Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Monster Hunter Club

Panne

Just finished my golden G-rank crown this evening. On top of that I've just finished forging full Shah Dalamadur armour and weapon. My God, the amount of time I spent looking for those stones, I tell you what!

Anyway, this set has rapid para, blast and clust, with status and bonus shot on top of it. It makes for an extremely deadly team battle. The clust spamming absolutely disintegrates monsters and makes for a very gratifying hunt! I'm looking forward to using this a bit more. Ahh. Reminds me of the good old God's Archipelego days.

Haven't got the chance to play MH4U, in a while. My recent achievement, was making a gathering god set, with my leather armor. I lent my Wii U to my twin brother, in case he want to give 3U a try.  He might be a gunner; we'd still make a badass duo, either way.

@FourtyTwo42:

Did I post the right friend code? My 3DS gave a message that you didn't add me yet. Also, it'd be awesome if you're planning on maining the Hunting Horn; we need to see a lot more of those kind of hunters! 

Are Lancers rare online? It's my weapon of choice, with Charge Blade being very close, behind. Guard points are awesome, but being a walking fortress is more awesome to me.

I tried Gunlance, but I'd need Evade Extender to be close in skill, to a beginner Gunlancer! >_> Do any of y'all mind telling me the order of weapon popularity, according to what you've seen during online hunt?

I'm gathering most of you will probably relate to this at some point or another. Farming plates, gems, mantles and other rare items can be a freaking pain, no matter how many times you decide to hunt, luck is never on your side...! :blink:

post-32539-0-61757500-1427135747_thumb.jpg

Isn't this guy generous? He gave me a lot of gems to upgrade my SNS and Lance! Oh, wait.... 

That was Rathalos, who only gave me one ruby.  :huh:

• Brohoof 1

Not sure if I've told this story before, but here it goes:

My friend and I fought his first Brachy together. I personally hate fighting it and he doesn't know its moves. We used all of our healling items like half way through the mission, had 1 try left, and had to resort to the sub quest to get extra items. We then divided up the med kits, cool drinks, and went for a final push with almost no stamina and health. It was epic and in the end I threw down a trap as it was charging us (trap master+ thank you) and he hit it with his tranq bombs. It was the most satisfying hunt because it felt like we were in danger the entire time.

• Brohoof 1

@Panne:

That story sounds miles more epic than my, "Smacked around multiple time, carting twice, annoyingly followed by two pathetic Shakalakas that left me open to multiple hits, as they didn't cast dance buffs, but annoyingly twerked instead, as I finally won after a long battle with my barely upgraded Ceadeus SNS."  story. Nice one!

I now have the full Monoblos S armor set. Soon, I'm aiming to do battle with Pink Rathians. I know what they're attack patterns are back in Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate so I'm aiming to make the armor set out of those monsters,

• Brohoof 1

Do any of y'all mind telling me the order of weapon popularity, according to what you've seen during online hunt?

According to what I've seen in G-rank, this would be the weapon popularity:

Most popular:

1. Insect Glaive (every guy and his dog has these babies)

2. Charge Blade (similar story)

3. Great Sword (only seem to be more common in G-rank)

4. Long Sword (just decently common)

The amount of times I end up in a room with 3 insect Glaive users just isn't funny.. Same goes for charge blades.

Least Popular:

1. LBG (only seen 1 other than myself)

2. Lance (around 2)

3. HBG (maybe 5 or 6)

4. Hunting Horn/ SnS (10 or so)

I've no idea where all the lancers have gone since MH Tri days. They were absolutely everywhere and i remember being steamrolled by novices constantly by those annoying charge attacks...My guess is that many have transferred to one of those newer weapons.

• Brohoof 1

According to what I've seen in G-rank, this would be the weapon popularity:

Most popular:

The amount of times I end up in a room with 3 insect Glaive users just isn't funny.. Same goes for charge blades.

Least Popular:

2. Lance (around 2)

3. HBG (maybe 5 or 6)

I've no idea where all the lancers have gone since MH Tri days. They were absolutely everywhere and i remember being steamrolled by novices constantly by those annoying charge attacks...My guess is that many have transferred to one of those newer weapons.

My fellow lancers.....are becoming EXTINCT? Or even abandoning such a sacred weapon, for a heavier simpleton's lance, with an artillery ability?  :(

*Curls into fetal position while holding tower shield, and lance*

Whoa, people actually prefer the SNS and Hunting Horn than Lance?!? :blink:  They're not bad weapons, but I thought most people would avoid going a support role. Speaking of roles, there should be an armor skill that allows a hunter to claim more aggro from a monster, in comparison to their allies. It'd be cool to actually defend allies, than simply perform a "stab-stab-counter stab" cycle; only defending myself! 

• Brohoof 1

My fellow lancers.....are becoming EXTINCT? Or even abandoning such a sacred weapon, for a heavier simpleton's lance, with an artillery ability? :(

*Curls into fetal position while holding tower shield, and lance*

Whoa, people actually prefer the SNS and Hunting Horn than Lance?!? :blink: They're not bad weapons, but I thought most people would avoid going a support role. Speaking of roles, there should be an armor skill that allows a hunter to claim more aggro from a monster, in comparison to their allies. It'd be cool to actually defend allies, than simply perform a "stab-stab-counter stab" cycle; only defending myself!

Truth be told, My hide has been saved by oncoming rath fireballs and other things from lancers' shields a couple of times. I'm not sure where they've gone either, but my best guess is because of the shielding capabilities, they've been given up for charge blades. Mind you, lances can be quite powerful if used effectively! :wacko:

And yeah, there isn't enough people using support classes thesedays. Raw power is good and all, but a well thought strategy and decent assistance can make a quest run very smoothly. ;)

I'd like to see some kind of defense boost in lances though its already OP in terms of defense! ^_^

• Brohoof 1

@FourtyTwo42:

Did I post the right friend code? My 3DS gave a message that you didn't add me yet. Also, it'd be awesome if you're planning on maining the Hunting Horn; we need to see a lot more of those kind of hunters!

I just checked, and it turns out I just forgot to add your friend code on my end. I just did it now, and we've become friends!

I'm still quite new to the Hunting Horn. I don't think I've really got the hang of deciding what move is best in each situation yet, which is quite important for a slow weapon. But I'm starting to learn not to play music when the monster's about to trample me, so I'm improving! I can definitely say I'm committed to learning the ways of the Hunting Horn now!

I've also tried the Switch Axe a bit, but it hasn't really grown on me. Unleashing an elemental burst on a downed monster feels great, but I've just found the Hunting Horn appeals to me more. I'm still interested in the Switch Axe though, so if I ever feel I need to learn a new weapon, the Switch Axe is probably next in line!

Isn't this guy generous? He gave me a lot of gems to upgrade my SNS and Lance! Oh, wait.... 

That was Rathalos, who only gave me one ruby.  :huh:

I got a gem from the one and only high rank Hrachydios I've fought so far. B)

In other news, Zinogre has become the monster that just refuses to give up their rare parts to me. Yeah, plates are good and all, but the reason I'm killing all of you Zinogres is because I want your jaspers, not your plates! I've gotten about four plates from high rank Zinogres while fighting them just to get their jaspers.

Most popular:

Least Popular:

2. Lance (around 2)

3. HBG (maybe 5 or 6)

Although I don't use Insect Glaive now, I definitely plan on using them later. I'm potentially hopping on the bandwagon and using the most popular weapon too! And my absolute favourite weapon, the Long Sword, is also up there in popularity. It seems Hunting Horns are unpopular though, so I'll be helping boost those numbers! By the way, do you think Switch Axes are uncommon? I've heard Switch Axers are also very rare, but they're not on your 'least popular' list.

It's strange, I don't remember Lance ever being popular, even back when I was playing MH Tri. I specifically remember thinking it's strange how few lancers I've hunted with. It was probably one lancer every 10 groups or so for me back then. I've barely played MH4U online though, and never with randoms, so I don't really have any personal experience to share there.

Whoa, people actually prefer the SNS and Hunting Horn than Lance?!? :blink:  They're not bad weapons, but I thought most people would avoid going a support role. Speaking of roles, there should be an armor skill that allows a hunter to claim more aggro from a monster, in comparison to their allies. It'd be cool to actually defend allies, than simply perform a "stab-stab-counter stab" cycle; only defending myself! 

You want the armor skill 'Taunt'. But intentionally getting that skill can be difficult, because it's actually considered a 'drawback' skill, so to get it you need to get -10 points towards 'Sense'. (The 'positive' version of 'Sense' is the skill 'Sneak' which you get with +10 points and it makes monsters target you less). Still, Zinogre armor will give you lots of 'antipoints' towards it, and you can gem it in with the jewels that boost Gloves Off, Wide-Range and Biology since all of those jewels have the 'drawback' of -1 Sense. I've heard another method is to use the 'Field Horn' item, which directs monsters' attention to you, although I've never tried it.

And yeah, there isn't enough people using support classes thesedays. Raw power is good and all, but a well thought strategy and decent assistance can make a quest run very smoothly. ;)

I like doing support roles now and then! Focusing purely on support probably isn't for me, but sacrificing a bit of offense to get some support options sounds like a great deal to me! I consider the Bow and the Hunting Horn to be my supportive weapons. Bow, because I can inflict all sorts of status ailments on the monster, and Hunting Horn because, well, it's the Hunting Horn! And I don't feel these weapons are really any weaker than my Long Sword and Dual Blades anyway. I get pretty much identical kill times with them all, so I'm happy to solo with all four of them, and I'll probably just switch up depending on what I feel like at the time.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

What weapons count as what? I always hear people say things like Horns are support but then I get online and see horn users buff themselves and then solo elder dragons...

Edited by Panne

What weapons count as what? I always hear people say things like Horns are support but then I get online and see horn users buff themselves and then solo elder dragons...

I think most people consider the Hunting Horn to be much more support focused than it actually is. They probably just focus on the Horn's ability to play songs to give everyone buffs, since this is the Hunting Horn's unique feature, and if you're hunting with a Horn user getting their buffs is the main thing you're going to notice about them. But because of all this focus on the Horn's melodies, people don't realize that the Horn is still a powerful weapon on its own. I can solo with the Hunting Horn and still get kill times close to those I get with my other main weapons, and the small difference in time is probably just because I'm still a novice at the Horn.

This is a great article I've found on the topic that has influenced my view on the Hunting Horn and was one of the main reasons I decided to try it out. It's a bit long, but it goes into things in much more detail than I did, so have a look if you're interested:

http://gaijinhunter.tumblr.com/post/86962514147/hunting-horn-wide-range-support-is-wrong

• Brohoof 1

Although I don't use Insect Glaive now, I definitely plan on using them later. I'm potentially hopping on the bandwagon and using the most popular weapon too! And my absolute favourite weapon, the Long Sword, is also up there in popularity. It seems Hunting Horns are unpopular though, so I'll be helping boost those numbers! By the way, do you think Switch Axes are uncommon? I've heard Switch Axers are also very rare, but they're not on your 'least popular' list.

I like doing support roles now and then! Focusing purely on support probably isn't for me, but sacrificing a bit of offense to get some support options sounds like a great deal to me! I consider the Bow and the Hunting Horn to be my supportive weapons. Bow, because I can inflict all sorts of status ailments on the monster, and Hunting Horn because, well, it's the Hunting Horn! And I don't feel these weapons are really any weaker than my Long Sword and Dual Blades anyway. I get pretty much identical kill times with them all, so I'm happy to solo with all four of them, and I'll probably just switch up depending on what I feel like at the time.

I seem to run into my fair share of SwitchAxe users. It's about medium occurrence along with Dual blades, gun lance, Hammer, etc. I know in G-rank people seem to really focus on raw damage they'e dealing. Probably situational I'm guessing. I always see people using this thing on Jhen Mohran and other large monsters.

I've never actually experimented properly with the bow. I'm aware it can inflict status, but pfft! That's nothing compared to rapid firing status, so I never really saw the need, and again HBG covers raw. However, it would be fairly handy combined with decent strength, it seems to be an interesting balance between the two. But anyway, I digress! I never really did understand the different charge levels, but I've seen some pierce rounds being fired into monster pretty efficiently! 

I'd call LBG strictly support, though many would argue against it and say blah about elemental damage.. it's pretty much the epitome of support weapons imo. Demon S is certainly a damn handy bullet to have when locking monsters. It's like forcefully injecting might pills into folks! It's brilliant! :umad:

I would even go so far as to say Hammer and Insect glaive can be bordering on a support weapon as in effect, you're actually applying status to a monster (exhaust/mounting) and they do open up vulnerabilities for hunters to attack.. :huh:

Also, yeah, Hunting Horn, arguably I could say that lies with a bit of a mixture as with the hammer and such, I mean that movement speed is nothing to scoff at! Anyway, famous example for support, you'd definitely bring a Stamina boosting one say if you were playing with Dual Bladers or SwitchAxers.

Well, any weapon can be used to solo a monster efficiently as we've all found, and same goes that anything can be used for support. It's more of weapon variety and combinations that provide a good support I've found. :lol:

Edited by The Crimson Cross
  • Brohoof 2

I seem to run into my fair share of SwitchAxe users. It's about medium occurrence along with Dual blades, gun lance, Hammer, etc. I know in G-rank people seem to really focus on raw damage they'e dealing. Probably situational I'm guessing. I always see people using this thing on Jhen Mohran and other large monsters.

I never really thought about using the Switch Axe against the Dah'ren Mohran. I'd imagine if you could get on its back and drink some Dash Juice, you could do some incredible damage with the axe chop-chop-chop-chop move! Anyway, it's nice to know the Switch Axe is still getting use. I would've thought with the new Charge Blade most Switch Axe users would've gone to that weapon.

I've never actually experimented properly with the bow. I'm aware it can inflict status, but pfft! That's nothing compared to rapid firing status, so I never really saw the need, and again HBG covers raw. However, it would be fairly handy combined with decent strength, it seems to be an interesting balance between the two. But anyway, I digress! I never really did understand the different charge levels, but I've seen some pierce rounds being fired into monster pretty efficiently! 

I'd call LBG strictly support, though many would argue against it and say blah about elemental damage.. it's pretty much the epitome of support weapons imo. Demon S is certainly a damn handy bullet to have when locking monsters. It's like forcefully injecting might pills into folks! It's brilliant! :umad:

I'm pretty much the exact same when it comes to the Bowguns; I've never really experimented with them. I have been using Bows the second longest out of all the weapons I use, but I've only briefly used the Bowguns once or twice to see if I'd like them before moving on. And from what I can tell, Bowguns are the most complicated weapon in the game, since you've got to take into account ammo types, monster weakpoints, critical distance, reloading, deviation, combining materials, rapid fire/siege mode and just making sure you're using the right ammo for the right situation. But Bows have almost all of those things to worry about as well, so perhaps my experience with a Bow would help me in understanding Bowgun mechanics if I ever get to that. It's probably much easier to switch between ranged weapons then to switch from a bladesmaster weapon to a ranged weapon.

I feel the main difference between the Bow and Bowguns is in how they fire and reload. Bows need to charge each shot before firing, while Bowguns can just shoot at a moment's notice and fire faster in succession, so Bowguns would have the advantage there. But the Bow never runs out of arrows while the Bowgun needs to keep reloading, so the Bow's better in that regard. And they each have their special feature: Light Bowgun has rapid fire, Heavy Bowgun has siege mode, and Bows have arc/power shots.

Anyway, I agree Light Bowgun is the king of support. It's the best weapon out there for inflicting statuses. And you bring up a good point about Demon S as well, the Bow certainly has nothing like that to work with. I think there's ammo that can heal hunters or increase their defense too, which just gives the Light Bowgun even more supportive options. The Bow doesn't have any way to buff other hunters by shooting them with special ammo. But I can still use the Bow as a good supportive weapon, I'll just probably be focusing more on damage and less on support compared to a Light Bowgun.

The more I talk about this, the more I feel Bows and Bowguns have in common. It's really making me want to give Bowguns another try now!

I would even go so far as to say Hammer and Insect glaive can be bordering on a support weapon as in effect, you're actually applying status to a monster (exhaust/mounting) and they do open up vulnerabilities for hunters to attack.. :huh:

Also, yeah, Hunting Horn, arguably I could say that lies with a bit of a mixture as with the hammer and such, I mean that movement speed is nothing to scoff at! Anyway, famous example for support, you'd definitely bring a Stamina boosting one say if you were playing with Dual Bladers or SwitchAxers.

Well, any weapon can be used to solo a monster efficiently as we've all found, and same goes that anything can be used for support. It's more of weapon variety and combinations that provide a good support I've found. :lol:

If you really want to, just get a Paralysis weapon of you choice, and there you go, instant support weapon! In fact, Dual Blades are really good at status because of how quickly they hit, so using Dual Blades for support like it would be quite effective. You just can't switch status mid-hunt like ranged weapons can.

I'm not entirely sure about Hammers or other weapons, but I know when the Hunting Horn hits something, it deals both stun and exhaust damage, so every hit I land with my Horn makes the monster get closer to becoming tired, and if I hit the head, makes it closer to getting stunned. So when I use the Hunting Horn, playing songs certainly isn't the only supportive thing I'm doing!

• Brohoof 2

What are the benefits of bows? I like both heavy and light bow guns but I dislike bows just because they feel so off.

I don't know Bowguns well enough to be too sure of the Bow's benefits over them, but here's everything I can think of that's hopefully correct:

- The Bow never runs out of ammo, so you never have to worry about constantly reloading like Bowguns do. A Bowgun user needs to keep reloading after every few shots they make. A Bow user will probably only need to stop to load ammo coatings maybe five times in a whole hunt.

- Power coatings make the Bow's arrows deal 50% more damage. This is an insane damage boost, which really helps boost your damage output a lot, especially since you can carry 50 of them (or 70 if you bring materials to combine for more, which you probably should).

- If you take advantage of all of the Bow's damage modifiers (Charging to lv. 3 makes your arrows do 150% damage, firing from critical distance makes your arrows do 150% damage, and using power coatings makes you arrows do 150% damage), they all stack together and help give the Bow a high damage output.

- Some Bows come with arc shots. These don't have too much use, since you'll do more damage over time by just firing normally, but they are good at inflicting status since they involve lots of hits, and it gives you a good way to hit a monster that's run far away from you without getting the penalty for firing outside critical distance. Arc shots also inflict stun if they hit the head, but it's extremely hard to actually stun a monster this way.

- If the Bow doesn't have an arc shot, it has a power shot instead. This allows you to use some extra stamina to fire an arrow at the charge level above what you were currently at. However, you can use a power shot directly after a normal shot, effectively letting you get two hits in a row, doing a lot of damage. I'd argue power shots are better than arc shots, but they both have their uses.

- Bowguns can only deal elemental damage by specifically using elemental ammo. Bows just come with an element like Blademaster weapons do, allowing you to easily utilize the Bow's element for the whole hunt.

- The Bow has a melee attack that can cut tails. But it's pretty much useless, so this isn't much of an advantage over the Bowgun.

Edited by FortyTwo42
  • Brohoof 2

So, as of today I'm currently working on a gathering God/Charmer God set. 

I thought initially to go for the generic leather gear, but then I realised I might as well forge the G-Rank Hawk (Caravaneer) set which gives 15+ gathering skill automatically. It's fairly strong armour rating and has all kinds of useful abilities for a general purpose. Not to mention those 11(+) slots to work with. I guess it'll be a matter of fitting the gems on and finding the right charms for the job. 

A waste of time you say? Pfft! No! Of course not! The amount of time I spend searching for armour spheres and decent charms is just ridiculous! Hopefully it'll make things easier through developing my other future armour sets. 

Now. To go find a whole heap of really obscure materials from the Everwood!!  :please:

Just a thought, do many of you guys delegate a special set for gathering? Are they mixed ones, or..? Anyway, I thought it was an interesting topic to bring up.

Just a thought, do many of you guys delegate a special set for gathering? Are they mixed ones, or..? Anyway, I thought it was an interesting topic to bring up.

One of the first things I made in this game was a set of leather armor for its gathering skills. As soon as I had enough slots from weapons and talismans, I also gemmed in Speed Gather. Whenever I'm gathering materials, I always use that set! I might make a better gathering set in G-rank, but I don't have any plans to make any more now.

Edited by FortyTwo42

i feel like insect glaive gets a bad rep because of mount spammeds online, personally, when I use it, I mainly use its buff feature and only mount when appropriate, just like any other weapon class.

In terms of charge blade, I loved GS in 3U and was intrigued by sns but never really got into it, so CB feels like a beast of both worlds for me.

I also experiment with various other weaponry, got some sns, some gs, lance, gunlance, hbg, some bow as it was my main weapon in 3U for a long time, pretty much all I dont really use much is dual blades, switchaxe, and lbg.

Even so, I havent played in weeks since I had burnt myself out super bad and wasnt really having fun anymore, Im sure I will make a triumphant return eventually.

I just fought the Deviljho for the very first time today. In each game, it always turns up for the first time near the end of high rank, and I've just never gotten far enough through any game before to get a quest to hunt it. Not that I've never had my hunt invaded by the Deviljho and ran for my life. I've been dreading this, since I've heard the Deviljho was one very difficult monster and this was my first time fighting it. But, I actually didn't find him all that difficult. I got used to his moves very quickly, was able to find lots of opportunities to get in hits, and I never carted (although I did get very close to carting once). The Brachydios you had to fight beforehand was much tougher, and that's even taking into account I already have a lot of prior experience with Brachydios. Do you guys have trouble with the Deviljho, or is his difficulty just exaggerated?

On another note, am I missing something about how to use Wystones? I used them often throughout the frenzied Brachydios and frenzied Deviljho hunts, but I never knocked either of them out of their frenzy. Admittedly, I wasn't paying much attention to when they recharged and often waited longer than I needed before using them, so I could've used them a bit more than I did. Do you have to just constantly use the Wystones as soon as they become available to do it? Or is there something else I might be doing wrong?

• Brohoof 1