Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cars... in Equestria?

Twilight Sparkle ✨

I found this toy on Amazon which is supposed to be Pinkie's car. So it got me thinking... are there cars in Equestria? Because... there is no infrastructure, to my knowledge, to support automobiles. Then again, if you subscribe to Pencils's Genius Pinkie theory, it's possible that it's a one-off car that Pinkie built for herself and not a mass-produced model.

Posted Image

Video:

http-~~-//g-ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/A1yRZOGeqYS.mp4

How long has this toy been around? I know that Hasbro has put toys like Twilight's balloon and the season 2 train into the show before, so do you think we'll ever see this car?

It's most likely a marketing thing for toys. It's not in the show but they make toy cars because... they sell. That's what it ultimately comes down to. Toys do not always = canon.

• Brohoof 3

Well... if Rainbow Dash can have a remote control airplane, why can't Pinkie have a car?

The true and proper Rainbow Dash would be extremely offended by that toy.

Airplanes? Pfft. Those things are too damn slow.

• Brohoof 7

• 5 months later...
(edited)

Pinkie cruising' down main street in her pimpmobile. All the bitches wanna be her.

Edited by Evilshy
  • Brohoof 5

“it's possible that it's a one-off car that Pinkie built for herself and not a mass-produced model.”

Exactly. It's non-canonical material, so automobiles don't have any place in Equestria as far as we know currently.

The only type of transportation we know are trains that are at the same time horse-and-steam-powered (what? O_o), and carriages (i.e. A taxi in Putting Your Hoof Down), plus the many other horse-drawn objects.

Perhaps the big cities such as Manehattan (in the show, it has streets and sidewalks.) or Fillydelphia have cars and pinkie got it there, but since there isn't any room to drive it, she just keeps it in storage/garage/shed.

Perhaps the big cities such as Manehattan (in the show, it has streets and sidewalks.) or Fillydelphia have cars and pinkie got it there, but since there isn't any room to drive it, she just keeps it in storage/garage/shed.

Exactly. Maybe because Ponyville is more of a place to walk around than drive around.

Yeah, maybe manehatten and fillydelphia have cars. But it could also just be a marketing thing. I think it'd be kinda stupid if they did have cars though, they're ponies, running around should be just fine to them.

Though this thread was originally posted back in November, we have since seen a form of automobile in Equestria in the form of the Super Speed Cider Squeezy 6000. However, Feld0 is correct that there is little to no infrastructure to support vehicles in Equestria. The few cases of possible vehicles we've seen have all been carriages, pony drawn at that. Even the ambulance from Hearts and Hooves Day was a pony-drawn carriage.

Automobiles would have a few issues with Equestria, principally in their manner of control. Dexterous mouths, tails, and hooves or not, the wheel shape we use to control a vehicle just isn't doable for the Equestrians. Even a Unicorn might have trouble trying to turn a steering wheel properly, let alone a Pegasus or an Earth Pony. So in order to have an automobile, they would need to derive a much more effective means of control for it to serve their unique biology. I am not sure what that would be.

Though some would argue automobiles are useless because ponies can move faster on their hooves than humans can on their feet, I would argue strongly against that nation. A pony can't exactly move at full gallop for any real length of time, not to travel long distance, especially not if they're trying to carry something along with them. Even a canter would be too much over a long distance. So for personal transport, automobiles would still be useful. They would also be highly desirable for cargo transport and other purposes.

Will we see cars in the future? I doubt it, anymore than we'll see airplanes. The most we'll see are a few more devices along the lines of the SSCS6K.

• Brohoof 5

It's possible there are cars in Equestria that are powered by magic but until they appear in the show it's not canon. Likely they made the car cos what little girl doesn't love a pink car to put her pony in and drive her everywhere?

Legit cars for transportation? No, I don't think so. Go karts and other vehicles for recreation and individuals choice transportation on occasion? Yes, I think so.

Posted Image

• Brohoof 2