Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cars... in Equestria?

Twilight Sparkle ✨

Well... if Rainbow Dash can have a remote control airplane, why can't Pinkie have a car?

Posted Image

Although I believe this is last gen's Rainbow Dash

EWWW!

Cars in Equestria? Discord was here... Anyway... I think cars are a bad idea. Then, the streets would be crammed and it would look weird and stuff...

Well... if Rainbow Dash can have a remote control airplane, why can't Pinkie have a car?

Posted Image

Although I believe this is last gen's Rainbow Dash

Air Hogs and Hasbro should work together to make a Rainbow Dash model plane that could do all sorts of air maneuvers. It would sell a LOT.

Air Hogs and Hasbro should work together to make a Rainbow Dash model plane that could do all sorts of air maneuvers. It would sell a LOT.

I'd buy! Imagine a derpy model! That'd be sweet!

I personally hate the toys. Hate, hate, hate.

Indeed. Lauren may have all-ages/genderified the cartoon, but in my opinion the toys are still 100% girl toys xP

• Brohoof 1

And the part that sucks is that the franchise will forever be remembered with the toys as the focal point. To a lot of people, MLP:FiM is the show BASED off the toys. In that sense, the stereotype emerges that MLP:FiM is girl show. -_- Pisses me off.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

And the part that sucks is that the franchise will forever be remembered with the toys as the focal point. To a lot of people, MLP:FiM is the show BASED off the toys. In that sense, the stereotype emerges that MLP:FiM is girl show. -_- Pisses me off.

Well, that's their problem for stereotyping. WE know that the show is nothing like the toys :3 If they refuse to educate themselves otherwise by checking out the show and comparing it to the toys, then they're simply groundless opinions.

Edited by ~Chaotic Discord~
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fallout: Equestria does some tricks with vehicles. I know it's not canon and the circumstances aren't . . . ideal, but it's good speculation nonetheless. The idea of the sky-carriage basically gets expanded upon in a way that seems logical at least to me. All ground vehicles, save heavier machines like tanks, would appear to still work on muscle power. However, air vehicles could take full advantage of the pegasi ability to manipulate clouds and pull objects through the air under their own power. The bigger airships in the story are multi-part juggernauts connected and supported by clouds and pulled/operated by a single pegasus pony in the front. His or her load reduced by having a built in power source reduce the amount of work they have to do. There's also earth pony/unicorn inventions like Pinkie's flying contraption in "Griffon the Brush Off" and the flying yachts in "Sweet and Elite." So . . . . yeah they pretty much have everything BUT cars.

Edited by Steel Accord

(edited)

Well, she's Pinkie Pie, and as far as I'm concerned, none of the laws of physics in Equestria apply to her; for all we know, she probably manifested the car out of thin air! :lol:

Posted Image

Nah, just kidding, as others have said, the real explanation is probably that it's just a marketing ploy in Hasbro's bid to produce as much merchandise connected to the show as possible, and is completely non-canon... *sigh* still, it's such a boring explanation, I like my first one better! :P

Edited by Batbrony

• 4 years later...

Though this thread was originally posted back in November, we have since seen a form of automobile in Equestria in the form of the Super Speed Cider Squeezy 6000. However, Feld0 is correct that there is little to no infrastructure to support vehicles in Equestria. The few cases of possible vehicles we've seen have all been carriages, pony drawn at that. Even the ambulance from Hearts and Hooves Day was a pony-drawn carriage.

Automobiles would have a few issues with Equestria, principally in their manner of control. Dexterous mouths, tails, and hooves or not, the wheel shape we use to control a vehicle just isn't doable for the Equestrians. Even a Unicorn might have trouble trying to turn a steering wheel properly, let alone a Pegasus or an Earth Pony. So in order to have an automobile, they would need to derive a much more effective means of control for it to serve their unique biology. I am not sure what that would be.

Though some would argue automobiles are useless because ponies can move faster on their hooves than humans can on their feet, I would argue strongly against that nation. A pony can't exactly move at full gallop for any real length of time, not to travel long distance, especially not if they're trying to carry something along with them. Even a canter would be too much over a long distance. So for personal transport, automobiles would still be useful. They would also be highly desirable for cargo transport and other purposes.

Will we see cars in the future? I doubt it, anymore than we'll see airplanes. The most we'll see are a few more devices along the lines of the SSCS6K.

Well they have pony drawn carriages, 100 years from then they'd most likely have cars, not like the ones you see on the road, but really just simply finding a way for these carriages to move on their own.

Tech level in Equestria  is really weird.  Not only do various parts have wildly differing tech levels, but it's like Ponies in 1 area don't even remember that there ARE other tech levels

IMO,some parts of EQ have cars, but others don't 

Having cars exist in the world of Equestria, ultimately doesn't make a lot of a sense.

Why would a society controlled mostly of quadrupeds need to have cars.

Especially when their characters that can fly and teleport.

What ponies do not have is mass production and common parts.

So in essence something like Autos would be in the old shop days where people and small companies hand built their own.  This is why you can see things like flim-flam's contraption, but you don't see Model A's even though pony tech is beyond that for most things. 

Cars aren't so great in equine terms. Why struggle to have a piece of machinery that rarely goes much faster than trotting on your own? That includes having adverse road conditions consisting of mostly dirt and some rough cobblestone which is terrible to navigate in. Of course, cars are inefficient in delivering goods compare to manually drawn means of transportation since space and weight is constrained to house the mechanical bits since horse drawn carriages required none. The design of the controls would be really odd too due to hooves and the amount of finesse motor control required for automated machinery. Everything a pony can do on hoof is far easier than operating something of complexity especially of it's only use for individual needs.