Cleverclover

Name at least one thing that frightens you about the future

On 1/21/2019 at 4:48 PM, Phosphor said:

Increasing light pollution. Just look at the forecast for 2025. As an amateur astronomer, that's depressing. 

The cities will always be bright, but it's the growing suburbs that threaten rural skies. :(

Light pollution map.jpg

It’s not just the skies. Urban sprawl also contributes to increased commute times, as you not only have to drive farther from work, you have to experience miles-long congestion, which dominoes into increased air and noise pollution and wasted time. Suburbs are also much harder to serve by public transit and increase car dependency. 

Thankfully, younger people are moving back into the city, and sprawl has been slowing down in some cities. Some cities have even taken into creating “green belts”, a layer of undeveloped land around a city, to stop sprawl outright, or build upward instead of outward.

For me, it’s economic instability and being unable to find a decent job. I’m busy learning in university, but I’m still not too sure if I’ll be ready in the real world. Less personally, it would be uncontrolled, rampant automation. It might make parts of our lives easier, but if we let it go out of hand, millions of people may go jobless when they’re replaced by automatons and we have an economic crisis on our hands.

9 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Life itself, mainly because I am a total failure. I am 26, and I basically have no real future ahead of me. So the thought of possibly going homeless one day and having nothing left, that's scary. Also the thought of everything I do amounting to nothing isn't a great one either. I don't have any real hope for my future.

Certainly not meaning to be offensive, but do you do anything to better the situation, mostly as in seeking help?

Badges

Just now, Bas said:

Certainly not meaning to be offensive, but do you do anything to better the situation, mostly as in seeking help?

I take meds. That's about it. Anything else is up in the air because of my limited transportation. Not that I'm worth anything in the first place.

Badges

Just now, Kyoshi said:

I take meds. That's about it. Anything else is up in the air because of my limited transportation. Not that I'm worth anything in the first place.

What's your city again/how large is it?

Badges

I'd also mention my fears about my own future, but I've done that enough times. I'll just say that I'm afraid that my situation will get worse than it already is.

What scare me is that I'm always right about how it's gonna sucks.

Badges

Murphy's Law: Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.

Badges

I used to worry a lot that I wouldn't have friends in the future. I still worry about it, but I've mostly accepted the fact that I'll probably grow old and die alone by this point. I guess now I'm just scared about how being by myself nearly 24/7 is going to affect me as a person. In my career path, it's entirely possible to have literally zero coworkers.

Badges

On 1/25/2019 at 9:34 AM, Bas said:

What's your city again/how large is it?

He lives in Indiana. If you don't have a car you're out of luck because most of Indiana lacks public transit. Even Indianapolis only has buses and ranks as one of the worst cities in terms of walkability. 

Edited by Anneal