Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Unicorn magic?

AmberDust

I just finished watching the two new episodes...that was some Cupcakes Jonestown Big-brother shiznat right there. It was really cool to see some other ponies kicking butt, though! I really liked the characters in this episode.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Compare magic to today's technology or skills.

I could learn to write code and build my own quad copter that follows me around. Pair it with an oculus rift and live my life in third person.

Or I could learn persuasion techniques to get what I want.

Or maybe lock picking to break into other peoples houses and steal their stuff.

It's how I also envision magic. Coding and hacking is probably the best examples.

Learning to perform these actions could be useful in some situations, but the time and effort required to learn them isn't worth it.

Just like magic. Twilight spends loads of time learning this magic, which most people don't bother spending their time on.

Edit: And I don't think it's levels as OP suggests, it's more like spells. Like if you know how to code in C, then that's one spell. However if you know how to code in a lot of languages, you become better at coding in general, and can be more creative and experiment more with the code. You get stronger coding/magic.

Edited by Blaze Bronson

Compare magic to today's technology or skills.

I could learn to write code and build my own quad copter that follows me around. Pair it with an oculus rift and live my life in third person.

Or I could learn persuasion techniques to get what I want.

Or maybe lock picking to break into other peoples houses and steal their stuff.

It's how I also envision magic. Coding and hacking is probably the best examples.

Learning to perform these actions could be useful in some situations, but the time and effort required to learn them isn't worth it.

Just like magic. Twilight spends loads of time learning this magic, which most people don't bother spending their time on.

Edit: And I don't think it's levels as OP suggests, it's more like spells. Like if you know how to code in C, then that's one spell. However if you know how to code in a lot of languages, you become better at coding in general, and can be more creative and experiment more with the code. You get stronger coding/magic.

We're just trying to place levels on the spells themselves, in terms of difficulty to learn and preform. 

Twilight is probably an 8 or an 8 and a half. As she wasn't born with the duties to control the sun and stars, she doesn't know the spell for it. However, what makes her especially dangerous is the fact that she made new magic and that she has whipped up spells on the fly for certain situations. Even without her Alicorn magic, twilight was able to crush Tirek like a bug once she recognized the magic of friendship that burns inside of her. So I'd guess that magic comes from their personality and their willpower, Twilight being an Ironclad wall of discipline and love, whereas Trixie Lulamoon is full of deceit and trickery, and Rarity is actually really rather flighty. We have never seen Rarity attempt to study/learn magic, so we don't know where she lies on the power train. You forgot level 11 on the magic scale, and that's Pinkie Pie. Pinkie has done the impossible time and time again. such as being faster than Rainbow Dash, walking on the roof, and what not.

Pinkie Pie is some kind of Earth pony magic. A totally different class altogether.

That said I think it's a good tier list. Any unicorn could reach Twilight magic levels (before alicorn) if they have the passion.

I think that unicorns like Trixie, and even Shining Armor could reach that level even though they only use a certain category of spells

• Brohoof 1

Pinkie Pie is some kind of Earth pony magic. A totally different class altogether.

That said I think it's a good tier list. Any unicorn could reach Twilight magic levels (before alicorn) if they have the passion.

I think that unicorns like Trixie, and even Shining Armor could reach that level even though they only use a certain category of spells

Care to contribute here? http://mlpforums.com/topic/125542-place-the-power-read-post-before-voting/

:D

• 5 years later...

When it comes to Unicorns I would say that most just know levitation and a couple of talent related skills. I'd say that what you have as level one is really what most adult unicorns can do. Animating objects, energy beams, and weather manipulation are too complex for the average adult unicorn. Especially the weather manipulation. If the average unicorn could manipulate the weather, then they would render pegasi useless. I would think only really, really high level unicorns can do that (Even then, I still think it's stupid. Pegasi manipulate the weather, not unicorns.). Sometimes unicorns seem quite unbalanced, so I like to just give them some limitations to at least make it a little better.