Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Your" and "You're"

Hidey

When people use the wrong one, I flip a table. Especially when they use the wrong one while they're criticizing someone else's grammar.

• Brohoof 3

I try my best to practice good grammar because I feel like if you only know one language, you have no reason whatsoever to suck at it. It's really people being lazy if you ask me. They're (and not "their") making themselves look like idiots. You can't expect to get a good job if you're not practicing good grammar. If your résumé has that mistake all over it, it doesn't matter how qualified you are. Your résumé will probably get tossed.

I'm not saying my own grammar is perfect. It is better than average. I do make typos from time to time, especially on my cell phone. Swype can be a pain in the ass. I once told a friend I was going to "kick his ass." because K and L are so close on the keyboard, I accidentally spelled "lick." I wasn't really looking when I sent it....Awkward......

Oftentimes, I make mistakes on my computer keyboard because I think faster than I type from time to time, even though I can type at 85+ words per minute. My fingers just can't keep up with my thoughts. 

If it's really that difficult to distinguish between the two words just use "your" and "you are."

English and swedish have very diffrent grammar, so i often forget :3

See I'm totally fine with your English grammar not being great if you're multilingual. The sad part is that my best friend is German and her English is better than 4 out of 5 people I know.

Edited by Space Woona
  • Brohoof 1

I don't ever remember being confused with 'your' and 'you're'. It's a very simple distinction, 'you're' is a shortened form of 'you are'. There's nothing to be confused about...

The difference between 'its' and 'it's' alluded me for years, though, because it's not like that. And honestly, it's a bit confusing, as it bends the grammar standards of having... Okay, I completely fail at describing this because I do not know my grammatical terms anymore... Maybe I'll give a random sample sentence and that will explain?

If you follow that "The bird's feathers were ruffled", then it's weird that this would go this way "Its feathers were ruffled". I think that explained it? lol

Edited by Envy

I always use the correct form but I don't care at all if somebody uses an incorrect form. Some people don't have English as their native language, and some people are dyslexic. But nobody's perfect and all humans make mistakes sometimes. :3

I've never had any trouble with those two words. I'm rather surprised some people mess it up, but they are probably just lazy or don't know English well enough.

Also, I'm posting this picture since I feel it's relevant, and funny.

enhanced-buzz-19736-1378228958-0.jpg

• Brohoof 3

I'm a bit of a grammar nazi, so it generally annoys the heck out of me when someone uses "You're" incorrectly, and it happens so, so much!  :angry:  (Here is you are muffin! :muffins:)

Oh well.. at least its not Engrish. :okiedokielokie: 

• Brohoof 1

When people use the wrong one, I flip a table. Especially when they use the wrong one while they're criticizing someone else's grammar.

Grammar-Nazi-Fail_o_133548.jpg

Happens all the time. All the time. 

• Brohoof 3

This is elementary-level grammar to be frank. The difference should really be obvious - "your" is possessive and "you're" is a combination of "you" and "are." But I won't go bonkers if someone I'm talking to makes that mistake.

It is not as bad as seeing someone mistakenly use "to" instead of "too." Now that is just painful to see.

I use the correct form as much as possible, and can't help but be bothered when people CONSTANTLY use the wrong form.

Like someone else in this thread said, I've known the difference between the two since grade school!

I do use the correct form.  I used to be a grammar nazi, but not as much any longer.  I do notice grammatical errors however don't see it as a big deal though. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a grammar nazi both in Dutch and in English. Irony will dictate that I'll screw up in this post, but this particular mistake is one I won't make. Frankly I don't understand how people can make it. Isn't it common knowledge that you're is a contraction of you and are? How, then, could one possibly do it wrong?

Another one that makes steam come out of my ears is 'should of' and variations on it. It's 'should have', people. This is not a difficult concept to grasp. English isn't even my native tongue and I get this right.

• 1 month later...

I use the right form most of the time, but sometimes I slip up and use the wrong one without realizing it, especially when I'm tired.

Still, it's really annoying when people do this. x_x

Easy way I use to tell if to use "Your" or "You're" in a sentence - If I can use "Mine" in the place of the word then it's "Your" (eg: "These cats are mine." Vs. "These cats are yours."), if I can use "I'm" in the sentence then it's "You're" (eg: "I'm such a geek AND a nerd!" Vs. "You're such a geek AND nerd!").

Then again, I have a bit of an inside joke with my dad (we're both Aspies) where I'll say "I'll have two tutu's too, whilst you're down the shops" as code for "Get me a pair each of chicken schnitzels and chicken shish kebabs at the cafe on the way back from shopping". (Side-note: Up yours US English Dictionary in Chrome! Shish is an actual word meaning "skewer", not a slagging typo!)

On a forum I tend not to care so much when some pony makes such a simple error, but if I see it actually written, then it stands up like a sore thumb.

For me, the absolutely unforgivable error is when ponies abbreviate 'et cetera' as ECT. Ugh! I even had a friend who would say 'eck cetera' out loud, apparently unaware that 'eck' is not a Latin word.

It's etc ponies! Memorize it! E then a T then a C!

/rant

• Brohoof 1