• July
    • August
    • September
    • October
    • November
    • December
  2. 2. What year did you join the herd?

When?

As I said in my introduction: "Since childhood, I love MLP. I had the VHS tapes, the toys, pretty much everything that could be linked directly or indirectly to our ponies!" I grew up and I detached myself from the old gens during a while... But one day, when I was just watching TV, the "10 years old me" saw a sort of trailer about the arrival of the gen4. I was simply absorbed again, exactly like when I was little. :mlp_icwudt:

How? 

I discovered the fandom very late (exactly 7 years after the beginning of the show!) and I joined the herd, the French one. I was going through a difficult period and I was looking for friends with whom to discuss common passions (like Disney / Pixar, Ponies, Harry Potter, etc). The fandom was very important to me at this time because I met my fiancé thanks to MLP. Sadly, Time passed, MLP: FiM stopped and a lot of people gradually detached from the fandom but the friendship, the passion for MLP, sharing and talking about the show miss me. So here I am back!! :love:

• Brohoof 2

Well as for me my mom told me years ago that there was a thing called being a brony. And that meant being a fan of my little pony. Even though I don't watch alot of the episodes I still look at pictures of the ponies.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

A while ago (last year or the year before that), I asked my mom, "What's My Little Pony about?" She replied, "Oh it's just a stupid show for 8 year old girls." Thinking back I assume she was talking about the old generations and not FiM because she didn't know FiM was a thing. I asked her if I should watch and episode to see what it was about and she said to not bother because I would hate it.

A long time went by, and 1-2 weeks ago, I was bored in my bedroom by myself. I went on my computer and watched one episode of MLP FiM, thinking I would hate it. I was wrong. I loved it! Later I found out I had viewed S9E1. After I had heard about generations (G1, G2, G3, and G4), I researched them a bit (same day). I decided to stick with FiM, and watched from S1E1. I LOVED the program.

I heard about these and Poniverse as a whole, and joined the herd. After about a week, I had watched more than 1 and a half seasons, so I decided to slow down and not burn through the entire show. I'm now an active member on these forums.

I want to tell my parents I'm a brony (so I can get merch) but I can't work up the courage to do so. Well, maybe one day I'll be able to. 

Edited by TheNewBrony
  • Brohoof 2

@TheNewBrony I have merged your thread with an already existing one discussing this topic. :sassy: Also for future reference, the section General Discussion is for non-MLP related discussions. :)

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

thats so sweet of you to ask @Splashee  :kindness:

Throughout me and my boyfriend's relationship he'd always listen to brony music, pretty much everyday. I always thought these songs were just underground artists who I had never listened to, so I never questioned him on it, until I did. He was listening to this song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfyeltLH5-E and I was really confused why it kept talking about ponies (even though other songs mentioned ponies, I never picked up on it) and I just thought 'Octavia' was a meaningless name of a girl so I asked him about why its talking about ponies, and he told me everything! :P

MLP, bronies, the fandom, EVERYTHING! Lets just say, I was very surprised that I had been listening to songs about ponies for all of these years with him :laugh:

So I decided to watch the show from episode 1, and what do you know, I love it! :pinkie: Before you know it, I started drawing pony art and now I want to buy a plushies and I'm just getting completely immersed in pony culture :squee: I love it, seeing the ponies happy makes me so happy :grin:

My boyfriends story is completely different, I'll tell it to you now :)

More then 4 years ago he used to be REALLY into rap music, the real classics that were really intense, but one day, rather then just jamming out to the music, he decided to listen, to really listen to the lyrics, and thats when everything changed

The lyrics were absolutely horrifying, talking about the most uncivilized and savage things that he stopped listening to rap completely. He looked at himself in the mirror and simply though, I'm no gangster - I should find something that's more positive and more like me (this is quite big btw, as him liking rap music was 1/2 of his personality)

So what does he do? He gets into the most positive and light hearted show there is, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

I don't think he ever told me he was a brony because he finds nothing weird about it, he's just a fan - and thats all. Now he knows better then to attach his personality to a piece of media and thats why he has zero merch or anything, its just a show he thinks is good

But I LOVE ITT!!!!!!!! :wub::wub:

• Brohoof 1

Lol the poll is a few years outdated haha

I dunno when cuz I watched MLP from the start didn't really particpate in anything though I was a fan of the fan content if that makes sense. And i bought some mlp kinder eggs they were meh.

I guess I joined the forum tho recently and I attended some online cons. 

• Brohoof 1

November 2019. I was basically a gamer my entire life, but I didn't enjoy this hobby anymore for various reasons and I was looking for something else that would give me fulfillment and happiness. :)

• Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Koncova said:

I joined in the very beginning when it started, really what got me into it was the Creepypasta’s and scary games

Thats exactly how it started with me !

Crooked Trees Pinkamena Ask Blog and the " Luna Games " were the first 2 things that started my interest in MLP-FIM.

However, generally interested in the My Little Pony Franchise happened even before G4, a cover for an italian DVD release of " My Little Pony Tales " started it all, because i love the anthro design that G 1.5 has. :pinkie:

• Brohoof 2

I

2 hours ago, Lex Destrosio said:

Thats exactly how it started with me !

Crooked Trees Pinkamena Ask Blog and the " Luna Games " were the first 2 things that started my interest in MLP-FIM.

However, generally interested in the My Little Pony Franchise happened even before G4, a cover for an italian DVD release of " My Little Pony Tales " started it all, because i love the anthro design that G 1.5 has. :pinkie:

Hat off to you for also liking My Little Pony Tales :please: wonder if we ever met before G4, by any chance?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/4/2020 at 5:50 PM, SomeponySparkle said:

Jenny Nicholson's BronyCon 2019 video. Does that make me the newest Brony in the world? :-P

That is so cool! I loved that video!

I became a real Brony the moment I joined this place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think I became a brony in August of 2012 after having heard about it a bunch and wanting to figure out what the fuss was. I remember cringing when I heard the theme but I continued to watch the first episode... then the second, then the third, and so on xD

I quickly became obsessed with the show as I guess the idea of watching this show that wasn't meant for me was just so intriguing. It took me awhile to even figure out that I was called a "brony" and that there were others like me. I remember being really obsessed with Rainbow Dash and wanted to be like her way too much.

It wasn't until I joined this forum a year later that I'd actually become a part of the fandom as before I was just sorta watching the show in secret. 

I started watching My Little Pony in March of 2012. My little sister was watching the show when I walked by the TV. The animation, voices, and personalities peaked my interest. What's crazy is that was only after watching one scene because I had to go somewhere. After coming back home, I instantly began watching the show. After that, I quickly became hooked.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Became a Brony in 2012, I was 25. Smile Song had recently come out and so had the remixes :D Still loving these pony remixes today as much as I did then.

Loved the netty New Sincerity stuff that going on around then and I loved the creativity of the fandom.

Anyway, then I got hard hooked on RP and fell in with rpers that I would talk to day in day out for years. After that split up, a few years later (in Princess Wing-related drama) I never found such a day-to-day community of ponies again :( Anyway, as a parting gift they got me into the freaking CCG pony-cards and I am now obsessed with those and have thousands of the silly things. 

Oooh another amazing song is

• 1 month later...

Okay so.. this is mostly the story of how my brother became a brony.

Basically, he was obsessed with Godzilla (and still is). The first MLP video he's ever seen was the MLP meets Godzilla. He looked around a bit, then the second was the Discord Vs Celestia or something. It was quite interesting. Then he ended up showing me videos of Tirek and WHOA was I intrigued even more, over the fact that they even added a villain so.. violent into a show for children.
And then he grew an obsession with Discord, watched the Flutter On episode, ended up watching Bride of Discord, and lo behold, he introduced me to Discord, helped me find out there were more seasons than I had originally thought, and introduced me to Fluttercord. It was a wild year, I'll admit. This was all in 2014/2015 I do believe..?

I had watched a couple episodes before then, but jeez.. if it wasn't for my brother, Discord, and my dumb brain for attaching itself to villains, I honestly wouldn't even be here. I'm really hoping to watch some of it again with my brother.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...