Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Your" and "You're"

Hidey

I cannot stand when people don’t use these words correctly. It legitimately makes me angry for a good 20 seconds. People not executing proper grammar & spelling is a massive pet peeve of mine.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...
  1. Do you know you're all my very best friends!

2. Do you know your all my very best friends!

Pick and choose, the right one. I am 100% sue you are singing the wrong one :sneer:

(edited)

I tend to use the correct ones. I might have the occasional lapse in concentration and accidentally put the wrong one from time to time. Usually when I'm typing or responding to something in haste. I only really make corrections if it's an important piece of writing. Usually I allow myself to be lazy when it comes to forum or chat comments. Because quite frankly, it's my time off from formal writing. I can be as lax and casual as I damn well please with it. As long as others can understand it, then that's enough.

So in that regard, it's not something that actually peeves me when others use it incorrectly. As long as I understand what someone is communicating, then that's good enough for me. As far as I'm concerned, language has done its job. I have more important things to get upset about. A couple of mispelt words or incorrect grammar points isn't going to cause the sun to go a bit mental and swallow the sky.

To be honest I find it more rude when someone just randomly corrects another person on their grammar without actually making any constructive comment in regards to the content of what the other person is saying. It's bad manners to randomly go up to someone to point out their errors. Imagine Derpy just standing their with her friends. She is happily talking about muffins or the new mail schedule at her place of work. Then suddenly, you have some random pony approach her and say "Good heavens! Your eyes are wonky! They are wrong!" Something like that wouldn't exactly go down well, would it?

Edited by Treeglow Flicker

• 8 months later...

I tend to use the correct forms of "your" and "you're" in my messages and texts, even on casual occasions. I try to be correct with my grammar in my writing.

• Brohoof 3

I have never had any issues with these, honestly I can't even see how you would get them mixed up. Depending on the context I may point it out.

Tbh I don’t care that much about other people’s grammar. I got far more important stuff to worry about. All that matters to me is if I can understand what you mean. Too busy to sweat the small stuff.

That being said the only time I get your and you’re mixed up is if autocorrect on my phone does something I don’t notice. Autocorrect is a blessing and a curse. 

While there are words I do get mixed up, your and you’re isn’t one of them. 

• Brohoof 1

It seems to me that people whose second language is english know fundamental grammar better. Probably because they start to learn it from basics and gradually move forward (I understood how to use contractions only after ~6 years of passively learning english in school)

• Brohoof 2

I don't remember ever making that mistake myself. :ooh: There was one time here on the forums when I accidentally wrote "it's" instead of "its", though I noticed it after posting (I didn't edit it, as I thought the "edited by" thing would have looked even worse than that misspelling). :please:

• Brohoof 1

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I know the difference but sometimes I get it wrong cause I am in a rush or not thinking about it too much. But yeah "you're" is an abbreviation of "you are" so I just think when looking over it "would saying 'you are' fit into this sentence? And if not then I probably have used the wrong version of it.