Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is a male Alicorn possible in the future?

Green Precision

(I searched, and found no topic on the matter, so dont sue me please) 

So, genetically speaking, if Princess Cadence and Shining armor went ahead and "scootaleepooped" (A+ for getting the reference) and had a child, there is a fair chance of it being male, and a fair chance of it being an alicorn at birth correct? 

Just a topic i was thinking about, correct me if i am wrong. 

• Brohoof 1

In my headcanon, there are two types of Alicorns- those who are born (Celestia and Luna) alicorns, and those who are made that way (Cadence and Twilight).I don't know if a "made" alicorn would produce alicorn offspring if their changes aren't genetic.  But could there otherwise be a male alicorn, from the same process that Twilight and Cadence went through?  I don't see why not.

Either way, this is all 100% speculation and I doubt we'll ever get an answer.

• Brohoof 4

I don't think that it's impossible. It could go in two ways the way I see.

1) Celestia is different from Cadance and Twilight and is inherently different and could produce an offspring that is born alicorn. (Luna too)

2) Celestia was born from one of the three tribes and later became an alicorn. So... She could produce a foal that is from one of the three tribes, like normal.

However, what if the "ascension" actually changes their biology? And anything could be possible. Or even yet... A male pony could become an alicorn like Twilight and Cadance.

I doubt this will be explored in the show, though.

AFAIK, the show writers haven't said anything one way or another, nor have the comics. 

It seems to me that Cadence was originally a Pegasus, thus the genetics would be Unicorn & Pegasus.  Does the change to Alicorn cause a genetic change? IDK.  Even if it does, that is only 1 parent & the Cake twins show that the parents don't always have foals of the same type.  IMO, the writers could justify any kind of pony.

But, is Cadence even going to have foals?  CAN alicorns have foals?  Even if they can, will the writers want to make T an aunt? Or are there already too many subplots?

• Brohoof 1

Assuming Cadence and Twilight are biologically different from Celestia and Luna, it doesn't seem likely that either of them could give birth to a born alicorn. Not impossible, but also not likely. 

This does raise a question though, if Cadence and Twilight aren't immortal (which the writers have outright said that at least Twilight isn't), and they could have alicorn offspring, would those children be immortal? Could either of them essentially create another Celestia or Luna? It may not be likely, but it's interesting to think about.

As for a male alicorn, there's no reason given within the show that it wouldn't happen, but I wouldn't hold your breath. The show is very female-centered, so I doubt they'd have a male alicorn hogging the spotlight. Right now, at best I could potentially imagine alicorn Shining Armor being a thing some day. 

• Brohoof 1

Oh brony...

I don't think a male Alicorn will be possible in the future. Not because its not wanted or because its not genetically possible, its because of shippers. A male alicorn will immediately either receive love and be shipped or will be utterly hated like Flash Sentry. Im arguing from a weak point here, but generally when male characters are introduced to a show where female characters are prominent, things get ugly.

Also this male alicorn would have to be very well done (Personality-wise and history-wise) in order to receive approval from the general brony population. As long as this male alicorn isn't being force romanced by either the writers or a large group of brony shippers, it could possibly work. But there will be hate.

Now if we are talking about a 5th female alicorn, everything is fine and dandy on that battlefront. I can see almost no opposition there. 

I think that a male alicorn is possible, but I think it goes in two ways:

1. Natrual Alicorn (Celestia and Luna) theory: A species cannot survive without having two genders regardless of method of reproduction either dioecious (male individual and female individual) or monoecious (one individual with both genders), and since we see that the ponies are dioecious we can assume that the same thing goes for alicorns, so in order for Celestia and Luna to exist, the mother has to reproduce with the help of the father. It would be consistent if two alicorns of different genders reproduce and then be able to continue the species. 

2. Artificial Alicorn (Cadence and Twilight) theory: It depends on the ponie's character and status. Cadence moved up towards the royalty ladder, so she became an alicorn as a result. So far we only have female unicorns being the most likely to lead the status since unicorns are most intelligent and therefore be able to know the workings of government which is an essential skill to become a princess. In my opinion, it would be rare for a male pony to become an alicorn because Equestria is looking for those who are emotionally strong, not someone who is egotistical and then all of the sudden get jealous of the other pony with a stronger status. In one of the episodes of My Little Pony, King Sombra was king of the Crystal Empire, but he cannot become an alicorn because he established himself as a dictator, not a true king. 

Also this male alicorn would have to be very well done (Personality-wise and history-wise) in order to receive approval from the general brony population. As long as this male alicorn isn't being force romanced by either the writers or a large group of brony shippers, it could possibly work. But there will be hate.

Now if we are talking about a 5th female alicorn, everything is fine and dandy on that battlefront. I can see almost no opposition there. 

post-761-0-67242300-1353491064.jpg

She (and Shining Armor) came out of nowhere. By the way, so did Maud Pie. Trenderhoof, etc...

If they make a male alicorn, I'll start on the paperwork to make whomever is responsible to be worshiped as a god savior of the cartoon because I'll take it over Dislestia. Any. Day.

Who's Trender Hoof again? Nevermind, I looked it up.

I think that a male alicorn is possible, but I think it goes in two ways:

1. Natrual Alicorn (Celestia and Luna) theory: A species cannot survive without having two genders regardless of method of reproduction either dioecious (male individual and female individual) or monoecious (one individual with both genders), and since we see that the ponies are dioecious we can assume that the same thing goes for alicorns, so in order for Celestia and Luna to exist, the mother has to reproduce with the help of the father. It would be consistent if two alicorns of different genders reproduce and then be able to continue the species. 

2. Artificial Alicorn (Cadence and Twilight) theory: It depends on the ponie's character and status. Cadence moved up towards the royalty ladder, so she became an alicorn as a result. So far we only have female unicorns being the most likely to lead the status since unicorns are most intelligent and therefore be able to know the workings of government which is an essential skill to become a princess. In my opinion, it would be rare for a male pony to become an alicorn because Equestria is looking for those who are emotionally strong, not someone who is egotistical and then all of the sudden get jealous of the other pony with a stronger status. In one of the episodes of My Little Pony, King Sombra was king of the Crystal Empire, but he cannot become an alicorn because he established himself as a dictator, not a true king. 

Head-canon here but I always believed that Natural Alicorns either had a really low fertility/birthing rate or were naturally sterile. So while I believe Cadence and Twilight(I hope it never happens but...) could have children they would either be normal ponies or natural Alicorns(and thus the low-fertility/birthing rate).

Kind of a natural 'Harmony'/balance of power so to speak while also allowing the writers to explain why natural Alicorns haven't become the dominant species already. lol

• Brohoof 1

Who's Trender Hoof again? Nevermind, I looked it up.

Head-canon here but I always believed that Natural Alicorns either had a really low fertility/birthing rate or were naturally sterile. So while I believe Cadence and Twilight(I hope it never happens but...) could have children they would either be normal ponies or natural Alicorns(and thus the low-fertility/birthing rate).

Kind of a natural 'Harmony'/balance of power so to speak while also allowing the writers to explain why natural Alicorns haven't become the dominant species already. lol

You actually brought up a good point here. Have you heard of a zorse (zebra-horse hybrid)? In order for an organism to be a species, they have to find a way to keep the species alive in high populations. So with eh zorse as an experimental example, they are not a complete species because they cannot reproduce to keep that kind alive. Alicorns may have a low fertility/birthing rate due to the rarity of male alicorns in the populations. However, if there were a high number of male alicorns balancing out the female alicorns, we would have a higher population, so the alicorn is still considered a species due to the rare number, therefore they're capable of reproducing. I think another reason why there's a rare number of alicorns is also due to their wisdom. I would be referencing the OC trouble with alicorns about overpowering them. If you have a thousand alicorns in one room and they have a war with each other, that can cause an abnormally extensive amount of chaos, destroying the entire universe in the process. 

Hello !

As your thread deals with an aspect of the lore of the show, this topic has been moved to Show Discussion where it should receive better attention. In the future please keep in mind the proper placement of your topics. In cases like this, things dealing with the fandom will go to Sugarcube Corner while any topic dealing with the lore of the show (outside of Equestria Girls and the comics) goes here in Show Discussion.

Also, thank you for using the search function. :)

Thank you and have a good day. :)

Well this can work two ways for me. And really I don't think it's entirely impossible :)

Either as already stated here in other posts, Cadence and Shining Armor have a baby that comes out being a male alicorn. That is pretty highly probable in my opinion :)

Then there's the other possibility. It's never been stated in the show that the princesses are the only alicorns in existence. There could be an alicorn prince somewhere that may make an appearance during a big event in the future :o This scenario is definitely less likely to occur than the first one, but hey it's possible! :P But then again why didn't Tirek take his magic?....eh he could be from beyond Equestria :P

The possibility of a male character ascending to alicorn status just isn't plausible to me :( That would require us really getting to know this character and see him develop like Twilight. As we've seen, male characters don't get an awful lot of focus in the show, so for just a new character to emerge capable of ascension would be extremely unlikely and farfetched :(

Edited by Pink Mist

I don't see any reason why it would be impossible for a male alicorn to exist. Either through the process of becoming one or through being born as one, if that's even possible (we do not know whether or not Celestia and Luna were born as alicorns).

This is a topic that lends itself particularly well to headcanons, and for that reason it's best IMHO if the show never introduces a male Alicorn, or outright states that such a specimen is a biological impossibility. There are plenty of OCs out there who are male Alicorns, but unless the truth of the matter is revealed or stated, it's neither possible or impossible, so my response to the OP is Schrodinger's Cat, even though that sounds like a major cop out, and kind of is. But, the fact of the matter is, until we see male Alicorns, there's no evidence to support that they exist, but at the same time, it has never been explicitly stated that Alicorns have to be female, so it's possible that it's merely coincidence that the four that reside over Equestria are all mares. My personal headcanon is that stallions can't be Alicorns, but there aren't any cold hard facts to back it up.

a Male Alicorn could be possible if Celestia grants the wing or horn or both to one who is worthy of godly powers..... though there could be something keeping the male from having these powers since we have seen two Princes that aren't Alicorn but now that I think of it the princes don't really have a special role compared to the princesses. Princess of the Sun, the Moon, Love, and Friendship

so now that your done reading me rambling to myself I do believe a male Alicorn are possible they just need to discover the role worthy of making them an Alicorn

also I don't believe in an Alicorn race the Alicorn are the godly figures that look after Equestria so I'm pretty sure you can't be born into one, but hey what do I know.... only time will tell.......

They probably do but given the female to male ratio of equestria they are probably exceptionally rare. A male alicorn on the level of even twilight would be a singular being, one approaching the level of Luna or Celestia would insanely powerful.

The real problem for a male alicorn is not that they exist but where is their place in the world? If we use the princesses as a rough guide. An alicorn would be regarded as royalty and reign over one aspect of magic with the sun, moon, love and friendship taken already. On top of this, he would also be a true prince unlike Blueblood and possibly related to the sisters in some way (lost brother, adopted (cadence) or student (Twilight). So our male alicorn has some pretty big hoof prints to fill in while at the same time not make a train wreck of established lore.

The simplest way they could probably add one in would be to make said alicorn the ruler of a neighbouring nation. After all, Equestria is only one continent of the planet and Saddle Arabia and the Frozen North are different lands that are allied to Canterlot.

Edited by Malinter

A male alicorn will immediately either receive love and be shipped or will be utterly hated like Flash Sentry. [...] Also this male alicorn would have to be very well done (Personality-wise and history-wise) in order to receive approval from the general brony population.

But if it's a baby alicorn (son of Cadence and Shining Armor) then it doesn't really need any backstory. And if it's a baby, there would be minimal shipping. (Knowing how people can be, I said minimal rather than no.)

Whatsmore, it might be a crystal alicorn!

They could have some good comic relief with such a character. Think of Pumpkin Cake and her occasional accidental outbursts of magical power, but then ramp that up tenfold because alicorn magic.

I think it could happen but given the well,  it might

be it female given the genetics....

Seems female pony ratio of birth is a high skill

than a male sadly!  Yet if does happen,  and to

have a boy they might need to have more than

one kid for us to get a male!   I would to see a

peek of a next gen and a male Alicorn would

add in some more depth to the whole story!

From what's been seen, I'd venture to say it's next to impossible. For the simple meta reason, Hasbro only wants to market the show to girls, so of course all of MLP's best stuff is female.

Then you have to go into MLP's relative lack of strong male characters, and the real reason why there's four alicorns. Interestingly enough, Cadance was originally supposed to be a unicorn, leaving Celestia and Luna the only alicorns, however Hasbro went the toy bait route and put wings on her, because wings sell. However, they didn't do that with Shining Armor, despite the fact that they are supposedly equal in authority. In addition, consider the amount of attention Cadance gets from the show in comparison to Shining Armor. Thus, you have reason enough why Hasbro will likely never do it.

The only characters I could have plausibly seen as male alicorns would have been Starswirl the Bearded and Shining Armor. Starswirl the Bearded had tried and failed to ascend to a higher form, whereas Shining Armor demonstrates qualities that would be becoming of an alicorn and a prince, however Hasbro dropped the ball with him, thus he's merely seen as an accessory to Cadance and Twilight.

In addition, aesthetically a male alicorn just wouldn't look right, because their bodies are already naturally larger than females, thus the wings would cause an imbalance to the design.

Priority number one for the show should be improving the male characters it already has, as in to stop using Spike and Big Mac as gags, stop treating Shining Armor like a non-presence or the guy whose flank has to be saved time and time again, and get rid of Snips and Snails. Ideally, we'd like to see a world in which males and females can equally achieve as much. Though it really isn't MLP's domain, I'd like to see them treat their characters more fairly.

Edited by Wind Chaser
  • Brohoof 1

To all  the people saying "oh, Hasbro targets this at girls so there will  never be a male alicorn", I say HAH! Hasbro has recognized the bronies so they would make it happen eventually. Also some people are worried about what this prince would do seeing as almost everything is taken care of so (in my opinion these are the 2 ways most people would choose)there are 2 options leave him a powerless baby for the entire series or make him something evil. However he could be so many other things, my personal favorite is Prince of Music because music can cause emotion which would tie him to his mother, Cadence. I agree it would genetically take multiple tries before they got an alicorn child. As far as genetics go,  I think it may be similar to a book I've read. In the book 2 normal horses gave birth to a Pegasus, neither parent had any pegasi DNA but the child was a Pegasus. I think it may be similar, there is a random chance that a random pony couple would randomly have an alicorn foal however one parent being and alicorn would raise this chance. And yes I believe that when Cadence and Twilight became alicorns it changed their DNA.

So overall yes, I believe there could be a male alicorn it may just take a while to actually happen!

p.s. wouldn't it be hilarious if the Cakes or Pinkie's parents had another child and that child was an alicorn, the look on their faces would look so hilarious!

• Brohoof 1

To all  the people saying "oh, Hasbro targets this at girls so there will  never be a male alicorn", I say HAH! Hasbro has recognized the bronies so they would make it happen eventually. Also some people are worried about what this prince would do seeing as almost everything is taken care of so (in my opinion these are the 2 ways most people would choose)there are 2 options leave him a powerless baby for the entire series or make him something evil. However he could be so many other things, my personal favorite is Prince of Music because music can cause emotion which would tie him to his mother, Cadence. I agree it would genetically take multiple tries before they got an alicorn child. As far as genetics go,  I think it may be similar to a book I've read. In the book 2 normal horses gave birth to a Pegasus, neither parent had any pegasi DNA but the child was a Pegasus. I think it may be similar, there is a random chance that a random pony couple would randomly have an alicorn foal however one parent being and alicorn would raise this chance. And yes I believe that when Cadence and Twilight became alicorns it changed their DNA.

So overall yes, I believe there could be a male alicorn it may just take a while to actually happen!

p.s. wouldn't it be hilarious if the Cakes or Pinkie's parents had another child and that child was an alicorn, the look on their faces would look so hilarious!

Nice work! I could not have said it better myself. Question: If Twilight and Cadence's DNA changed throughout their change from ponies to alicorns, is it possible that they might live a little longer despite not being immortal like Princess Celestia and Luna? It would also be interesting if the male alicorn is an artificial alicorn like Twilight and Cadence.  

• Brohoof 1