Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you wear MLP clothing in public?

NyxTheShield

I myself am not a big pony merch collector aside for some small things. I have no T shirts, pony backgrounds or anything pony related that would be obvious to the public. Even when I go to meetups and conventions there is not an ounce of pony relating things on me.

I am planning on getting a subtle T shirt I will wear when I go to meetups but I would not wear it outside of those meetups or conventions unless I wanted to attract fellow bronies.

For me this reason was further ingrained when I met up with a fellow brony I met at bronycon who happens to live a couple miles from me. I met up with him at the train station since we were both going to a meetup two weeks ago. We had a great time but compared to me, he has way more pony merch. He was wearing a apple jack T shirt and was carrying a scootaloo plush in a bag. I though both were cool but some people around us was looking at him strangely and were laughing at him. I give him props as he is a brony to not give a crap and is no insecure at all. He is the type of person who would stand up in a crowd and announce he was a brony and go on with his day like nothing happened.

I personally think it was not the T-shift that was gathering much attention but rather the scootaloo plush he was carrying around in a bag, that some people thought was strange

As for me, I was wearing an aeropostale t shirt and levi jeans.

Anyone else just dont wear or broadcast pony related merch, outside of pony meetups? If so why?

Also if you had any bad experiences, did you continue or stop wearing pony merch in public or outside of meetups/conventions

I wear pony merch all the time. I don't really have bad experiences wearing the things I wear, if people look at me strange then so be it.

I don't like..hoard all my plushies outside and have a tea part with them, or anything. I am just wearing a  pony shirt usually; my friend has a derpy wallet, and my other friend has a few shirts as well. 

I remember a time when "Yo Gabba Gabba" was like, this big thing for teens and stuff. I saw kids wearing Yo Gabba Gabba belts and thought it was weird, but it was them, ya know? Let strange people be strange.
So, yeah I do understand where you are coming from. :) I know a guy who walks out in public decked out completely like Rainbow Dash...it is uncomfortable being around him, lemme tell ya.

You just have to know what is socially acceptable when you go walking around town with pony stuff.

• Brohoof 6

Insecurity is useless. Why should you care what other people think of you? Just create the image you want for your public self and don't worry about whether the reaction is positive or not. It's more important to be genuine to yourself, because realistically, a city of clones would never innovate, would never solve what hadn't already been solved.

• Brohoof 5

I don't carry pony merch with me but not because people around where i live don't like different people(they don't) but because I don't have any merch or money to get it.

I don't really care what others think about me, if something bothers them it's their problem, not mine.

I have only had positive reactions wearing my Rainbow dash t shirt, lots of Bro hooves, however that was mostly at comic con.

Also when I wore it to Alton Towers theme park one of the ride operator brohooved me and stopped the ride for 5 minutes (with people waiting xD) to talk ponies with me.

All that said would not wear it around my home town, where lets say people there aren’t to keen on people being different =p.

• Brohoof 2

I wear my Pony shirts in public, but only when I am on a meetup or convention. When I am alone in the city, I usually wear normal T-Shirts or Bandshirts and no Pony Shirts. I also don't want to show everybody that I am a brony. In school, I never would wear a Pony Shirt because I don't want to be the thema number 1 in the school. 

And other MLP stuff? I don't take the other stuff with me because I don't want that they get dirty, wet, lost or broken.

I do not have any pony merch in terms of clothes but if I did I would not care what others think of me, besides. EVERYONE WHERE I LIVE KNOWS I AM A BRONY!!!.

I wore the BABS2015 shirt to the DBZ Resurrection of F screening back in August, and occasionally wear my MLPF shirt, but I don't really have pony clothing.

I also have no issue walking around with mah Derpy plush. :v

I wear my Derpy Shirt whenever I get the chance. Public or Private. Nobody tends to give me weird looks. Even if they did, it won't stop me from loving what I love.

I've never been looked at strangely for wearing a pony shirt or having some sort of merch on me. It's more "acceptable" for me as a woman (eye roll) and I don't wear or carry anything "too weird" (eye roll x2), so when I get stared at in public it's usually for other reasons. It's because people have a problem with my sexuality and don't want me to be publicly affectionate with my partner(s), or because I'm with my brother who carries plushies and acts unusually as products of his autism.

People judge for a lot of stupid reasons. I don't let it get to me because I get judged for a lot of things that I can't change about myself and my life. There's nothing wrong with any part of who I am, including the part that likes My Little Pony.

On a side note, judging someone for carrying a stuffed animal is some ableist garbage and I'm not about it.

• Brohoof 1

You can wear a pony shirt,if people are looking at you funny. Well that's them people are like that for some reason.But carrying a plushie around? I think that's overdoing it in my opinion.

Especially when its a guy carrying a pony plush meant for little girls. I know people say dont care, but the problem is society is not that accepting.

Edited by GXPBlast

I wear pony merch all the time. I don't carry around plushes, but I have a ton of t-shirts. I've gotten a few strange looks, and at school some have even pointed and laughed, but now that I've been doing it for so long, I think they're just used to it and see no point in thinking up new comments every day. 

I don't have any pony merch (but that doesn't mean I'm against it). I really try to not care what others think of me. From my experience, I found that if you are confident in yourself, and make it know that you don't give a F*** what others think of you, then others just accept it. People think I am really cool, not because I actually am, but because I just always insist that I am cool (It's all an illusion). If you are confident, then if you wear a pony shirt (or something else) and insist that is't cool, then others will eventually just accept it. I once wore a kilt to school and everyone was just like "who's wearing that? Oh, its him. Ok, that's cool, I guess." 

• Brohoof 1

If you live in the middle of nowhere like I do, wearing pony shirts would probably get you beaten straight to the hospital.  I don't have any pony merch but I'd probably wear a Discord shirt in public.

• Brohoof 2

The only time I don't any pony shirts is when I'm at school, because I can be with people for a long period of time, and it will probably be mentioned at one point, then the whole school finds out, and I'm ostracized. And it's not something people will let me hear the end of. Maybe in senior year, when I'm not going to be in touch with them sooner or later, so it won't matter anyway, but I'm a sophmore now, so I still have another 2 years. That being said, if someone were to ask me at school, I'd be honest. I still get nervous when I wear pony shirts if I'm not far from town(like the mall nearby). But if I go to a city or further away from home, then I'm completely comfortable wearing pony shirts. Once I start going to college, I'll wear pony shirts more often because they won't care as much, which is one of the reasons I can't wait for college.

Edited by Trixie Heartstrings
  • Brohoof 1

I have a few pony shirts that I wear around town. I have never had any reaction positive or negative. I guess that is the perk of a big city no one takes the time to look at you. However if someone did say something, i really don't think it would deter me from doing it again.

You have to remember people are mean, so do what makes you happy! 

• Brohoof 1

I only have a rarity shirt, belt and rainbow dash hoodie. Gonna start to wear my hoodie around...hopefully without my parents knowing...

Back in 2012, I wore my Rainbow Dash hoodie to Calculus class and when I got in there, people laughed because it was funny. Even the professor got a laugh out of it. People thought it was really cool. Oh how I miss HPU where people were just so open...and now I have to face the dreaded community college where bronies have to lay low for ignorant haters lurk around...

• Brohoof 1