Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Freedoms you'd be willing to fight for?

CosmicHooves

If there was any freedoms that you'd be willing to fight for, what would they be?

Me?

First off, freedom of belief. (freedom of religion/atheism)

Why didn't I start off with "freedom of speech"?

Because taking away one's freedom of belief would be a complete and utter violation of human rights of the greatest extent.

Taking away the freedom would be literally trying to control what another person thinks.

In other words, if you think either religion should be outlawed or one religion should be dominant over all beliefs, we're going to have serious problems.

I simply refuse to tolerate people who think their belief system is more dominant than all others.

Whether you're atheist or religious, I will not, I repeat, I WILL NOT tolerate you if you think that your belief system should be the only one that should be allowed in society and that all other beliefs should be outlawed.

There are people on this very site who have this mindset and it truly scares me.

The other would be freedom of speech.

There should be no boundries to this freedom. And taking it away, again, would be a violation of human rights.

Edited by Emerald Starlight
  • Brohoof 5

Freedom of speech and belief, definitely. But most importantly: thought. There is nothing more private than ones own mind, so attempting to violate freedom of thought is one of the most repulsive crimes a government can do.

• Brohoof 4

Freedom of thought, so that what you are can be developed and restrained by your own will, and not that of others.

Freedom of belief, so that everyone's world- whatever they believe it to be- can be respected and acknowledged as a viewpoint just as subjective as our own.

Freedom of speech, so that what you are can be given form in the world and mingle with all the different thoughts and perspectives out there- we should not be made to speak lies, nor to speak not at all.

I know these have already been said, but they're way too important for me to leave out. When you read 'Nineteen Eighty-Four', it hurts to think of a world without these freedoms.  :mellow:

• Brohoof 3

The freedom to do whatever you want with your life as long as it doesn't affect anyone else against their will, and the freedom of speech. And I mean complete freedom of speech, if a person wants to be an utterly sexist, racist and homophobic douchebag, so be it.

• Brohoof 5

Freedom of sexuality, gay marriage and stuff like that im lucky enough im living in a place where its okay for me to be bisexual. But it doesent go very well with the freedom of belief :(

Edited by PinkieTheRealMVP
  • Brohoof 2

The freedom of belief is something i hold very near and dear to myself, in fact. Not just religion, political agenda and such, but very opinions. It is in my opinion, that your mind is one of the very first gifts you are given in life, it holds your memories, your knowledge, your experiences and personality. No other entity - whether a living person, a company, or any other - deserves to hold dominion over this treasure.

• Brohoof 2

Freedom to ... wait, actually, I want a restriction that forces people with shitty, harmful beliefs to, y'know, not be able to follow them?

And don't go saying that there's no such thing - there is.

Freedom to ... wait, actually, I want a restriction that forces people with shitty, harmful beliefs to, y'know, not be able to follow them?

And don't go saying that there's no such thing - there is.

Just a minor question.

What are these "restrictions" would you be willing to place on society?

Just a minor question.

What are these "restrictions" would you be willing to place on society?

Dunno mate. I haven't thought this through, it's just an idea. People who believe in killing or discriminating against others due to their race is bad. how to stop that in a decent way? I can't think of any. Force would be needed, which in itself isn't a good thing either.

• Brohoof 1

Maintaining the internet being free from any government control until government actually has good understanding of it.

Freedom of speech/belief/etc unless freedom means that the country will destabilize and the situation of said country becomes worse; I think I would prefer restrictions in that case.

Dude, I'd fight for every freedom I possibly can. I shouldn't have to, but the world isn't fair so I would. I want the freedom to disagree with someone and not worry about being killed. I'd fight for the freedom to not have my gender or the color of my skin dictate my advancement in society. I'd fight for the right to get an education. I'd fight for the right to love whomever I love. I'd fight for the right to vote, and for the right to be treated as a human being no matter my income.

I'd be willing to lay down my life for a lot more freedoms, so I'm thankful every day for what I've got.

Freedom to move anonymously in the Internet.  The day someone says I have to have a license to post any where or have a mail box or have a Website is the day I'll fight to the death. 

The freedom of equality
No one person is above another, it is an illusion propagated by the social standards of the society we live in.
If one thinks himself or herself above another, they are wrong. Whether by religion, social status, or simple illogical thinking.
We are all equal in what we think, act and do. 

Society is an unfortunate creation, but necessary. It is an incredibly simple idea, and technically should work. But humans who have not been educated to think logically rot away this beautiful creation from the inside, leaving the bare bones but lacking the spirit. Society then grew into this horrible thing, while still necessary, unfortunately corrupted.
We would not need to defend our freedoms if it were not for people like this. We would be free, and happy. A leader as socially unimportant and uncorrupted as the rest of us would simply need to keep the world organised and carefree. Instead of what society has grown into, where we have vaguely just, but strict laws, if it was based on trust instead of enforcement, it would be so much nicer.

The actions of one will affect the many, but the many are more important than one.

Random Rant Of Wut

• 2 months later...

Pretty much anything listed in the United States Bill of Rights at minimum. I'm a strong advocate of freedom and personal security.

• Brohoof 1