Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who do you suppose Sunset Shimmer's family could be?

ManaMinori

Actually, I always tought Sunset is an orphan...but now I think her family is a unicorn couple what did not care about their daughter and what we have not seen yet.

I like the idea that Sun Shimmer from G3 could be her mother.

Edited by Fluidty

• 1 year later...

now that we're getting a comic series expanding on mlp lore and whatnot, I have to wonder if we'll get a hint at SS's parents

so much of her past is still left in the dark

You know? I think that's a way for to explore more about her character in future EGs movies, or maybe the specials. You know, if she could reconnect with her family, it doesn't necessarily has to be her original pony, she could be doing so with the human counterparts of her family in place of Human Sunny. Well, that depends if Human Sunny just ran away, or died tragically, but I guess that'll make a good plot for her 

now that we're getting a comic series expanding on mlp lore and whatnot, I have to wonder if we'll get a hint at SS's parents

so much of her past is still left in the dark

The only hint that we've ever had regarding Sunset's family was what she said about them in the Holiday 2014 special--I know most don't like this particular comic but it works in this context. When asked by Applejack as to why she spent the holidays on her own, Sunset mentioned that she was never really close to her family. We can assume from this that she either had a falling out with them or they ignored her magical talents or some other reason that currently remains unknown.

The Fall of Sunset Shimmer only shows what happened during those final weeks before she left Equestria rather than explain how she ended up becoming Celestia's prized student. I'm surprised there hasn't been any additional Equestria Girls comics dedicated to such information not to mention additional EQG comics period.

The only hint that we've ever had regarding Sunset's family was what she said about them in the Holiday 2014 special--I know most don't like this particular comic but it works in this context. When asked by Applejack as to why she spent the holidays on her own, Sunset mentioned that she was never really close to her family. We can assume from this that she either had a falling out with them or they ignored her magical talents or some other reason that currently remains unknown.

The Fall of Sunset Shimmer only shows what happened during those final weeks before she left Equestria rather than explain how she ended up becoming Celestia's prized student. I'm surprised there hasn't been any additional Equestria Girls comics dedicated to such information not to mention additional EQG comics period.

perhaps, since she had become Sunbutt's student at a young age, like Twilight did, she was raised more by her teachers and Sunbutt, and never really got to spend time with her family to be close to them. (again, like Twilight, as we hardly ever see her parents, nor hear about them from her, either)

though that doesn't really give answer as to who her family might be.....

perhaps, since she had become Sunbutt's student at a young age, like Twilight did, she was raised more by her teachers and Sunbutt, and never really got to spend time with her family to be close to them. (again, like Twilight, as we hardly ever see her parents, nor hear about them from her, either)

though that doesn't really give answer as to who her family might be.....

Sunset's answer to Applejack was seen as vague more than anything else, and she really didn't want to talk about her family as though it brought back painful memories. I'm surprised none of the movies have ever brought it up before, but then I'm not surprised by it as it could be a touchy subject. If only she could have been seen with a letter from her parents at the very least. That would have given Sunset some credence regarding her family issue and explain why they haven't attempted to make contact with her.

• 7 months later...

It would be cool if Sunset was actually related to Celestia, but it's interesting the power she got from the crystal. The ability to see one's memorys, sounds in a way like Luna's doesn't it?. As Luna can see dreams. Maybe she could possibly instead be Luna's daughter? probably not. But the cutie mark to take into account, realtives in the pony universe do usually have the same kind of cutie mark theme like... Twilight her family allines with stars/moon and another is Applejack's family lining up with apples!. It's possible her cutie mark allines with Celestias or like another commenter said even Starburst possibly.

( I really hope she isn't related to Starburst though xD )

It's possible that Sunset's family is to her like Pinkie's family is to her: nearly opposite.  Sunset was always determined and ambitious, that may have been a great contrast to her family, much like Pinkie's outgoing ways are a direct contrast to the rest of the Pie family.  

3 hours ago, Skytower said:

It's possible that Sunset's family is to her like Pinkie's family is to her: nearly opposite.  Sunset was always determined and ambitious, that may have been a great contrast to her family, much like Pinkie's outgoing ways are a direct contrast to the rest of the Pie family.  

according to the comics, Sunny didn't get along with her family. It may explain how nasty she used to be. Still, I would love to see the human counterparts meeting Sunny, mistaking her for their actual daughter 

On 1/22/2017 at 8:40 AM, cmarston1 said:

I do like the idea of Sunburst being her brother, but I kinda also find the headcanon of her being an orphan to be pretty plausible.

That's something that I've been considering myself, especially since they have similar coloration & sun-related cutie marks.  Furthermore, as of Mirror Magic, Sunset's magic is almost the same exact color as Sunbursts...

• 2 months later...

Celestia's first statement before Twilight can really speak is about whether Sunset is okay.  I think if she isn't currently they should make her Celestia's daughter or some kind of relative.  It's a really good angle and would make for some interesting episodes.  

• Brohoof 2

I think Sunburst might be a member of her family. So from the same town as Starlight originally, but Sunset is his older sister. Just that he didnt do as well as she did at Celestia's school. Plus understanding of magic would be a part of that family.