Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning MLP Nations; Peace, Trade and War [OOC, Discuss, War, Dark, Politics, Adventure]

The Shadow Stallion

@@The Shadow Stallion, Hey,,, so my nation which I've been working on for the past 5 days, which should have been done already but my computer shut down when it was open at one point and that deleted a fair chunk, so I've been working on retyping that and finishing up, but it seems that the whole document is has made itself invisible. I opened it up to see nothing but white. I can highlight where it should be, indicating that it's still there, but instead of text there is only emptiness. By now you've probably guessed that, that means I'll be retyping this which has it's ups and downs. I spent a lot of time on this and made it worthy of a long Wikipedia article, so I'm pissed that it's gone. However the length and detail that went into it would have taken up a fair chunk of your time. So now I'm going to retype it with the bare minimum. It won't be as nice, but it will be manageable. My biggest concern is whether I can remember the lyrics to the anthems.

@@The Shadow Stallion, Hey,,, so my nation which I've been working on for the past 5 days, which should have been done already but my computer shut down when it was open at one point and that deleted a fair chunk, so I've been working on retyping that and finishing up, but it seems that the whole document is has made itself invisible. I opened it up to see nothing but white. I can highlight where it should be, indicating that it's still there, but instead of text there is only emptiness. By now you've probably guessed that, that means I'll be retyping this which has it's ups and downs. I spent a lot of time on this and made it worthy of a long Wikipedia article, so I'm pissed that it's gone. However the length and detail that went into it would have taken up a fair chunk of your time. So now I'm going to retype it with the bare minimum. It won't be as nice, but it will be manageable. My biggest concern is whether I can remember the lyrics to the anthems.

Cant u change font colour? Or Copy-paste it somewhere else?

ps. i just put a song... so no lyrics =p

Cant u change font colour? Or Copy-paste it somewhere else? ps. i just put a song... so no lyrics =p
Nope. I've looked up the problem and tried everything recommended. It's apparently a somewhat common problem with wordpad. So I'm restarting. And If I'm going to have an anthem for my nation, it's going to have mostly original lyrics.

So my population isn't off, and even if I did go with Napoleonic population, I would still be at 25 million.

Well, SteelStallion still says million so maybe we shoul, you know...Stick to the rukes =p 

Well, it's not explicitly defined as a rule. Going through the rules sheet, there's nothing in there that says, "your country's population cannot exceed 1 million." The only ways I can see that happening is if a] that rule is added or b] one of the mods uses rule 7 and makes it an implied rule.

Oh horseapples, I just gave them ideas...

Edited by skbl17

Well, SteelStallion still says million so maybe we shoul, you know...Stick to the rukes =p 

Of course, that was just my response to you saying 35 million is a bit much for a country's population back then. 

Well, it's not explicitly defined as a rule. Going through the rules sheet, there's nothing in there that says, "your country's population cannot exceed 1 million." The only ways I can see that happening is if a] that rule is added or b] one of the mods uses rule 7 and makes it an implied rule.

Oh horseapples, I just gave them ideas...

I seriously hope we're not so limited. If a nation's military exceeds 10% of the population, you'll start experiencing some problems, and if our forces can only reach 100,000 strong and still be efficient then you can only fight like 4 large battles before you're out. Sure our military can go up to 300,000, but that many soldiers for a small population, means that unless you're very wealthy, or subject your own or others to slave labor, you're probably screwed. 10 million I can at least attempt full scale war without absolute hit or miss.

Edited by SharpWit

Of course, that was just my response to you saying 35 million is a bit much for a country's population back then.

I seriously hope we're not so limited. If a nation's military exceeds 10% of the population, you'll start experiencing some problems, and if our forces can only reach 100,000 strong and still be efficient then you can only fight like 4 large battles before you're out. Sure our military can go up to 300,000, but that many soldiers for a small population, means that unless you're very wealthy, or subject your own or others to slave labor, you're probably screwed. 10 million I can at least attempt full scale war without absolute hit or miss.

Yeah i know... I mean my plan was a pop of 26 mil with 470k troops... But it seems that doesnt work. I mean for and 100k army u need at least 6mil population to have a proper ratio...

And i had all the numbers ready for a 26mil nation -_-

I mean15% of my nation is in the millitary XD

Yeah i know... I mean my plan was a pop of 26 mil with 470k troops... But it seems that doesnt work. I mean for and 100k army u need at least 6mil population to have a proper ratio... And i had all the numbers ready for a 26mil nation I mean15% of my nation is in the millitary XD
Ah, but did you have the numbers for the economic variables of your nation? My total number of troops including reserve was 4,250,000, with a sufficient number of men in the general public that could replace those lost in battle unless I were to go to war with everyone. So in a defensive war after 10 mil deaths, I'd be out of the game as far military might. I'm going to need at least a population of 10 mil or some serious coalitions to get any real progress.

Ah, but did you have the numbers for the economic variables of your nation? My total number of troops including reserve was 4,250,000, with a sufficient number of men in the general public that could replace those lost in battle unless I were to go to war with everyone. So in a defensive war after 10 mil deaths, I'd be out of the game as far military might. I'm going to need at least a population of 10 mil or some serious coalitions to get any real progress.

I had a lot if stats worked out... Percentage of population that is rural also how many farmers, craftsmen, etc. the percentages for the poor strata/ middle strata and high. The amount of reserves and the amount of population that could be conscripted in case of total war. Had a distribution of pop along provinces and in the major cities. As well.

(Sorry for typos... Mobile)

Amberdust, I did give you a forewarning post in the RP of an attack. You didn't respond to it so I proceeded with the attack. I'm sorry. However my main reason for the raid wasn't to antagonize you, I just wanted to give you a way to get involved into some of the political RP : )

You warned me? I appreciate that, but How long did you wait for a response? And did you tag me? :o

I had a lot if stats worked out... Percentage of population that is rural also how many farmers, craftsmen, etc. the percentages for the poor strata/ middle strata and high. The amount of reserves and the amount of population that could be conscripted in case of total war. Had a distribution of pop along provinces and in the major cities. As well. (Sorry for typos... Mobile)

I didn't go as far as the distribution of my population since I don't expect my nation to come under fire, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to have in the event of an invasion. 

@@AmberDust, You were not tagged, and the warning was given on Valentine's day which makes it kind of unfair since you might have been busy celebrating the holiday. The attack took place the next day, and the results of the attack were posted after your leader went to bed. Although this gives you no immediate means to know what is happening, you should have taken the responsibility to read everything that had been posted so that you might be more aware of what is going on. Some improvements could be made by both sides. Therefore I suggest that we establish a new rule. If you post anything regarding someone else or their nation, tag or quote them. This will not only make the role player know if anything has happened but will increase the amount of posts, and hopefully speed things along.

Also, where is your nation relevant to the real world? Because Shadow Stallion is based in Scandinavia, and due to the short amount of time his raid took, that leads me to assume you are located in what would be western Russia, or an area in east Europe. However your location is up to you to decide. If you could inform me as soon as possible of your nation's whereabouts and it's size I would be grateful. Natural borders in the real world, such as mountain ranges, rivers, and lengths of shoreline, would also help exponentially.

Edited by SharpWit

@@AmberDust, You were not tagged, and the warning was given on Valentine's day which makes it kind of unfair since you might have been busy celebrating the holiday. The attack took place the next day, and the results of the attack were posted after your leader went to bed. Although this gives you no immediate means to know what is happening, you should have taken the responsibility to read everything that had been posted so that you might be more aware of what is going on. Some improvements could be made by both sides. Therefore I suggest that we establish a new rule. If you post anything regarding someone else or their nation, tag or quote them. This will not only make the role player know if anything has happened but will increase the amount of posts, and hopefully speed things along.

Also, where is your nation relevant to the real world? Because Shadow Stallion is based in Scandinavia, and due to the short amount of time his raid took, that leads me to assume you are located in what would be western Russia, or an area in east Europe. However your location is up to you to decide. If you could inform me as soon as possible of your nation's whereabouts and it's size I would be grateful. Natural borders in the real world, such as mountain ranges, rivers, and lengths of shoreline, would also help exponentially.

Yeah, I worked for eight hours on Valentine's day. ^^" and regarding reading up on everyone else's post, I figured that if I'm not tagged/quoted, it doesnt regard me or my nation and my character wouldn't hear about if anyways. Its really a lot of text to wade through...

Where is my nation?

Again, this place is based off of Russia. It's big. It's in the far North. It's been in a lot of nasty fights and has gained a reputation as a military powerhouse. This is a nation that others are scared of and fail to trust...that's my main issue with the invasion. As they say...you don't mess with mother Russia Konyushniya. ;)

Yeah, I worked for eight hours on Valentine's day. ^^" and regarding reading up on everyone else's post, I figured that if I'm not tagged/quoted, it doesnt regard me or my nation and my character wouldn't hear about if anyways. Its really a lot of text to wade through... Where is my nation? Again, this place is based off of Russia. It's big. It's in the far North. It's been in a lot of nasty fights and has gained a reputation as a military powerhouse. This is a nation that others are scared of and fail to trust...that's my main issue with the invasion. As they say...you don't mess with mother Russia Konyushniya.
Haha, very nice. But as your nation's leader, it is wise to see if anything as changed among other nations. If you have a resource, and another nation needs it, but haven't asked, you have the opportunity to offer a proposition. Also, several nations evidently are located in the frozen north. I will check with the others so we can determine your actual size. Russia is easily divided into three large regions, so hopefully a compromise can be quickly made.

So much writing.... First I think Lordav your nation is okay, but way too many numbers for me x.x

SharpWit. You shouldn't have to rely on numbers to win wars. Quality over Quantity. That might be the way I'm going to have to balance it. You want more troops and population, your military might have to be weaker to compensate. Also this isn't based off earth geography. With so many nations saying "North North North." Quite frankly I could attack just about any nation right now, because everyone is in the North apparently x.x

As for the attack, I'm sorry that I didn't tag you, but I also thought you should have read through the posts. Also, you can't assume other nations will be afraid of your nation. That is an arrogant notion. None of the nations even KNOW of each other. That means they have no relations and don't even really know of your nation's history.

So much writing.... First I think Lordav your nation is okay, but way too many numbers for me x.x

SharpWit. You shouldn't have to rely on numbers to win wars. Quality over Quantity. That might be the way I'm going to have to balance it. You want more troops and population, your military might have to be weaker to compensate. Also this isn't based off earth geography. With so many nations saying "North North North." Quite frankly I could attack just about any nation right now, because everyone is in the North apparently x.x

As for the attack, I'm sorry that I didn't tag you, but I also thought you should have read through the posts. Also, you can't assume other nations will be afraid of your nation. That is an arrogant notion. None of the nations even KNOW of each other. That means they have no relations and don't even really know of your nation's history.

Again you fail to tag or quote. You can't expect ever member to read every post in this enormous thread! ^^'

My nation can't have a reputation? Is this the beginning of time or something? :P

But seriously, I don't think it's arrogant at all. It's just common sense that this would happen considering my nation's backstory...

In fact, I think I mentioned this intomidating air in the profile for my nation, which you approved. o_o Right?

I'm not asking you to undo the raid, I just want you to know for future reference.

And if it bothers you that all the nations are "Northern", you can can always request the users change it. Or, you can post an official map to show what's already taken. :)

-sighs- Honestly this is all becoming a real hassle for me guys. Im pretty sure I bit off more then I could chew and this whole RP is actually stressing me out. I might just transfer leadership or even shut it down. I thought this entire thing would be easier. I've been literally getting headaches trying to manage this, debat this and that and ugh Its just awful. I expected this to be...different. No final decisions, but I'm just telling you I'm under a lot of pressure right now x.x

• Brohoof 1

I don't rely on numbers to win wars. I rely on numbers to fight in them. I think you fail to understand that a nation can't maintain conflict if it doesn't have enough men to fight. Any nation that chooses to attack risks losing it's entire military. Any nation that has to defend will only be able to for so long with numbers these low. Only small attacks will be possible, and a skirmish will get you nowhere in any world.

And is it so bad that you have access to all of these other nations? If you were raid only one it would focus on stopping you. But with several that are pitted against each other, they'll be distracting themselves while you plunder their borders. This also opens up to so many trade possibilities and although without currently defined borders it's tricky, it will make this RP all the more interesting.

Equestria is based off the United States of America. Now I could draw up a map of what the world of MLP looks like since I've been given all the (rather poor) data needed, but that would take up all of my time and using something we know the show has basis on, is just so much easier. At the same time, the largest 2 countries on earth are in the north, so equal division of land isn't actually all that hard.

-sighs- Honestly this is all becoming a real hassle for me guys. Im pretty sure I bit off more then I could chew and this whole RP is actually stressing me out. I might just transfer leadership or even shut it down. I thought this entire thing would be easier. I've been literally getting headaches trying to manage this, debat this and that and ugh Its just awful. I expected this to be...different. No final decisions, but I'm just telling you I'm under a lot of pressure right now x.x

It's not easy being king. If you can't handle it just pass it on.

Again you fail to tag or quote. You can't expect ever member to read every post in this enormous thread! ^^'
My nation can't have a reputation? Is this the beginning of time or something? :P
But seriously, I don't think it's arrogant at all. It's just common sense that this would happen considering my nation's backstory...
In fact, I think I mentioned this intomidating air in the profile for my nation, which you approved. o_o Right?
I'm not asking you to undo the raid, I just want you to know for future reference.
And if it bothers you that all the nations are "Northern", you can can always request the users change it. Or, you can post an official map to show what's already taken. :)

You can say that you have a reputation, but until you prove yourself to be a formidable force, you're just another opportunity for others. Also, few are likely to know that you have a reputation, since probably the others, just as you have, have not read everything since they think it doesn't concern them. Learn who is to be trusted, learn who has what you want, learn who wants what you've got, and learn who to revere.

I would "Pass on the crown" so to speak if I could, but since no one, but a staff member could edit my posts it makes this very tricky. If someone wanted they could copy & paste everything I have down and put it into a new thread, I guess that could work, but I'm wondering if anyone wants to take up this mantle.

Also Equestria is based not solely on the U.S. There is quite a bit of British Influence in it, mainly the fact that Equestria is a monarchy, not a democracy.

Need I tell you the story of the 300, or the battle of Marathon. Battle of Hastings, Battle of Agincourt. Many of these battles were just skirmishes, but they have decided the fates of nations. I understand you need numbers to continue to have a military, but the thing is, who is keeping track of numbers here? This whole RP just gets overcomplicated by the use of numbers. I might as well design a video game to do this rather than a RP on a forum. If you start applying numbers to civilian and Military population I might as well make resource numbers and give each nation so many things per day etc. etc. etc. You see, the whole thing gets overcomplicated with the addition of numbers. This is one of my main stressors right now x.x

(i initially wanted to put more =p)

Should i cut some out =o 

Mayve you could try getting a co. I somebody guy that can answer Qs/approve...but U'll Still have to edit the post tho =p

And is it so bad that you have access to all of these other nations? If you were raid only one it would focus on stopping you. But with several that are pitted against each other, they'll be distracting themselves while you plunder their borders. This also opens up to so many trade possibilities and although without currently defined borders it's tricky, it will make this RP all the more interesting.

We Might have some borders soon ^^

I would "Pass on the crown" so to speak if I could, but since no one, but a staff member could edit my posts it makes this very tricky. If someone wanted they could copy & paste everything I have down and put it into a new thread, I guess that could work, but I'm wondering if anyone wants to take up this mantle.
I'd take it up since I have the time, but only if you don't want to keep it. And I see no reason to edit your posts. Just continue with what we've been doing and it should be fine. The thread has changed over time. 

Also Equestria is based not solely on the U.S. There is quite a bit of British Influence in it, mainly the fact that Equestria is a monarchy, not a democracy.

We're talking about location only though, not culture. At the same time, Equestria contains at least what would be the southern half of Canada, which was very influenced by the British with remaining a colony and all for so long.

Need I tell you the story of the 300, or the battle of Marathon. Battle of Hastings, Battle of Agincourt. Many of these battles were just skirmishes, but they have decided the fates of nations. I understand you need numbers to continue to have a military, but the thing is, who is keeping track of numbers here? This whole RP just gets overcomplicated by the use of numbers. I might as well design a video game to do this rather than a RP on a forum. If you start applying numbers to civilian and Military population I might as well make resource numbers and give each nation so many things per day etc. etc. etc. You see, the whole thing gets overcomplicated with the addition of numbers. This is one of my main stressors right now x.x
The battle of 300(Thermopylae) was 300 Spartans and around 700 Greeks, in a tight space against a Persian force of between 100-150 thousand which resulted in a 2 day delay, the death of one of 2 Spartan kings, whom had the chance to escape with all of his men, but chose martyrdom instead. This came after Marathon which had 10,000 Athenians, versus 80,000 Persians, Which the was won thanks to location and speed. These are both battles from the same war, and they take place 10 years apart. This is because they had to wait till their were enough men who could fight. This is what will happen will happen in this role play. Battles that don't amount to much, and little progression. This role play won't get very far with city states on a global level. The numbers merely inform others of how much you have, your capabilities, and which areas you can grow and for how long. You give these numbers when you make your nation and they can only change if you do something that would make them change. You keep track of your own numbers and to the more devoted like me,you keep tabs on everyone. You did the same thing when you raided that village.  As for daily, you set yourself up with a rate system. For example, with X amount of workers, I can produce this much Y, which will last me Z long. There's not a whole lot to it. It looks complex, but for the most part you know when you've lost. We're not little kids who say that someone missed at pointblank range, and if somethings up, everyone will know. Numbers mean no surprises.

If it helps I can always make a map on CC3(map making program) with a world based around Equestria. 

I would recommend having a co-GM and perhaps make this RP more focused on Diplomacy/Development of the Nations with random events(and an occassional war thrown in) to make it interesting.

If that's still to much you can always downsize to a single nation far away from Equestria and have us all run political factions. Just some ideas, being a GM/DM is time-consuming and frustrating if you don't know the players beforehand.

Would it help if one of us switched to being a canon nation like Equestria or the Changeling Empire(I assume it's an empire.)?

• Brohoof 1

I don't rely on numbers to win wars. I rely on numbers to fight in them. I think you fail to understand that a nation can't maintain conflict if it doesn't have enough men to fight. Any nation that chooses to attack risks losing it's entire military. Any nation that has to defend will only be able to for so long with numbers these low. Only small attacks will be possible, and a skirmish will get you nowhere in any world.

Equestria is based off the United States of America. Now I could draw up a map of what the world of MLP looks like since I've been given all the (rather poor) data needed, but that would take up all of my time and using something we know the show has basis on, is just so much easier. At the same time, the largest 2 countries on earth are in the north, so equal division of land isn't actually all that hard..

Well... We shouldng base this on earth tho... I mean we can think that 6000v6000 would be taken as a large engagement. We musnt use earth's population as a template... Cuz well... Anoher world. I mean we shouldnt take this so seriously... Just scale down the pop/army/battles... I mean i dont see it as much of a prob =p