• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

I can't remember exactly,but I think I just looking up random dubstep/techno mixes in December 2011 and came across At The Gala(%20 Cooler Remix) by Sim Gretina and just started to watch the show a little.
Then the day A Friend Indeed came out,I spent the entire day watching the show catching up.

Then my dad came in and was like "What are you watching?" and I just said "My Little Pony" and he just like "Why are you watching My Little Pony?" I just said "Because it's good and it's got a big following" and he just called me weird and left. lol

Back in early 2011, I saw the season one pilot on the side bar in YouTube.  This was around the time that I had vaguely heard about "bronies" (which I had originally thought were pronounced (brah-nees) like the word "bronco" or a male horse.)  I watched half of the pilot, and I thought that it wasn't anything to rave about.  (Which it wasn't;  IMO the season 1 pilot was really mediocre)  Nonetheless, I was still intrigued by the style of animation and comforted with the thought of watching a relatively happy cartoon again as a teenager.  I ignored the fan-base entirely and went on about my business until (I think it was) November/December 2011.  I remember watching "Hearth's Warming Eve"  (the episode about the history of Equestria with the Christmas theme) and I was surprised by how entertaining I found it to be.  This is when I actually knew that I was slowly becoming a part of the fan-base.  I began to watch more of Season 2, and low and behold it was much better than that initial season one pilot episode.  I began watching more and more (in secrecy of course) and all of the sudden, in my mind, I became a "brony."  I guess there's no "formal initiation" for this, so this is how it happened to me.

I became one around June 2011. I was browsing Youtube, when I decided to check a Youtuber that I had been following since 2006 (Masterlinkx), and I noticed some MLP videos on his channel. I was only 13 at the time, so it doesn't surprise me that my reaction went something like, "What...Seriously, are these men gay? Why are men watching My Little Pony?!" but then I took an arrow in the knee watched some clips of the show and I was rather shocked to find it was just amazing! It wasn't until January 2012, however, until I watched the first two episodes of the show with my friend. We then watched the entire show in a matter of weeks, finally catching up with one of the episodes in season 2, which if I remember correctly, was Putting Your Hoof Down.

I actually watched the premire of this show, haha. 

It was on, and it looked cool, so I kept watching. I discovered that other people watched it to the next summer C:

On a boring night some time in May or June 2013 I saw a My Little Pony video in the "Related Videos" on a video I watching. I had known about My Little Pony since around early 2011 when it was starting to gain a lot of fans, but always dismissed bronies as stupid, that they were watching a little girls show, etc but never got around to watching an episode until 2013 which, looking back, is quite shocking to me because I'm usually one to give something a chance.

I decided to watch an episode out of sheer boredom to see if it was as bad as I was expecting it to be. The first episode I watched was "Bridle Gossip" and thought it was decent so I decided to watch another episode...My intrigue grew as I ended the session having watched 4 straight episodes. I really started to like it and it went on from there. I gradually watched the rest of the episodes over the course of the month and here I am today!

Edited by Black Raven

My intro post explains it pretty well, but I'll recount it all for everypony here.  I was playing on Tera and someone was spamming to watch Smile HD.  So I watched it.  The song and characters were so cool I had to give it a shot.  I was little drunk... so found it on Netflix and let it run.  After a few episodes... I couldn't stop it for some reason.  After awhile I realized I was singing the songs and next thing I know... I'm sober, it's the next day... and I'm on season 3.  So I finished everything.  I then found all the fan art and songs and was just blown away.  The lessons contained were all good, some of them were sincerely helpful.  Next thing I know... I'm a brony.  I was even debating purchasing some shirts... anyway.  I watched some documentaries on it, and other ponies explanations and it just felt so right.  I'm happy to be a part of this community.  I'm a 24 year old veteran of the USAF... and a "tough" guy so to speak.  It felt refreshing to have found something I enjoyed so much that didn't have to do with representing an image, and was just because I liked it.  I guess I had never realized how much society had really controlled who I was.  

• Brohoof 1

September 2013. I saw a YTPMV made only from MLP clips, and then I felt the urge to watch that show. So I posted about it on a forum, and then this guy told me to watch the first episode and gave me the link. When I started watching it, I thought "Hey this isn't bad, might watch more of it later", and then I continued watching until I thought "Oh my god this is the best show ever". I still haven't finished season 1, but I do know that this is literally the best show ever (I don't even watch much TV and I only watch MLP on my computer).

My parents probably don't know I'm a brony, and neither do my siblings. They might know because a few times one of them has walked into my room as I was watching MLP but right when they came I switched to a different tab.

After watching an episode with Rainbow Dash fighting G1 Starscream on an online show called Death Battle, I became curious. I searched for the show, found it on Wikipedia, Youtubed it up, watched the pilot, continued until I saw both seasons and BAM I was hooked mid season 1. That's how I became apart of the herd.

Well, I posted here before, but now the whole story.

About June 12th, I decided to browse memebase (back then, memes were practically my fandom.) As I said before I was a fairly depressed person and I found the 20% cooler meme. And loved it. So I decided to watch MLP since it seemed to be cool. I became a happy dashie. But I became a Twilly fan after I saw Lesson Zero.

It was in August and school was just starting. Me and my friend were on the bus and he showed me his My Little Pony belt. I couldn't think of any reason to watch the show, so I decided to find out myself. I watched the first 2 episodes, and I guess you know what happened next.

I became a brony probably this August after increasingly being exposed to the show over the past year and a half, mostly through YouTube videos. I didn't care much about the show until around June when I finally decided to willingly search for media related to it. Soon I realized that I really liked the show's Flash animation style and the personalities of the characters. I think they really go well together. One of my two brothers (we're triplets) has also been a brony for almost two years now. When I discovered he was a brony, I thought it was hilarious and that he was crazy for being one. But now I think it's cool since I'm one now as well. However, my brother still doesn't know that I know he's a brony, nor does he know that I'm now a brony like him. 

i became a brony in july 2012. i first discovered its existence about march that year, i started noticing a lot of mlp art on a furry board i frequented, and how some people were reacting rather badly to the show and the flood of artwork. i started noticing more of it and that people were talking a bit about the show on the sites forumboards. (some good, some bad.)

well, i liked the art but not enough to watch the show. well, by july i decided to see what it was all about. so i flipped on the hub and the episode was "dragon quest". i didn't think the show would be very good, but i found myself laughing a lot. same with the next episode i watched, "applebuck season" . loved it!, and then "lesson zero". i knew i was hooked after that. lesson zero is still my favorite.

• Brohoof 1

I blame my friends for this, seriously.... At first, I wanted nothing to do with it while they were buying mcdonalds toys, and for a while, I resisted. But finally, I broke down and gave in to my love of the ponies.

I'm probably not as big of a fan as some here, but if I count I'll say December 2012.

My first actual experience with MLP was during a sort of inter-school carnival that we have in my area. Debating was one of the sports, and it was customary for such people to enter the speech competitions... and, of course, a girl from another team did her speech on MLP. As much as some of this stuff has made me cringe on YouTube, I really didn't care at the time. I more... sort of zoned out.

I only got interested in it watching it after joshscorcher's review of the pilot episodes. I was 'nostalgia testing' other stuff from my childhood at the time, so I thought "what the heck" and watched the opening two parter.

Unlike many people, I actually really liked the opening, but I despised the Ticket Master and was lukewarm on Applebuck Season. So, I left it for about four weeks, when I stumbled across an article talking about Ponyville Confidential. That interested me, so I decided to give the show another shot. Watched Griffon the Brush Off and loved it, then began gradually making my way through the seasons.

• Brohoof 1

Well howdy hey, my story ain't that interesting.

I never had a problem with bronies at all, and I had heard aaaaaall about the hypitty hype of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. I said to myself, "There has to be a reason people like this. I mean, the internet is ALWAYS right, right?" Sooooo I sat down one day, saw an episode was about to run on The Hub, tuned in. It was Super Cider Squeezy 6000. I...liked it! Very much! I decided to plop myself down each weekend and watch an episode. With reruns, I was able to see the entire 1st and 2nd season. I then tuned into each season and am now on Season 4~.

That's how I became a brony/pegasister, and I'm glad to be apart of this fandom. c:

• Brohoof 1

I just joined this site today, and this topic actually made me do a lot of thinking to remember when I started with my MLP love.

I want to say it was either August or September of 2012 (last year) I had just settled into my college dorm room and my roommate had bought a color book (sorority recruitment week, we had a lot of spare time on our hands) and it happened to be MLP. She asked me if I had ever seen an episode, once I said no she forced me to sit through an episode..since then I've been hooked! I watched almost every episode that was out at the time that week and have been keeping up ever since. I've been a Rarity girl since day one!

I must say I love reading some of the other stories here ^,^

• Brohoof 1

I don't remember exactly when, but it was during the hiatus between Season 2 and 3. I saw a link on Reddit about the show and decided to check it out (probably because Tara Strong was in it or something). One viewing became 2 and soon I was watching seasons 1 and 2 on Netflix nightly, and the rest is history.