seasons and Equestria Girls pretty quickly.

The show can be really funny, its main characters are all incredibly likable (which you can't say about most cartoons or TV shows for that matter, I actually have a hard time picking a favorite of the Mane Six since they all have their awesome moments)...and I am a sucker for the animation. It is also reminiscent of cartoons from the 90's, except without the gross-out aspects.

A show with rainbow-colored apples has to be da bomb.

I remember the exact moment. It was at 3:10 a.m. on November 10th. I finally got the courage to watch the pilot episodes and loved it instantly.

I didn't really get a lot of sleep after that. 

Well, I officialy joined in september, I'm pretty late in the fandom, but the first time I see and semi-enjoy something related with MLP, it was back in 2012 or 2011, I don't realy remember...

all started one ordinary day, I was pacefully watching minecraft youtube video when I saw IT for the first time, It was a rainbow factory remake in minecraft. I was curious about it so I made a little research on it, I will never forget this moment of msg-8308-0-76652000-1382912179.png that changed my life forever...

Edited by Shadling

Being a fan of Minecraft, I decided to watch one of KuleDud3's splatturday videos. That's when I found out he was a brony. So since the community seemed so epic, I decided to watch an episode out of curiosity. A few episodes later led to a two week-long marathon of all the episodes. Then that led to reading fanfics and looking at fanart. Safe to say that I'm a brony and proud:D

EDIT: lol i forgot to say it was sometime in august

Edited by DaFlash

I got into it in December 2011/January 2012, because of a couple of recommendations from friends. I've had ups and downs since that in being into the show/fandom, but I've always had a sense of bronydom.

Before, I jokingly teased the fandom, figuring I'd probably like it if I got into it (I was right). I liked to tease it as though I didn't want to bother with it. That was fun, but then I watched the show and the rest is history. biggrin.png

I joined this forum soon after. Can't believe I've lurked/trolled this place for that long.

Edited by Zenith

At first, I was a little perplexed about how men could like something with this concept. A show about My Little Pony that appeals to people of all ages? That just sounded way too strange to me. But, I just let it be for the time. As long as the fanbase didn't become obnoxious, I could really care less about what people think of it.

That was until my best friend became a brony. He introduced me to the series and I slowly became a brony by the fractions. I was a quarter of a brony, half a brony, heck, I was even 99/100th's of a brony at one point. Soon, I became a brony and a couple of friends of mine introduce me to these forums. The fanbase itself is what pretty much cemented me as a member of the herd.

Here's my story of when I became a brony. Now it's pretty long so bear with me lol

My vote as to when I became a brony is pretty arbitrary. I don't remember when the first time I watched an episode. I remember in early 2012 I had seen a couple memes that mentioned the word brony and I instantly drew the connection between bro and pony, but I never knew what the hell it was referring to. 

Well I was hanging out with some friends and I had used the word brony out of context. One of them asked me if I knew what it meant and I said that I knew it was a combination of the words bro and pony but I didn't know anything else about it. Well he went on to explain that there are guys our age who watch and enjoy My Little Pony. I was kinda baffled at the idea. Like, I have a little sister who is 9 years my junior. I'm the oldest of five and so I watched after her when we were younger. When she was 3, she loved Telletubbies. It was painful for me to watch but watching a kids' show wasn't a foreign concept to me. 

But on your own time? Now that was foreign.

I'm going to guess that around March 2012 was the first time I watched an episode of MLP. If I remember right, I think it was Bridle Gossip. I only did it because I started seeing more and more memes that involved ponies. So I posted on Facebook that I was going to check out My Little Pony just to see what all the hubbub was about. I mean, it would be different if everyone didn't care for it. But had they not, then it would never had created so much talk. And so, like I said, around March 2012, I watched Bridle Gossip. I vowed to myself that, like the show or not, I was only going to watch ONE episode and not get involved with all this girly pony business. 

...I mean...I played football and basketball in high school. I worked on cars and electronics. I did farming. I've done a lot to establish "masculinity" and I wasn't about to tarnish my reputation by becoming a brony. No way. So even if I did like the episode, I promised I would drop it and never pick it up again. 

And that's what I did. Until about mid to late June...

I was bored at my house on my dad's farm. I had finished all my homework. It was, like 110°F (that's roughly 40°C) outside and so staying indoors was about all I could do. And all because I watched that one episode of My Little Pony on YouTube, I kept getting all these recommendations for other pony episodes. It was kind of starting to piss me off, but at the same time I was intrigued. Why did these videos have more than 5 million views? And how did they have such great ratings?

I decided to just drop my prejudices against the episode and watch it. For three days, I did nothing but binge on ponies. I watched every episode in order until the end of Season 2 within those three days. I watched this show like a crack addict. A few weeks later, I started my account on MLP Forums. I told my friends that I might be a brony and they didn't mind. The only people I couldn't tell were my family. I knew they wouldn't approve. So I haven't mentioned anything else about ponies on Facebook. 

So yeah, I might say I've been a brony for 2½ years now. I love this show. This show and Fullmetal Alchemist are my two favorite shows ever. 

So it may be My Little Pony. But Lauren has made it something greater than the previous iterations of the show. At first, it was more about the irony of it. I only did it to be different. Today, I'm a brony because I freaking love this show. It's amazing and so is its fanbase :)

• Brohoof 1

i have been a pegasister as long as i can remember.... was obsessed with mlp for a long time, and when it vanished, it hurt. time passed by, and i started packing up my toys, vhs tapes, and figurines. then it came back on, to the present day mlp. at first i wasnt ready to accept change and continue my obsession, mostly because so many good shows have been reincarnated into scary things. but one day, curiosity overtook me, and i was hooked once again!smile.png