Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What could Hasbro do to seriously anger the Brony fandom?

CosmicHooves

nothing i think would anger the fandom more than if they tried copy right the word brony if they put a stop to all conventions  :eww:

Edited by Strudle

Lol. So much G3 hate. I hope that Hasbro does make G5 more like G3. At least in terms of the toys, because the G3 toys were great, and had a lot more variety.

What would be disappointing to me (some of the things mentioned in this topic would just make me laugh, hard) are just a few things...

- Not having any cartoon whatsoever (like G2)

- Going the route of G3.5 and rereleasing only a select few ponies, which honestly didn't look appealing to begin with. (Kind of sad what happened there, with G3 being so good about this)

What would anger me, though?

Tossing aside the franchise's true audience in favor of Bronies/becoming 'gender-neutral'. Going 'gender-neutral' helps no one and nothing. If it does anything, it furthers the rigidity of gender roles by strengthening what is gender-neutral and what is not. If men can not like something that is 'girly', it is no problem but their own. Magically moving the line further away from what is considered 'girly', and those who enjoy it claiming they're breaking so many gender-roles is going no where.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 1

How about if they made an episode with barely any plot, nothing but musical numbers (half of which weren't that great anyway), an ending that feels like a completely different episode, and just make it an overall over glorified toy commercial, wait a minute...

How about if they made an episode with barely any plot, nothing but musical numbers (half of which weren't that great anyway), an ending that feels like a completely different episode, and just make it an overall over glorified toy commercial, wait a minute...

Well MLP is primarily a toy series. That's the way it always has been, and it always will be.

Well MLP is primarily a toy series. That's the way it always has been, and it always will be.

Yeah but the writers clearly write it as a TV show first toy commercial second (well maybe not counting some season 4 episodes), the writing is so good that half I don't even think I am watching a toy ad. Magical mystery cure however was a HUGE exceptions (in the sense it was quite clear that Hasbro execs had full power over the episode). 

Introducing a new canon love interest for a main character and developing that relationship. Shipping is a huge part of the fandom, and taking that away from us would cause a shitstorm the likes of which have never been seen before on this Earth.

One of the Hasbro executives openly expressing anti-homosexuality sentiment, and saying that all of the characters of the show are canonically straight.

More characters becoming alicorns. Twilight's ascension was the culmination of three season's worth of build-up and character development, and represents how she has become the most powerful magic-user in the world. Other characters don't have that.

Edited by Manman20x6
  • Brohoof 1

1. If Spike and Rarity's relationship was flanderised into the "Relationship" between Nami and Sanji from One Piece.

2. If Rainbow Dash was killed off.

3. If Rainbow Dash was permanently turned to the dark side by a corrupting spell or artefact that forces her to do bad things and obey orders or feel pain, meaning it technically is her doing these things just to make the pain stop.

4. If Derpy Hooves was killed off.

5. If a "Don't do drugs" episode was made.

6. If a male character actually got a personality instead of being a one-note character, but had a personality that bronies hated, and Hasbro used this as an excuse to never again do deep male characters.

7. If Pinkie Pie killed someone.

8. If Celestia truly was evil all along.

9. If humans showed up and the show divebombed into anti-human propaganda.

10. If The Conversion Bureau happened.

• Brohoof 4

LOVE INTERESTS that aren't there for pure comedic purposes (Such as that Rarity / Blueblood one in the first season )

I can't be alone here. You know if Hasbro had one of the ponies get into a relationship, no matter WHAT the case.

I think I agree way too much! I really liked the first season because nearly no mention of crushes or whatnot came into it, except for Spike and Rarity but that's obviously acceptable ;) That's why there are a few episodes I don't like in season 2 onwards where the main focus is on relationships or whatnot (e.g. hearts and hooves day: That was okay because it was comedic but you know what I mean?) So if for instance Twilight got with Flash I'd just feel pretty glum about it. Don't ask me what my problem is with the ponies or even Equestria girls and relationships but I just don't like it.

G4 has been a tremendous success, more so than they every expected, and I think G4 will continue for a few more years, but what we all know, and what Hasbro will eventually realize, (if they haven't already) it will be time to wind things down at some point. But at what point do you end it?

While it is profitable, there doesn't seem much point in ending it, unless they completely run out of plot ideas so that they ran the risk of producing such bad episodes that they'd actively harm toy sales. The production of the series is outsourced (to DHX media), so presumably uses very few human resources within Hasbro, so it can't have a big opportunity cost.

I think the next logical step would be more spin-offs in the tradition of Equestria Girls - and by that, I don't mean set in the same world as Equestria Girls, but other spin-offs that overlap with Friendship is Magic in only small ways. For example, a series set in Manehatten and revolving around Babs Seed. Or a series about Trixie's travelling circus. (No, she doesn't have a travelling circus right now, but she could acquire one.)

OK, not all of MLP's current audience might like all of these spin-offs (as many didn't like Equestria Girls), but provided they keep the branding relatively separate, I think most people would accept them as different things that are designed to appeal to different people, but set in the same universe.

Edited by Vital Spark

but my guess the best way to offend the fandom is if they make us seem like a bunch of fat middle aged men by refrencing us in there toy production or a reference in the show

That's how CollegeHumor portrays bronies. Let's hope Hasbro doesn't portray bronies similarly.

Hmmm ... What could they do ...

- Let the show end and entirely abandon the ponies for Equestria Girls.

- Let there be no G5 of ponies, but a G5 of Equestria Girls "2.0" instead.

- Cancel the show with no plans for a G5 whatsoever.

- Hire Paul Tibbitt to do Meghan McCarthy's job.

- Stop giving out licenses to other companies, so there can only be original Hasbro products for the fans.

... and so on.

• Brohoof 2

Hmmm ... What could they do ...

- Let the show end and entirely abandon the ponies for Equestria Girls.

- Let there be no G5 of ponies, but a G5 of Equestria Girls "2.0" instead.

- Cancel the show with no plans for a G5 whatsoever.

- Hire Paul Tibbitt to do Meghan McCarthy's job.

- Stop giving out licenses to other companies, so there can only be original Hasbro products for the fans.

... and so on.

Yeah, I certainly would not like that.

It's called My Little PONY for a reason.

Simple if they did the opposite of every thing they are doing then I think alot of bronies would leave the fandom. I like the way Hasbro is going right now. Its getting more serious. I just don't want it to turn in to monochrome, sad, ponies fighting. No pressure Hasbro. Just don't screw up!

LOVE INTERESTS that aren't there for pure comedic purposes (Such as that Rarity / Blueblood one in the first season)

They couldn't for the mane 6, nor the CMCs.

But taking Big Mac and Cheerilee further would probably not be strongly opposed - in fact, a lot of people might like to see it happen.

Introducing a romantic interest for a character that almost nobody tends to think of as waifu material, such as Granny Smith or Mayor Mare, would probably be relatively safe too.

• Brohoof 1

A few things, actually:

1.  Cancel the series without warning or a proper finale.

2.  Everypony gets a coltfriend out of nowhere for absolutely no reason.

3.  The characters are flanderized to the extreme (ex.  Rarity becomes a super-feminine damsel in distress and stereotypical girly girl).

4.  Flash Sentry marries Twilight.  And, to make matters worse, he's given even LESS personality than he had in either movie.

5.  The show completely abandons Lauren Faust's vision and devolves into a ridiculously girly, pink-laced world with absolutely no conflict whatsoever, constant references to pop culture and boy bands, and characters whose only goal in life is to make cupcakes and kiss cute bo--  Excuse me for a minute, I need to throw up  :eww: 

6.  It is revealed that Princess Celestia is Twilight's real mother........even though that messes up a whole host of continuity and canon.

7.  Hasbro releases a soundtrack of MLP: FIM songs.......all sung by Justin Bieber.  :angry: 

8.  All the background characters are given canon personalities.....and Vinyl Scratch hates dubstep!  BLASPHEMY!!!  

9.  Hasbro claims that they invented the term "Brony" and therefore own it.   :okiedokielokie: 

• Brohoof 1

6.  It is revealed that Princess Celestia is Twilight's real mother........even though that messes up a whole host of continuity and canon.

Not only her real mother, but the only mother she's ever known, completely retconning the very existence of Twilight Velvet.