Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Your" and "You're"

Hidey

It's my belief that there are acceptable times and places to mess up your grammar. If it's through PM, or a text to a friend? No problem. If it's in an email or in an essay for school, or when you're dealing with unfamiliar people? Absolutely unacceptable.

If I see someone on the forums mess up with your/you're, it/it's, they're/their/there, etc., I don't really mind it. So long as Dey arnt talkn liek dis. I like to spell all my words correctly, but often times, my use of periods/commas seems different. I like to type in the same style I talk. I'm like G-Man up in here.

A lot of times, kids be asking me to proofread their papers for a class before they turn them in. That's when I begin to get mad. You're how old again? This looks like a third grader wrote this.

My father and stepmother are a little... lacking... in education. It grosses me out. I hate seeing their writing.

I use your and you're correctly. I have always been observant of the things I write and i constantly make sure they're in tip-top grammatical shape; unless I'm using satire.

However, I fail to see why it irks some people so much when they are used in the wrong way.

It irks me when people use the wrong form of a word. You come from an English speaking country; you should know what form to use! *Turns on Grammar Nazi sirens*

The only times I use them wrong is either to mock someone or because I really didn't see I typed the wrong form. The same goes for basically every one of these grammar things that people get wrong so often. You're/your, they're/their/there, affect/effect, lose/loose, we're/where/were, how hard can it be? If you get one wrong or don't know what the difference is, no harm done, it happens. English can be a difficult language especially for someone whose mother language doesn't have the same roots as English. But too many people make these mistakes and it shocks me sometimes. It's not just this though. We've also got people that can't capitalize, people that write everything without any periods or commas and can't make paragraphs.

Sometimes I'm left to wonder "How hard can it be to write properly?". How hard is it to capitalize? How hard can it be to write periods, commas and so on? What will you do with the saved time you gained from writing "kk" or "idk" instead of "okay" or "I don't know"? Some people..

I'm a grammar nazi both in Dutch and in English. Irony will dictate that I'll screw up in this post, but this particular mistake is one I won't make. Frankly I don't understand how people can make it.

Actually I think it's probably a lot easier for someone who speaks English as a second language to make the distinction.

For example, in Dutch, "your" would be "uw", but "you're" would be "je bent". In Dutch there is no possibility of mixing these up. They're two very separate ideas and you'd translate one as "your" and one as "you're" or "you are". For native English speakers, who grow up saying a word which sounds like "yorr" before they learn to read and write, it then takes a conscious effort for them to train themselves to distinguish between two different (but still quite related) meanings of that utterance, and spell them differently.

(And let's not forget about "yore" and "yaw" which both exist, even if they're a lot less common.)

I use the right forms all the time unless I'm too tired to think. I really don't care how people write it, however, especially on the Internet. I recognise that a lot of people are not native English speakers so unless they're asking for help I'm not going to pelt them with pretentious comments about the proper way to spell things. The point is understanding. If I understand, I make no mountain out of the mole hill.

Besides, I sometimes abbreviate "you" to "u" when talking to close friends as some sort of endearing term.

I always try to use the proper forms of "your"! If I see some one say something like "your standing of my scarf."

it kinda bothers me, but I won't correct them unless we're in an argument and they say something like "your dumb", because how can you call me dumb if you can't even tell the difference between "your fat butt" and "you are fat, but...".

Also, if I see someone say something like "Oh, I didn't know I was standing on you're scarf!" I just... am not very happy, but I don't usually point it out.

Also, if someone's first language isn't English, I totally understand, and I wouldn't correct them. 

• 5 years later...

I have heard you get banned from this forum is you use improper grammar.

You have 3 strikes of using "i" instead of "I", and of course I use the correct form of "your/you are" :lie:

3 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

I have heard you get banned from this forum is you use improper grammar.

You have 3 strikes of using "i" instead of "I", and of course I use the correct form of "your/you are" :lie:

Is that really true?

I get a little annoyed when people use the wrong version of "your," "their," etc. because it's so easy to tell when they're supposed to be used, yet people get it wrong all the time. Apostrophe means a contraction (also, "it's" means "it" and "is", while "its" is possessive and is not a contraction. People always get that wrong, too), "your" and "their" are possessive, and "there" is for location. I can understand mixing up "to" and "too" in a few situations, but if I see someone use "two" for anything other than a number, they're gonna lose their kneecaps.

• Brohoof 1

11 hours ago, ExplosionMare said:

Is that really true?

wELL iF yOUr aNNOYNING aS wELL

Spoiler

(Note I did the "your" misspell on accident, please don't ban me!) :lie:

• Brohoof 1

I try to use the correct grammar when I can, but I don’t have an issue when other people don’t use it. There’s nothing more embarrassing than seeing someone correcting grammar on the internet, like they’re so intelligent for being able to differentiate the correct word for the correct contex, while failing to understand they are on the internet, not in a classroom. :darling:

• Brohoof 1

5 hours ago, Super Splashee said:

wELL iF yOUr aNNOYNING aS wELL

Hide contents

(Note I did the "your" misspell on accident, please don't ban me!) :lie:

Banned for improper use of capitalization!

Spoiler

Just kidding, I can’t ban people

• Brohoof 1

I would say, grammar is important, but using lower case only, or uppercase letters all the time will be much worse than misspelling your/you're

It irks me when people don't use the right word.

Yourits, and their have no apostrophe, and they are therefore single, possessive words. Your shirt, its logo, and their opinion on the shirt.

You're, it's, and they're have apostrophes, and therefore are contractions, the shortening of two words. You're a dumbass for wearing the shirt, it's disgusting, and they're right to think so.

I dunno why this devolved into me rambling about an imaginary shirt. :P

I've actually seen people online get kinda pissy if you point out that they used the wrong term for the conversation. I never understood that, because your and you're are very different and I don't know why expecting someone to know the incredibly simple difference is such a bad thing to some people. :wacko: I try to not be a hardcore grammar police person but so many people with English as their first language use the wrong terms all the time. Eventually it irks me, especially since most of the time it is on the internet, which means anyone at anytime could simply look up the terms and immediately know the differences. 

What I do love though is when someone online tries to insult someone like in the image in the original post and say something like "Your stupid!". At that point I'm just like, "Okay." and I leave, because I don't even need to say anything at that point. :P 

• Brohoof 1