Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who do you suppose Sunset Shimmer's family could be?

ManaMinori

In the 2014 Christmas Special of the EqG comics, Sunset Shimmer mentions her family for the first time, and that she never really got along with them. Unfortunately, not much else is revealed about the family Sunny left back in Equestria.

Personally, I think it'd be rather interesting if it were revealed that Trixie was her sister; finding out that in spite of being sisters, they never got along, since Trixie wasn't as magically gifted as her sister, she was always in Sunny's shadow, which led her to creating this whole other ponysona who's supposed to be so great and powerful, and turning to stage magic (maybe the parents also putting their more magically gifted daughter, Sunset Shimmer, on a higher pedestal, with more hopes for her future, which in turn led Sunny to start developing that entitlement mindset she had, once she became Celestia's apprentice)

what do you guys think? Who could Sunset Shimmer's family be, and why might she not have gotten along with them?

• Brohoof 1

I know it is not likely at all but I would love a reveal that Sunset is actually Celestia's daughter it's just something about the huge sun themed character design that makes me wonder and no-body seems to question, what does her cutie-mark actually represent? We know it's a sun and the only other pony with a sun on their butt we know of is Celestia. She has a sun on her flank and can control the sun. But what does Sunset control that represents her sun cutie mark is a question that will probably go un-answered.

• Brohoof 2

Hello @Nightmare Muffin!

As your thread deals with a character from the EqG movies and as Sunset has yet to make an appearance on the show proper, I have move this thread to the Equestria Girls forum. In the future please keep in mind the proper placement of your topics as anything related to Equestria Girls belongs in this forum.

Thank you and have a good day. :)

• Brohoof 1

What if she had a sister, and that sister became a princes of somewhere in equestria?? Maybe that's why she wanted to be a princess so much, she was jealous of her sister

Edited by Jay-cross

• 4 months later...

Maybe sunset is twilights sister in law and they become princesses of the sun and moon

I feel like Twilight being Sunny's sister in law would further complicate Twilight's family. But as for them becoming princesses of the sun and moon- I think signs are ....or have been, rather, pointing to that, for a while now.

Let's all hope they could reveal it at the next EQG movie, maybe.

Also,

It's probably to complicated for Sunset and Twi to be sisters-in-law, if you would regard Celestia and Twi's parents with this.

• Brohoof 1

Also,

It's probably to complicated for Sunset and Twi to be sisters-in-law, if you would regard Celestia and Twi's parents with this.

you maybe on to something, but then again the next EqG is a sport based film, so yeah...

What if she had a sister, and that sister became a princes of somewhere in equestria?? Maybe that's why she wanted to be a princess so much, she was jealous of her sister

From what we see from princesses, there are only 4, and they are godly beings that rule over entire kingdoms. So no, I don't think she would have a sister become a princess that easily.

Someone came up with the idea that Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer are sisters. Doesn't seem too far-fetched like most fan-fictions are.

I suppose what Sunset meant in those comics is that she never really liked her family that much and is happy without them and hence, would rather stay in the human world permanently.

• Brohoof 1

The same as Scootaloo's of course!

As in characters we are never gonna meet because for logical reasons through the EQG narrative and them not being important whatsoever in the grand scheme or whatever the heck Scootaloo's reasons are we are just never going to see or care very much about them.

• 1 month later...

Starting to wonder if Hasbro will ever drop hints on n who Sunny's family.....

all this secrecy on her fmily history, you'd think sh he was a pegasus or something.

Sheesh

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Also,

Cousin-in-law, but yes.

Cadence is Twilight's sister in law making Celestia her aunt. The offspring of an aunt or uncle is a cousin. That clears that up.

as for my two cents, I don't know who her family was, all I believe is that they are 1000 years dead. Sunset existed in the past, and all this wibbly wobbly timey wimey junk that I won't go into. IT prefers to stay in my head rather than in text.

Someone came up with the idea that Starlight Glimmer and Sunset Shimmer are sisters. Doesn't seem too far-fetched like most fan-fictions are.

I suppose what Sunset meant in those comics is that she never really liked her family that much and is happy without them and hence, would rather stay in the human world permanently.

That's an interesting theory because I do still wonder if Starlight is a former student of Celestia's.

That's an interesting theory because I do still wonder if Starlight is a former student of Celestia's.

honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if she was. I mean, its been reveale just recently that Sombra's bff as a colt, Radiant Hope, was Sunbutt's student.
  • Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, Sunset Shimmer's family.

That's one of the questions I've asked about her, along with "WHERE IN THE HUMAN WORLD DOES SHE LIVE?!" and "If Sunset originally came from Equestria, why don't we see a human Sunset Shimmer in the movie?"

The students seem to be at school all the time. Do they ever go home to their parents? Are their parents even aware that their children are magical? They're in high school, they must have some family, but Sunset came from Equestria, so she wouldn't have parents in the human world. But then how does she have a home, and how does she take care of herself? I don't think these questions will ever be answered in MLP.