Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The show then and now. What's different?

PSP (Dizzy)

Talking with individuals about the show, I've found that most of them seem to believe the show changed in some significant fashion. As for me, yes, things happened to the characters and world, but I don't think that really had an impact on the show or how it was written.

Going back and watching the earlier episodes, I'm honestly not noticing much difference in the show at all. It still places more emphasis on emotions and interpersonal interactions than consistency or story, and there's still brief spouts of world-building or neat plot devices.

The changes look to be mostly inconsequential differences in a show that never really seemed to be about events in the first place, so much as the emotions caused by said events.

But what do you think? How has the show changed, and what did you originally enjoy about the show? Is it still present?

Edited by PSP
  • Brohoof 2

Not all of these will be all that substantial, just making an off-the-top-of-my-head list.

In season 1, Celestia was popping up all the time, in a very personal way. In season 4 she kind of went missing for 23 episodes and no one even noticed.

In season 1, ALL magic was biological, conscious, cast on-the-spot, and was stated to follow rules. The only magical artifacts in the word were the Elements, showcasing just how mysterious and unusual they are. In seasons 3 and 4, there a magic book, magic potions, magic necklaces, magic poems, magic that stays around after the one who instigated it is gone, etc. etc.

In season 1, Dash was a badass. Remember all those tricks? How she would practice daring and flashy tricks in order to prove herself to the Wonderbolts? When was the last time we saw her doing a trick?

In season 1, fighting, whenever attempted, would never ever help the good guys. Against literally dozens of monsters and beasts and villains, they never succeed through fighting. In season 4, they fight every few episodes to resolve the conflict.

Similarly, season 1: No lasers. Season 4: Lasers everywhere!

In season 1, Pinkie was hilarious because she excels in the scenes where the story simply takes a break and the characters just talk to each other, which is the sort of special something that drew a lot of people into the series to begin with.

"What if she exploded... and then she exploded again??"

"She'll become a crazy cat lady! Give her time..."

"ForEVEEER!"

In season 4, her gags are constantly crammed into scenes where they don't belong, making her literally nothing but a huge nuisance that ruins both the flow and the comedy.

She also used to be like, a nice person? Compare her behavior in Griffon the Brush Off with Pinkie Pride and Filli Vanilli. Nowadays she's honestly just a terrible person that doesn't deserve friends.

In season 1, Nightmare Moon vowed to make nighttime eternal but never once threatened her sister. Celestia was forced to choose her people over her own sister and banished her when she could have sat by and done nothing, were she a weaker ruler. In season 4, Nightmare Moon never says a word about eternal night, saying that "My only royal duty now is to destroy you!" before firing death beams at Celestia, making the entire struggle meaningless and the banishment nothing more than Celestia saving her own skin. It's basically like Original Vader vs. Prequel Vader.

And that's not even getting into things like the songs, the stories, the other characters... The writers actually used to respect the audience, you know? Now we get Equestria Girls, writers on Twitter begging people to love their episodes, all the worst stuff.

Is that enough of an explanation?

I loved the amazing worldbuilding, the deep and believable characters, the expectation subverting stories, the great music, and the powerful themes that resonated through the entire first two seasons.

None of those are there anymore.

• Brohoof 9

As the show has gone on, I've felt, especially in Season Four; there have been a bit more adventure/action-y styled episodes, while in earlier seasons, there are a lot more slice-of-life style episodes. For example, episodes like Dragonshy show up a lot less in earlier seasons, while the later seasons have episodes like that (e.g. Magic Duel and Power Ponies). Basically, the earlier seasons focused more on developing characters, and the later seasons, with the already highly developed characters, had a focus on plot lines and Season Four even had an a overarching plot through out the season.

The amount of episodes with an inclusion writing a letter to Princess Celestia about what they learned at the end of the episode has dwindled as the seasons have gone on, and have either not been there at all or have been much more subtle. I personally don't think this is a bad thing, as you get to see the characters learn for themselves and see how much they've grown.

Another difference in the show is the animation which has improved over the course of the show, but looks particularly impressive in Season Four. However, this doesn't have anything to do with the writing, so it's not really a huge change.

• Brohoof 1

Another difference in the show is the animation which has improved over the course of the show, but looks particularly impressive in Season Four. However, this doesn't have anything to do with the writing, so it's not really a huge change.

Am I the only one that doesn't care much for season 4's glaring overuse of fancy lighting effects? Why bother making a world of flat, colorful pastels if you're going to put shading effects on them? :P

Also that goddamn Wilhelm scream...

Well the songs have definitely changed, for one. If you look back, there were more short tunes that you children could sing along to, but nowadays it's almost always a huge musical number. A good portion of the target audience can't keep up! Poor kids.

And the lessons at the end? Hohoho, they've already gone through most of the generic/simple lessons they can come up with, but now the situations and lessons are much more complex. I think that's a great thing, since it managed to teach me a few things just as it did my nephew. The fact that both young children and older generations can learn from it is something that makes MLP stand out, and makes its impressive writing/storytelling shine.

• Brohoof 3

Am I the only one that doesn't care much for season 4's glaring overuse of fancy lighting effects? Why bother making a world of flat, colorful pastels if you're going to put shading effects on them? :P Also that goddamn Wilhelm scream...

Nah, I've seen other people who weren't a fan of them. I personally liked them, and didn't think they were overused; I only remember them being used in situations that were particularly eventful, climatic, or the location allowed for heavy lighting.

Something I've also noticed is that the problems have gotten more complex and relatable, though whether they're relatable obviously depends on who's watching. Still, it's one of the things I'm happiest with about MLP: that it tackles subjects in a way that other children's shows don't.

• Brohoof 1

Oh it most certainly is different.

It's gotten better!

-The animation bump when compared to Season 1 really is significant when you go back and watch it.

-The songs? Consistently good but the amount of orchestra and sheer variety has improved.

-Equestria was never a flat, saccharine environment. However, the creators have continuously expanded upon the seeds that were planted. (Literally in one case.)

-The mythology? This has some of the most unexpected and out of nowhere mythological references I've seen in a kid's program and it almost never turns them into something they're not to downplay the scariness of the threat. (The Windigoes being the exception, but considering what they actually are in Native American myth, I'm glad for the change.)

-The characters? They've definitely changed in both subtle and profound ways. Rainbow Dash is now more patient and willing to listen. Rarity is less self-absorbed (though still just as lovably self aggrandizing).

-The arcs? There are arcs! In season 1, they built up the Grand Galloping Gala seemingly for the purpose that they could incorporate something like that into the show. The trend has continued ever since. Games Ponies Play and Just for Sidekicks even ran through each other! That's a load harder to pull off than it looks.

This show will never be perfect, few ever even come close. One thing can't be doubted though, the creators are invested in this show, they always want to try something new and push the boundaries.

Friendship is Magic is not, and never will be just another cookie cutter cartoon.

• Brohoof 6

Less slice of life episodes and more adventure episodes. Also fewer letters to Celestia, and less of a focus on her in general.

That's all I've noticed, though. To me, it's still the same show with its same charm.

• Brohoof 2

-More adventure theme episodes

-A seasonwide story arc in season 4

-More complex morals with "friendship reports" being less common

-Deus Ex Machina was always in the series but has become very problematic especially in season 4, a problem which will hopefully improve in season 5.

-Certain characters have gotten more character development than earlier in the series with Applejack being one of the ones that comes to mind.

• Brohoof 2

I think the biggest change by far is the increase in action-based plots. We kind of went from the season 1 finale being about a not-so-fun party to the season 4 finale being about saving the world from a soul-sucking monster and shooting laser death beams. This, I think, is an extremely appropriate direction to take, as it shows how the mane six have grown to play a much more important role in the world around them over the course of the series.

There's also the character development, how everyone has been fleshed out and further explored. Again, a very appropriate move, yet one so rarely done as well as it is in FiM.

And of course the improvement in animation. To be expected, since they have much more money now then they did at the start, especially with us bronies throwing it at them :P

Now for a couple of quick comments...

In season 1, fighting, whenever attempted, would never ever help the good guys. Against literally dozens of monsters and beasts and villains, they never succeed through fighting. In season 4, they fight every few episodes to resolve the conflict.

I must say I am rather confused by this. I don't remember fighting ever solving anything in any season. Even the big brawl between Twilight and Tirek didn't solve anything, they just reached an impasse. Things are usually solved through the magic of friendship or love or diplomacy or something

(Also the whole post is making me wonder if the MLP equivalent of Pokemon's "gen-oners" is going to become a fandom subgroup :P)

-The mythology? This has some of the most unexpected and out of nowhere mythological references I've seen in a kid's program and it almost never turns them into something they're not to downplay the scariness of the threat. (The Windigoes being the exception, but considering what they actually are in Native American myth, I'm glad for the change.)

I also very much agree that they were right to change the Windigoes, both because their true mythology is very child-inappropriate and because this way they get to be Windigoes (ba-dum tss)

• Brohoof 2

I also very much agree that they were right to change the Windigoes, both because their true mythology is very child-inappropriate and because this way they get to be Windigoes (ba-dum tss)

Nice to have friends who actually know what my cryptic references actually mean. 

• Brohoof 1

So many people saying "more complex morals", can anyone maybe offer an example?

I must say I am rather confused by this. I don't remember fighting ever solving anything in any season. Even the big brawl between Twilight and Tirek didn't solve anything, they just reached an impasse. Things are usually solved through the magic of friendship or love or diplomacy or something

Daring Don't, Power Ponies, Three's a Crowd, and Somepony to Watch Over Me, along with Princess Twilight Sparkle AND Twilight's Kingdom, all featured fighting as a means to success.

So many people saying "more complex morals", can anyone maybe offer an example?

Daring Don't, Power Ponies, Three's a Crowd, and Somepony to Watch Over Me, along with Princess Twilight Sparkle AND Twilight's Kingdom, all featured fighting as a means to success.

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by fighting. An important theme of MLP is that violence never solves anything, in the sense that you should always try to reach an understanding with someone before resorting to unkind measures (as in the plot of the Babs Seed episode, basically). However, if all you're referring to is punches and kicks, then yes, those episodes did feature fighting. It was just always fighting non-sentient things that could not be dealt with any other way. The cats, the wyrm, the comic book character, the chimera, and the vines were all trained/born/created to attack, kill, or eat ponies, and could obviously not be swayed. However, Tirek, meant to represent a more "human" threat, could only be defeated by the magic of friendship. Actually I find this use of fighting as a theme to be rather fascinating :)

And there being more of this now is really just a part of the fact that there's more adventure and less slice of life storytelling in the later seasons. No one had to fight anything in season one because there was nothing to fight. The only threat presented then was Nightmare Moon, and it's considered pretty unwise to engage an all-powerful being in fisticuffs. Doesn't usually end in your favor :P

I suppose it all boils down to what you prefer in MLP, a mix of slice of life and adventure stories or stories that are all purely slice of life.

As for your request, I suppose I can make this wordy post a bit wordier by offering an example. I wouldn't say that all of the early morals are simple while all of the later ones are complex, but I do see how if you compared Griffon the Brush-Off with Maud Pie, one would be more complex. The first was essentially a story about not stooping to a bully's level, a fairly simple concept and one that's been done before. The second was about finding a way to get along with someone even if you find them especially difficult to understand or find common ground with because you both care deeply about the same person. Both are about dealing with friends of friends, but the second is a more complex lesson.

• Brohoof 1

Perhaps I misunderstood what you meant by fighting. An important theme of MLP is that violence never solves anything, in the sense that you should always try to reach an understanding with someone before resorting to unkind measures (as in the plot of the Babs Seed episode, basically). However, if all you're referring to is punches and kicks, then yes, those episodes did feature fighting. It was just always fighting non-sentient things that could not be dealt with any other way. The cats, the wyrm, the comic book character, the chimera, and the vines were all trained/born/created to attack, kill, or eat ponies, and could obviously not be swayed. However, Tirek, meant to represent a more "human" threat, could only be defeated by the magic of friendship. Actually I find this use of fighting as a theme to be rather fascinating :)

You're contradicting yourself. You're saying that an important theme is that violence solves nothing (I agree) yet sometimes violence is necessary to solve the problem. You can't have it both ways.

No one had to fight anything in season one because there was nothing to fight.

A manticore. A cockatrice. An ursa minor. Two dragons. A hydra. Diamond dogs. Parasprites. Rampaging buffalo. Need I go on?

As for your request, I suppose I can make this wordy post a bit wordier by offering an example. I wouldn't say that all of the early morals are simple while all of the later ones are complex, but I do see how if you compared Griffon the Brush-Off with Maud Pie, one would be more complex. The first was essentially a story about not stooping to a bully's level, a fairly simple concept and one that's been done before. The second was about finding a way to get along with someone even if you find them especially difficult to understand or find common ground with because you both care deeply about the same person. Both are about dealing with friends of friends, but the second is a more complex lesson.

But the moral of Maud Pie is total BS. It's not true. It's so not-complex it's made up.

The main difference I note is the change from a fairly light season 1 to a more...how shall I say...adventurous season 4? Granted Slice of Life will forever be what makes up FiM in general, but it seemed the general stakes have raised a bit since season 1.

Of course that's not a universal thing, BUT that's my observation.

There have been a lot of changes, but not changes so major that the show now is completely different.

The animation has improved a lot. Compare a season 1 episode and a season 4 episode back to back and look for smoothness in movement and attention to detail in the backgrounds.

The writing has gotten more complex and has aged with its audience without losing its heart.

The characters have grown.

The dialogue, voice acting, and situations have become less cringe-worthy.

And the music has become a lot more diverse.

You're contradicting yourself. You're saying that an important theme is that violence solves nothing (I agree) yet sometimes violence is necessary to solve the problem. You can't have it both ways.

It solves nothing unless it's in self defense against something actively lunging at you in an attempt to kill/eat you in that very moment and you literally have no other options, and even then it won't permanently defeat a sentient foe. Probably should have clarified that.

A manticore. A cockatrice. An ursa minor. Two dragons. A hydra. Diamond dogs. Parasprites. Rampaging buffalo. Need I go on?

There were some creative means of dealing with these. Of course trying to hit most of these would have been obviously useless. Despite these though, season 1 still has waaaaaaay more slice of life than season 4, and the later seasons have way more foes (heck, even the opening of season 2 had a whole massive army of them). I suppose it's a matter of opinion, if you liked seeing fewer foes handled in more creative ways or are cool with more foes handled less creatively.

But the moral of Maud Pie is total BS. It's not true. It's so not-complex it's made up.

Perhaps I should've chosen an episode that people are less divided on. I know some people didn't like the moral, personally I liked it despite some faults in execution, but the ins and outs of it can be discussed on a thread where that's more on topic. Let's go with Dragonshy vs. Filli Vanilli instead, since they both deal with Fluttershy's shyness. The first was just about being brave when you have to, while the second was about working on overcoming obstacles to get to where you want to go, and also acknowledged that obstacles aren't overcome all at once.

I should probably mention that I don't consider "more adventurous" or "more complicated morals" to mean "better". I think every season is really impressive, and I love episodes of MLP regardless of whether they're more laid-back or more exciting :D

• Brohoof 1

It solves nothing unless it's in self defense against something actively lunging at you in an attempt to kill/eat you in that very moment and you literally have no other options, and even then it won't permanently defeat a sentient foe. Probably should have clarified that.

Irrelevant, the first season did it the right way so trying to defend the combat later is pointless. They ran if they had to.

There were some creative means of dealing with these. Of course trying to hit most of these would have been obviously useless. Despite these though, season 1 still has waaaaaaay more slice of life than season 4, and the later seasons have way more foes (heck, even the opening of season 2 had a whole massive army of them). I suppose it's a matter of opinion, if you liked seeing fewer foes handled in more creative ways or are cool with more foes handled less creatively.

I think sacrificing creativity is literally the worst thing this show can do (and has done).

Perhaps I should've chosen an episode that people are less divided on. I know some people didn't like the moral, personally I liked it despite some faults in execution, but the ins and outs of it can be discussed on a thread where that's more on topic. Let's go with Dragonshy vs. Filli Vanilli instead, since they both deal with Fluttershy's shyness. The first was just about being brave when you have to, while the second was about working on overcoming obstacles to get to where you want to go, and also acknowledged that obstacles aren't overcome all at once.

That wasn't the moral of Dragonshy, it was that sometimes your most unexpected friends can surprise you and pull through (remember this was still Twilight learning everything). Fluttershy didn't learn or develop in that one, she came out exactly as she went in. And as much crap as Fluttershy gets for constantly having to learn not to be shy (which I disagree with), the moral of Filli Vanilli literally is "Don't be shy". I kinda despise that episode for quite a few reasons, and the crappy moral doesn't help.

Basically, the plots have become much more developed and complicated. In the first season the plots were mostly just everyday things. Now alicorn Twilight Sparkle is a huge part of the show along with the Canterlot royals. But then most shows get stronger as they go on.

• Brohoof 1

@@Dulset Tarn,

You asked, I answered. If you refuse to believe or accept my answers, then that's your opinion (even if in my opinion you are totally missing the point of Filli Vanilli). It is all an opinion though. I like season four. I do, I love it and think it's fantastic, except for Daring Don't which I hated but that's a rant for another thread. If you hate every season but the first one, that's cool. You like what you like, I'll like what I like, and we'll watch our candy-colored ponies in harmony and mutual tolerance. 

(As long as you don't diss Fluttershy...)

• Brohoof 1

@@Dulset Tarn,

You asked, I answered. If you refuse to believe or accept my answers, then that's your opinion (even if in my opinion you are totally missing the point of Filli Vanilli). It is all an opinion though. I like season four. I do, I love it and think it's fantastic, except for Daring Don't which I hated but that's a rant for another thread. If you hate every season but the first one, that's cool. You like what you like, I'll like what I like, and we'll watch our candy-colored ponies in harmony and mutual tolerance. 

(As long as you don't diss Fluttershy...)

Well, if you've already agreed that they sacrifice creativity and the theme of non-violence to make flashy battles a thing, then I guess there isn't much to argue about anyway.

It's definitely changed, but for the better.

Voice acting is better, animation has improved, episodes are a lot better, etc. I don't have anything against season 1, but like a lot of other shows, MLP's first season is the weakest. Don't get me wrong, it had a ton of great episodes, but I prefer how the show is now.

• Brohoof 1