Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thoughts on Sweet Apple Massacre?

SteveMorison

I honestly prefer "Cupcakes".  "Sweet Apple Massacre" seemed to be trying its best to be as messed up as possible (and it succeeded), which automatically ruined it.  It's not really a story at all.  It's just a bunch of disturbing scenes created for the sole purpose of getting a reaction out of people.  No real substance to it, just attempts at shocking the audience.  As such, I'm not a fan of it in the slightest.

• Brohoof 1

It's a story created for shocking attention and reactions, I don't really think there's anything else to it. It's not very impressive judging it's story and the composition from a structural view. The only reason it seems to be created is so people will be shocked by it and spread it out saying "Dude, check out this messed up gorefic!"

Also, people saying that the writer needs psychological help are idiots. Just because you're easily shocked/offended does not mean that the writer is in fault for not being passive enough. You're the one in fault.

No one in here mentioned it, but i believe (based on prev talk) that it was written by an older brother to troll his younger brony brother. It was not written by a brony but by a troll to be as controversial and outrageous to the subject matter as possible. It's not truly representative of the fandom's dark or gorefics when it's not written BY a fan or someone who respects the show. It was successful in being very infamous but it's MEANT to be disliked. It's also been repetitively voted as the worst fimfiction, period.

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

It was Meh.

It tried so hard to be shocking it just ended up being dull. 

Also while Cupcakes had Pinkie eerily in character the whole time, I could not see a spec of Big Mac's persona in that fic. Course if he WAS in character he wouldn't of done those things so...

• 2 months later...

Just some follow up thoughts on this topic. Although I don't like Cupcakes either at least cupcakes has some elements of wonder. Whilst we know Pinkie Pie is not evil enough to carry out the actions she did in Cupcakes, she is a random enough character to make you stop and think "would she do something like this?" There is absolutely no trait in Big Mac that will make you think "Could he rape and murder 3 fillies including his younger sister?".

That was.. well.. something, to say the least.

Kinda hard for me to associate cute little ponies to this kinda stuff, but whatever.  :P  

Edited by Guest

No one in here mentioned it, but i believe (based on prev talk) that it was written by an older brother to troll his younger brony brother. It was not written by a brony but by a troll to be as controversial and outrageous to the subject matter as possible. It's not truly representative of the fandom's dark or gorefics when it's not written BY a fan or someone who respects the show. It was successful in being very infamous but it's MEANT to be disliked. It's also been repetitively voted as the worst fimfiction, period.

Honestly I haven't read it, but the fact that this was done sounds hilarious xD

Dickish older brother ofc but still

I don't really tend to go for grimdark stuff anyway, is never in character and just seems silly >.<

I haven't read it, but I will say my piece on grimdark in general, because seeing people react to it makes me feel like it's very fitting.

On the rare occasion that I read a gore-fic, I judge it for what it is, a story. I don't immediately say "oh, it's gore, therefore it's stupid and was only written for attention" because sometimes gore is used to tell a very interesting and effective story. If you don't believe me, look up an interactive novel called Song of Saya. It's one of the most messed up stories, but though I haven't read it yet a look at the plot synopsis and a review were enough to show me that it was written with purpose, and told a very thought-provoking story.

On the flipside, if a gore fic is written poorly or with the intent to shock without reason or explore some sick fantasy, then I'm going to call it like it is. I won't say "oh, it's gore, so I can't critique it like any other story", because that's how genres of storytelling die. Anytime you say that you can't hold a genre like gore or comedy or erotica or anything else up to the same standards as "serious genres", it allows those genres to be filled with horrible stories that people then consume because that's just what they think that genre's supposed to be like.

If and when I ever read Sweet Apple Massacre (which I probably won't honestly, as themes of rape make me extremely uncomfortable), I'm going to judge it like I would judge any other story, point blank. I would never judge a story any other way.

Ha, didn't think my first post would be on this topic.

There's Grimdark and then there's Grimderp, Sweet Apple Massacre being the latter. It's clearly meant to be shock schlock but the ridiculous level of gore and violent sexual depravity with no semblance of rhyme or reason makes it almost comical. A mistake many creepypastas make too, I find.

Edited by Chrysa

Cupcakes is actually really solidly written and much better than all the copycats that followed in it's wake. I'm not going to compare Sweet Apple Massacre to Cupcakes as so many in this thread have been doing.

I read Sweet Apple Massacre in my dig through all the awful MLP gorefics a few years ago. It is disgusting and it's complete trash and It's the worst MLP gorefic I have read. Is what I would have told you back in 2012. While the fanfic is still trash, and disgusting, it is no longer the worst MLP gorefic I have read. No, that honor goes to Cheerliee's Garden witch is pretty much worse in every way and tries way too hard to be some saw shit. 

Sometimes people just want to write something morbid, and there will be folks who will want to read it. When I first entered the fandom, it definitely made me curious on what so "horrible" about it.

It was okay. I also thought it was worst (in terms of gore and such) than Cupcakes. Cupcakes seemed pretty light compared to what had been done to those fillies.

I've read it. I found it pretty gross, but I wasn't traumatised by it, mainly because of how out of character Maccy was.

Just by the acts portrayed, you can just tell it was made for shock value, much like how AxCx did it.

It's on the level of the LOTR crapfic Celebrian (no, I am NOT linking it). Extremely OOC, boring and obviously written by a troll trying to shock.

I've read true crime, viewed autopsy and murder scene photos (including the gory Black Dahlia pics) so I have a pretty strong stomach, but I just don't see the point of taking characters from a children's TV show and writing fics like that.

What strikes me as strange is that the only fics to get horse-famous are those released very early in the fandom (MLD, Cupcakes, FOE, Past Sins, SAM, etc). I bet if you guys dug around for a bit you'd find something infinitely more fucked up than SAM.

What strikes me as strange is that the only fics to get horse-famous are those released very early in the fandom (MLD, Cupcakes, FOE, Past Sins, SAM, etc). I bet if you guys dug around for a bit you'd find something infinitely more fucked up than SAM.

Nothing to do with gore but with regards to fanfics I would definately recommend bride of discord.

It's disgusting. It made me want to throw up.. Of course people can write and share what they want, but this was truly messed up. Personally, I don't think it was well written, it was too rushed. However it was in detail.. meh :mellow:

Edited by SattyEgg

This fanfic is a sh... very bad. The story is poor, Big Mac is out of character and his aggressive behavior has no explanation.

I bet the author of SAM is not a fetishist. I know many people who write gore stories to calm down their nerves and I bet he's one of them. Anyway, this fanfic never should be published. And I don't mean that this FF is scary. I mean that this is just bad.

It was a failed attempt at shock horror that left me wishing for time I spent reading it back. 

edit: Oh looks like I commented on this already, looks like my opinion on it hasn't changed all that much lol 

Edited by Buck Testa

• 6 years later...
On 2015-01-29 at 8:42 PM, The Wife of Rengoku said:

That fan fiction was hilarious.

I laughed all the way through! XD

Just because the stiry they write was gory and sexually explicit, doesn't mean that they need psychiatric help.

Some people are just into that sort of writing. Me being one of them.

Completely agree. It felt less "scary" and more forced than anything similar to most any of the MLP grimdark stories, including Cupcakes. Only way it could really be scary is if you look at say...Saw and see that as the most terrifying thing ever.

• Brohoof 1

Three words: ow the edge

:Cozy:

I think MLP grimdark is pretty funny. Maybe not haha funny (except when it is!) but conceptually silly. The juxtaposition between bouncy cutesy ponies and uber grotesque imagery has been done to death (no pun intended) to the point where it's probably never gonna be haha funny ever again, but it still works as a way of getting people's attention. It definitely did that back when the brony fandom was in its infancy, anyway.

I don't think it's an especially poorly written or well written fic. I don't think it brings anything new to the table wrt being a horror fic and I don't believe it woulda gained any traction in the modern day, and in all honesty I think a lotta people write it off as being Objectively Trashy just to get a sweet, sweet hit of much needed copium. That said, I'm a horror fan and a gorehound. I once thought it was The Best Thing Ever when ponies were crammed into anything else I liked, and I was insecure enough that those things had to be more traditionally macho and xXhArDcOrEXx in order to overshadow the fact that I was enjoying little girls' media. MLP grimdark, SAM included, gave me what I wanted in spades. Kids, amirite?

So I guess my take is the same as everyone else's except I look back on SAM with dreamy sighs of nostalgia lol. 'Sides, I could never be truly offended by something solely made to offend people for the same reason I can't laugh at a joke someone insists on explaining to me. Like, I get it man, augh ough rape and murder, no no those is bad things, ahhhh this is me screaming in pearl clutching terror. Puhleeeease.

• Brohoof 1

I've heard all I need to know about it and I don't care enough to read it myself. I'm pretty sick and tired of those types of fanfictions personally.