Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's your self esteem like? Has it changed?

iceestarz

Thinking about it over the last few years of my life I had zero confidence in myself. Ever since 6th grade I battled with low self esteem and social anxiety. I felt ugly and hated myself. But over this last year I have a renewed confidence.

Granted I'm not 100% confident in myself, but I feel better about my appearance. Saw a dermatologist for my acne, saw a psychiatrist for my anxiety. Basically I just stopped beating myself up and tried to get help. My braces and jaw surgery has even helped me with my smile. Before I was bullied by this girl because my smile made me look...meh. But now my smile is a lot better and it's made me a lot happier. :P

• Brohoof 5

I've always had a low self-esteem and it's slightly higher now but not by much, I absolutely hate the way I look and I have the most obnoxious personality ever, I'm also perfect so...

My self esteem is an absolute neutral state

I'm only at my best if I believe I can win or do something about it, if not, then I tend to give it all I got if I know it's hopeless

It can also affect my views towards everyone, depending on the hopes and friendships I make

So no, as long as I can remember, I haven't changed since

My self esteem is about 0. I am scared and stressed by math, and sometimes I just want an end to me when I'm staring at a paper.

I just can't seem to post anything happy because I'm never happy..

Edited by gamecubeguy214

I don't have much of a focus on any sense of self-esteem when it comes to my day to day life. That probably sounds weird or pretentious. I have little interest in the opinions of others regarding myself which leaves me with less basis of comparison for my self image. If I feel what I'm doing is good or bad for me then that's how I'll feel unless I change my mind or I'm proven wrong by some outside source.

I used to actually have confidence in myself. But in a normal non-narcissistic manor. But ever since I started high school my self esteem has dropped.I met a friend this year who thinks she's 'teasing' me when she's constantly calling me stupid or special. A I feel confidence in most normal places lie when I am writing or drawing. But when it comes to grades I actually feel stupid.

I would say mine's fairly high but not too high telling from my personal motto. Why? Because I've been through a lot in life and it kinda helps me get through the good and bad. It also prevents any suicidal thoughts from plaguing my brain. While at times I feel disappointed at myself, I almost never hate myself.

Edited by Poppy_The_Vixen
  • Brohoof 1

I basically had normal-ish self esteem up until around the fourth grade. I don't know if it's "normal" because it actually was normal, or if that's just what I consider normal as it's my reference point, but anyway...

During the fifth grade, my self-esteem dropped a little, to the point where it was below average. That was regained later in the year, and then in the sixth grade, it was higher than average. It went back down again in the seventh grade, then back up in the eighth grade. During that time period, every two years was basically a cycle. Odd grades were bad, even grades were good.

In the ninth grade, my self esteem fell so far down that I wanted to stop living. I didn't think I could do anything, but I had enough understanding of the world to think I was a burden on society. I wanted to die during that time, as I thought that I was just taking up food, water, and air for people who were superior to me.

Tenth grade was a major improvement, and that year my self esteem went back up to average. Eleventh grade was probably my best year, and it went up to its highest point. During that time, I became more than just a little arrogant. I basically thought I was superior to people.

In the twelfth grade, I started to fall back down to Earth. That arrogance drifted, and by the time I graduated high school, I was a lot more level-headed. I didn't lose my self esteem, but it returned to normal levels.

I graduated in 2012, so I'll say that during 2013, my self esteem went back down. That following year was a very difficult time for me, as it is for most people. I was going through a rough time, and getting kinda lost with my life. My self esteem went down considerably.

2014 was even worse. If 2013 was like falling out of the back of a truck, 2014 was like being run over by another truck behind it. My self esteem went from a low point to an unfathomably low point. During that year, it was even lower than it was in the ninth grade. I was basically convinced I was the most hated, most worthless, and most unlikable person in all of existence. It was all the result of just a few unfortunate events, but everything hit me pretty hard.

This year, I'm doing a little better now. I'm back in the range of what I'd consider normal self esteem, and it feels pretty damn good after I've been hating myself for the past two years.

• Brohoof 2

I personally have a really high self-esteem and it has been so for years.  I mean, I'm no where near what people would call handsome, and I'm not that healthy or active, but regardless of what others think of me, I can be myself and no one can take that away from me.  I'm happy to be me.  I actually find it somewhat rewarding when others feel like they have to take from their time to make an effort to bring me down.  It's kind of flattering.  

If someone is trying to bring you down, remember, it's because you are just that awesome!

Now mind you I'm not cocky and my life has been far from perfect; however, I'm just optimistic enough to find good things wherever I can, but not so optimistic that I lose my sense of reality.

You should check out my motto.  I do live by it. ^^

Edited by Harmony 13
  • Brohoof 1

If I told you about my self esteem last August, I would be very mopey and bitter about life.

These days I now have high self esteem because of what I've learned over the past few months. Since I lost a lot of things on August, I knew I had to fix my self esteem quickly by not sitting on my computer all day and going outside. It took me a while, but in the end all of that hard work payed off. There are still some things that make me nervous, but overall I'm happy with where I'm going.

I also had to fix my self esteem by sleeping properly. My sleeping pattern has always been irregular, but thanks to talking with my psychologist I now get better night sleeps and feel refreshed whenever I wake up. I still tend to forget about it, but it has made me a better person regardless.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 1

I'm becoming more confident lately, but I still have a ways to go =/ I can't start conversations because I think my topics would be boring, I blame myself for the smallest things, have to use a shitload of emoticons because I'm paranoid that what I'll say may offend someone if I don't clarify my every feeling and motivation that way... yeah... :(

I'm getting better, though! ^_^Slowly... :P

Edited by Edwardo_Brony
  • Brohoof 1

I'm still learning about myself.  Still have mixed feelings about the guy in the mirror (I mean me - I don't think some weirdo with unkempt hair inhabits my mirror).  Though, largely due to the influence of a winged blue ponywoman, I've been far more social as of late than I had in years.  More willing to put myself out there; despite a reemerging and familiar anxiety.  The only kind of "bravery" I think myself capable of is being unabashed.  Shameless, even.  Before I can begin to accept myself for who I am, I have to first be myself.

I'm doing all right, I think.

I've struggled with on and off self esteem issues through the course of my life. I think I've got an okay face most of the time, then naturally there are times when I'll look at another gal and be like, "Why can't I be a pretty girl like that, all the time?" Weight issues are a big thing for me too. My family differentiates me among my siblings and cousins as "the fat one." I'll admit, I am chubby but not big, big. Despite that, I'm struggling with my weight because its not ideal. Why can't I just be skinny, why do I have to be a size 0 to have others think I'm pretty?

When I'm not thinking about that stuff, otherwise I'm okay. I have cute days.

Actually, mine is lower than before. I used to not care about my appearance and stuff like that, but as I got older I began to care. And also things have happened to greatly embarrass me and make me want to lock myself in my room for thirteen years.

And so I say again: Sometimes I wish I could just be an introvert.

• Brohoof 1

My self-esteem has improved greatly over the past year... So quickly too. Used to always feel so crappy about myself, still do. in some ways but not like before. Have a lot more confidence in my looks, and a lot better at being social than I used to.

Back in Primary School it was fine, since back then I was very lively. I was a really charismatic and cheerful person, then towards the beginning of High School, in Year 7, my self-esteem plummeted. Apparently being "overly-friendly" is seen as a bad thing to people. So people basically didn't like the fact I was extremely friendly and didn't want to make any enemies at all. Welp, in the process of not trying to make enemies, I made enemies who tried to bully me at a lot of times.

Nowadays, 2 years afterwards, my self esteem is a lot better. I've learned just to completely ignore what those people think of me. And I've adopted a moral phrase that I try to always follow when I can "Live and let live." I'm just going to live my life as I want to, carefree mostly and ignore what peoples' hateful and brash opinions of me are.

My self-esteem has always been extremly low. It's hard to remember a time when I didn't hate myself. That said, I am feeling just a little bit better about myself lately. Primarily because I've managed to lose a fair amount of weight in the past year.

I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel just yet but I know it's there somewere ahead in the darkness.

Oh yeah, my self esteem is definitely up. Around this time last year I was depressed, stressed and hated myself for being stupid and ugly. Fast forward a year I am no longer depressed or hate myself, I'm still stressed but as an 18 year old I have a right to be stressed. I mean I'm still ugly but I don't care I'm happy with who I am.

Now this all didn't come about out of nowhere, last November my dad passed away and he was my favourite person in the world, so with him gone I hit a very low point of depression in my life but eventually I got through it and all of a sudden the bad things didn't seem so bad anymore. That was when my self esteem really went because I realised that my life hadn't been horrible because I had the best dad ever