Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is a male Alicorn possible in the future?

Green Precision

Well keep in mind that in fallout equestria... 

Red eye was trying to use the single pegasus project to become an alicorn stallion. while this isnt cannon, most of fallout equestria is well thought out and is very much what might happen in the scenario.

the idea has been tossed around, but keep in mind, theyre selling to 6 year old girls, and 6 year old girls want magical pony princesses. So no, it probably wont happen in cannon, but in the epic tales of beyond hasbro.....

I honestly hope there will be a male Alicorn because Candence's story isn't too well established. I mean, she's supposed to be Celestia's niece but if Luna didn't marry, how could she be their niece? Unless Celestia has an unknown sister or brother that hasn't been brought into the picture but if so, that would arise a whole bunch of new plot holes, for example, where was he when Tirek was terrorizing everybody? I'm not sure how Cadences backstory is explained and how she because an Alicorn but I think that Celestia made her an Alicorn because her wings aren't as big as Celestia and Luna's, her mane doesn't move the was theirs does, and when Twilight talks about her being a foal sitter, Cadence looks younger so she ages, which is something Celestia and Luna don't do since they are over one thousand years old.

I honestly hope there will be a male Alicorn because Candence's story isn't too well established. I mean, she's supposed to be Celestia's niece but if Luna didn't marry, how could she be their niece? Unless Celestia has an unknown sister or brother that hasn't been brought into the picture but if so, that would arise a whole bunch of new plot holes, for example, where was he when Tirek was terrorizing everybody? I'm not sure how Cadences backstory is explained and how she because an Alicorn but I think that Celestia made her an Alicorn because her wings aren't as big as Celestia and Luna's, her mane doesn't move the was theirs does, and when Twilight talks about her being a foal sitter, Cadence looks younger so she ages, which is something Celestia and Luna don't do since they are over one thousand years old.

I thought Cadence was adopted or something.

Ah, here it is. "The chapter book My Little Pony: Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell specifies that Celestia adopted her as a niece." -MLP Wiki.

Edited by WindyParadise

There's no reason to believe that a male couldn't become an alicorn if they earned it like Twilight or Cadance did. Equestria seems pretty gender-egalitarian from what we've seen, and it's also worth noting that alicornhood is apparently something earned by great merit/achievement and other things like that, meaning that it's unlikely gender would even be a concern.

From what's been seen, I'd venture to say it's next to impossible. For the simple meta reason, Hasbro only wants to market the show to girls, so of course all of MLP's best stuff is female.

Then you have to go into MLP's relative lack of strong male characters, and the real reason why there's four alicorns. Interestingly enough, Cadance was originally supposed to be a unicorn, leaving Celestia and Luna the only alicorns, however Hasbro went the toy bait route and put wings on her, because wings sell. However, they didn't do that with Shining Armor, despite the fact that they are supposedly equal in authority. In addition, consider the amount of attention Cadance gets from the show in comparison to Shining Armor. Thus, you have reason enough why Hasbro will likely never do it.

The only characters I could have plausibly seen as male alicorns would have been Starswirl the Bearded and Shining Armor. Starswirl the Bearded had tried and failed to ascend to a higher form, whereas Shining Armor demonstrates qualities that would be becoming of an alicorn and a prince, however Hasbro dropped the ball with him, thus he's merely seen as an accessory to Cadance and Twilight.

In addition, aesthetically a male alicorn just wouldn't look right, because their bodies are already naturally larger than females, thus the wings would cause an imbalance to the design.

Priority number one for the show should be improving the male characters it already has, as in to stop using Spike and Big Mac as gags, stop treating Shining Armor like a non-presence or the guy whose flank has to be saved time and time again, and get rid of Snips and Snails. Ideally, we'd like to see a world in which males and females can equally achieve as much. Though it really isn't MLP's domain, I'd like to see them treat their characters more fairly.

MLP treats it's male characters just fine, and not really any better or worse than the female characters. The only difference between the representation of female characters and male characters in the show is that the primary main cast of characters is mostly female, so you end up with female characters receiving more screentime. In the show, we do seem to see a world where males and females can equally achieve as much, it's just that the show is a limited window into that world, and it often focuses on the female characters more. There are plenty of achievers of both genders in the show, it's just a matter of screentime, and let's face it, both male and female side characters don't get too much of that.

You would be right that Hasbro probably mostly has interest in making more princesses. That doesn't in any way mean that male alicorns can't exist, it just means we may not end up seeing one appear in the show itself. Besides, assuming you would want to handle an ascencion arc for say, Shining Armor, it would take a large amount of screentime to do it well, something that the show doesn't usually dedicate to anything other than the main characters, regardless of gender. Side characters in general don't tend to get a lot of screentime in this show, and that even includes ponies like Celestia and Luna. They're very important, but we don't get to see them in action nearly as much as the Mane 6 and Spike.

If anything, the comics seem like a much more likely medium for such a hypothetical story arc, given that they give much more focus to side characters in many of their issues. Of course, there's the issue of maintaining some semblance of contiunity between the show and comics, so you can't exactly make a character in the comics an alicorn without that changing in the show too.

Seems female pony ratio of birth is a high skill

than a male sadly!

Well, the background pony crowds in the show are filled with stuff like clones and are generally quite inconsistent. I wouldn't call them reliable enough data for a census, so in other words the gender ratio could still be even.

To be fair though, given that I'm ultimately suggesting that almost all available data appears too unreliable to provide an answer, feel free to headcanon whatever I suppose. There are other things to consider there, such as the ponies being primarily monogamous like us, but I don't particularly want to extend this post any longer.

Edited by Vixor

I thought Cadence was adopted or something.

Ah, here it is. "The chapter book My Little Pony: Twilight Sparkle and the Crystal Heart Spell specifies that Celestia adopted her as a niece." -MLP Wiki.

Thank you for clearing that up. I'm still a little confused, though. Can someone adopt someone else as a niece directly or did Luna adopt her? Because Luna was trapped in the moon for a thousand years.

Speaking in a biological sense, I have no clue.  As others have said, it might be posible for Celestia and Luna to have one since they are inherently different than Twilight and Cadence.  That's not to say Twilight and Cadence couldn't have an alicorn foal/colt.

Now, in a marketing sense, I give it a slim to none chance.  That one fateful episode many saw Twilight turn from a unicorn into an alicorn, good or bad depending upon your tastes, Fluttershy says something along the lines of "You look just like a princess" to which Celestia says "That's because she is, my dear."

Those two little lines lead me to believe only mares can turn into alicorns.  There was a good, well thought out idea/notion in an analysis video of which stallion would be qualified to be an alicorn.  I agree with the person's idea that Shining Armor would be a perfect candidate. 

I'm doubtful male alicorns will exist, as stated above, simply for the marketing purposes where they are special in representing the 3 races, and you want your target audience, girls, to associate with what you're trying to market.  If a stallion were to emerge as an alicorn, become one, or a male alicorn were revealed, it'll probably do more harm than good.  The only time I've seen a male alicorn was that foreign comic where Leon, think that's his name, was an alicorn stallion but that can be disregarded from the canon side of things since it's a one shot comic of sorts with Rarity and Blue Blood. 

Sorry. I don't see any male alicorns in the future.  They might do it for some season finale temporary thing for lulz, but, other than that, it'll ruin the product market.  Not to mention they have 4 alicorns right now in the show.  Toys are one thing.  If you start cranking out more alicorns in the show, it'll pollute the concept of them being special. 

Anypony else think it would be awesome if they made a 2nd smaller MLP series that was focused on JUST the history, lore etc.?!

Just saying cuz lots of people are complaining about confusing alicorn ascension, how Cadence is an alicorn, whether Celestia and Luna are related to Cadence  and other similar complaints

Flash sentry will marry Twilight Sparkle and become an Alicorn...part of me wants this to happen just to see the fandoms reaction to it. 

In all seriousness though, I very much doubt it unless Sombre comes back as an Alicorn of vengeance. an Alicorn villain would be pretty awesome.

Flutters only said that because at this time princesses rule rather than princes. I think that maybe every thousand years the power would shift boy, girl boy, girl.  Maybe its just easier for mares to become alicorns which explains Sombra. Orrr I may just be overthinking this and should leave this topic by saying:

HASBRO WILL NOT MAKE A MALE ALICORN UNTIL 100% SURE IN THEIR BRONY SUPPORT! after this the show will morph into what Hasbro thinks they want, including gender representation. :)

Anypony else think it would be awesome if they made a 2nd smaller MLP series that was focused on JUST the history, lore etc.?!

Just saying cuz lots of people are complaining about confusing alicorn ascension, how Cadence is an alicorn, whether Celestia and Luna are related to Cadence  and other similar complaints

I'm sure if they made a game based on the Show then they would improve the lore and history of the world along with making side-characters more filled-out.

it is possible for their to be a male alicorn but who ? opt #1 shining armor or someone yet un-known?

Oh no, not Shining Armor. :eww:

Yes, someone still unknown would be better! :)