Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming What video game made your childhood?

Xievie

Any Pokemon game. I played them all the time, was always online looking for elusive ways to catch Mew or Celebi (it took me years to find the Mew glitch), training up my Pokemon in Cerulean Cave/Mt. Silver. I'm considering buying a Switch just to play Sword and Shield.

Probably Crash Team Racing on the PS1, playing 4 player vs races with my friends back in the day plus the banter while we were playing was hilariously fun. Don't get times like those anymore, pretty much always play games alone now.

(edited)

MechWarrior 2. That game started my obsession with with mechanics, and I think it's also the reason I prefer the slower, more powerful side of mecha, rather than the hyper-agile type (e.g. Gundam). I still think stuff like that is cool, but nothing beats the gracefulness of a Timber Wolf clipping along at eighty-six km/h right before it flattens an entire city, or the terror of seeing something like a Warhawk stomp toward you as it destroys entire tank platoons with the ease of a child knocking over dominos.

Edited by Booker

It'd have to be Mario kart 64, Mario Tennis 64, Banjo Kazooie, Legend Of Zelda: OOT, Pokemon Stadium, Super Smash Bros 64, Pokemon Ruby,  Pokemon Diamond, Super Smash Bros Brawl and Super Mario Galaxy :laugh: ^^ I had A LOT of fond memories playing those games :3 :catface:

There’s a lot of nostalgic video games, but if it weren’t for Pokémon, I probably wouldn’t have my two oldest friends, so that’s my answer. 

• Brohoof 1

Many. :pinkie: Zelda 1 (NES). Super Mario Bros. 2 (the western one). Adventures of Lolo. Paper Mario 1 & 2. Grandia. Pokémon (Generation 1 - 3). Golden Sun series. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance. Star Fox Adventures. Zelda: The Wind Waker. Advance Wars series. Super Smash Bros. 1, 2, 3. Brawl was the perfect game to end the childhood (or rather teen years).

As a Nintendo game,r a lot of their games have made my childhood one way or another. I suppose if you want me to point out which games made the first big impact on me from each franchise, then:

Mario franchise: Super Mario All-Stars when I was playing through a SNES at a hotel in San Francisco in grade school

Zelda: Majora's Mask. First rented from a Blockbuster in 2001. Always been my personal favorite. Even the 3DS remake is awesome despite some parts of it being a step down from the N64 Original in some gamers' eyes

Pokemon: Yellow edition come with my first Handheld Gaming device, the Game Boy Color in 2000. A classmate showing a VHS copy of the first Pokemon movie made me aware of the franchise 2 years after the Franchise U.S. debut

These are the ones from my early-ish childhood
The Incredible Machine (T.I.M)
Monkey Island
Loom
Betrayal at Krondor
Lemmings
The Lost Vikings
Judge Dredd
Time Crisis

From my teenage years:
Tony Hawks 2 - American Wasteland
Blair Witch Project 1 and 2
Diablo
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2
Sacred
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Baulder's Gate
Neverwinter Nights
Icewind dale

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Reality Check said:

Any Mario games, 'cause I used to play Mario Party DS as a kid whenever I visit my grandma

That was one of my favorite games as well, I played it almost every day when I first got it. I loved the boards and story but I used to be pretty bad at defeating the bosses.

• Brohoof 3

GTA SA and Minecraft. The first one I had been playing from the moment my family got a PC, that was about when I was sin kindergarten. The second one in middle and elementary school, I even had a channel on YT

• Brohoof 1

No video game ever made an impression on my childhood unless you count the misery they always caused me. I’ve never had any affection for any of them and always played under protest. Even if I had a different opinion of video games I doubt I’d hold them in any greater esteem than I would any of the old board games I used to play, because to me a game is a game; just a quick time waster with nothing significant enough about it to garner nostalgia of any sort. No one ever gets excited about playing Life, Scrabble or Pente because there’s no reason to. Granted, video games are more elaborate, but to me they’re more annoying too. Sorry to all you game enthusiasts out there; I know many of you are passionate about your hobby, so I hope you won’t tar and feather me, or worse yet, make me play your games!  

• 2 months later...

Metroid prime was the biggest one for me. Absolutely ahead of its time. Mario sunshine, kirby's air ride and crazy taxi also are mentionable. 

I also had a Gameboy advance that was a lot of fun, had yoshi's story and metroid fusion.