• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

Yes, I know, Equestria Daily already did it, but this is a different community, so it'd just be a little something interesting! Self explanatory, what month did you officially become a Brony? I can't remember exactly when I did, but I'm thinking it was somewhere around May.

I became a Pegasister in early 2014. My friend told me about it in 2010 but I never bothered getting into it. Until one day in 2014 I just decided to watch it from the first episode onwards. After a couple of episodes I got addicted. And that's how it happened :)

(edited)

I became a Brony in December 2014 by watching random youtube videos. After watching the videos I looked for episodes of MLP on Youtube and the first one I watched was "Parasprites" From then on I never looked back.

Edited by superdogz1999

I became a brony in late August 2013. Can't remember very well but around 2011 or early 2012 I just started seeing more and more pony content in other sites I was, even in a gaming server where I used to play alot started talking about the show and using memes from it.

I vaguely watched some PMVs and fanmade content, but a year later I found the episode "Call of the Cutie" when I got curious about this pony character (Apple Bloom), I liked it, watched some more episodes and I finally realized that I was addicted to the show...

Somewhere back in 2012 or so I believe at the peak of the fandom since I saw pony stuff floating all over the internet with memes of Dashie etc. and I just thought to myself that I'd give it a try...

Loved it after some episodes and here I am ;D

I became a brony in February of this year. I have Winston Churchill to thank for converting me. I had a project for the Ohio History Day Competition about Churchill, but I had waited until the last two weeks to start and complete a project that I had all year to work on. Luckily, (And unsurprisingly) it was snowing very badly, and we were out of school for those two weeks. I was working on it the entire time while using Netflix. After starting and finishing Broadchurch, and Attack on Titan, I had nothing to watch as I worked. I decided the best way to chose a random show was to get a random number generater and find a number between 10 and 20. I counted out that many shows and read out, "My Little Pony: Frienship is Magic." I laughed at the notion of watching that and went on to youtube. Again, one of the recommended videos was episode 1 of MLP. I laughed at that and went onto google in search of anything other than ponies. I searched Doctor Who, and found a ponified version of it. I finally broke down and watched the first episode. I marathoned the first three seasons.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

It was sometime around Season 2. Not exactly sure, But my sister was like 6 at the time so she liked it. She was watching it one day and she ran into my room screeming. She had gotten to Party of One. I had to sit with her and watch it so she didn't get scared. I really liked the animation, and the Mane 6 stuck out. A month later I had finished Season 1 and was on Newgrounds. I watched Cupcakes and had therapy for two years. After that, I started liking the show even more. At the beginning of this year I started feeling out over MLP, So...I guess I'm a brony now. Also, Even after Cupcakes, Pinkie Pie is my second favorite pony. Odd.

Edited by Swift Wind

I became a Pegasister in early 2014. My friend told me about it in 2010 but I never bothered getting into it. Until one day in 2014 I just decided to watch it from the first episode onwards. After a couple of episodes I got addicted. And that's how it happened :)

In 2010? WOW your friend is an ancient brony!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Mid-late March 2012, some of my best mates got me into it as they were as well.

Quick story. I was bemused by the idea at first but like many others it only took one episode to get me hooked. I have never had decent internet at home so I bypassed my school's internet filter and used a youtube-downloader to rip the episodes from youtube, one at a time, in 240p, on my school's 10kbps internet connection. It would take me over an hour to download an episode at times, no joke. Of course it was totally worth it - I'd watch them on my laptop when I got home. Those were the days.

Feeling really nostalgic lately so I decided to get back into MLP, and this show has the ridiculous ability to make me smile and laugh along with the characters, which is a first for me.

Edited by Sky Flare

(edited)

My first encounter with ponies was Flufflepuff's PFUDOR. I can remember that one of my friends linked it to our fb group to show what silly stuff he had found. I had no idea what the hell is that but I laughed. Interesting, cuz until I watched the pony.mov serie(was in early 2013 I guess) I had no idea that this stuff exists. I had never seen a single reference to ponies. So pony.mov happened and later I have seen some other fan made videos like Smile HD and Cupcakes HD and I was curious what is this all about. So I gave it a chance and watched the first episode...in my own language...At the half of the episode I was about to hang myself up if I have to watch another minute of it. I think I have decided to give it another chance when I have seen ScrewAttack's Starscream vs Rainbow Dash in February this year. So I watched the first 2 episodes in english. It wasn't very impressive first but somehow I kept on watching the episodes. I liked the voices and the songs but the turning point was the This Day Aria. I was like: " HOLY COW, WHAT?" I liked it soo much I showed the song to my father(who is a musician) and asked what does he think. He was impressed too and asked that where is this song came from. I wish I could show you a picture about my father's face when he found out :D . The other side of the story is that I really liked Fluttershy's character so it was the other thing that tempt me to keep on. 

Edited by Kerberossz

I encountered My Little Pony around march, I was watching it while playing games. didn't take much notice of it, though the colours did catch my attention. About april my friend told me there was a fandom called bronies, I didn't know what they were so I did a Google search, I found a few websites none explaining much. I then found a YouTube video and it gave me a big understanding for bronies. I then watched MLP from the first episode then I was hooked. Funny thing is ever since I became a brony, I got back into drawing and became much happier than I was before.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Be prepared for a vivid recollection:

I vaguely remember seeing a pink horse gallivanting in some dingy caves in my young cousin's car monitor (Little did I know I was witnessing the splendour that was This Day Aria). It must have been sometime in 2012 when the Season 2 disk had hit the shelves. I was only hazily aware of My Little Pony being a girl's franchise and I dismissed it as a superficial marketing ploy and looked away. Apart from one memory of a G2 (I think) commercial, I'm glad that my first encounter with the franchise was G4.

Sometime around late January 2013, I noticed a recommendation on YouTube titled "Twilighticious" but refrained from satiating my curiosity. I did one quick search and noticed a plethora of pony videos, to my confusion. I was unaware of the existence of Friendship is Magic then realized that the last cartoon I had enjoyed was Phineas and Ferb which I abandoned out of annoyance for its repetitive plotlines and increasingly annoying songs and characters. I am proud to say at that moment, I did so with no bias nor prejudice and said to myself, "This gets only ONE chance."

I first viewed was the Extended Theme. To my great surprise, when listening, I deciphered the lines "Applejack of my eye", "a Rarity to come by" and "and you all make fun and laughter, as easy as Pinkie Pie" seconds before I heard them. Now I was really intrigued, as I questioned whether I had this weird affinity for My Little Pony. But I was aware at that moment that this cartoon, whatever it would prove to be, was better than the previous iterations of the franchise and instinctively felt it was of certain standard

I waited until I was alone at home that I randomly clicked on an episode that turned out to be Keep Calm and Flutter On. I found myself asking, "Discord, what the hell is he?" I decided the episode was decent enough and the next two I watched was The Crystal Empire two parter (I found Cadance strangely familiar). This time, I watched it with undivided attention and found myself stunned. Refusing to believe what I was seeing, I sat down and watched the pilot episodes Friendship Is Magic all the way until Dragonshy. It was only until I clicked unconsciously on Look Before You Sleep that I realized I really liked My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic.

The rest is a blur but I remember checking out some plot synopses for anything that could point to the origin of Discord. Unfortunately, this haphazard viewing method also caused me to watched Magical Mystery Cure and spoil Twilicorn (which I had no objection, even then, just disbelief) for myself, but there was generally an order as to which I viewed the episodes. Baby Cakes was the last, as I steered clear from the concept but after I viewed it, I realized it was a great episode.

I was enthralled by the fact that even the least enjoyable episode for me (Dragon Quest) was still personally better than nearly all of Pre-Modern Spongebob and on par with Jackie Chan Adventures. Throughout this whole process, I had come across bold proclamations on the Internet saying it was the best modern animated series and the best of the decade that I had never concurred until I reflected and realized that I enjoyed everything about the show: the visually appealing animation, engaging characters and fantasy setting.

It was then I gained full confidence about this investment as the show had upheld a good track record and I delved into the fandom. I discovered one creative marvel after another, fan-made content, Equestria Daily and games.

By March, I had downloaded 11 of the most iconic songs to listen while holidaying. By May, I had found a favourite fandom musician that I brought overseas again. By July, the fanfic Bittersweet was the first form of entertainment that ever moved me to tears and Ponydora Prancypants' amazing novella Flight of the Alicorn was finished in a single day. By August, I was a part of MLPForums. Even in November, when I was on an exchange trip in Beijing in a dormitory with only Internet Access via LAN Cable, I stayed up until midnight, two hours after Princess Twilight Sparkle had aired (+GMT 8) and endured 240p owing to the terrible connectivity.

Two years later, I feel more than ever that this investment and this place of trust of quality in MLP:FIM was well-deserved. I spent nearly a quarter of my time overseas in 2013 but the show was the year's highlight. If anything, I had nothing negative to say when Equestria Girls was announced in June that year as I had earned confidence and the movie turned out better than I expected. Season 4 only reaffirmed my love for the show and Season 5 so far is no different.

No matter what lies ahead, I will always be eternally grateful to MLP:FIM for brightening up my life in so many wonderful ways and bringing so much happiness.

Edited by ShadowPhoenix
  • Brohoof 1

I became a brony the first time I watched an episode. That was around when season 2 came out. I watch every episode but didn't really go on fan sites until now.

I became a brony the first time I watched an episode. That was around when season 2 came out. I watch every episode but didn't really go on fan sites until now.

• Brohoof 4

I became one around the time Power Ponies was aired. I think it was in December 2013. Anyway, the story of why I became a being is pretty cool (in my opinion). I had finished watching the Teens React to My Little Pony, and decided to see why people watched it. I found the first episode, and watched it. I then thought to myself, well, I can't just watch part one, I have to watch part two! I did so, and upon finishing it, found the third episode and watched it. I have been a brony since then.

(edited)

For me, it was in the middle of August 2014 and I was watching old cartoons when I came across a parody of the fan-made video "MLP:FiM Double Rainboom". I clicked because I saw the Powerpuff Girls but did not recognize Rainbow Dash(I then proceeded to watch the fan-made video to see what it was about then started watching mlp). I actually wasn't that surprised that mlp was as good as it is, especially when I saw Lauren Faust's name in the opening credits.

Edited by SomeMLP Brony

I'm no brony. Never was. Never will be. I'm just a fan of cartoons.

Repeatedly checking Equestria Daily for MLP-related news, and awaiting the premiere of each new episode.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to sum it up.

Year 7 Primary School project, did "Animation and Anime", found ponies while looking for girl animations. Found it weird, had a look at a wiki article. Looked into it more during the course of the project. Started liking it around July. Watched the Equestria Girls movie first, found all these main brony sites. EQD, FimFiction and stuff.

Decided to call myself a brony on Halloween 2013.

And watched first ever episode in December 2013, Season 2. Not S1 or S3. But I did watch S4 live.

Found Poniverse in July 2014 and decided to join because it looked interesting.

==

This is probably the shortest I can come up with :\

The circumstances of my induction into the brony community are rather humorous. I used to lead an achievement server community on Team Fortress 2 with a friend of mine, and he happened to be a brony at the time. Alongside him, several bronies seemed to be flooding into our server on a regular basis.

At the time, I had neither a negative nor positive view of the show or its fandom, and I just viewed it as a nuisance due to the frequency with which I had to ban people who sprayed adult sprays featuring the show's characters. Eventually, through a combination of this and the prodding of my fellow leader, I watched a few parodies of the show, but not the show itself. The thing I found most amusing were the videos with 'unnecessary censorship' that made it seem like Twilight and other characters were cursing.

After this, I decided I would watch my first episode, and at the recommendation of my fellow leader, I watched S01E16, Sonic Rainboom, as apparently it was one of the best episodes at the time (this was roughly half-way through Season 2, at the time). I decided I enjoyed the show, so I watched all the way from season one to two, and decided that I would call myself a brony. 

I quickly got into writing fanfiction and other silliness after that, but have since matured quite a bit and dropped such things as a hobby. Now I am more or less a 'passive' rather than 'active' brony. I have only a few t-shirts featuring the show, and I have three figurines.