Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Does the EG world physically exist? What is its ontological nature?

Pinkie-Guy

• 4 weeks later...

I think it's another universe.  While I know the comics aren't necessarily canon, in the "Reflections" comic, the mane six go through another, very similar mirror to a world where everypony's moralities were inverted.  The good were evil and the evil were good.  I know that universe physically exists because it nearly fused together with the Equestria from the show.  Because the portals to both worlds are so similar to each other, I think it's safe to assume the same is true for the world of EqG.

I think it's another universe.  While I know the comics aren't necessarily canon, in the "Reflections" comic, the mane six go through another, very similar mirror to a world where everypony's moralities were inverted.  The good were evil and the evil were good.  I know that universe physically exists because it nearly fused together with the Equestria from the show.  Because the portals to both worlds are so similar to each other, I think it's safe to assume the same is true for the world of EqG.

Indeed, it does seem to imply coexistence over time.

My interpretation is that it does indeed exist. The mirror serves as a portal between different universes. One of my headcanons is that the foundation of everything is harmony, and I think it's interesting that the portal Twilight and Spike travelled through was rainbow in color. It's like they were travelling through the essence of life itself to jump to another plane.

My interpretation is that it does indeed exist. The mirror serves as a portal between different universes. One of my headcanons is that the foundation of everything is harmony, and I think it's interesting that the portal Twilight and Spike travelled through was rainbow in color. It's like they were travelling through the essence of life itself to jump to another plane.

Maybe the portal itself is like harmony without anything else, and the different universes are different manifestations of the same common harmony.  It's like tapping into the force.

• Brohoof 1

I tend to look at it in a similar vein to the TMNT movie "Turtle Forever" which detailed that a LARGE number of alternate universes existed in which a team of TMNT existed.

I think the same could be applied to the mirror concept in MLP. We have the world in which Canterlot High exists and we have the alternate universe where the good Sombra existed; which leads me to believe that there could possibly be other worlds as such out there.

• 3 months later...

In other words, when you go through the mirror, do you actually transport to another, physical world, or is the world perhaps entirely within the mirror itself?  How do we define its existence (ontology)?

I've thought that maybe it's the later, but then how do you animate the inhabitants of the EG world?

Honestly, I think it's another universe separate from Equestria.  For one thing, the EqG world is very similar to our own and that can't be a coincidence.  For another, the show itself has touched on the idea of other universes besides just the EqG world.  Two examples are Discord's chaos dimension and that weird sock puppet world Discord threatened to send Tree Huger to.  Also, if you count the IDW comics as canon (I'd understand if you didn't) there's also the inverted morality universe.  If all those worlds physically exist, I don't see why the EqG world couldn't also be real.

(edited)

Man wish I joined this convo earlier.

I like to think of the Human World as the reflection of the current state of Equestria. And as a result has no unique past.

-If Granny Smith in her youth were to go through the mirror, she would be at Canterlot High as a student, and Celestia would still be the principle, because as it's the reflection of how things were back in her day.

-If Twilight in her elder years went into the mirror, she would be old, but Celestia would still be a principle and no one would feel any different, like that's how things always were.

-I feel like Human Celestia and Luna are the only instance of these anomalies, given how their counter parts are basically gods. They are very peculiar.

-The reason why Alternate Twilight is a loner at Crystal Prep is because Pony Sunset unnaturally took her place as friends of the Humane 5, upsetting the order between both world. This would end up causing the human world to start creating a unique fate for itself, as she's a variable the pony world does not have anymore.

-When the Sirens were banished, their existence was that of a Schrodinger's cat scenario. They both existed and not existed until Sunset "opened" the theoretical box. They were basically in limbo for 1000 years

My crazy theory is that the Human World was a reality created for Sunset, to teach her that magic and ambition wasn't everything, by giving her a world without magic.

Edited by Ickery
  • Brohoof 3

I like to think of the Human World as the reflection of the current state of Equestria. And as a result has no unique past.

I like the idea that the human world is dependent upon the pony world.

-The reason why Alternate Twilight is a loner at Crystal Prep is because Pony Sunset unnaturally took her place as friends of the Humane 5, upsetting the order between both world. This would end up causing the human world to start creating a unique fate for itself, as she's a variable the pony world does not have anymore.

What about the possibility of a pre-existing human Sunset Shimmer? If she doesn't exist, why is she the exception? Did the pony version overwrite the old version? If so, what about the original Twilight human that we know exists?

When the Sirens were banished, their existence was that of a Schrodinger's cat scenario. They both existed and not existed until Sunset "opened" the theoretical box. They were basically in limbo for 1000 years

You mean they only existed in an almost abstract sense? Maybe they were banished there before the rest of the world was formed around them. Does this mean that the rest of the human world both did and did not exist prior to Sunset Shimmer?  Perhaps that means then that there is no original human Sunset Shimmer.

My crazy theory is that the Human World was a reality created for Sunset, to teach her that magic and ambition wasn't everything, by giving her a world without magic.

I really like the idea that the human reality is based somehow on Sunset herself. Can you elaborate on how this might work?

(edited)

I think there is a Human Sunset, and maybe the world's final test would be to have her befriend herself. It's pretty poetic.

As for where she is, she could be at Crystal Prep with that "Better than everyone else" attitude everyone else in there seems to have.

Edited by Ickery
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think there is a Human Sunset, and maybe the world's final test would be to have her befriend herself. It's pretty poetic.

As for where she is, she could be at Crystal Prep with that "Better than everyone else" attitude everyone else in there seems to have.

That would be more ironic than poetic...

The Occam´s Razor says three entities are more relevant than one; then there is no reason for the sirens to NOT create a world designed to show them why creating mistrust and animosity is not morally good (but do it with Sunset Shimmer because... why?).

While the existence of "Principal Celestia" seems to defy common sense [the case for Luna can be handwaved as she was not "alive" on the moon, being instead fosilized dark regolith over the surface]. It would be rather curious WHY she was "born" in this particular era (instead of 1000+ years ago) just "to match" another background pony living near the mirror.

- - - -

Three inmortal weird girls doing "not much" for about 1000 years (without anyone noticing) it is hard to believe.

Much more strange would be an explanation for the base of the portal of the horse statue to pop in the middle of... nowhere, USA [some tribe territory]; (unless C.H.S. is located in a small ancient city somewhere in Europe [Greece perhaps?]. )

The new trailers for EG3 shows raw equestrian magic opening "random natural portals" to other worlds (probably just to Equestria, somewhere in the deep of the Everfree Forest).

The history book Twilight readed did not explained HOW Starswirl banished the sirens (in fact, it does not even acknowledge it "as a fact", but rather a mere rumor).

The pictures vagely sugest the use of a big "air portal" sucking them alongside some clouds. But if he did not used the mirror, then they would not be humans on the other side...

- - - - -

My theory is that the mirror was "disabled" by Starswirl after banish them using it (so they could not come back, since the other world lacks of the right kind of magic to open natural portals).

Then the (flashback) Sonic Rainboom of "Cutiemark Chronicles" [s1E23] not only unlocked superspeed for a blue filly pegasus, a "God Mode" for a purple filly unicorn, and reality warping for a pink filly earth pony; but it also reactivated the mirror.

Since the mirror was forced to open without guidance, it locks itself to one of the many parallel universes who matched perfectly all sentient beings currently alive around it [this explains both "Principal Celestia" and the lack of parents for human AppleJack by "lack of divergence", instead of pure coincidence].

- - - - -

In the movie "Equestria Girls", Celestia says: 

Princess Celestia: "Sunset Shimmer. A former student of mine. She began her studies with me not long before Twilight ... she eventually decided to abandon her studies and pursue her own path..."

She never says "Sunset leaved Equestria before Twilight became my protegee"; because Sunset was just "another student" for her (if maybe the only one smart/advanced enough to need Celestia´s teaching).

By investigating "the anomaly" of the Sonic Rainboom, Sunset found the reactivated mirror of Starswirl; thinking that maybe that great  unknow burst of power could have come from the other side.

The sirens of Rainbow Rocks are probably NOT THE SAME ones Starswirl banished from "Equestria Prime"; but dopplegangers  sended there by another Starswirl from another parallel equestria

Edited by SilverComet