Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How Long Do You Cook Your Popcorn?

Blue Moon

42 users have voted

1. 1. How long do you cook your popcorn?

• 0 - 10 seconds (Winter is coming).
    • 11 - 30 seconds (A lone popcorn in a sea of kernels).
    • 31 - 50 seconds (We have acquired more survivors of the kernelpocalypse).
    • 51 - 1:10 seconds (A little stingy with the popcorn:kernel ratio, but it's alright).
    • 1:11 - 1:30 seconds (A little too soon m8).
    • 1:31 - 1:50 seconds (You done good, brother).
    • 1:51 - 2:10 seconds (Looking a little dark there).
    • 2:11 - 2:30 seconds (Burnt).
    • 2:31 - 2:50 (Great, now your popcorn is finished with his Two-Face cosplay).
    • 2:51 - 3:10 (You should probably take that out now).
    • 3:11+ (HERE BE DRAGONS).

First off, if you truly consider yourself a popcorn connoisseur, you should first state the size, measurement, or weight of the bag/kernels. Otherwise you do not really give us a comparason for the times in the poll (personal bag? full? popcorn machine? etc.) :P haha sorry im going a bit overboard. But simply put your leaving too many variables for me to guess at. Considering the times though you probably have a high wattage microwave, or your referring to smaller bags.

My typical popcorn experience

Personally when i make popcorn via microwave I use Pop Secret extra butter or movie theatre butter (3.2oz bags; basically the full size ones). I enjoy putting the Orville butter topping on my popcorn! (can never have too much butter  :pinkie:  ) then add some Kernel season's popcorn seasoning (popcorn salt, and sometimes extra butter flavor). It can taste just like the movies! Though the time for each bag of popcorn is unique, and just as the bag suggests you should wait until the kernals stop popping every 2 seconds. (I give it about a leeway of two missed popping intervals). Lawry's seasoned salt is also an interesting flavor to add. All amounts of added seasoning and butter is typically up to the person who puts it (as people's taste varies greatly). I do not recommend mixing the Lawrys season salt and the popcorn salt. And in all cases, i recommend adding the butter topping first so the seasoning grips to the popcorn more.

Personally, I get my popcorn from a microwave (900 watt) and set the time for about 3:30, as the bag pop times (as mentioned prior) change per bag and especially per brand. And I just watch the popcorn like a hawk to ensure it doesnt get stuck in the microwave and stop rotating, or the like. Typically I get less than 10 unpopped kernals, this includes the partially popped ones. If i had to ballpark about how long it takes on average I would say probably nearing the 3 minute mark usually (give/take about 20 seconds).

Other stuff

If you want to pop 100% of the kernals ... I recall watching a youtube video of people pressure cooking popcorn (it was foreign), something to look up if your interested, though naturally I am sure there are other methods to getting that 100%

I take care with my popcorn as sushi chef's does to their sushi :D

I suppose I cant exactly say i am too much a popcorn fanatic :P moreso because I do not own a popcorn maker, but that is mostly due to the fact they are so much hassle to clean, and are pretty much only good for popcorn.

Edited by Fleur-De-Lis
  • Brohoof 1

First off, if you truly consider yourself a popcorn connoisseur, you should first state the size, measurement, or weight of the bag/kernels. Otherwise you do not really give us a comparason for the times in the poll (personal bag? full? popcorn machine? etc.) :P haha sorry im going a bit overboard. But simply put your leaving too many variables for me to guess at. Considering the times though you probably have a high wattage microwave, or your referring to smaller bags.

Ah, of course, fellow popcorn connoisseur. I didn't want to go too overboard with the details so I wouldn't scare any potential popcorn connoisseurs away. But I suppose you're right. :P

• Brohoof 2

About 2 minutes.. my microwave is quite finicky about it. Even 10 seconds longer and it's burning, and jeez does popcorn smell bad when it's burned. :eww:

• Brohoof 1

About 2 minutes.. my microwave is quite finicky about it. Even 10 seconds longer and it's burning, and jeez does popcorn smell bad when it's burned. :eww:

Sometimes popcorn tastes slightly better a little burned :P it gives it that extra zing! hahaha.

• Brohoof 3

Maybe we should just call ourselves popcorn enthusiests :yay:  much simpler.

About two minutes, longer on the stove.

Also, stove popcorn eh? those are a little pricey per pan, but its good stuff ... when you can make it right :muffins: (I find it can be ... tricky.

... the thought randomly occured to me ... just as none must know Rarity is part marshmallow ... perhaps spitfire is part popcorn? :fiery:  (random joke because of hte palette ... which i gues sfluttershy qualifies too ... and applebloom :catface:  ... everything around that buttery color :fluttershy:

Edited by Fleur-De-Lis
  • Brohoof 1

I must have been living a lie with a pretty terrible microwave, how are all of you people achieving perfect popcorn in one minute? By one minute there isn't even any popping yet, for me. I usually put on five minutes (for no particular reason) and then between 2:10 and 2:20 remaining (so after nearly 3 minutes) I manually cancel once I get the feeling that it's ready. Sometimes it's ready at an early time such as 2:20 and sometimes really late at 2:10 or even slightly later.

Or actually, since my microwave has a number of "options", I may have been using it wrong for years. I just hit the "Micro" button (There's grill, Jet Defrost, Crisp, Fitness, and some other stuff).

3 minutes. Otherwise my microwave starts flashing weird colors, makes weird sounds and spews out smoke and stuff.

I think you need a new microwave before that one becomes more of a fire hazard than it already is.

I must have been living a lie with a pretty terrible microwave, how are all of you people achieving perfect popcorn in one minute? By one minute there isn't even any popping yet, for me. I usually put on five minutes (for no particular reason) and then between 2:10 and 2:20 remaining (so after nearly 3 minutes) I manually cancel once I get the feeling that it's ready. Sometimes it's ready at an early time such as 2:20 and sometimes really late at 2:10 or even slightly later.

Or actually, since my microwave has a number of "option", I may have been using it wrong for years. I just hit the "Jet" button (I don't even know what that is. There's grill and some other stuff).

I think you may need a new microwave ... either that or the number you are pushing is a "quick cook" kind of button and applies certain settings for a certain type of food (I know some microwaves do that). Some microwaves also have different power settings (low, medium, or high power.). You should look up a manual for your microwave. Knowing the wattage can also be important too, though note that most times on microwaving instructions are in 1000 or 1100 watts these days (to my knowledge at least.)

I think you may need a new microwave ... either that or the number you are pushing is a "quick cook" kind of button and applies certain settings for a certain type of food (I know some microwaves do that). Some microwaves also have different power settings (low, medium, or high power.). You should look up a manual for your microwave. Knowing the wattage can also be important too, though note that most times on microwaving instructions are in 1000 or 1100 watts these days (to my knowledge at least.)

I think it is, but the thing is, when we did just use the timer and then start without pressing any button, the micro just made sounds and acted like it was working but never did. This was when we bought it. We tried something like 5 times to cook (coincidentally, popcorn) trying to do it different ways until one time it completely burned out. Ever since then we're using Micro no questions asked.

I'll look for power options, thanks! Never found some but I'm sure I can dig up the manual from... somewhere.

I think you need a new microwave before that one becomes more of a fire hazard than it already is.

Okay so this actually quite concerned me since it implied I microwaved everything too slow, so I called up some friends. All of them agree that it takes them 3 minutes to cook their microwave, so I think it's the popcorn product in the country that takes this long. I looked in the back and it says the microwave should run on high power, and that it will take between 2 to even 4 minutes depending on wattage.

Okay so this actually quite concerned me since it implied I microwaved everything too slow, so I called up some friends. All of them agree that it takes them 3 minutes to cook their microwave, so I think it's the popcorn product in the country that takes this long. I looked in the back and it says the microwave should run on high power, and that it will take between 2 to even 4 minutes depending on wattage.

Well i did mention that popcorn brand and watts make quite the difference (in a previous post :derp: ). I am curious now though, what brand are you using? and what country? I did not think countries had that significant a difference with their popcorn, but I guess when it comes down to it, the region the kernals were imported would make a difference too. Amazing how many variables goes into making good popcorn right?

Also I am glad I helped you understand more about your microwave! :fluttershy:

Edited by Fleur-De-Lis
  • Brohoof 1

UGH POPCORN.

Disgusting little spawns of Satan.

0 seconds ;p

I personally find popcorn to be really disgusting.

pretty much.

join the #popcornhaters movement!

i will never understand how cruel someone has to be to do that to an otherwise awesome food :(

Well i did mention that popcorn brand and watts make quite the difference (in a previous post :derp: ). I am curious now though, what brand are you using? and what country? I did not think countries had that significant a difference with their popcorn, but I guess when it comes down to it, the region the kernals were imported would make a difference too. Amazing how many variables goes into making good popcorn right?

Also I am glad I helped you understand more about your microwave! :fluttershy:

Yeah, I meant the concern that I may either be using my microwave wrong or that it's in general broken (and if it was, it's been so for a looong time). I'm from Israel, and it's called "Hot Pop". I sometimes buy other brands but they all also have the same time, one of them even advises for 5 minutes (which is why I got into the habit of putting in 5)

Yeah, I meant the concern that I may either be using my microwave wrong or that it's in general broken (and if it was, it's been so for a looong time). I'm from Israel, and it's called "Hot Pop". I sometimes buy other brands but they all also have the same time, one of them even advises for 5 minutes (which is why I got into the habit of putting in 5)

Well i cant really help you with any of that stuff :P all of that is way out of my range of knowledge. Wish you luck on your popcorn endeavers!

Edited by Fleur-De-Lis

I just put it in and push buttons.... I seem to be getting better at it last time I lost my house in the process

burned-popcorn.jpg

seriously though, I usually do it for a minute and a half and it comes out just fine