Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Long Do You Cook Your Popcorn?

Blue Moon

42 users have voted

1. 1. How long do you cook your popcorn?

• 0 - 10 seconds (Winter is coming).
    • 11 - 30 seconds (A lone popcorn in a sea of kernels).
    • 31 - 50 seconds (We have acquired more survivors of the kernelpocalypse).
    • 51 - 1:10 seconds (A little stingy with the popcorn:kernel ratio, but it's alright).
    • 1:11 - 1:30 seconds (A little too soon m8).
    • 1:31 - 1:50 seconds (You done good, brother).
    • 1:51 - 2:10 seconds (Looking a little dark there).
    • 2:11 - 2:30 seconds (Burnt).
    • 2:31 - 2:50 (Great, now your popcorn is finished with his Two-Face cosplay).
    • 2:51 - 3:10 (You should probably take that out now).
    • 3:11+ (HERE BE DRAGONS).

Alright, for all you popcorn connoisseurs out there; I have a simple question. In order to get your popcorn to prime condition for nomming, how long do you cook it in your microwave/oven/cauldron/etc.?

Vote in the poll and post below!

I personally use 1:41 minutes most of the time. 1:40 generally cooks popcorn well without leaving a lot of kernels or burning it, but I tend to cook popcorn at night and I don't want to wake everyone else up with the beeping of the microwave, so I add another second so I can stop the microwave early without losing time.

Edited by Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 2

well, my microwave takes 2:30 to actually get to the 1:31-1:50 category. Anyways I like mine light, burnt kernels always annoy me as they take away from the flavor (for me, butter or cheese, sometimes others).

Damn, now I could go for a bowl of popcorn at 3:30am.

• Brohoof 2

Alright so I have this down to an art! I have to always get the same type of microwave popcorn, its Gala Extra Butter because I have realized that my microwave needs 2.13 to normally be perfect with maximum amount of popped/least burnt! I spent way more time than I should have trying to figure out the best microwave time! :D

• Brohoof 1

Mine tends to be from 1:15 to 2:10, but it's mostly around 1:15. Since I'm super picky about my popcorn I try to plan out a time for the best popcorn. :P

• Brohoof 1

I try to stay with whatever's on the bag, which is usually the 1:30 - 1:40 range.

Who cares if there are a few survivors of the Great Kernel Apocalypse! I'll still munch on a few of 'em!

• Brohoof 1

The most finicky thing I have ever cooked. Just a few couple of seconds too little, and you have little yellow-orange balls in the bag.  >_>

Just a few seconds too many, and you have fluffy outside, but black and burnt as everything on the inside. :angry:

Right about 1:30 seems to work for me. :squee:

• Brohoof 1

It's really not that hard to cook popcorn if you have those pre-packaged popcorn bags like Orville Redenbacher (great popcorn btw).  My microwave is a little shit tier so doing 2:20 works for me.  If it takes 1 full second between pops like the bag says, it pops a large majority of the popcorn without burning it.

If I remember correctly, before I switched microwaves, it was only like a 1:30ish before the popping slowed down. Basically it all depends on what microwave you have and the megahertz it puts out.  My current one is 2450 MHz.

• Brohoof 1

My current one is 2450 MHz.

All modern domestic microwave ovens operate at 2450 MHz.

Cooking speed depends on the oven's power, not its frequency. Power is measured in Watts. A typical microwave oven might be between 600 W and 900 W.

Edited by Vital Spark

All modern microwave ovens operate at 2450 MHz.

Cooking speed depends on the oven's power, not its frequency. Power is measured in Watts. A typical microwave oven might be between 600 W and 900 W.

Ah ok, I looked again and it says 700W.