• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

I joined the fandom mid 2013. I used to despise MLP because I thought it was extremely girly, but that was when generation 3.5 was around. However, when I found out about the generation 4 in 2010, I saw that it was spread across the internet. I wondered why it was so popular, so I gave it a shot. When I saw a few episodes, I enjoyed it. I then went on to look at YTPs of MLP and I found them quite hilarious. That's when I found out about bronies. I didn't consider it weird one bit! So, I became one myself. One time, I visited my friend in Newcastle, and she was also addicted to MLP. It told her that I liked the show, and we both did an MLP marathon for the whole day. 

And that, my friends is how I joined the herd! /)

• Brohoof 2

I remember it like it was yesterday, I was in my room in Egypt looking at videos on a cartoon website. I had seen all the ones I wanted to watch and scrolled down to see My Little Pony: FriendShip is Magic. I was bored so I mehed and clicked on it. After seeing the first part I was mildly intrested in what they were doing with it. I was assuming it was going to be a miserable kids show like TellyTubbies, instead I was becoming sucked into the story. I finished all of the first four seasons in a month and began scouring the My little Brony website for more content. Even watched some of my favorite episodes. I just couldn't stop thinking about ponies. Yeah I got hooked big time while I was in Egypt. Now I've still get excited with every new episode and I still can't wait to see what comes next in store for the pastel pony world. 

I became a brony since summer 2014 :yay: I remembered being curious about what MLP is about, so I decided to search up the very first episodes...and easy to say, I gt interested pretty fast. I'm glad I discovered My Little Pony, I wouldn't have been the person I became today :squee:

• 3 weeks later...

Honestly, I became a Brony relatively late. I was slightly aware of the fact that there was a new reincarnation of the show, but wasn't really that familiar with it nor did I care that much. Then I saw this YouTube video called Teens React To My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic and, when I found out that there was a strong following of male teen and adult viewers, I was thinking to myself "Why would males like this overly girly show?" Though, to be fair, the only exposure I had of the show was the godawful 3rd generation which was soo over-the-top girly it was disgusting. As I watched the video, though, I felt like it seemed kind of unfair for these teens to base their opinions of the show just off of the intro. As time went by, I learned a little bit more about the show. I found out about Tara Strong's involvement as well as Lauren Faust's, I saw clips of the show and found the character designs to be pleasing to the eye, then one of my brothers mentioned that Weird Al Yankovic was a guest star on the show about 2 years back, and, finally, another one of my brothers watched the first 5 episodes off of my Netflix account. I figured that he must've liked the show if he managed to watch the first 5 episodes so I started watching the show back in February of 2014 and found myself really enjoying it. About a month later, I had gotten through the first 3 seasons and the first Equestria Girls movie. By the time the credits to the movie started rolling was when I officially acknowledged that I was a Brony and I've never looked back since then. I later asked my brother why he didn't watch the show anymore to which he said that he "remembered that he was a dude" which I thought was a really weak excuse, but I'm not forcing it on him. I have a 4 year-old brother who really enjoys watching the show with me. He's currently on the penultimate episode of Season 3. I really enjoy watching it with him as I feel like it gives us our own personal bonding time.

Edited by FlutterGuy999
  • Brohoof 1

I became a brony in august 2013. My friends stopped talking to me and I gave in and watched the show cause I had nothing else better to do with my time. Now I'm some nerd that likes a show about friendship being magic when all my friends abandoned me. The irony.

Here, have my story shamelessly copy and pasted from my introduction:

Sometime in early 2011 at the "mature" age of 11 I was lurking in my favorite forums known as Facepunch when I found out there was a flame war about My Little Pony. Confused, I looked into it further and found out about the show. Myself being an open minded little kid, I searched it up on Youtube.

I instantly fell in love, but soon came to realize that would mean I was a "Brony", a new term to me. As I changed my online presence to a more pony related one I was horrified to see all the hate coming in. People were calling me stupid and other much more unpleasant things. That didn't stop 11 year old me though and as time went on I became more vocal in real life about MLP. My parents encouraged me and told me I shouldn't be judged for what I like. Soon enough, by 8th grade my room was filled with pony related stuff and everyone in our small school knew me as the brony. I was accepted for who I was and I was loud and proud about it.

Then, a move happened and highschool came. Disaster struck with it's cold, cruel hands and I became overwhelmed. I started to become embarrassed about my obsession, did I really need all this pony junk? I moved away from MLP for years, avoiding it like the devil. I joined in on calling bronies weirdos a few times. It seemed like my love for MLP was in the past.

Then while I was very sick, on one fateful night in 2015, I had an urge. An urge to watch My Little Pony. With out anything else to do, I took my school-issued Ipad and started binge-watching the entire series. It is the only time I've ever binge-watched anything ever. I fell in love again, but I was in denial. I grew to hate bronies. Why would I let myself become what I hated again? I was doing so good, I put past me those cringey middleschool years.

I fought for days against the urge to be a brony once again, but eventually it won. Pony avatars began to flock my social media. Messages of concerns were spammed, saying that people were concerned for me (seriously, several people were concerned about me being a brony lol). The Anti-Bronies I had befriended had unfriended me. It was a tough battle but I prevailed with an old interest of mine revitalized.

TL;DR I used to be a brony, then I stop and hated the show and its fans. Then I came back to enjoying it after my first ever binge-watching of a show. Fun stuff.

• Brohoof 3

2010 isn't an option?  :sunbutt:

It was November 2010 when I first saw it online somewhere- i think some website somewhere was talking about the "surprising male fanbase" or something like that. I looked into it, and was surprised that it was so good. I instantly started to watch the episodes when they would leak online. 

• Brohoof 1

I became a fan a few years ago and grew into a brony sometime afterwards. :P

I remember hearing about guys becoming fans of the show and being like "yay! Express yourselves!" I still thought the show was baby-ish though on account of it being called a little kids show. However, a few months after hearing about it, I decided to take a look and see what all the hype was about.

So I looked up a random episode (I wanted to see what an average episode was like), which ended up being Baby Cakes, and watched it. I felt kinda dumb at first. But within a few minutes I was like "hey... this isn't really baby-ish at all."

So I watched the beginning episodes from there, and after that I just became a brony naturally. :P

It did take time though. I was a casual fan for a while, and I'd take a lot of time off from watching the show and participating in the fandom. Only this year did I really start getting majorly into Mlp (consistently, anyway).

So... yep. That's my story. XP

I joined in late 2012, I think it was. I was hanging out with my friends, and one of the showed us all episode 1. We all sat there through it, and they were insulting it. Since I was with them, I started doing so as well. However, after we were done, and they had all left, I told my friend that I wanted to watch more of it, because I had actually enjoyed it. To be honest, it was Fluttershy that piqued my interest. I was immediately drawn to her. I dunno if I would have enjoyed it as much as I did if it hadn't been for Flutters, not to say that it's not a good show though. I'd still probably be watching it, even if she wasn't in it.

Edited by Ink Well

Sometime in early 2011 at the "mature" age of 11 I was lurking in my favorite forums known as Facepunch when I found out there was a flame war about My Little Pony. Confused, I looked into it further and found out about the show. Myself being an open minded little kid, I searched it up on Youtube.

I instantly fell in love, but soon came to realize that would mean I was a "Brony", a new term to me. As I changed my online presence to a more pony related one I was horrified to see all the hate coming in. People were calling me stupid and other much more unpleasant things. That didn't stop 11 year old me though and as time went on I became more vocal in real life about MLP. My parents encouraged me and told me I shouldn't be judged for what I like. Soon enough, by 8th grade my room was filled with pony related stuff and everyone in our small school knew me as the brony. I was accepted for who I was and I was loud and proud about it.

Then, a move happened and highschool came. Disaster struck with it's cold, cruel hands and I became overwhelmed. I started to become embarrassed about my obsession, did I really need all this pony junk? I moved away from MLP for years, avoiding it like the devil. I joined in on calling bronies weirdos a few times. It seemed like my love for MLP was in the past.

Then while I was very sick, on one fateful night in 2015, I had an urge. An urge to watch My Little Pony. With out anything else to do, I took my school-issued Ipad and started binge-watching the entire series. It is the only time I've ever binge-watched anything ever. I fell in love again, but I was in denial. I grew to hate bronies. Why would I let myself become what I hated again? I was doing so good, I put past me those cringey middleschool years.

I fought for days against the urge to be a brony once again, but eventually it won. Pony avatars began to flock my social media. Messages of concerns were spammed, saying that people were concerned for me (seriously, several people were concerned about me being a brony lol). The Anti-Bronies I had befriended had unfriended me. It was a tough battle but I prevailed with an old interest of mine revitalized.

TL;DR I used to be a brony, then I stop and hated the show and its fans. Then I came back to enjoying it after my first ever binge-watching of a show. Fun stuff.

That's kinda how my story goes except i used to despise it all the way, got caught up in PMV stuff one day after high school exams, i had to slump down in my chair and was like, " yep. I'm one of them now." And ever since spring of 2013 I've been hooked. I used to be a huge anti brony troll. 

• Brohoof 1

Glad you were able to enjoy it again. :)

That's kinda how my story goes except i used to despise it all the way, got caught up in PMV stuff one day after high school exams, i had to slump down in my chair and was like, " yep. I'm one of them now." And ever since spring of 2013 I've been hooked. I used to be a huge anti brony troll. 

Yup, when I started watching the show again I despised myself at first, thinking pretty much the same thing. Pretty silly of me looking back.

Glad you were able to enjoy it again. :)

Yup, I am too. It's kinda neat though because I get this nice weird nostalgic feeling whenever I watch the show now thanks to that long time absence. Makes it even better :v

• Brohoof 1

I’m not so sure of the month. But I became a Brony only because I am always so curious. I was like "Man why these people watching girly cartoons with POOONIES!????". Den I watched it and I never turned back. I remember watching a season in a night, or something like that.

I denied it for a long while. Then I went into a private spot of my school to tell my friend. He wasn't my friend for about a minute.

I used to like Viva Pinata a lot, and then randomly thought it was stupid when I was a lot younger. I have watched it once or twice now, but I cant get over its stupid humour, and cheesy themes. So I don’t like that any more. I used to hide this too.

But the thing is, I would intentionally make it obvious, for both My Little Pony, and Viva Pinata (although the two were far seperated as age of watching them).

It's fine though right now. MY friends know. I browse this forum at school sometimes.

• Brohoof 1

I am going to be as truthful as I possibly can. It all start from when I was into CreepyPastas. I happen to come across a pasta by the name Cupcakes. It kinda got to me at first, but I eventually got used to it. I kept hearing my daughter bring up how she liked MLP, and decided hey why not just get her ep's from the show so she can have to watch at her own leisure. I got her seasons 1-4 so that she could watch them. After side tracking with my own personal likes I was bored one day and decide to look into what my daughter had interest in. I made a choice to just watch g4 from season 1. From the beginning it immediately got my attention, and soon I watched ep's back to back. I really started to like the show so much I watched all 4 seasons in a matter of 3 days. I started doing my research, and wanted to know more about each character and their personalities. I fell in love with the music and will proudly admit Daniel Ingram is a musical genius. I later on progressed and started putting MLP music on my phone that I listen to in transit to work.  I happen to spot couple of miniature ponies around my house ( Rarity & Apple Jack) so I asked my daughter if she mind if I just take them to work with me just to liven my area a bit ... she agreed. Later she surprised me by bringing me a Fluttershy mini. I was happy to see Fluttershy and added her with the other two. Over time I thought about just randomly stopping by the store and see if they had the same kind of merch as I did. I was happy to find out they they did indeed have the same kind, and didn't hesitate to pick out my now favorite Pinkie Pie along with Rainbow Dash. I was hooked, and planned on my next trip to the store to see what new ponies that had. I then picked up Lyra and Cheerily. I now carry to work 7 ponies that my mngr seems to be ok with but I try to keep it to a minimum. All in all I'm glad to say that I am now a Proud Brony, and it's great to be apart of the heard. As far as when, I would say fall of 2015 roughly.

Not sure if I posted on this or not yet any ways. Started with me working at McDonald's when the EQ girls movie came out. After a long and ruff day at work I decided to look up the show, mostly to try to sleep.  

2hours later I'm feeling better and finished half of the first season, been  brony ever sense.

• Brohoof 1

I'll post my story.

In about 2011, I thought bronies were weird for liking an little girls show (I didn't respect opinions at that time) and I saw it once. but I wasn't open minded. Then in 2012-2014 , I became neutral and had nothing against bronies and later on I actually started to support them. And finally, in the beginning of 2015 I finally gave the show a try again. I liked it and I regretted watching it the 2 first months. Then I got over it and here I am now in 2016.

Too much typing? Well, I wanted to share my story.  :yay: celestia_by_mihaaaa-d3jxlhr.png

• Brohoof 1

If I can remember correctly, it started with me liking Littlest Pet Shop, but not for very long. I watched 1 episode. Then I transferred over to MLP stuff. I was surprised to see that there were male fans of it! I joined the herd on Nov. 12, 2015!

Username: acknapp18 (I use this for everything I sign up for)

Password: dabears9 (I'm a Chicago Bears fan, and the 9 is Robbie Gould, the kicker)

Favorite Forum: Cloudsdale Colesseum and Sugarcube Corner (I've posted the most in Sugarcube Corner, according to my stats)

Best Pony: Rainbow Dash (I liked Fluttershy first before I found out she was a little too shy for me.) Then I liked Rarity, but not for long. Then I liked Rainbow Dash, and she fits my personality perfectly, because she's athletic and I LOVE sports!

I honestly can't remember, I'm gonna assume around April 2011

Back then, this video started showing up on my Youtube feed, and I finally decided to watch it after a few days

A few hours later, I convinced myself to give the show a try, and the rest is history

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

When Mlp was being introduced, I've notice that some guys were into the show. Now at first I found this to be awkward and strange and basically ignore the show/fandom for about 5 years.Eventually, it wasn't until last December of 2015 when my younger cousin came to visit. She was into Mlp because being a "little girl" and liking a little girl show was normal.So I turned on YouTube for her to watch some clips of Mlp and basically I was being "dragged" in.

The first thing I see is EQG and watching the movie kind of "spark" some interest.The story was good,the characters were likable and the general movie was great. Curious about how the story goes before, I've began to watch the first episode of Mlp. After that it was all of season 1 and so on and forth.Eventually, I began to love the show for its humor, style, story, and characters. So this new year is when I joined and become a brony!

• Brohoof 1