• June
    • July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

Get ready for story time with Prospie. :adorkable: It'll be long. And I may get emotional too because some of the lead up to becoming a fan was really heavy stuff. I promise I'm not including it to seek attention, only because I feel like it's the best way of describing just how much becoming a brony has helped me.

I suppose my story began about 6 years ago. I remember seeing bronies on the internet for the first time when I was in 8th grade or so. I didn't really think much of it (I didn't see the connection between the word "brony" and the sudden explosion of pony profile pics) until I ended up getting a friend's phone number and her SMS signature said something like "I love my brony." I asked her what that meant and she explained to me just what a brony was and that her boyfriend at another school was one. The whole thing seemed weird to me so I kinda just stayed away from it. Something about males and adults watching a My Little Pony cartoon didn't seem right. When I did acknowledge it, it was the occasional trolling YouTube comment... yes I was once one of those people and I regret it so much :( Meanwhile as all this was going on, I was going through a really rough phase. Middle school and the first couple of years of high school were the toughest because my depression and anxiety suddenly manifested themselves and made my emotions a living hell. My best friends all started to change from the good-natured, accepting people they once were and completely dumped me. I made a few friends here and there in high school (like the aforementioned one with the brony boyfriend) but I was such a weird outcast loner who was afraid to get too close to people lest I be harshly judged and rejected. So fast forward to May of 2014. I was doing my usual antisocial escapism online when I came across a Good Mythical Morning video that referenced bronies. So I was like hmm, I really should try watching MLP. Just once. Just to see what in the heck made it explode in the nerdy corners of the internet. I didn't expect to enjoy it at all. Typical pessimistic attitude for me at the time. But alas, one day when I was home alone I took a look on The Hub (it wasn't Discovery Family yet). The usual weekday lineup of MLP was on so I thought "OK, here's my chance." Castle Mane-ia was the episode and... I loved it. One episode turned into two, then five, then I finally went ahead and with the power of YouTube and Dailymotion I watched the whole first season in a couple of weeks. I watched Saberspark's amazing two-part brony documentary on YouTube, started to listen to brony music, and also jumped into reading fanfics with My Little Dashie. Something about the joyful, uplifting vibes of the show (not to mention characters like Twilight and Fluttershy who I found very relatable) just hit me really hard and provided some much needed positivity in my life. I guess discovering the show is something I credit for convincing me to finally do something about my debilitating mental illness and I will NEVER regret it. Things began to get much better. I started making close friends and I was in near constant therapy. Over the first couple of years I didn't really didn't socialize with the rest of the fandom, though, outside of the wonderful world of YouTube comments. :lol: After my high school graduation I worked up the courage to join forums like this one (didn't really stay active in any others) and I have never looked back. Even met a couple of brony friends after moving away to college and now I guess I can say I'm truly a brony rather than just someone who watches the show when no one is around. My conversion to bronyism is complete ;)

So yeah, I can't believe it's been 3 years since my fateful first episode of FiM. Wish I could thank Lauren Faust personally for all this, even though she hasn't been involved with the show for a few years now.

Your story is almost exactly like mine with a few important personal details that differentiate it. As a whole its fundamentally the same. I left out a lot of details in my post but your post pretty much follows the gist of how it went for me and how it all started. 

• Brohoof 1

Register now to remove this ad.
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometime in february. I posted this in my intro thread but a fellow goon drew it and it accurately depicts how I fell in love with the show.

September, my friend was talking about and I was messing with him about it. He told me to watch the first two episodes and that if I wasn't bronified he would give me 50 bucks. Never got the 50 bucks.

Yes, I know, Equestria Daily already did it, but this is a different community, so it'd just be a little something interesting! Self explanatory, what month did you officially become a Brony? I can't

Posted Images

Back in 2011 (around the 14th of February) I saw that one of my old websites started to post more and more mlp pics. I became curious and found out it had been pics for a new show. For some reasons I can't remember, I gave the show a chance...and now I'm a fan for 6 years^^

When did I become a brony I don't remember

But I do know how it happened I was joking to my brother that guys watch a little girls show and are fans of it but not me because its a girl's show I said but later I watched it to make fun of it but I than liked it I know I was rude but now I'm a brony and understand it.

furry forum posted the first few episodes (Bridle Gossip was the new one when I started watching) and did the whole "before you judge, just give it a watch" posting and I really started to enjoy it. Having despised the older gens though ^^; I think Rainbow Dash's tomboy character got my attention, then Nightmare Moon appeared and I really loved her design. So I stuck watching it, but I didn't really become active in the fandom until 2013/14. 

I'm actually not personally a Brony...shocking?!? But wait!! I'm actually the mother of one. A three year old little man called Ethan. While I like the show, I think it displays brilliant morals, its animated well and can easily hold my interest (unlike some cartoons these days) on the other hand my son is obsessed. He takes his toy pony collection to bed EVERY night, meaning that there is little room left for him to actually sleep. I've seen every episode at least 20 times by now.

I'm immensely proud of him for this. I whole heartedly support and encourage it!!!

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

How many female bronies are really out there? Well there is me. That's all I need but whatever, I am a brony and does that mean hardship? Nahhh just sometime assholes who say shit, but I don't care

I think my history with MLP is sorta strange. I remember first watching the show around 2011 and 2012 because of how popular it was. I genuinely liked it, but I didn't participate in the fandom much because I had a few bad experiences with bronies at the time. I lost interest in the show for a few years because I didn't like season 3 that much and I got really busy with college around that time.

I've just recently regained interest in the show after deciding to watch some of the newer episodes, and I thought it would be a good chance to give the brony thing another try. The fandom seems a lot nicer these days. :pinkie::)

Edited by Tiny Hoofs

• 3 weeks later...

I became a brony in February of this year, Had heard of the show before, but had not given much importance. I was much struck his male fandom, and I started researching because that's,

I personally became a brony for a Spanish youtuber called Dayo, It simply caught my attention as someone with his audiovisual criteria looked at a show like that. So, I removed my doubts and I started watching the show, and I fell in love.

PD: You should put the survey in 2017 already :D

I went to browse my oldest FiM drawings and the evidence strongly suggests that it was the year 2012 when I started to watch the show. The oldest pony-drawing I found was from May so I think I could answer that on the poll. I can also actually remember how me and my friend were equally excited about ponies back then, I can even remember what that specific summer felt like. Is this nostalgia?

The first FiM-related thing I saw on the internet was indeed a Finnish YTP. Super classy. :mustache:

• 2 weeks later...

When I started watching was September 2015. I'd been thinking about giving the show a shot for a few months but I was worried about what my parents would think about my watching a little girl's show so I kept putting it off. In the end my curiosity got the better of me and I watched the show in secret. It took me a few episodes to latch onto the show but I'm glad I kept watching through the first few episodes where I was still feeling weird about not being in the target demographic because it's become my absolute favorite show.

It took me a while to finish the first season (because I was watching in secret binge-watching was more difficult than it could have been) but after the month it took me to finish season one I had become an enthusiastic fan.

As for how I started watching, I was one of the people who really didn't like bronies but it had occurred to me that I may have been unfairly assuming that the show was bad just because I thought the bronies were annoying, so I decided to see if the show was any good. Now here I am, having seen every episode to have aired in the U.S. and posting on a brony forum, with a big collection of merch to boot.

• 2 weeks later...

It all began back on June 6, 2014. It felt like yesterday. I once was a hater since 2013 at the time. Then I became curious over a documentary about the brony fandom. So I decided to watch it. Then after that, I've decided to try watching the first two episodes. Then the rest is like any other brony story.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in June 2013, I first heard about the whole "brony" thing from a youtuber named "Kuledud3".

On 10/3/2011 at 3:03 PM, Mint Petal said:

Yes, I know, Equestria Daily already did it, but this is a different community, so it'd just be a little something interesting! Self explanatory, what month did you officially become a Brony? I can't remember exactly when I did, but I'm thinking it was somewhere around May.

I became a brony either the week before or after the season six finale aired. I then only watched mlp until a week before Chistmass. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a funny story of how I got into mlp. I knew it existed thanks to Lzrd Wzrd, but never really thought about it much. One day, I was looking through one o my favorite youtubers, Butterflyidentity's, profile and saw 'Lullaby for a Princess Warriors Cats' I clicked on it and loved the song! As in LOVED it! And then there in my recomended, was Lullaby For a princess. I watched it and loved the ponies. I looked up my litttle pony, and the first episode I saw was Spice up Your Life After that, I watched more and more! I loved it, especially Zecora, and thats how Equestria was made.

Back in June 2013, I watched a vid if Kuledud3 on youtube, who was a minecraft youtuber at the time, he was always joking around about being a brony to a point where you could not tell whether he was being serious or not, I didn't really think much of it until he showed the merchandise he had of it. I quickly did some research and got interested too. That's it basically.

• 2 weeks later...

I started watching FiM about a month ago. I just got to season 4. Classic situation for me. I thought I'd give it two or three episodes because I was curious about the hype around it and wanted to see for myself what the reason was. Before I knew it I was 30 episodes in with no sign of slowing down!

:D

Badges

• 4 weeks later...

How I became a Brony at the time? I don't judge a series just because it looks childish. I still love everything from SWAT Kats to Ed, Edd 'n Eddy.

It was back in, I think 2012 when I heard about the show from a friend. "Ey, bro. You should check out this interesting new show!". The first season was over, and were in the second season, I think about halfway? So I decided to check it out. Downloaded the first season, and started watching.

"Hmm.. Interesting character designs. Drawing is good. Quality animation. Voice acting is damn good. Music is good, too. Yup, will definitely watch this series."

Aaaand that's how I became a Brony. I do not consider myself a Brony anymore, but I won't stop interacting with Bronies because of it.

Edited by Yakamaru
Badges

I heard a lot about it and decided to give it a chance. After all, millions of adults couldn't be wrong. There's isn't much more to it than that, I'm afraid. ^_^

Well i was young and i watched my little portal and then i watched the living toumbstones music and wooden toaster and i started watching a week after slice of live was released.

• 3 weeks later...

So i must come clean. I joined the heard about a year or a little more than a year ago. And I had never seen the show or had any interest in it. but there was just a cuteness to the pictures and I loved the artwork that all the fans did. I fell in love with Fluttershy, Applejack, and Luna but still never watched the show so I didn't get any of the jokes or phrases. but then I said fine I will force myself to watch one episode all the way through no judgments until the end. 3 seasons later..... Oh no I said..... I like My Little Pony. I still keep it a secret from my friends and family but I love it!!! the pureness of the characters the innocence and the fact that it is not like the newer children shows of red drawings and stupid puns. I even have a plushy of Fluttershy, Applejack and Luna. It might just be a phase, but I'm rolling with it for now!!!!!

Edited by countryman
typo
  • Brohoof 2

2015, Before Season 5. I sar down and watched My Little Dashie [SFM] by Ferexes. It made me feel like I never felt before. I watched all the episodes, and still had to wait another month for Season 5 to air.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...