Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general media Why so many Sonic Fans? o.o

FirstPonySpectre

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying you're not allowed to like Sonic or whatever fandom you're a part of. I'm simply curious WHY so many people are still fans of Sonic. No offense intended! Again, You can be a fan of whatever you want. I don't care. I'm just CURIOUS why people are fans of Sonic. 

Alright, so. As most people know most of the newer Sonic games have been... well.... not up to "speed" with the older ones. (GET IT?! SPEED?! :3 ... I'll stop now..). Don't get me wrong, I love the 2D Sonic games from way back when, and I'm even a fan of Sonic Colors. But I think most people can agree most sonic games that have come out since they made the switch into 3D have been... not very good... or just really mediocre and never really brought anything new.

Basically what I'm asking is WHY people still stick with being Sonic fans even after games like Sonic 06, or that one where he turned into a werewolf, or that hover-board one.? (Werehog, whatever.) I just don't understand it. 

tumblr_mhd0bzZWCd1r06m1wo1_250.gifGOTTA GO FAST

Found this gif while searching for a suitable Sonic image for this thread. It'll suffice. 

Edited by FirstPonySpectre
  • Brohoof 2

DISCLAIMER: I'm not saying you're not allowed to like Sonic or whatever fandom you're a part of. I'm simply curious WHY so many people are still fans of Sonic. No offense intended! Again, You can be a fan of whatever you want. I don't care. I'm just CURIOUS why people are fans of Sonic. 

Alright, so. As most people know most of the newer Sonic games have been... well.... not up to "speed" with the older ones. (GET IT?! SPEED?! :3 ... I'll stop now..). Don't get me wrong, I love the 2D Sonic games from way back when, and I'm even a fan of Sonic Colors. But I think most people can agree most sonic games that have come out since they made the switch into 3D have been... not very good... or just really mediocre and never really brought anything new.

Basically what I'm asking is WHY people still stick with being Sonic fans even after games like Sonic 06, or that one where he turned into a werewolf, or that hover-board one.? (Werehog, whatever.) I just don't understand it. 

tumblr_mhd0bzZWCd1r06m1wo1_250.gifGOTTA GO FAST

Found this gif while searching for a suitable Sonic image for this thread. It'll suffice. 

Because Sega delivered Sonic Colors and Sonic Generations, both of which turned out to be great, showing that Sonic still has life in it, it's just that Sega is kind of in a rut when it comes to the blue blur(I'd personally include Lost World as I thought that game was also pretty good)

In all, there's still a lot to like about Sonic despite duds like '06 and Sonic Boom(especially since the show itself is pretty damn good)

• Brohoof 1

It's just a franchise that has grown in popularity.

For me, it was the characters and the story that got me into Sonic.

• Brohoof 1

Firstly, Sonic 06 did not suck.

But, I don't really know. There's a lot of people here who aren't really big fans of the show itself. It's just a good place to be. It may be similar there. But, for now, I generally avoid sonic fans for whatever reason. It just... unnerves me. I don't really know why.

I stopped liking sonic after... Sonic Adventure 2 battle on the gamecube and the sonic advance series. The classic sonic games were flatout amazing and the flair from those games for me died off during the mid to late 00s 

Because there's still good games coming out in the franchise?

Just because Sonic 06 and Sonic Boom (the game at least) weren't the best (Sonic 06 was fun though I give them that) doesn't mean great games like Sonic Generations and Sonic Colors don't exist. Hell even the daytime levels in Unleashed were nice and I have heard decent things with Lost World.

I'll say though, the 2D games were garbage to me tbh, the 3D games are actually fun. If more games like Generations/Colors were produced people would probably be less harsh on the blue guy. Also the characters in Sonic are awesome, and are miles better than any character from Mario. But then again I defend Sonic like crazy since there are way worse shit out there than a blue hedgehog who has some good and bad games. Sonic Riders is fun too, fight me 1v1 m8.

I imagine it's a franchise they grew up with and came to love. 

Well I can understand that but... There are definitely NEW fans coming into the fandom. I'm going to assume most of them are young kids. I hope they are. Otherwise there are countless amounts of 30+ year old men who post there Sonic fan "art" and OC's to deviantArt on a bi-hourly basis. 

Don't get me wrong, I love looking at some of the BAD Sonic art on there. It's just... So great. 

post-31233-0-68694900-1420341750_thumb.jpg

This is my favorite one I've ever seen. 

Anyway I digress...

What I'm saying is how come new people are getting into the fan-base when not many of the games are all that great? I mean, I suppose younger audiences could find more enjoyment in the games than someone older and more critical as I. But... there are so many! 

Doyouevenliftbro-1.jpg

But to what you said before, I know there are still good sonic games. I mean, I've never played Generations so I can't speak for that one. But I did like Colors. 

yes i do bro, i'll fite u

Generations is pretty good tbh, I'd probably say it's the best in the series 

Boom however, lmao

First off, I'll just say that I'm neutral to Sonic. I used to dislike him quite a bit, but over the years I realised that he isn't bad as what I thought.

Secondly, I believe the reason we still have Sonic fans is because of the characters and the gameplay. With the latter, almost each new game has a new gimmick for players to experiment with, which also means that Sonic is unlike any other platformer. Not to mention that these gimmicks make every new game more refreshing.

I've only played Sonic Heroes and Sonic Unleashed, so I can't say the good and the bad of this franchise. However, I can tell you that not all modern games are bad. Yeah, games like Sonic 2006 are bad, but even the fans are aware of this. Even if the fans know that games like Sonic 2006 aren't the greatest, they can still see at least some of the strengths of said game. Not to mention that not all of the classic games are good. Heck, I remember reading an essay about Modern Sonic on DeviantArt. While it's rather long, it has given me a new outlook on both the modern games and the franchise as a whole.

Also, do keep in mind that not every fan would eat anything up. It kind of dick-ish for you to say that all of them are manchildren who create silly "fancharacters". That would be like if I said all bronies are basement dwellers who clop all day. There are still some gems in the Sonic fandom, or any fandom for that matter.

There are several reasons that Sonic still has a huge fanbase. Not everyone, including myself, thinks the series was better in its early days. Sonic 06 is a one in a million fluke that was legit broken but even that one had some great ideas that we love. For all intents and purposes it was what Adventure 3 would have been. I'm not even a super fan of the Adventure games like some fans and I would have loved the shit out of 06 if it weren't for the fact that the game went unfinished.

Believe it or not there are actually people who like the Werehog parts of Sonic Unleashed. There were two different versions of the game so we had our choices.

On a personal level I've actually always liked the new games in the series far more than the originals. The originals are boring after a couple playthroughs and don't even have anything worth remembering in them.

Then we gotta get into other mediums of the Sonic franchise. The cartoons? Hell yes. The comics? Double hell yes. The cartoons typically give Sonic and other characters far more personality than the games ever did, even if it's mostly a cartoony personality. The comics are where it's at for your down-and-dirty stories though. If there was a game with the level of story in the comics it'd probably be one of the best games in the series.

And last but not least there's the gigantic collection of fan content. From comics to animations, games to artwork, the community creates some amazing works. Stuff that puts the MLP fanbase to shame.

The Sonic fanbase is larger than ever in spite of the vocal minority that thinks the Hedgehog should have stopped completely after the Adventure games. We will live on. ;)

• Brohoof 1

Boom however, lmao

lol boom... I remember my friend got Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric for me as a joke. It was.... so bad... 

Like, have you ever been doing something... and it was so boring you wanted to go do something else... but you kept doing the boring thing because you thought something exciting might happen? That's what that game was for me. Like, every fifteen minutes or less I'd encounter a glitch or something that... well... was just hilarious. One time Amy's eyes just.. turned pure black for no reason. It was kinda creepy. ;-;

Also, do keep in mind that not every fan would eat anything up. It kind of dick-ish for you to say that all of them are manchildren who create silly "fancharacters". That would be like if I said all bronies are basement dwellers who clop all day. There are still some gems in the Sonic fandom, or any fandom for that matter.

To be honest I never explicitly said that I think all Sonic fans are "manchildren". Because I don't. What I said was that there are a lot of fan characters that I've seen drawn online. Whether it's on deviantArt, Tumblr, or what ever. I, in fact, know most of them are just jokes and not meant to be taken seriously. I was just trying to say that if most of the fan-base was the fan-base of the original sonic games then every one of the sonic OC things would be made by people who are 30+ or so. In fact, I was technically arguing AGAINST the fan-base consisting of only "manchildren". 

There are definitely NEW fans coming into the fandom. I'm going to assume most of them are young kids. Otherwise there are countless amounts of 30+ year old men who post there Sonic fan "art" and OC's to deviantArt on a bi-hourly basis. 

See, arguing against them being "manchildren". If my phrasing made it come off as I was arguing that they ARE all "manchildren" then I apologizing for wording it poorly. 

Also I used the wrong kind of "THERE". I should've said "THEIR". My bad. 

The number one thing to remember is that not all people agree on what parts of the franchise are good and which are bad. Not even talking about just myself but the games and cartoons that are heralded as the worst gaming has to offer by some are also considered some of the best by others.

Opinions and all that but some of us have thicker skin when a game or series we love has a few minor bugs. Skyrim has a million and one bugs but it's still considered one of the best games of all time. ;)

The Sonic franchise is just too vast to really be brought down by a few bad games. Even though the games are the centerpiece of the franchise, Sonic has expanded to encompass so much other media like TV and comics. I don't play the games that often, but I enjoy much of the other media for its amazing art, wide variety and development of character, and the strength of the storylines. The franchise remains engaging even despite the black eyes it may have gotten throughout the last decade.

And then there's the fanbase itself. Definitely it is similar in character but not entirely similar to the Brony fandom and has achieved infamy for widespread poor recolors and terrible Mary Sue-like OCs. However, like the Bronies, there are many amazing, talented, creative people among the fanbase who enjoy the Sonic franchise enough to turn out a high quality of artwork and create believeable and likable OCs. You just have to find them.

Edited by Wind Chaser

There's another niche part of the franchise that a few of us with skewed senses of humor love: The exaggerated hate jokes. There are a lot of jokes that get thrown around about the franchise or the fans that it can get downright hilarious.

Have you ever heard of Sonic Shorts? It's a fan animation collaboration and it's like a Comedy Central Roast in there. They make fun of every stereotype in the fanbase while also having great knowledge of the franchise in general (something a lot of haters don't have). Granted these are from actual fans and not haters but sometimes you can't tell the difference. :lol:

Last Sonic game that I played and enjoyed was Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed.

Wait, we're talking about adventure games? Well, the last Sonic adventure game I played and liked was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. I have Sonic Generations sitting on my shelf, completely untouched. :P

I played Sonic '06, tried to enjoy it but I couldn't. There were certain parts that I liked but my experience was really bogged down by technical problems in the game.

Regarding the Sonic fandom? They have ups and downs, like any other fandom.

There's another niche part of the franchise that a few of us with skewed senses of humor love: The exaggerated hate jokes. There are a lot of jokes that get thrown around about the franchise or the fans that it can get downright hilarious.

Have you ever heard of Sonic Shorts? It's a fan animation collaboration and it's like a Comedy Central Roast in there. They make fun of every stereotype in the fanbase while also having great knowledge of the franchise in general (something a lot of haters don't have). Granted these are from actual fans and not haters but sometimes you can't tell the difference. :lol:

Aw man, I miss those videos. They always made me laugh and chuckle, chuckle and laugh. :P

• Brohoof 1

Last Sonic game that I played and enjoyed was Sonic All-Star Racing Transformed.

Wait, we're talking about adventure games? Well, the last Sonic adventure game I played and liked was Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. I have Sonic Generations sitting on my shelf, completely untouched. :P

I played Sonic '06, tried to enjoy it but I couldn't. There were certain parts that I liked but my experience was really bogged down by technical problems in the game.

Regarding the Sonic fandom? They have ups and downs, like any other fandom.

Aw man, I miss those videos. They always made me laugh and chuckle, chuckle and laugh. :P

It's too bad it ended. Supposedly they are gonna continue the shorts but expand it into all of Sega territory but as of yet there isn't any new episodes. I sadface whenever I think of what could be.

I wish we'd get another Knuckles Briefs too but that's very unlikely. :P

• Brohoof 1

It's too bad it ended. Supposedly they are gonna continue the shorts but expand it into all of Sega territory but as of yet there isn't any new episodes. I sadface whenever I think of what could be.

I wish we'd get another Knuckles Briefs too but that's very unlikely. :P

A person can always dream and wish upon a star that it could happen.

Of course if wishing upon a star brings back animated shorts on the internet.. I wonder what else it could do... hmmm... :P

I'm not a huge Sonic fan but Sonic is one of my childhood icons. When I was 3 years old my dentist had a Sega Genesis with Sonic 2 and I would play that when waiting to be picked up. I think it's because he's just a cool character and super fast. However NintendoFanFTW states speed is the only defining trait of Sonic, otherwise he's just an annoying blue smart ass. I think what keeps newer games selling well is because it's a character we all know and they always do a different theme. Back then there was a battle between Sonic and Mario but I prefer Mario because even though he's slower he's more likable.

I'm not a huge Sonic fan but Sonic is one of my childhood icons. When I was 3 years old my dentist had a Sega Genesis with Sonic 2 and I would play that when waiting to be picked up. I think it's because he's just a cool character and super fast. However NintendoFanFTW states speed is the only defining trait of Sonic, otherwise he's just an annoying blue smart ass. I think what keeps newer games selling well is because it's a character we all know and they always do a different theme. Back then there was a battle between Sonic and Mario but I prefer Mario because even though he's slower he's more likable.

Depends on where you look. He quite literally has the worst personality in the games but he's got amazing development in the comics.

My childhood. Also multiple character games which I enjoyed the most: Sonic 3 &  Knuckles, Adventure, Adventure 2, Heroes, Rush, Rush Adventure,  Generations (Though technically only Sonic), and latest being the Boom games.