Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Sonic's Massive Reboot

Twi Rubix

Sonic's Reboot  

17 users have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on the reboot?

• Great! Sonic needs this reboot!
    • Okay. some issues here and there, but good idea overall.
    • Not sure. I need gameplay/screenshots
    • Not good. All this doesn't sound too promising.
    • Terrible! This will kill the franchise!

(edited)

As some of you may know, Sonic the Hedgehog is my favorite video game series to date. I loved every game from Sonic 1 to Generations, I even loved the bad ones like 06, Shadow, and Black Knight. But due to SEGA's recent financial loss, they are looking to reboot the entire Sonic series. And, its taking alot of inspiration from Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. This, to me, doesn't sound very good. But anyways, here is the list of the supposed changes to Sonic:

SEGA and Sonic Team are looking to Monetize Sonic.

Its gonna be a massive and total reboot.

They are commited to the reboot.

Speed, Platforming, and surreal environments are the same.

Sonic and Eggman's rivalry will continue.

Sonic and Eggman will get a massive makeover.

Everything else (Yes, everything.) are seeing radical changes. Including Tails.

New universe and characters.

New gameplay and gimmicks.

New engine.

No concern of photo realism,

Might be Like Burnout Paradise.

Zones return as massive levels with a bunch of missions.

Could have models/figures for collection to target the young audience. Also used to unlock special features in-game.

New cartoon series is thought of.

Classic characters are DLC.

From my impressions, most of it doesn't sound good. With the new universe, and ideas from other games, I just think it won't be such a good idea. Also, about the makeovers, I think that Sonic and Eggman will look ridiculous. Granted, that may be because I am thinking of Skylanders, but still... I also like the fact they are having figures (Because I like to collect those) and a cartoon show (Maybe), but, I hope they don't focus to little on the game itself, and just make a bunch of figurines to collect. I have the feeling the gameplay will be radically changed as well, and not for the better. If SEGA is inspired by Skylanders and Burnout Paradise, I think its a bad idea to take those ideas, and put them into Sonic. Don't get me wrong, I am welcome to change, and I like change, but it doesn't seem like it fits.

In short: I think it won't turn out so well because of the radical change and ideas from said games.

What is your opinion on this?

Edited by Twi Rubix

(edited)

Problem with rebooting is that long time fans will likely not accept it. eventually it might end up comic book style being an alternate universe. Seriously convoluting things.

It may be best for SEGA and Sonic Team to focus more on the aspects of Sonic Generations that made it great, and use the same aspects from the older Sonic games to bring them together. I love the high speed platforming. But sometimes I want more of it.

Using the 2.5D style like used in Sonic Generation Classic levels seems like the way to go. Unless they can produce an art style which makes sense in 2D

Edited by Tich

If it's anything like Sonic 06 (sounds exactly like the premise for Sonic 06), then ugh...

Actually, the reason it was bad was because Sega was rushed. Now yes, it was a bad game. However, that has nothing to do with the topic at hand.

The story was also really sloppy too. Just when did that blue chaos emerald enter the time loop, and when did it ever leave? For whatever reason, it's like a terribly written fanfic, with shipping of a hedgehog with a human girl. Although, as for Sonic 06 itself, it looked a lot better in beta, with more animation, real-time shadows, better physics... Then the final product came out, and it looked and played like it was a beta.

Sonic Generations though? Good game. But for whatever reason, the ending (Sonic Generations spoilers ahead) felt like it was a prequel to Sonic's Schoolhouse. Dr Robotnik was too displeased with how he never managed to catch Sonic, so he quits, and goes teaching or something. But ya know what? Nothing ever seemed canon in the Sonic universe. The plot is just all over the place.

Goodness... Not really sure how i feel about it. I suppose it could be good, but what you listed sounds like a really weird combination of things. I guess i'll just need to see more before deciding.

I've only really played the Sonic games from my Dreamcast. I like the platformer aspect!

Oh, and I've played the one for gamecube where the evil waterguy is the main antagonist. Sonic XD, maybe?

(edited)

Sonic the Hedgehog reboot: SANIC THE HEGEHOG

post-820-0-34904700-1333721644_thumb.jpg

^I didn't do that, anyways I'm not really sure what would happen to the franchise

Edited by Narutardedscum

Hey Sega, remember that amazing Sonic game you made called Sonic Colors? Why don't you just follow in the footsteps of that instead of constantly rebooting the series over and over again? :/

Where did you hear this?

Multiple websites has this information, and all of them more or less have the same info. This announcement was also by someone at SEGA, I think.

I like the sounds of most of it, except the figures to unlock features in-game.

Curiosity overwhelms me as to how they plan to redesign Sonic and Eggman though. As long as Eggman doesn't look stupider than he already does. Wish they would go back to using Sonic 06's Eggman, that was the best version of him imo.

I like the sounds of most of it, except the figures to unlock features in-game.

Curiosity overwhelms me as to how they plan to redesign Sonic and Eggman though. As long as Eggman doesn't look stupider than he already does. Wish they would go back to using Sonic 06's Eggman, that was the best version of him imo.

I get a bad feeling for the redesign. Like I said, it may be because Im thinking of Skylanders. I think Sonic and Eggman look fine as they are now. They shouldn't need a redesign.

Green eyes. <.< >.>

*Runs*

I'm all for Sonic looking more realistic actually, I liked Sonic 06's designs.

They need to make their games like twice as long though, EVERYONE complains about the length of their games.

Green eyes. <.< >.>

*Runs*

I'm all for Sonic looking more realistic actually, I liked Sonic 06's designs.

They need to make their games like twice as long though, EVERYONE complains about the length of their games.

Its just eyes... I never saw the complaint in that. I just don't understand I guess.

Sonic 06 was a great game because it was actually free roam style, like the Adventure games. The stages were nice, but I perfer the cartoony stages over realism. Either way...

Yeah, the games are way too short nowadays. Thats another thing Sonic 06 did right. It was long.

(edited)

Source: http://www.tssznews.com/2012/04/04/source-possible-sonic-reboot-for-2014-explored/

These are all mostly baseless rumors right now. TSSZ is not known for their accuracy or integrity as a news source. I'm not going to trust anything they have to say about a reboot until SEGA confirms.

Edited by Legendary Emerald

New universe and characters.

That I don't like. Why don't they fix the characters they have now? Like, make the time traveling Silver crap simple by making Silver from the same time? Get rid of the Master Emerald and Angel Island so Knuckles can appear without them being thrown in as an excuse to have him in? etc.

Sonic 2006 was supposed to be the series reboot.

We all know how that turned out.

wasn't Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colors, and Sonic Generations supposed to be a reboot, too? i'm sure i've heard about how those games were supposed to reboot the franchise and breathe new life in it.

And that they did, Sonic Generations is considered the perfection of what Unleashed and Colors did.

Also, I never cared about Sonic's eye color either, it's ridiculous how people fight over it. lol