Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning MLP Nations; Peace, Trade and War [OOC, Discuss, War, Dark, Politics, Adventure]

The Shadow Stallion

Here's my nation. I made a one or two tweaks here and there...

Name: Medeis

Government: Magocracy - The government is run entirely by unicorns, pegasi and earth ponies are generally forbidden from holding office. The leader is known as the High Magi, and his/her rule is absolute. The High Magi rules for life, and may only be lawfully overthrown if he/she loses in a magical duel to another unicorn. When the High Magi dies, a magic competition is held to determine the strongest magic users in the land; any able bodied unicorn may participate. After this competition, the ponies of Medeis vote on which one of the winners of the competition they want to become the High Magi. Any resident of Medeis may vote, including earth ponies, pegasi, and diamond dogs. After the High Magi is elected, the other winners of the competition become Magi, a position of great power and responsibility. Magi are usually in charge of the day to day operations of the country, but the High Magi has the final say in all things. The High Magi may promote a unicorn to the rank of Magi if he so desires, as long as the would-be Magi is a competent magic user, and he may also remove Magi from office.

Ruler: High Magi Crystal Tower

Environment: Medeis is located in a vast, inhospitable wasteland far south of Canterlot. The country is almost entirely comprised of jagged mountain peaks and gravelly wastelands. Travel on foot is almost impossible, and the land is usually traversed by air, teleportation, and underground tunnels. There are a few volcanoes to the far east, but most ponies avoid living anywhere near those. Weather is not regulated by pegasi in Medeis, and storms come and go as they please.

Two Primary Resources:

Magical Knowledge: The unicorns of Medeis have been studying magic for thousands of years. There are vast libraries dedicated solely to magic, and the magical universities are considered some of the best in Equestria. However, the residents of Medeis are very hesitant to share their magical know-how with outsiders. Magical Universities and libraries are barred to all but unicorn residents of Medeis.

Gems: There are sizable veins of rare gemstones scattered all throughout Medeis, thanks to the nearby volcanic activity. Gems from Medeis are well known for their purity and size.

Two Resources that are Scarce:

Food: The harsh, rocky terrain of Medeis is not suitable for farming or raising livestock. Although some mushrooms are grown underground, not enough food is grown to support the entire country. Most of the food is generally imported into Medeis from other nations.

Wood: There are no forests in Medeis. Although most residents of Medeis have found ways to live without wood based products, what wood they do need must be imported. Paper especially is in high demand, and fetches a pretty penny.

General Race Composition: Medeis is mostly comprised of unicorns and earth ponies. Very few Pegasi live in Medeis. Many diamond dogs also live in Medeis.

General Race Description:​ The unicorns of Medeis are renowned for their magical talent and ability. The earth ponies here are infamous for being terrible at growing plants and dealing with nature, but they do fairly well at mining, and so for the most part remain underground.

General Race Personality: They are welcoming towards most outsiders, but are extremely suspicious of any unicorn visitors.  Any unicorn coming from another land to Medeis must at all times be accompanied by a guard, and they are forbidden from wearing a ridiculous hat. Foreign unicorns are not allowed to immigrate to Medeis, and are not allowed to visit the nation for longer than one month. The unicorns of Medeis tend to be snobbish and narcissistic, but they are very loyal to their friends and allies. Diamond Dogs that live here tend to be far more cultured then their brethren in the wild.

2 Primary Nation Traits: Magical and Isolated.

Culture and Description: The unicorns of Medeis are well known for wearing silly hats. The more ridiculous the hat, the higher the unicorn's social and political standing. It is considered an extreme faux pas for a unicorn to not wear a silly hat in public. Is is usually up to the individual unicorn exactly how silly they want their hat to be, but care must be taken. If they choose a hat that is sillier then their current social standing will allow, they will be openly mocked by other unicorns for thinking too highly of themselves. Wearing a hat that isn't silly enough is considered an insult to yourself and everypony around you. The High Magi is known for wearing a extremely old and silly hat. This hat is regarded as a symbol of the position of High Magi, and has been around for thousands of years. Other races besides unicorns may wear silly hats if they so desire, but very few do. The population of Medeis are very superstitious about Lord Venenifer. They believe he still haunts his old labyrinth, and will someday come back from the dead to claim dominion over the land once again. Merely saying his name is considered extremely bad luck.

Buildings: Almost all the inhabitants of Medeis live in vast underground complexes tunneled under the mountains. There are very few above ground entrances to these underground cities, and those are guarded by large strongholds. Most of these complexes are joined with one another by long tunnels, but these tunnels are maze like in construction, and you can easily get lost in them if you don't know the way. The only two notable structures that are built above ground are the High Magi's Tower and the trade city of Permutatio. The High Magi's tower is built in the middle of a large crater lake, and is built out of a extremely resilient magical crystal. The only entrance into this tower is through a large underground military base. This tower is the seat of all government in Medeis, and contains a massive library containing knowledge on magic. The trade city of Permutatio is on the north most corner of Medeis, and it is used exclusively for trade with other nations.

Foreign Policy: Besides trade, Medeis tends to keep out of global politics as much as possible. However, they are very respectful of Equestria, and of the alicorn princesses.

History: Medeis was founded by a powerful unicorn that went by the name Lord Venenifer. He was a cruel tyrant, who ruled over his people with an iron fist. He ruled the land from his underground labyrinth for hundreds of years until he eventually died of old age. When he died, it left a large vacuum of power which threatened to throw the entire nation into civil war. The most powerful unicorns in the land then convened to discuss what should be done to keep the country together. From this meeting came the basis of the current government. The first High Magi was determined by the first ever competition, and the land remained whole. But the peace did not last long. In these times, earth ponies were treated as little more than slaves. The earth ponies begin demanding more rights and threatened a rebellion if their demands were not met. Unwilling to risk an open rebellion, the High Magi of the time begrudgingly agreed to allow earth ponies more freedom. He allowed them a say in the government by making the rank of High Magi an elected position, and gave them almost all the same rights as unicorns. This prevented a rebellion, but it did not fully disperse the tension between the two races.

Quality of Life: Most ponies make enough money to live comfortably, and are easily able to afford the basic necessities needed for a healthy life. Earth ponies especially are rather wealthy, weather then even the unicorns, as the earth ponies operate and own almost all the gem mines.    

Military Power: There are two branches of the military, the Home Guard and the War Wizards. The Home Guard is mostly comprised of earth ponies and a few diamond dogs. In times of peace they act as a police force, but may be called out to fight in a war. They are at all times equipped with full plate armor and their favored tactic is to rush headlong into the enemy, trusting their armor to protect them, and then tackle the enemy to the ground where they will then proceed to beat their foe into submission using their metal clad hooves. The other branch of the military, the War Wizards, is made up entirely of unicorns. War Wizards are well known for their signature weapons, the telum. Telum are a collection of small to medium sized sharp metal spikes, which are contained in a small pouch that the War Wizard always carries with them. In combat these spikes are whipped about using telekinesis, and can eviscerate unarmored or lightly armored opponents in seconds.  Unfortunately, telum aren’t very effective against armored opponents, as the metal spikes have trouble penetrating armor. War Wizards do have offensive magic, but they generally prefer to use their telum in combat, as all but the most powerful unicorns can only use a few offensive spells before tiring out. They don’t wear any armor in combat, as they prefer to remain mobile. 

Firehearted, just edit that in and I guess it will be okay.

Note to self, Add Wolven Empire to the Nation info sheet.

Medeis is acceptable. I need to remember to add it as well lol.

So these two will be added (Eventually):

Wolven Empire

Medeis

And Firehearted will be added once proper changes have been made. : )

Ok, here is my character and National leader. I'm currently setting up my nation and am going to read everyone else's info so I have the full scoop. http://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/kaiser-magnum-howitzer-r7885

If there isn't one already, might I suggest we create a map so we can have a visual representation of this and can see the changes in borders over time?

Thats the politics thread, only leaders and nations participate in it

For the map, we had someone that offered to make one for us but I think they are too busy. If anyone is willing to draw one or something, feel free to submit it here and I'll post it up, if it matches up. Interesting character, but keep in mind to have medieval-esque type weaponry up to the gunpowder era (Not past it) Cannons and muskets and such. If you can come up with creative weaponry/vehicles, feel free to include them. I'd like more for your nation leader's personality, but I feel like it has a proper balance despite the lack of wording, So character is accepted, SharpWit. (P.S. I am German, no pressure XD)

Firehearted, your nation should be Okay. So I have to add:

Wolven

Medeis

Firehearted's nation and OC's (If I forgot to put them in already x.x)

For the map, we had someone that offered to make one for us but I think they are too busy. If anyone is willing to draw one or something, feel free to submit it here and I'll post it up, if it matches up. Interesting character, but keep in mind to have medieval-esque type weaponry up to the gunpowder era (Not past it) Cannons and muskets and such. If you can come up with creative weaponry/vehicles, feel free to include them. I'd like more for your nation leader's personality, but I feel like it has a proper balance despite the lack of wording, So character is accepted, SharpWit. (P.S. I am German, no pressure XD)
I'll mess around with a map of the world. I'll need some specifications with all of these northern nations. Russia is easily dived into three parts, then there's Greenland, and Canada will be interesting. After reading through everything I think it's safe to say that Equestria is no longer actually around. And if it is it has lost a lot of territory. Weaponry I can work with and I'll add some more personality. Should be done with my nation by tonight pacific time. Felt  I should contribute something Germanic with the 100th anniversary coming up.  :icwudt:

Personality updated.

Personality: His position and birth right, are responsible for him having high expectations of others, which leads him to becoming impatient quite easily. He is known to react very strongly and take action with out consolidation for even simple matters. He also does not seek the advice of others, fearing that it would make him appear as weak. If he were hammering a screw and someone were to tell him that he has to use a drill instead, he'd denounce them. But if nothing were said he would have quickly come to the realization that he requires a drill for the task. He might listen if it were advised he use a nail, but few have learned how they need to say things to him, so most say nothing so as not to lose there difficultly obtained status and/or career to be working with the kaiser. He is also over-confident and so sure of himself to the point where one might mutter that he is a mad egomaniac under there breath. A romantic idealist desperate for success, he is willing to do almost anything to get what he wants. This sometimes includes sacrificing others, but in his heart, he puts his country and his subjects as a whole first when they are in jeopardy. He enjoys being the center of attention to some extent, and does so when trying to leave a good impression in a way that suggests that he is someone you want on your side. When around those he does not care to affiliate with he does something similar, only to make himself seem as someone not to be trifled with.

It's not that equestria and the crystal empire don't exist, it is that no one has claimed them yet. They are canon nations and can be claimed if somebrony would make a sheet for em and want to RP as them. Likewise the characters from Equestria and the crystal empire can be claimed. (Rainbow Dash, Twi, AJ, Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Shining armor, etc.) Just nopony has claimed them.

• Brohoof 1

It's not that equestria and the crystal empire don't exist, it is that no one has claimed them yet. They are canon nations and can be claimed if somebrony would make a sheet for em and want to RP as them. Likewise the characters from Equestria and the crystal empire can be claimed. (Rainbow Dash, Twi, AJ, Celestia, Luna, Cadence, Shining armor, etc.) Just nopony has claimed them.

Well it looks like Pegasonia claimed Cloudsdale and Ponyville, because BlackFire lived there until flying away when her parents were killed by raiders, and afterwards she inherited her father's empire, and SilentFlight was in Ponyville but moved to Cloudsdale when she befriended BlackFire, and the Pegasonia has a ground establishment for ground bound ponies to farm for them, but the nearest place to Cloudsdale like that is Ponyville, so I'm assuming that's what it is but it could be a newly built place, and  Iris wind is apparently friends with Rainbow Dash and living in Ponyville, while being the leader of the Wolven Empire which she was chased out of so she's not actually it's leader even if that position is rightfully hers according to their customs, but Ponyville still has the main six living in it, which means that if it is under Pegasonian control that they committed treason which makes absolutely no sense, but if Ponyville isn't under Pegasonian control, then Cloudsdale seceded and that would cause a civil war in Equestria, which Cloudsdale can understandably win if the Royal sisters don't get involved. I think there was another land claim or two that raise some issues of Equestrian territory. So,,, do we go forward with this or are some changes going to be made? :huh:

@@arkman575

@@SilentFlight

Edited by SharpWit

I haven't quite finished my nation yet, but I was wondering, what will we do with the unclaimed nations near ours? because i understand being able to ignore a continent, or even most of one, but say we have an unclaimed nation between 2 others. would that unclaimed on get divided between them, or do we set them up as neutral, and of course to take them you would have to expend some of your resources but how do we determine an unclaimed nation's military strength? Should we have a set standard for how strong all unclaimed nations are and ignore the continents that no one occupies?

First of all,  Blackfire and Silentflight haven't even been accepted/approved. Second, If you have been paying attention me and Wolven discussed the rainbow dash issue and thus rainbow dash is not affiliated with Iris Wind. I don't know about all this pegasonia stuff. I may have just forgotten by accident.

Yes you are allowed to post if your nation has been accepted but hasn't been moved yet. Just look at Arkman. lol.

unclaimed with be neutral. So sorry if you wanted to attack equestria or the crystal empire. Just look over them as non-opposing forces to the rest of the nations, not wanting to aid or hinder anypony until they have been claimed. No dominating of these nations, but they will not hinder nor aid your nation.

First of all,  Blackfire and Silentflight haven't even been accepted/approved. Second, If you have been paying attention me and Wolven discussed the rainbow dash issue and thus rainbow dash is not affiliated with Iris Wind. I don't know about all this pegasonia stuff. I may have just forgotten by accident.
 I've mostly just skimmed this discussion since it's for joining and not the official stuff, but I read the nations and characters that hadn't been approved yet just in case if they are in the future. So since you had already approved Iris Wind I ignored anything else about her on here. Pegasonia is BlackFire's nation. 

unclaimed with be neutral. So sorry if you wanted to attack equestria or the crystal empire. Just look over them as non-opposing forces to the rest of the nations, not wanting to aid or hinder anypony until they have been claimed. No dominating of these nations, but they will not hinder nor aid your nation.
Ok glad that's cleared up. I'd have my nation done tonight but I got in a skype call with my friends and needed to do more research for my nation than I expected. So tomorrow definetly.

@@The Shadow Stallion, Is this still open for slots?

And if it is... by "up to the Gunpowder Age"... does this mean early Gp weapons such as muskets or old cannons are available...and early steam engines/factories? I mean... something like 1700-1840 Europe style of tech... or does it Stick up at pre-1400?

(cuz trains are cannon and stuff... so that kind of tech does exist =p)

Borders of Konyushnia

Raiders....

The twenty-three ponies attacked the undefended border town. Some of the inhabitants had fought back, but the majority were subdued. Those that did fight were summarily killed by the experienced Volund raiders. They made off with a rather large amount of food and water and set several of the village's buildings on fire. 20% of the survivors of the raid were taken as slaves. The rest of the population was released as the raiders left in their air longship for Volund.

Attack on Konyushnia:

Konyushnian Small Village, Undefended

Raiders: Suffering from very light injuries, barely scratches.

Villagers: 10% resisted and killed, 20% taken as slaves, 70% survived

Village: Sacked, 45% of village burned to the ground.

Very small food resource gain for Volund, Very small food resource loss for Konyushnia.

I didn't realize you could kill off my villagers just like that.

Yes trains and stuff will be allowed.

This is a light raid, its not attacking any major city of anything like that. Undefended border town, probably 50 villagers max (That adds up to about 5 being killed and 10 being captured. With 35 survivors that will probably send a messenger to you to deal with these raids). This was more to draw you into getting involved into RPing with/against my nation.

Im confused by your character. Perhaps do some Grammar and spelling checks?

I take it your monarch is like King Richard the Lionheart of England. Where he only cares about his war and not so much the people?

Its 6am... Spelling check... Ouch... Thatll be a challenge

I was thinking fredrick the great of prussia, but yeah... More or less =o

Wow... Just realized what nonsense i wrote... Edited... should be better now

Sorry ^.^" Didn't mean to offend.

Hm, will need to look up Fredrick sometime. My history expertise lies in Scandinavia, England, Japan, and well... The crusades. Mixed with pirateering stuff.... (I have a lot of random history knowledge lol)

I wasnt offended... It was badly written... Rushed it =p

He was the ruler of prussia(state in present- day germany) in the 1740s or so... Millitary history all the way <3

I also planned on basing the nation on Prussia