Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning MLP Nations; Peace, Trade and War [OOC, Discuss, War, Dark, Politics, Adventure]

The Shadow Stallion

Well... We shouldng base this on earth tho... I mean we can think that 6000v6000 would be taken as a large engagement. We musnt use earth's population as a template... Cuz well... Anoher world. I mean we shouldnt take this so seriously... Just scale down the pop/army/battles... I mean i dont see it as much of a prob =p
Alright, map is fine, but we need population sizes that can support continuing conflict. 6000v6000 could be taken as a fairly large engagement, but I expect to be able to fight at least a dozen or so major battles, and not require that more than 15% of my population be away from home, taking away from productivity rates before my soil has been touched by others. That means a bigger population which permits for a productive society that would allow us to be where we are. So I would say that the absolute max should be 20 million, if you're agriculturally based, and everyone else range between 5 and 15 million.

If you ask me the pops we're dealing with are a bit too small. 6,000 is a tiny number int he big picture. I'm all for small pops and forces but 6,000 is the equivalent to a large army? 

If pops will be the 5 millions to 20 millions those on the high end should be able to field many more troops. Though said before we shouldn't use earth as base I'm doing that for simplicity. 

Switzerland has a population of 8 Million and have a standing military of 140,000. Even those on the low ends should be able to field armies of 100,000. 6,000 makes up 6/100 of a nation's military. 

The Russian Army at the height of WWII was around 25,000,000 men. Stalingrad involved about 1,000,000. Stalingrad is considered "a fairly large battle" and if we consider this 1/25 or 4/100 of the Soviet Army was involved.

So now that I actually have the numbers I guess 6,000 vs 6,000 is a large engagement. Forget I said anything...

Oh, and we getting this along or are we just waiting? I haven't been keep up much with this and been letting it sit so what's the problem.

First two things. If you want to get technical with military you have to also factor in logistics and CnC. (Command and Control.) The time period that we are roughly dealing with in military tech is max at Gunpowder era. You know how hard it is to command large armies when you don't have walkie talkies or headsets or anything like that. How well you can command your forces affects the size that you can commmand on the battlefield. If you can't even relay your orders to 6,000 soldiers how can you expect to command a force of say 1,000,000? (Also Russians only got lucky during WW 2, If winter hadn't saved them Nazi Germany would've steamrolled them off the map.)

Second, I'm thinking of maybe doing a temporary Mod Test. SharpWit, you said you wanted to maybe take over. What about a trial run. From 2/21/15 to 2/28/15? Gives you a week and you get to be a mod and I get to see if you should or should not receive the mantle. While I feel overburdened by the work, I don't feel comfortable leaving power to someone that might abuse it (Not saying you will, just a precautionary trial run is all.) Sound good, SharpWit?

Basically during the time of the trial run I'll just sit back and maybe act as another RPer.

First two things. If you want to get technical with military you have to also factor in logistics and CnC. (Command and Control.) The time period that we are roughly dealing with in military tech is max at Gunpowder era. You know how hard it is to command large armies when you don't have walkie talkies or headsets or anything like that. How well you can command your forces affects the size that you can commmand on the battlefield. If you can't even relay your orders to 6,000 soldiers how can you expect to command a force of say 1,000,000? (Also Russians only got lucky during WW 2, If winter hadn't saved them Nazi Germany would've steamrolled them off the map.)

Second, I'm thinking of maybe doing a temporary Mod Test. SharpWit, you said you wanted to maybe take over. What about a trial run. From 2/21/15 to 2/28/15? Gives you a week and you get to be a mod and I get to see if you should or should not receive the mantle. While I feel overburdened by the work, I don't feel comfortable leaving power to someone that might abuse it (Not saying you will, just a precautionary trial run is all.) Sound good, SharpWit?

Basically during the time of the trial run I'll just sit back and maybe act as another RPer.

That million isn't being used all at once. Most of it is at home or in the case of an all out invasion or defense maneuver, stretched across an area maintaining supply lines, and engaging in corps. Napoleon solved the issue by giving one corp specific orders and the one behind it to provide aide when needed. He had several small armies within two days of each other, and he himself gave traveled with them. Albeit it's risky but that's what Plan B is for. And yes, It would've been a Nazi victory if operation Barbarossa had taken place two months earlier, But Soviet forces I believe would have retreated to Omsk and reestablish themselves there. Never to fully recover of course.

*Salutes* I will do my best sir! I have one question though. Do my duties as temporary Mod include approving other nations for role playing, sir? It is a privilege to take on this honorable position sir!  

@@WindyParadise, Has your character and nation been approved yet?

@, You have been approved.  Sorry that you are  being given notice of this late. You may proceed to role play.  A map has  been made with your location already on it which will be posted later today. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

@@ClockworkMLP, If you wish to role play you must submit your character. If you do not know how, go to the forums role play world, or go to the help section. However no one has been active in the common folk thread so at this time you will not be able to role play with anyone there. However, you may also create a nation and a character that is in charge of that nation if you so choose.

@@Derplight Sperkle, You have not been active for sometime now. Do you intend to keep role playing? Your nation will remain as neutral for now, since you have not interacted with anyone outside of your nation yet. I urge that you decide soon, since you occupy land that could be used by others.

@@arkman575, You have been inactive for some time now. Are you still role playing? If not your nation will become neutral. 

@@SilentFlight, I am unaware or all of your character changes that you've made after discussions with Shadow Stallion. If he has approved your characters, then you may proceed role playing. A map has been created and you may choose where your nation be. If you haven't been approved, please inform me of the changes you've made to your characters, If you still want to role play and proceed.

Edited by SharpWit

My characters did require editting but I couldn't make them to the actual characters sue to I use them in vast RP. But I did make a history/personality to change due to there history in the character archive not being accurate for this RP so this is what I sent Shadow stallion with me editing what I needed to fix

Blackfire

History: As a child she was spoiled by her father and it was simple as that. Her father was the leader of pegasonia and she knew when her father passed she would have to take up the job. When she was only 16 her father had died due to an illness and she had to step up to the job. (forgot to mention her mom died during labor) and has been leader since then. She is now 20years old and still single and running the nation

Personality:overconfident,proud which leads her to not listening to her advisors and make wrong decisions. Hard to be friend with and is always expecting the highest of respect.not keen on making wise decisions when it comes to resources and negotiations but an excellent strategist when it comes to combat

SilentFlight

History:born in pegasonia within the upper class society of the Pegasus race due to her dad being a high ranking officer in the military. Her mother died of a sickness a year after she was born and was then raised by her father whenever he was home until he had gone on a raid mission on one of the neighboring nations and was ambushed on the way there and executed when she was 10. After that she had to go and live in the orphanage and still will until turn eighteen. She is currently 17 and starting her senior year of high school. She has learned to have sympathy for the earth and unicorn ponys in much harsher conditions down below that she occasionally visits them secretly and has even made friends with some of the pony's below. She doesn't like Blackfires dictatorship and wishes to do something about it but is to shy and scared to rally supporters.

Personality:shy but a good friend once you get to know her. Wish to speak her voice and has a lot to say but to scared most of the time to get it out.she feels sympathy for all of those under her and wants to help

This is what I have if my characters are approved I will start RPing because you already have my nation sheet and stuff

Has your character and nation been approved yet?

Not yet, I decided to redesign my government after talking about it with Shadow. Before anything else was discussed he switched Modhood to you.

As such I believe that you get to decide if my nation is submitted now.

I had originally planned to have a Council of 6 ponies ruling my nation, but that would require a lot of character management/jumping. lol

Also where is this map you mentioned?

Edited by WindyParadise

@@WindyParadise, Well I think that you can still have your council. You only need to submit your Nation leader or whoever you'll role play as most. When you switch to a council member for the first time, just give a short description and you should be fine since I'd probably be the only one to check them out. Just clarify who you are when you do so if you wish to keep it. Also don't forget to finish your nation's info, and I know that you have a developing military, but compared to the smallest nation on here as of now, you're microscopic in comparison of military power.

@@WindyParadise, Well I think that you can still have your council. You only need to submit your Nation leader or whoever you'll role play as most. When you switch to a council member for the first time, just give a short description and you should be fine since I'd probably be the only one to check them out. Just clarify who you are when you do so if you wish to keep it. Also don't forget to finish your nation's info, and I know that you have a developing military, but compared to the smallest nation on here as of now, you're microscopic in comparison of military power.

True, I should adjust my population a bit even if I'm a recently founded nation. I'm not planning to be a major military player in the game however, just an economic and political one if I can manage it.  :squee:

I like the idea of the Council having an active(if minor) role in my nation though, I think I'll use it now and then; you're welcome to use them for events. What else am I missing in my Nation Info? I thought I covered everything(excluding population).

Edited by WindyParadise

@@WindyParadise, Did you go back and edit your original submission so it had all of the info instead of posting what had been missing?

That's what I've been doing so far.  

I was supposed to do it that way right?  :P

Edit: I just finished changing the Guard numbers for example.

Edited by WindyParadise

@@WindyParadise,  Well I would have no way of knowing unless you told me that you went back and did that. lol. Your nation is approved. Now just submit your leader and you'll be good to go.

:adorkable: I guess it would be hard to tell after a while. My Leader link is on my nation, it should be the only blue link there.

I was adjusting some political things before I'm finished with my nation, it's under the Ruler's and Respective Titles: and Quality of Life: parts. For population and Election stuff mostly.

@@SilentFlight, Your characters are approved, however No one else has submitted anyone into common folk, so  Silent Flight will be all by her lonesome unless she becomes an active rebel or asks for International assistance. Your nation still needs two scarce resources, foreign policy, history, quality of life, and military power. You may also include an anthem and a song of war. If you need help or have any questions, just ask.

@@WindyParadise, Your Character is approved. With the numbers you gave me for the official guards though, you're saying that all but around 2000 ponies aren't in the military, when your total population should be around a quarter of a million. If you fix that, you'll be approved. Tomorrow I'll post the map and you can choose your location. 

@@Lordav, Almost. I've got Quality of Life and Military Power to finish. I've already put myself on the map. Just need to get done and post everything. Will definitely be sometime tomorrow.

post-21192-0-00672900-1424761090_thumb.png

I'm Abendstern

Edited by SharpWit

@@Firehearted

Btw.. i dont think we have proper rifles yet... The main firearm used seems to be a musket... flintlock mechanism

fd1054.gif

I mean at the time there were rifles.... but a LOT slower to reload as they were just invented and had no bayonets... used by Linght infantry, skirmishers and jagers

S217b.jpg

I mean there are no rifles the way you tink of them.... i mean these didnt exist...fire too fast...

REL%2F19485.JPG

a musket/rifle could fire max 3 times per minute...if it was used by an elite soldier.... regulars would prob get 1-2 shots per minute and recruits...prob one.