Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So do people still hate the character designs?

Zoraxe

Remember back when the Equestria Girls designs first appeared, and how it seemed like everybody hated them? Now after 2 movies, is that still the case? And if you hated them first but no longer do, at what point did your mind change?

Personally I liked the designs then and I still love them now... the ones we ended up getting in the movie that is, but I know a lot of people that didn't.

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/02/mlp-spin-off-series-confirmed-rumor.html

http://www.equestriadaily.com/2013/03/new-equestria-girls-image-at-ny-times.html#idc-container

Edited by Zoraxe

Meh, they are very plain. They all have the same build, they all have skirts and those outlandishly high top shoes. I'm guessing this was to compete in selling dolls. But they are nothing like some of the fan art I have seen of  humanized ponies. I did like Fluttershy's design in EQ though, it is very unmatched.

Edited by whitetiger187
  • Brohoof 2

I've always disliked the character designs and see no reason to praise them whatsoever. Not only are all the designs extremely generic and uninspired. They're anatomically incorrect, too. The arms, hands, and neck are way too small. The torso is implausible because they have an exaggerated hourglass. And the upper body (head, neck, chest to hip) should be equal to the height of the lower body (hip to feet), not be smaller.

(The promo designs, both the ones on the packaging and exaggeratedly thin prototypes, are worse, though.)

I've always disliked the character designs and see no reason to praise them whatsoever. Not only are all the designs extremely generic and uninspired. They're anatomically incorrect, too. The arms, hands, and neck are way too small. The torso is implausible because they have an exaggerated hourglass. And the upper body (head, neck, chest to hip) should be equal to the height of the lower body (hip to feet), not be smaller.

(The promo designs, both the ones on the packaging and exaggeratedly thin prototypes, are worse, though.)

Because ponies are anatomically correct too, right? lol. it's a cartoon and not so often are cartoons 100% anatomically correct

I still find the promo designs awful, but the actual movie ones are...ok. I mean, they all are pretty generic, which makes sense. It's easier to make dolls that way.

I only remember Trixie and Scootaloo wearing clothes that was unique. I know there were some other characters, but none that really took up the screen that much. The main characters' all had the same clothes with minor differences. I'm talking about EqG 1. RR did a bit better.

But as for the actual characters themselves, I think the animation carried over well. They're just as expressive and in the same spirit as their pony counterparts. The promos, not so much.

Those look generic no matter what. Generic faces. Generic poses. Generic eyes.

Clearly the result of marketing research and statistics.

Edited by pollo20x6

Because ponies are anatomically correct too, right?

Actually, even though the ponies are drawn extremely simple, they have pretty accurate proportions. That's why they look a lot like ponies despite being very abstract and cartoony.

I think in EQ1,  given it was the first movie

and the first time they designed the ponies into

humans that they had to keep things simple

and all.  Now in EQ2, we get to see more of

a flare to the designs to not only the Mane

six but also the background ponies and our

evil bad singers!  Which you can see how they

got more into the movie and the cannons but

the songs got a ton better!  I think EQ3 will

be improved!

Looking at them solely from the perspective of a FiM fan, and considering nothing else at all, I think they could have done better on the models, and I'm critical of everyone being in tiny, little, cheerleader skirts. Looking at it from a complete picture, and knowing they have to make low-ish cost toys out of this, and that it takes a lot to make a more complex outfit, I understand why they look like they do, and what they universally wearing. 

So all in all, what's more important to me is the substance, which is great, but I'm not entirely put off by the designs. They can be quite charming at times. 

I wouldn't mind so much if they had more variety in body shape and clothing. I feel like ponies can get away with having the same body shape but its sort of weird in humans, especially when they're all so thin. Whats more, they're all wearing a skirt with knee high boots. Why do they all need to wear the same thing?

• Brohoof 1

My only complaints on the designs are Princess Celestia and Princess Luna. I just don't like their designs at all. I also don't like how every girl has a skirt. That's pretty unrealistic. I think that they should have at least gave Rainbow Dash pants.

• Brohoof 1

Actually, even though the ponies are drawn extremely simple, they have pretty accurate proportions. That's why they look a lot like ponies despite being very abstract and cartoony.

Exactly, but there's nothing wrong with being stylized. 

Rainbow Dash is in serious need of pants. Out of context, the previous sentence is a little strange, but I think it would be more befitting of her personality for her to wear pants, since she's disdainful of stereotypically girly stuff. So does Applejack, though her plaid skirt do look nice.

• Brohoof 3

Rainbow Dash is in serious need of pants. Out of context, the previous sentence is a little strange, but I think it would be more befitting of her personality for her to wear pants, since she's disdainful of stereotypically girly stuff. So does Applejack, though her plaid skirt do look nice.

Nah, I hate that whole 'girly-girls should wear skirts and tomboys should wear pants' stereotype. Saying Rainbow Dash shouldn't wear a skirt is just another gender role. (Plus, there is no evidence that she doesn't like anything feminine).

That said, I wish there were more characters in pants, if Twilight was in a skirt one day and in pants the next then that would be cool. But instead we got skirts on all the characters all the time, that's annoying. But its understandable because then the team would have to make alternate outfits for many characters which is more work.

• Brohoof 1

I don't have much thought on teen fashions.  But, as an Old Fogey, I HAVE to ask.  Do kids today really wear those God Awful ski boots?  People don't here in Phoenix (I've looked), but you would DIE if you tried in Summer.  They have to be the most hideous thing I've ever seen done in the name of fashion since Bell Bottoms went out of style in the 70s.

I keep asking, but no one wants to answer. 

Other than that, well, the people look about as much like real people as MLPs look like real ponies.

They have to be the most hideous thing I've ever seen done in the name of fashion since Bell Bottoms went out of style in the 70s.

I don't know, I bet General Flash rocked those thangs! :)

Pinkie_Pie_-_General_Flash_ID_S4E21.png

• Brohoof 1

Meh. I don't really care for them, I'm neutral on the subject. Although I hate specifically Luna and Celestia's designs. They look messed up, put bluntly.

(Not sure what Anthro ponies are) 

I'm pretty sure Anthro means when an animal has human anatomy but their animal cosmetic features in the face, feet and/or hands are kept the same.

Edited by Kyo