Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Music taste before/after becoming a brony

Green Precision

Well, my music taste has changed a lot on its own before I got into MLP...for example, I used to be really into pop-punk/what was then called "emo" music, mostly Fall Out Boy and Panic! at the Disco. I still listen to those bands occasionally, but now it's more a mix of pop, dance (more old school/90s influenced stuff than EDM/dubstep) and guitar/"indie" music.

After discovering MLP, it's the same plus all the songs from the show/EQG :squee:  I don't really listen to the fan-made stuff - there are some songs I like okay if I hear them randomly at a con or something or a friend recommends them, but I don't typically seek out brony music to listen to on my own.

Not a whole lot has changed:

I still like Disco, Funk, House, Soul and all the stuff I liked before. I’ve just added pony to the stuff I listen to. Like Ingram’s music for the show, and some remixes of them but that’s about it.

Edited by Scootaloodle

Before: The typical "emo" type music, Bring me the Horizon, Nightwish and such. Just that and EDM of all sorts.

After: NEARLY EVERY GENRE. Since I am really into music, and the brony community has so much of it, I decided to check it out. Now I enjoy stuff ranging from MandoPony, Evening Star, and Aviators. I have gained an appreciation for all music. I now have every singe type of music out there probably crammed on my IPod somewhere.

I've mainly listened to rock and rap throughout my life. Specifically; nu-metal, alternative, post-grunge, and punk rock (for the most part), along with all sorts of rap. Once in a while there was a dubstep or electronic song or two that I'd dabble in, but for the most part I avoided the genre.

Since becoming a brony, I've branched out more into the electronic scene and thoroughly enjoy a large sum of songs in the genre. The brony music scene certainly assisted with that. One of my favorite dubstep/electrnic producers is actually a brony, DJ-Pon3.

Before, I listened to Uplifting and Euphoric Trance, Rock, Hard Rock, Punk Rock and some Metal.

For the most part I still do, although I listen to music from the show as well now. I don't listen to brony-made music though, since I usually don't see the connection to the show or like the music style.

• Brohoof 1

There has been very little change in my taste in music.

Before, I listened to Uplifting and Euphoric Trance, Rock, Hard Rock, Punk Rock and some Metal.

For the most part I still do, although I listen to music from the show as well now. I don't listen to brony-made music though, since I usually don't see the connection to the show or like the music style.

You made a valid point. There are so many works out there that the makers claim is pony related, but you'd never know from listening to it.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 1

Before I was a Brony I was heavily into Metal and all forms of metal. Deathcore, Mayhem, Grindcore, Heavy, Nu-Metal, and soft metal. Country, rock, rap, and pop were also my thing. 

After I became a Brony, my music tastes stayed the same...for the most part. I stopped listening to Metal, since Brony music to its place. Dubstep and house came onto my list of favourited genres which was a huge suprise for me. Before, I hated the stuff and would poke fun at it constantly. I would be hanging with friends and I would be like, "Hey, I can do dubstep!" and then make farting noises. Now, Dubstep, house, trance, and anything inbetween is always on my Iphone. Also, being a brony made me a raver.

My favorite progressive rock band is tool.

Nice taste you have there. My favorite prog rock band is Rush.

I like them too. My favorite songs are free will,yyz, and Tom sawyer. I also like their instrumentals.

Ever heard the entirety of 2112? It's a true masterpiece of music if you ask me.

Before I was a brony, I mostly listened to genres such as Nu Metal, Heavy Metal and Thrash Metal.

Now that I am a brony, I listen to more Death Metal.  Maybe it's a MLP influence?

• Brohoof 1

before becoming a brony, my taste in music was pretty neutral, I liked basicly all the songs that were popular when they were popular (exept "the fox", i have always, and will always, hate that song.  :okiedokielokie: ) I liked chiptune, I think I was the only one who really did, and I didn't like metal, dubstep, or basicly any song that was loud, I guess they were 2spooky4me. my favourite song was safe and sound, I also liked pompeii and for a while I liked some chiptune band called IFightDragons, but I suppose none of you have heard of it. (two years ago I thought it was cool because no one had heard of it. basically I was hipster commander Shepard. "If you've heard about it, it's already too mainstream for me.")

now I love almost all electronic music, especially chiptune (even though most chiptune songs aren't really that popular.), but I still hate dubstep, ironically after becoming a brony, I've disliked it even more, even though a lot of brony music is dubstep. safe and sound and pompeii are still my jams  B) . I've also started listening to songs with more of a beat than before, such as discord (I'm pretty sure it's a remix, but I'm not sure by who, but considering this is MLP and we're talking about a song remix, I think it's safe to assume it was the living tombstone.) Also, there have always been songs that I love even though I usually don't like that kind of music. anyways, basically, it's like whatever kind of music I sort of preferred before I now love, and whatever music I kind of didn't like before, I just can't stand, although I don't think MLP has much to do with it, except maybe me liking remix-y type songs with more of a beat.