Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your Vocal Range

Mouse

As someone who does far too much shower singing, I was curious as to what my vocal range is. After testing it with a YouTube video (linked below) I got the following results

Chest voice only: G2-G4 (A4 if we're being generous)
Chest voice + falsetto/head voice: G2-A5

I thought it would be cool for everyone to share their vocal ranges. Here's the link to the video that you can use to find it:

Edited by Mouse
  • Brohoof 2

Being a guy with a very deep voice, I could go down to E2 (but not comfortably). The highest I could go was G5, but that one is a little questionable as my voice started to crack.

Edited by Admiral Regulus

After a bit of playing around, I think I've found that my natural voice's fundamental frequency is between A2 and B2 (110-125 Hz). This seems accurate, as the average adult male has a frequency in the range of 85-180. Pretty interesting, actually...

Edited by Admiral Regulus

Cant actually sing right now, because everybody else in this house is asleep.
But I'm a bass, and generally sing second bass in choirs coz I find that more fun.

In the low range, I can't go further than F3.

And in the higher range, I can reach to F5...

I'm quite proud of how far I can stretch it! I'll practice to stretch it even further.

I'm an avid shower singer as well, and I've sang in choir and musicals before, so I guess I can ring in here. I've actually filled into all three male voice ranges (bass, baritone, and tenor) as required in choir when other people needed help, and I think my voice range reflects that. Last I checked, it was E2–D5 or so, not including falsetto. Not sure how high my falsetto goes, but it sounds bad enough up there that I don't bother.

Oh, and not sure if this would interest anybody, but I wrote a (not really) scientific paper on who in MLP:FiM has the largest vocal range based on what we've seen in canon: http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/397117/the-highest-voice-in-all-of-equestria

Turns out the answer is Fluttershy, and by a huge margin: B1–A5.  :blush:

• Brohoof 3

I'm an alto, thats really all I know...

I'm an avid shower singer as well, and I've sang in choir and musicals before, so I guess I can ring in here. I've actually filled into all three male voice ranges (bass, baritone, and tenor) as required in choir when other people needed help, and I think my voice range reflects that. Last I checked, it was E2–D5 or so, not including falsetto. Not sure how high my falsetto goes, but it sounds bad enough up there that I don't bother.

Oh, and not sure if this would interest anybody, but I wrote a (not really) scientific paper on who in MLP:FiM has the largest vocal range based on what we've seen in canon: http://www.fimfiction.net/blog/397117/the-highest-voice-in-all-of-equestria

Turns out the answer is Fluttershy, and by a huge margin: B1–A5.  :blush:

Wow! nice paper! really well done

• Brohoof 1

I can't belt out the high notes because the other people in the house would be like, "what the HECK are you doing in there?" >.>' 

But singing quietly, it seems my lowest is D3 and my highest (without getting loud) is B5. 

I suck at music theory (even the basic stuff), so I'm not a hundred percent sure how to go about using this information.. :s But hey, that just gives me something to research. XP 

Cool video! I didn't know things like that were out there. :D 

Yep, I can hit notes but my vocal range STINKS... C5 is uncomfortable... G4 is the last truly comfortable note.  A3 is the lowest comfortable note (yep just 9 notes) I can go up 3 more quite uncomfortably and but a single note down uncomfortably.

I had a good range back before my voice changed when I was young. 

It is interesting that you need to be able to hit FIFTEEN notes minimum to be able to sing.  I miss by 4 notes up and 2 votes down comfortably, or 1 note up and 1 note down uncomfortably.

I can whistle far more notes than I can sing, but that test did not go high enough for my maximum whistle note.

Interesting; I've always figured I could go about 2 octaves but I've never really put it to the test before.

F2 - A4 is about the extent of my comfortable range. I can actually go lower than this test but it starts to bottom out and isn't as pretty, and I can get up pretty far to about a E5 in my falsetto which coincidentally is also not very pretty..

Edited by HunterTSN

I couldn't understand the video, I wasn't sure what pitch to start at lol.

If someone can tell me how to do it I'll try again.

I have good range though, and can do different styles.

In school I could do mid tenor to high alto.

Edited by FeatherNight

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

How in the world do you get such a wide vocal range.  And what is wrong with me such that I have such a small range?  What is going on there?

There's nothing wrong with you lol, it's just luck of the draw. Some people are born with a very large vocal range and some aren't. You can always strengthen and extend your range through practice and voice exercises.

Also, vocal range isn't everything. Most people would rather listen to someone with a very pleasant and full voice and a 2 octave range than someone that thinly mumbles a 3 octave range. The overall sound of a voice can, again, be made more powerful with practice.

Edited by Mouse

• 1 month later...

This is my first time trying to figure out what my vocal range is so this might not be entirely accurate, but I got E2 - F4. Doesn't surprise me, since I have a very low voice but I can't speak or sing very high at all before my voice starts cracking.

• 3 weeks later...